User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-25-2011, 09:31 PM   #25321
Dahveed
Sumo Biker!

Oddometer: 5,550
Seats

I'm buying a 2008 in Florence Co. this week (just down the road from Dysco). It still has the stock seat, and no skid plate. Any recommendations?
'13 R1200GS
'08 WR250R
Dahveed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 10:18 PM   #25322
skierd
Wannabe Far-Rider

Oddometer: 2,891
Add a skid plate and change the fluids. If the seat bothers you stand on the pegs a lot while you take her out and thrash the hell out of her.
skierd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 10:22 PM   #25323
Jäger
Osons

Oddometer: 790
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krabill View Post
Who's up for a ride at Jager's house?

Any day now, if you show up, you better have your powder skis with you.

Because you won't be going anywhere on a motorcycle.

Went for a brief ride today trying for some more pics. No snow, but the hoarfrost from 25 degrees on the road and leaves made it like trying to ride around on a skating rink covered in oil. And I was freezing my naughty bits off.

I went home. Sniff... It was beautiful out there... the kind of day I've been waiting for the last three weeks.

May as well go pheasant hunting for a few days, I guess.
Jäger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 10:27 PM   #25324
Jäger
Osons

Oddometer: 790
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoBill View Post
Feck yuah!
Well, when you bring the Cav up, tell them you need an Airborne Infantry attachment, one (1) per, Sgt.

Complex range exercises on austere ranges occasionally require long range recce for proper range templating, you know... I'm sure your staff college writing skills are up to the task.
Jäger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 10:42 PM   #25325
Dysco
caddis muncher

Oddometer: 15,969
Quote:
Originally Posted by skierd View Post
Add a skid plate and change the fluids. If the seat bothers you stand on the pegs a lot while you take her out and thrash the hell out of her.

I'd add a rad guard, too, if you think you might tip over.
Dysco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 10:52 PM   #25326
Crawdaddy
Navigate 2 Adventure

Oddometer: 2,224
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahveed View Post
I'm buying a 2008 in Florence Co. this week (just down the road from Dysco). It still has the stock seat, and no skid plate. Any recommendations?
http://seatconcepts.art.officelive.com/YAMAHA.aspx
http://www.WhereAmIRiding.com
Crawdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 12:31 AM   #25327
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,842
Luggage Options

Hi All.

My plan is to use my WR250X (with dirt wheels) as a small adventure touring bike in the near future. This means no hardcore off-road, but trails, gravel roads, fire roads, whatever.

Now, I see a few luggage options for me:

Giant Loop Coyote

This is fairly small and will not fit my tent, sleeping bag, clothes, tools, cooking gear all in one bag. Not even talking about my mattress, but I'll live with putting that in a separate bag. Nevertheless, it seems that with the Coyote I can put tools, clothes, spare parts, extra shoes, ... in the two side "pods", the sleeping bag in the middle bag and put tent and mattress in an extra dry bag. Realistic? I have a MSR Hubba Hubba Tent, Marmot down Sleeping bag (doesn't pack all too small though as it is a 15F bag), old Thermarest mattress, typical clothes and gear.

Giant Loop Great Basin

Looks like I could fit everything but the mattress inside the bag. It's certainly much bigger than the Coyote, but with the advantage of having pretty much everything in a single bag.

Are there any photos out there with a Great Basin on a WR? I know, some of you think this is way too big, but please keep in mind that I do easy dual sporting, no hard / fast off-roading.

Wolfman Expedition incl. Racks

Requires extra racks, lots of fiddling to get the things on and off, multiple bags for the various items, so I probably need a list of what is where just to not find it always in the last bag I open ... looking at the videos on the Wolfman site, they look good, but again - very fiddly. I like the ease of use of the Giant Loop bags - a few straps, take the bag, done.

Overall, I think I'll end up with similar prices for all of them as I'd have to supplement the Coyote with another bag, the Great Basin and the Wolfman are pretty much the same.

Would love to hear your experiences with those bags - mainly with the Great Basin on the WR as I have already found quite some sources about the Coyote or the Wolfman bags on the WR.

Many thanks!
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 03:19 AM   #25328
mt21
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Hey, does anyone know how wide the Safari tank is, compared with the original radiator scoops.

/ MT
mt21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 06:29 AM   #25329
Rider_WV
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,220
hey Cug,

Just an FYI the wolfman expedition dry saddle bags are 100% waterproof. The GL bags are not. If you live in a wet area like I do(or it rains every time you start the bike) this was a big factor in picking luggage for my WR. My bud has a Coyote, its a great system I really wanted one, but his stuff gets wet so I went with the wolfman. 100% dry all the time. IMO the great basin is a little too big for the WR.
Rider_WV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 07:05 AM   #25330
bigdon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahveed View Post
I've got a skid plate and a rick myere seat that might work for you!
They will be cheap!

