User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-21-2011, 09:03 AM   #25216
Crawdaddy
Navigate 2 Adventure

Oddometer: 2,188
Cardinal Rule

Remember the Cardinal Rule of packing for a road trip on your bike......

Make two piles........one pile of "stuff" and one pile of $$

Ok, now cut the "stuff" pile in half and double the amount of $$ you intend to bring along

See how easy that was?

I haven't been able to get away for a trip lasting more than a week due to work/family commitments......That said, the approach would be the same whether one week or one month....synthetic/layers/easily washable.....periodic resupply of food, tires, etc.....
http://www.WhereAmIRiding.com
Crawdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 09:29 AM   #25217
IdahoRenegade
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawdaddy View Post
Remember the Cardinal Rule of packing for a road trip on your bike......

Make two piles........one pile of "stuff" and one pile of $$

Ok, now cut the "stuff" pile in half and double the amount of $$ you intend to bring along

See how easy that was?

I haven't been able to get away for a trip lasting more than a week due to work/family commitments......That said, the approach would be the same whether one week or one month....synthetic/layers/easily washable.....periodic resupply of food, tires, etc.....
Easier said than done...I already spent all my $$ on stuff! I agree with the sentiment though. If you can pack/camp for 2-3 days, you don't need any more for weeks, other than a resupply of food on a regular basis.
IdahoRenegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 11:48 AM   #25218
marbee40
Some Fear is Good

Oddometer: 1,077
Wolfman info

Called Wolfman with numerous silly questions like "Will the rack assy from a DRZ400S work on the WRR/X?" Of course not, but I had to ask as I found one for sale on another thread.

On a positive note: Wolfman will be having a "sale" in December. Be there or be square!

J

marbee40 screwed with this post 10-23-2011 at 12:34 AM
marbee40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 12:36 PM   #25219
thumpididump
MacGyver

Oddometer: 2,360
But Wolfman does make racks for the WRR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marbee40 View Post
Called Wolfman with numerous silly questions like "Will the rack assy from a DRZ400S work on the WRR/X?" Of course not, but I had to ask.

On a positive note: Wolfman will be having a "sale" in December. Be there or be square!

J

FY-YFF.com
2014 KTM 690 Enduro R
"You can't put the shit back in the donkey." - Tony Soprano
thumpididump is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 02:38 PM   #25220
kangolo
n00b

Oddometer: 4

Here's me packed for a 3800 mile 3 1/2 week trip up and down the east coast.
Giant Loop Cayote holding everything I need - clothes in the top bag, camping gear in one side bag and tools and a pair of shoes in the other.

Will definitely be looking into a more comfortable seat though!
kangolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 03:00 PM   #25221
IdahoRenegade
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,270
Quote:
Originally Posted by kangolo View Post

Giant Loop Cayote holding everything I need - clothes in the top bag, camping gear in one side bag and tools and a pair of shoes in the other.

I'm impressed. It blows my mind that you manage to get a tent, sleeping bag, cooking gear and food in that much space. I need new gear.
IdahoRenegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 03:13 PM   #25222
kangolo
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoRenegade View Post
I'm impressed. It blows my mind that you manage to get a tent, sleeping bag, cooking gear and food in that much space. I need new gear.
I hiked the Appalachian trail for a month a couple of years ago so I'm used to packing light.

2 sets of "town clothes" (travel pants and shirts), 3 sets of riding clothes (cycling shorts, wicking t-shirts, socks).
Camping gear consisted of the synmat ul 7 sleeping pad, contrail tarp tent, REI 20 degree bag and a Jet Boil stove. Only the sleeping bag was in a compression dry-sac, everything else was in lightweight dry-sacs so they can mold to the available space.

I didn't carry any food, there's plenty along the way, but I had room in the cayote and in a bag that folds into the tail bag and can be strapped to the top of it.
kangolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 04:42 PM   #25223
skierd
Wannabe Far-Rider

Oddometer: 2,853
Very nice! My summer camping setup more resembles that, packing for swing seasons means more layers there more crap.
skierd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 05:08 PM   #25224
Bynoid
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
I wouldn't count on their time line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daamud View Post
Called Warp 9 today to ask about wheels and spokes.

I'm a cheap ass, and want to build dirt wheels for my X using my hubs.

