ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-23-2011, 12:39 AM   #25261
OSU
Adventurer
 
OSU's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Location: Oregon
Oddometer: 57
Eek mud Tires

what is a good suggestion for a tire for me, my riding area is about 35 miles from my house max speed of 55 then I ride normally wet (it rains here a lot) gravel fire roads and muddy slick dirt trails. I am looking at the Kenda track master II, any suggestions on what tires should I get to ride safely in these conditions?
__________________
2005 Ducati monster s2r 800
2008 WR250R
OSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 03:44 AM   #25262
bpg
Off Trail
 
bpg's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Charlotte, NC (summer back home in western PA)
Oddometer: 563
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR1 View Post
Yes that was me. I had a Sprint at the time but since moved to a GS. Much better bike for me in the twisties. Who were you/what were you on? It says Brendan at the bottom of your post, for the life of me I don't remember riding with a Brendan, I'm sorry. What kinda bike did you have? We had about 50 people at that event, but I was pretty sure I just rode with 2 other guys on the "ride day."

I am always ready to go on another DS ride, now that my riding has gone that direction! I'll let you know when I'm back (though my plan is to land in Greensboro and within a week be on the TWVT and TAT for my first "back in the States" ride).

Steve
still have a silver Blackbird. I think I remember you because you may have been involved in organizing the event? Or maybe it was just the Lemmy avatar, lol! 'salgood.
__________________
- Brendan
'08 Yamaha WR250R (sold)
'78 Honda XL250
'02 Honda CBR1100XX




bpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 03:49 AM   #25263
bpg
Off Trail
 
bpg's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Charlotte, NC (summer back home in western PA)
Oddometer: 563
Quote:
Originally Posted by OSU View Post
what is a good suggestion for a tire for me, my riding area is about 35 miles from my house max speed of 55 then I ride normally wet (it rains here a lot) gravel fire roads and muddy slick dirt trails. I am looking at the Kenda track master II, any suggestions on what tires should I get to ride safely in these conditions?
I liked a Trak Master II rear and a Dunlop D952 front for mud with some road. Or 952 all around (tried a rear 952 once and was surprised that it lasted longer than a Trak master).

Don't let the fact that the 952 is non-DOT scare you, I have railed it on Deal's Gap, commuted on it, droned down the highway, etc. - it does great on pavement and even better off road.
__________________
- Brendan
'08 Yamaha WR250R (sold)
'78 Honda XL250
'02 Honda CBR1100XX




bpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 04:39 AM   #25264
Nice_Rumble
Beastly Adventurer
 
Nice_Rumble's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2004
Location: New London, NH
Oddometer: 2,213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdubb View Post
I have a 2008 wr250 and experienced skipping in second and third gear today under load. Does anyone have any experience with this problem?
Does your WR still have the stock sprockets? If so, the rubber cushion causes the chain to skip occasionally from the rear sprocket. Keep an eye on the tension but once you switch to aftermarket sprockets your problem will disappear which is why the rubber cushions were only on the '08's.
__________________
Friend us on Facebook to learn about up coming 2014 DARC Adventure rides Vermont, MA and RI.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/212396922304662/
Nice_Rumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 04:43 AM   #25265
SR1
In Western NC
 
SR1's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Western NC
Oddometer: 4,322
Bpg, yeah I was the organizer.

Nice_rumble, I have an aftermarket rear but have still experienced some skipping under hard braking. Hmm...gotta check my tension again when I get back.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9700 using Tapatalk
__________________
My TAT trip will hopefully bring more attention to the need for more Cancer Research! Please go to http://www.gofundme.com/bxkt74 and check it out! No money goes to me or family, all to cancer research! Please donate at the location!!! Thanks!
SR1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 06:32 AM   #25266
rpet
Awesometown
 
rpet's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Brooklyn, California
Oddometer: 809
I'm researching full-on enduro builds for the WR250R. Any good threads or posts from riders who use the bike for 90-100% dirt? Beyond the obvious tires, suspension, gearing, handguards... I'd love to see "the ultimate dirt WR250R."

Yes, I know it's a DS bike and will never be a 300EXC.

thanks!
__________________
'76 Xl250 '04 XR250R '09 DR650 '10 TR450
Ride The West - OBDR, CDR & western TAT - July 2013
Instagram with plenty of bike pics.
Read my homie's underway Africa trip RR - Round Africa with a Surboard
WTB: Clarke tank for DR650 for cheap - any color but blue.
rpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 06:47 AM   #25267
Nice_Rumble
Beastly Adventurer
 
Nice_Rumble's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2004
Location: New London, NH
Oddometer: 2,213
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpet View Post
I'd love to see "the ultimate dirt WR250R."


__________________
Friend us on Facebook to learn about up coming 2014 DARC Adventure rides Vermont, MA and RI.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/212396922304662/
Nice_Rumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 08:07 AM   #25268
theBikeman
Dual Sport Rider
 
theBikeman's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: Palatine, IL
Oddometer: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpg View Post
I liked a Trak Master II rear and a Dunlop D952 front for mud with some road. Or 952 all around (tried a rear 952 once and was surprised that it lasted longer than a Trak master).

Don't let the fact that the 952 is non-DOT scare you, I have railed it on Deal's Gap, commuted on it, droned down the highway, etc. - it does great on pavement and even better off road.
I have this combo for fall and spring when it's not bluegroove and really like it. Much better than my old Dunlop 606's in everything but deep gravel.
theBikeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 09:29 AM   #25269
SkidMarx
Beastly Adventurer
 
SkidMarx's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Ortonville, MI
Oddometer: 1,675
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpg View Post
I liked a Trak Master II rear and a Dunlop D952 front for mud with some road. Or 952 all around (tried a rear 952 once and was surprised that it lasted longer than a Trak master).