You can pick them up if you get to NE Texas close to Sulphur Springs or if you have anyone coming from this area to RTB I can send the stuff with!

I am not able to come to RTB. Have the fall family birthday bash that weekend.

Don

Don't stop riding until you get to the crash , you might save it!
bigdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 07:13 AM   #25331
bigdon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
Hi All.

My plan is to use my WR250X (with dirt wheels) as a small adventure touring bike in the near future. This means no hardcore off-road, but trails, gravel roads, fire roads, whatever.

Giant Loop Coyote

This is fairly small and will not fit my tent, sleeping bag, clothes, tools, cooking gear all in one bag. Not even talking about my mattress, but I'll live with putting that in a separate bag. Nevertheless, it seems that with the Coyote I can put tools, clothes, spare parts, extra shoes, ... in the two side "pods", the sleeping bag in the middle bag and put tent and mattress in an extra dry bag. Realistic? I have a MSR Hubba Hubba Tent, Marmot down Sleeping bag (doesn't pack all too small though as it is a 15F bag), old Thermarest mattress, typical clothes and gear.

Giant Loop Great Basin

Looks like I could fit everything but the mattress inside the bag. It's certainly much bigger than the Coyote, but with the advantage of having pretty much everything in a single bag.

Are there any photos out there with a Great Basin on a WR? I know, some of you think this is way too big, but please keep in mind that I do easy dual sporting, no hard / fast off-roading.

Requires extra racks, lots of fiddling to get the things on and off, multiple bags for the various items, so I probably need a list of what is where just to not find it always in the last bag I open ... looking at the videos on the Wolfman site, they look good, but again - very fiddly. I like the ease of use of the Giant Loop bags - a few straps, take the bag, done.

Overall, I think I'll end up with similar prices for all of them as I'd have to supplement the Coyote with another bag, the Great Basin and the Wolfman are pretty much the same.

Would love to hear your experiences with those bags - mainly with the Great Basin on the WR as I have already found quite some sources about the Coyote or the Wolfman bags on the WR.

Many thanks!
The Wolfman system is not really that fiddly.
I have the Andy Strapz Saddle Bags mounted to a Wolfman Rack. I also have an Ortlieb Duffle that I strap to the tail rack. My system is waterproof ( I will no longer buy any MC gear that is not waterproof) and works real well.
When going for a day ride I leave the bags on and carry my tubes and tools. I also have a place to put my clothing layers. I would rather carry my stuff down low where I don't have to use a tail bag!

Don't stop riding until you get to the crash , you might save it!
bigdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 07:13 AM   #25332
SR1
In Western NC

Oddometer: 4,370
Well, since Jager (maybe rightly so, maybe not) explained that I can't know everyone's plans while riding, I'll give you my two cents, based on you doing absolutely jack shit except riding:

The Coyote, plus a couple of straps to hold your tent and maybe one small dry bag on, is big enough. If you require no extracirricular accessories, you should be able to do it all (nearly) with just the Coyote. If you can't, perhaps your equipment is too bulky (I don't bring tennies, I bring flip flops).

That is my experience. I cannot speak for what will work for you. In fact, based on that last sentence, why did I (or why does anyone else) even respond?

Steve

Quote:
Hi All.

Giant Loop Coyote

Giant Loop Great Basin

Many thanks!
Old 10-26-2011, 07:14 AM   #25333
Dahveed
Sumo Biker!

Oddometer: 5,550
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdon View Post
I've got a skid plate and a rick myere seat that might work for you!
They will be cheap!

You can pick them up if you get to NE Texas close to Sulphur Springs or if you have anyone coming from this area to RTB I can send the stuff with!

I am not able to come to RTB. Have the fall family birthday bash that weekend.

Don
PM sent

Will miss you at the RTB. Eat some birthday cake for me and I'll drink a beer at the campfire for you...
'13 R1200GS
'08 WR250R
Dahveed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 07:24 AM   #25334
skierd
Wannabe Far-Rider

Oddometer: 2,891
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt21 View Post
Hey, does anyone know how wide the Safari tank is, compared with the original radiator scoops.

/ MT
At the front I believe it is about the same. It is wider at the rider's knees by at least an inch if not more, enough to make me sell it...
skierd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 07:41 AM   #25335
Mr. Fisherman
PROUD 2B Riff Raff!

Oddometer: 10,652
Quote:
Hi All.

Giant Loop Coyote

Giant Loop Great Basin

Many thanks!
You might find my ride report and gear review helpful...

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=701761
Mr. Fisherman is online now   Reply With Quote