Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-16-2011, 03:27 PM   #25096
YamRZ350
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawdaddy View Post
I may have them re-do the top of my WR seat. I think I'd prefer a "non-gripper" top for dualsporting. May just have them use the same side panel material on the top.

That's sorta what I did with mine, they put the gripper on the sides and the carbon fiber looking stuff on top. It works well, kinda like the Stompgrip used on sportbikes.

I like the seat, but could do without the crown shape on top.
YamRZ350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 03:34 PM   #25097
justlookin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 218
sweetcheeks

My favorite long distance secret weapon. Such a simple device and I even wrap it in cloth and use it for a pillow camping.
justlookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 04:04 PM   #25098
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,849
Hmmmm. How does that help? Is it just the thought of it? Less material == less seams? The urgent desire to go home and see those in real life?

Ah, just search for them with "motorcycle" attached to the query ... but that part is really boring now.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 04:14 PM   #25099
NED RECK
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Bluhduh

OH HELL,,,, LOOKS LIKE I'M A "C".
• We are all users. Most everyone seeks to intentionally affect consciousness in one way or another, from caffeine and alcohol to practices such as yoga or running. We support the use of pharmaceuticals to manage moods.
So we should rethink “use,” especially the urge to get high, as a human appetite and broaden our understanding of that desire.
NED RECK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 04:15 PM   #25100
wtiger
Submariner

Oddometer: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
Hmmmm. How does that help? Is it just the thought of it? Less material == less seams? The urgent desire to go home and see those in real life?

Ah, just search for them with "motorcycle" attached to the query ... but that part is really boring now.
hahahahahahaha

i wear the pink ones...
wtiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 06:34 PM   #25101
Stormy Weather
skier turned bike nut

Oddometer: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post

You just made my day! That.... is.... awesome.
Old 10-16-2011, 06:53 PM   #25102
Cromoth
Inspection due 5_31

Oddometer: 540
tire iron heat shield

Made a heat shield from tire spoons/irons to protect my Giant Loop Coyote.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=721573
Strong enuf to lift the bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR1 View Post
Yeah, I know about that mount. I even spoke to emerson.biguns a few weeks ago.

I guess I shoulda said "anyone know of a presently available left side Rotopax mount?"

BTW, I plan to use a Coyote bag, so the Wolfman racks won't work for me.

Thanks,
Steve
Attached Images

Cromoth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 07:09 PM   #25103
Cromoth
Inspection due 5_31

Oddometer: 540
pix

Here's my setup; works well so far. I think it's what you're describing. GL straps hold the drybag on. Any tail plate you want will work, modded to hold the Rotopax. Just bring another strap for stuff that goes on top of Rotopax. Another benefit is I still have my helmet lock & passenger pegs, which are both used.

Quote:
OK, I'm game for this discussion, so I looked at the setup on the Wolfman site and I'd still have to buy the Wolfman racks just to put this Rotopax plate on, right?

Again, I probably worded it wrong, it's not that it won't work, it's that I don't want to put the entire Wolfman rack on just for the luxury of putting a Rotopax canister on the bike. Please clear me up here, thanks.
Attached Images

Cromoth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 12:56 AM   #25104
SR1
I'm a Seoul Man...

Oddometer: 4,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by skierd View Post
Yes to use the wolfman rotopax rack you'll need at least their left side rack. Why not just bolt the rotopax in the place where the rear rack normally goes like some others have done? Any reason other than the understandable one of price that you're not interested in the wolfman racks?

Skierd, as far as putting it on "where everyone else does" (I already have a plate on the rear fender I could attach it to), I really don't want to have 1-2 gallons that high up. the side mount moves it lower, and yes, the "understandable" reason is THE reason I'm not keen on adding the Woflman rack. More money thrown.

I may just switch to the 4.7 gallon tank and call it good. (prepping for TAT next year, don't want to run dry)

General concerns are:
-I plan to upgrade the exhaust prior to the TAT trip and won't have empirical data on fuel economy with my gearing (13/47),
-Basically I have to step off an airplane, spin the wrenches to finalize my WR for the trip, and get started in 3-7 days (its already close)
-I don't want the bike to become topheavy because I put a 1 or 2 gallon jug at the top rear of the bike on a plate
---Benefit to this is it makes lifting the front wheel over trees slightly easier.
-I don't want to pay for the Wolfman racks, I don't see a big need for that expense.

On the other hand, if I add the 4.7 gallon tank (essentially just for the TAT, then resell it), ability to lift the front wheel may be compromised some, but it does lower and center the additional weight...

Hmmm...
My TAT trip will hopefully bring more attention to the need for more Cancer Research! Please go to http://www.gofundme.com/bxkt74 and check it out! No money goes to me or family, all to cancer research! Please donate at the location!!! Thanks!

SR1 screwed with this post 10-17-2011 at 01:04 AM
SR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 06:54 AM   #25105
Saltydog86
village idiot

Oddometer: 976
Quote:

-I don't want the bike to become topheavy because I put a 1 or 2 gallon jug at the top rear of the bike on a plate
---Benefit to this is it makes lifting the front wheel over trees slightly easier.

Hmmm...
I use my bike on single track and dual sport rides with the 4.75 and notice no difference in the way it handles. Your already on a 300lb bike, and extra 15 is not going to be a problem.