Don't let the fact that the 952 is non-DOT scare you, I have railed it on Deal's Gap, commuted on it, droned down the highway, etc. - it does great on pavement and even better off road.
+1 on the Trackmaster II in the rear. NOT in the front though.
I use a S-12 in the front. Also not DOT but great in the sand/mud we have around here and not too bad on my 1/2 dirt 15mi commute.

For the front, I'd ask around locally and see what the dirt only crowd uses.
__________________
'90 XT350
'08 WR250R
GLDS
SkidMarx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 10:25 AM   #25270
ArmyJoe
Beastly Adventurer
 
ArmyJoe's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Location: Columbus, OH
Oddometer: 1,094
I've been riding about a month and I had my first get-off today while exploring a trail along some rail road tracks. As the saying goes, everything was going along just fine until I ran out of talent. I hit a spot along a slope and one of my tires wandered off the track or the gravel broke loose. The bike toppled downhill and me with on it. Luckily (and I mean that sarcastically), I didn't fall far because my right leg was pinned between the bike and a log.

After extracting myself and taking pictures, I got the bike upright. It was a struggle since I had to start from below horizontal and I'm glad I didn't have a bigger bike. After getting it up, I walked it back up to the trail while feathering the clutch and then rode out.

While lifting it, I noticed gas leaking from the cap (which I expected), but also saw coolant leaking from the bottom near the hoses. I did a quick inspection, but didn't see anything wrong. Is this normal? If so, where did it come from?

Since I was alone, I took my own pics:





Glad that's finally out of the way.
__________________
2009 Can-Am Spyder RS, 2008 Yamaha WR250R

My latest adventures detailed at ArmyJoe's Perpetual Picture Thread:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=888783
ArmyJoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 11:09 AM   #25271
bhd1223
Gnarly Adventurer
 
bhd1223's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: CT
Oddometer: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyJoe View Post
I've been riding about a month and I had my first get-off today while exploring a trail along some rail road tracks. As the saying goes, everything was going along just fine until I ran out of talent. I hit a spot along a slope and one of my tires wandered off the track or the gravel broke loose. The bike toppled downhill and me with on it. Luckily (and I mean that sarcastically), I didn't fall far because my right leg was pinned between the bike and a log.

After extracting myself and taking pictures, I got the bike upright. It was a struggle since I had to start from below horizontal and I'm glad I didn't have a bigger bike. After getting it up, I walked it back up to the trail while feathering the clutch and then rode out.

While lifting it, I noticed gas leaking from the cap (which I expected), but also saw coolant leaking from the bottom near the hoses. I did a quick inspection, but didn't see anything wrong. Is this normal? If so, where did it come from?

Since I was alone, I took my own pics:

Glad that's finally out of the way.
Glad to hear your wreck wasn't injury filled. Gas leaking is typically normal when the tank is on it's side. Vents allow fluids to pass and even most one way valves don't function all the time in this application. No idea on the coolant though. I've never noticed coolant leaking when my WRs been down.
__________________
WR250R - perhaps the ideal motorcycle for myself
Throw in a passenger and I'm unsure of what I'd consider ideal. Maybe a Multi?
I am now for sure sold on the Dual Sport style bike.
Keeping the Vulcan for now. The ladies seem to love it.
bhd1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 11:17 AM   #25272
skierd
Wannabe Far-Rider
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Fairbanks, AK
Oddometer: 2,859
Very possible it could be seeping out of the coolant reservoir, make sure its cap is on tight otherwise its probably just a small drip from the vent hose as well. Doesn't look like the most fun place to crash, especially without help to get the bike back upright!
__________________
"We wish your trail a long one" - Darlene "Sid" Dowd ~ Never run out of traction, ideas, and real estate at the same time.
2008 Yamaha WR250X
Eastern TAT 8/2009 ~MD-Key West-Oklahoma 4/2011~Maryland to Alaska 3/2012
skierd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 12:26 PM   #25273
craigq
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: ON
Oddometer: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by skierd View Post
Doesn't look like the most fun place to crash, especially without help to get the bike back upright!

Get a skid/bash plate & maybe handguards/barkbusters too; wouldn't want to damage something out there by yourself when a plate might've helped protect it...
craigq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 12:29 PM   #25274
ArmyJoe
Beastly Adventurer
 
ArmyJoe's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Location: Columbus, OH
Oddometer: 1,094
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigq View Post
Get a skid/bash plate & maybe handguards/barkbusters too; wouldn't want to damage something out there by yourself when a plate might've helped protect it...
That's on my list after personal gear.
__________________
2009 Can-Am Spyder RS, 2008 Yamaha WR250R

My latest adventures detailed at ArmyJoe's Perpetual Picture Thread:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=888783
ArmyJoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 01:29 PM   #25275
Cromoth
Inspection due 5_31
 
Cromoth's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: MA
Oddometer: 549
+1 atatt

consider zip ties instead of the 2 screws that hold on the plastic (+radiator guard if you have it), a spare hose for the radiator return (would've been next to the log in the pix, what would've you done if it got cut?), safety wire for the rear brake lever. Small vise grips for trailside help.
Good luck!
I meant ATGATT
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyJoe View Post
That's on my list after personal gear.
__________________
"Four wheels move the body,
Two wheels move the soul." http://ridingacross.com/
Three move you & the dog!

Cromoth screwed with this post 10-23-2011 at 01:30 PM Reason: +1 ATGATT
Cromoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:06 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014