They did not have what I was looking for.

But he said in about 2 weeks they will have complete sets available; Their own hub design that uses stock parts, comes with bearings, rotors and sprocket. Any color rim and hub @ just under $400 a wheel. F-Y-I for those looking for a X to R conversion.
I called them about the same thing back in April. They said about 3-4 weeks at that time! Maybe they are "Time Warp" wheels.
Old 10-21-2011, 06:14 PM   #25225
Novy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by marbee40 View Post
Tight! I picked up a 2010 WR250R last week, and was going to pull the trigger on a bunch of Wolfman luggage this weekend. Now I'll wait......this stuff was just going to be a winter project anyway.
Novy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 06:28 PM   #25226
thumpididump
MacGyver

Wolfman just released a new version of their racks for the DR650, a beefier, more sturdy design. Perhaps they are about to do the same for the WR.

FY-YFF.com
2014 KTM 690 Enduro R
Old 10-21-2011, 07:06 PM   #25227
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 9,973
Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpididump View Post
Wolfman just released a new version of their racks for the DR650, a beefier, more sturdy design. Perhaps they are about to do the same for the WR.
They must be working on bigger bags. The ones they have can't really be overloaded with the camp stuff we carry. Prolly about 20lbs for the saddlebags total. I used a top duffle this season, and with tools and such, that bag alone was 30lbs!

My point is the pannier racks are plenty strong for the bags they are designed for. Maybe they have a new vision?
Pantah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 07:18 PM   #25228
thumpididump
MacGyver

Along with the new beefed up racks, they've also recently started to sell mounting kits for universal panniers, like Pelican cases.

http://www.wolfmanluggage.com/Racks/...ag_mounts.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post
They must be working on bigger bags. The ones they have can't really be overloaded with the camp stuff we carry. Prolly about 20lbs for the saddlebags total. I used a top duffle this season, and with tools and such, that bag alone was 30lbs!

My point is the pannier racks are plenty strong for the bags they are designed for. Maybe they have a new vision?

FY-YFF.com
2014 KTM 690 Enduro R
Old 10-21-2011, 08:51 PM   #25229
bpg
Off Trail

Oddometer: 563
Quote:
Originally Posted by kangolo View Post

I put together a very cheap and comfortable seat mod that lets you have plenty of clearance on the trails (it pops right off), and be happy as a Goldwing rider on the road: Sweet Cheeks seat widener, with an inexpensive gel pad on top:

BEFORE: I had shaved my stock seat down quite a bit a while back for better reach w/ my 32" inseam. Was a little more comfy than stock on road, and significantly better off-road. Still, it was not up to snuff for the long haul.

After seeing/hearing from some other ADV folks, I decided to spring for the Sweet Cheeks: $30 (one could make their own easily), removable in seconds, and very very comfy.
http://cycle-analyst.com/sweetcheeks.htm

Ridiculously simple and light design, just slip empty (or full) 2-liter bottles into the sleeve and voila! Plenty of room to distribute your weight.

I made one more addition to mine to sort of homogenize the set-up, a $15 gel pad from an auto parts store. Looks kind of tall/thick in the pic, but it squishes right down and conforms extremely well. A sheepskin pad would also work well:

Not the prettiest, but I have to say, having run this set-up continuously from gas stop to gas stop, not once did I think about my rear... In comparison, my street bike has a nice wide Corbin - this is even better.

And unlike a $$$ custom seat with "butt wings", this is still convertible to a slim trail profile, in seconds.
'02 Honda CBR1100XX

bpg screwed with this post 10-21-2011 at 09:10 PM
bpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 09:17 PM   #25230
Sock Monkey OP
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 1,891
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpg View Post
I put together a very cheap and comfortable seat mod that lets you have plenty of clearance on the trails (it pops right off), and be happy as a Goldwing rider on the road: Sweet Cheeks seat widener, with an inexpensive gel pad on top:
+1

I use a very similar setup: sweet cheeks + my AirHawk from my Ducati.

Totally customize-able, easily removable, and gives me 4 liters of potable water for drinking, cooking, etc. Since I already had the AirHawk, it was $30 for the sweet cheeks and I was done.

-SM
Sock Monkey is online now   Reply With Quote