On a side note...does anybody else run with the air box door off? I took it off for a ride yesterday and liked the bit of extra power from it.
05 Yamaha XT225
03 Honda Goldwing GL1800
Saltydog86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 07:24 AM   #25106
onetravdown
I can't ride where?

Oddometer: 885
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltydog86 View Post
I use my bike on single track and dual sport rides with the 4.75 and notice no difference in the way it handles.
Sorry, but I have to call BS on this statement. There is absolutely a noticeable handling difference with the 4.75. Especially on single track. Besides the increase in weight, the big IMS tank has VERY noticeable fuel sloshing that upsets the handling. If you are riding in more wide open spaces going straight, you'll be fine. But anything tighter or more technical, you'll use a lot of energy counter-steering against the sloshing. It got so bad, that I traded the IMS for a Safari. Iit handles much better now.
onetravdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 07:53 AM   #25107
Nice_Rumble
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,200
Quote:
Originally Posted by trav72 View Post
Sorry, but I have to call BS on this statement. There is absolutely a noticeable handling difference with the 4.75. Especially on single track. Besides the increase in weight, the big IMS tank has VERY noticeable fuel sloshing that upsets the handling. If you are riding in more wide open spaces going straight, you'll be fine. But anything tighter or more technical, you'll use a lot of energy counter-steering against the sloshing. It got so bad, that I traded the IMS for a Safari. Iit handles much better now.
+1. Sold the Safari. Replaced it with a 3.1 IMS while retaining the OEM looks. If I need more range I slap on a 2 gallon Rotopax on a emerson.biguns side rack.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/212396922304662/
Nice_Rumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 08:45 AM   #25108
SR1
I'm a Seoul Man...

Oddometer: 4,291
Which is EXACTLY why I'd love to get one of those emerson.biguns side racks.

I have the 3.1 tank, I would just like to carry a Rotopax...low.\

Is there by chance a tank pannier option I could go with, and carry extra fuel there?
My TAT trip will hopefully bring more attention to the need for more Cancer Research! Please go to http://www.gofundme.com/bxkt74 and check it out! No money goes to me or family, all to cancer research! Please donate at the location!!! Thanks!
SR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 08:59 AM   #25109
GSBS
FunHog

Oddometer: 3,868
Quote:
Which is EXACTLY why I'd love to get one of those emerson.biguns side racks.

I have the 3.1 tank, I would just like to carry a Rotopax...low.\

Is there by chance a tank pannier option I could go with, and carry extra fuel there?
Have you considered going to the larger 4.75-gallon IRC tank. I bet you could recoup much of the cost toward the larger tank by selling your 3.1.

I've had mine for a few months now and would never go back to carrying gas. It just seems silly to me now.

My low fuel light typically comes on between 175 and 200 miles and due to the different placement of the fuel pump/sensor, I've still got nearly 1.5 gallons when the light comes on with this tank. To simplify things I just plan on filling up every 225 miles and I have plenty of cushion.

The bike's handling is hardly compromised with the larger tank either. In fact, it's exactly the same size between your legs and only the wings stick out at the front.

To deal with the extra weight of the gas I just make sure I fill up at least a hundred miles before whatever trail I'm going to ride. Then the weight is about the same as with the stock tank filled up to 2 gallons.

Anyway, to me, carrying 1.5 or 2 gallons of fuel on one side using a rear rack is much more of a compromise in balance than the same amount of fuel in the fuel tank that is centered to the bike. And most of the additional fuel is carried low in the wings.

I couldn't be happier with the big IMS tank. It was the final missing piece of the puzzle to make this a great DS, do-anything, go-anywhere bike!

My 2¢
GSBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 09:23 AM   #25110
Rider_WV
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSBS View Post
Have you considered going to the larger 4.75-gallon IRC tank. I bet you could recoup much of the cost toward the larger tank by selling your 3.1.

I've had mine for a few months now and would never go back to carrying gas. It just seems silly to me now.

My low fuel light typically comes on between 175 and 200 miles and due to the different placement of the fuel pump/sensor, I've still got nearly 1.5 gallons when the light comes on with this tank. To simplify things I just plan on filling up every 225 miles and I have plenty of cushion.

The bike's handling is hardly compromised with the larger tank either. In fact, it's exactly the same size between your legs and only the wings stick out at the front.

To deal with the extra weight of the gas I just make sure I fill up at least a hundred miles before whatever trail I'm going to ride. Then the weight is about the same as with the stock tank filled up to 2 gallons.

Anyway, to me, carrying 1.5 or 2 gallons of fuel on one side using a rear rack is much more of a compromise in balance than the same amount of fuel in the fuel tank that is centered to the bike. And most of the additional fuel is carried low in the wings.

I couldn't be happier with the big IMS tank. It was the final missing piece of the puzzle to make this a great DS, do-anything, go-anywhere bike!

My 2¢
i agree 100%

yes there is some fuel slosh in tighter slow speed stuff with the 4.7gal, it is noticeable in certain situations. Its not a deal breaker for me, I enjoy riding and not worrying about gas.

If I am riding very technical WV/OH singletrack I leave the WR at home and take the YZ. Its more fun in really nasty stuff. Hell I wouldnt even take the WR on our good single track with the stock tank. too bulky, too heavy and too much work.
Rider_WV is offline   Reply With Quote