Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-28-2011, 10:28 AM   #25396
ironbrewer
Hopefully Riding

Oddometer: 4,010
Rick the redesigned for reliability parts are troubling. Especially anything transmission bearing or cam chain related.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramz View Post
With nothin to do for 2 days (fricken snow ), I spent the time lookin at the 2012 parts catalog and updated my web site:

WR250R changes from '11 to '12
http://rickramsey.net/WR250R1112.htm <-- linky

Pat Paulsen
ironbrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 10:45 AM   #25397
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 10,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by trav72 View Post
Nice pick up Crawdaddy. I would live to find one of those around here. Especially since I've been told my WRR is only a play bike. Who knew.

Yah must admit that pretty little smoker is a proper racing motorcycle. It's got knarly east coast loops written all over it. 'Course us 95 percenters don't deserve such a machine. Maybe the 150? ...207lbs.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 11:03 AM   #25398
onetravdown
I can't ride where?

Oddometer: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post
Yah must admit that pretty little smoker is a proper racing motorcycle. It's got knarly east coast loops written all over it. 'Course us 95 percenters don't deserve such a machine. Maybe the 150? ...207lbs.
I think maybe you should let go of 'days gone by' and stick to those roads fit enough for a Goldwing. I don't want you to break a hip.
onetravdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 11:06 AM   #25399
joenuclear
Planning.....

Oddometer: 6,122
Quote:
I think maybe you should let go of 'days gone by' and stick to those roads fit enough for a Goldwing. I don't want you to break a hip.
Ouch!
Old 10-28-2011, 11:12 AM   #25400
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 10,061
Quote:

Yeah, yer right. Those roads were fit for a Goldwing. The whole CDR is if it's dry. It was fun on my playbike, tho.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 11:19 AM   #25401
ramz
Professional Trail Rider

Oddometer: 1,953
Quote:
Rick the redesigned for reliability parts are troubling. Especially anything transmission bearing or cam chain related.
Note that this is my interpretation for the change of significant parts. I accept that I may be wrong in some instances. It may be that the replacement parts are the same spec as original but from a different supplier.

Nevertheless, I plan to look at each significant part change and decide which parts to buy to install in my moto; hoping to head off any problems. I recently read about a cam chain that wore out at around 20,000 miles and another at 10,000 miles. This could be caused by the cam chain tensioner failing, so the newer cam chain tensioner is high on my list to buy. My exposure to the Husky cam chain tensioner problem makes me sensitive to this issue.

Not to say that the hundreds, perhaps thousands, of WRR and WRX engines still running just fine isn't a consideration. The fuel pump issue showed that you have to be alert and take action as necessary in each particular situation.
ramz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 11:43 AM   #25402
onetravdown
I can't ride where?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post
It was fun on my playbike, tho.
Isn't that the point? I have fun on this bike no matter what sort of situation I ride it in. I'm under no illusion that it's a race bike or the ultimate woods weapon. I'm not going to win a Hare Scramble, Enduro or a Supermoto trackday. But I'm going to have fun participating in those events anyway. The WRR is much more capable than loading it up and riding it on a dirt road across the country. Although it handles that well too. I find the WR to be much like my VFR....jack of all trades, master of none.
Old 10-28-2011, 11:55 AM   #25403
onetravdown
I can't ride where?

Quote:
I recently read about a cam chain that wore out at around 20,000 miles and another at 10,000 miles. This could be caused by the cam chain tensioner failing, so the newer cam chain tensioner is high on my list to buy. My exposure to the Husky cam chain tensioner problem makes me sensitive to this issue.
I read that also and my first thought was CCT as well. The 6th gen VFR's are known to have issues with the CCT and they all seemed to go out around the 20,000 mile mark. Mine started to make lots of noise around 18,000 miles. I know it may not be an issue or the cause of those failures, but it's an easy part to replace. If for no other reason than peace of mind.

onetravdown screwed with this post 10-28-2011 at 12:31 PM
Old 10-28-2011, 12:37 PM   #25404
sturgeon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 915
Kriega US-5 as tank bag

Asked over on the 'other' forum, without much luck, so I'll try here too.

Anyone here using a Kriega US-5 with the 'tank' adapter as a tank bag? If so, got pics of one mounted on the WR˛? I can't visualize how this thing would look/fit on this bike. My gut feeling is that it's too big, but ya never know.
sturgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 03:32 PM   #25405
greer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,637
WRR troubles

I posted this on WRR, too.

At 29,7xx miles the crankshaft counterbalancer bearing has failed. We were headed to a ride in TN last weekend and all of a sudden something didn't feel right. Got off the road and my bike sounded worse than a hammer mill. Doubled up behind Doug to get home, went back after the bike the next day and brought it in to the local shop. It's taken all week for them to get to it, I just got the word today.

Luckily I had the extended warranty transferred when I bought the bike; the shop tells me it should all be covered. I'll post as I know more.

Sarah
Old 10-28-2011, 03:38 PM   #25406
MoBill
Smiles when says dat

Oddometer: 13,385
Interesting Sarah.

Nothing to add, except...my recent rebuild at 15K...which I don't have a lot of understanding of why.
MoBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 03:47 PM   #25407
ramz
Professional Trail Rider

Oddometer: 1,953
Quote:
At 29,7xx miles the crankshaft counterbalancer bearing has failed.
There are two bearings on the counterbalancer shaft; one of them was changed for 2010 as shown on my '09 to '10 changes page:

93304-20310-00
93305-20301-00
BEARING
BEARING
'09
'10 Counter balancer bearing

What year is your WRR?
ramz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 04:34 PM   #25408
Dysco
caddis muncher

Oddometer: 15,878
Quote:
Note that this is my interpretation for the change of significant parts. I accept that I may be wrong in some instances. It may be that the replacement parts are the same spec as original but from a different supplier.

Nevertheless, I plan to look at each significant part change and decide which parts to buy to install in my moto; hoping to head off any problems. I recently read about a cam chain that wore out at around 20,000 miles and another at 10,000 miles. This could be caused by the cam chain tensioner failing, so the newer cam chain tensioner is high on my list to buy. My exposure to the Husky cam chain tensioner problem makes me sensitive to this issue.

Not to say that the hundreds, perhaps thousands, of WRR and WRX engines still running just fine isn't a consideration. The fuel pump issue showed that you have to be alert and take action as necessary in each particular situation.
If you want to do a comparo on more than one bike, mine has ~12k and I wouldn't mind checking the valves and cam chain out this winter.
Dysco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 04:35 PM   #25409
craigq
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Quote:
What year is your WRR?

Thanks for tabulating all of the year-to-year changes. From Sarah's sig she has a 2008 WRR.
craigq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 04:57 PM   #25410
Ronin ADV
Gear addict

Oddometer: 594
Quote:
Originally Posted by sturgeon View Post
Asked over on the 'other' forum, without much luck, so I'll try here too.

Anyone here using a Kriega US-5 with the 'tank' adapter as a tank bag? If so, got pics of one mounted on the WR˛? I can't visualize how this thing would look/fit on this bike. My gut feeling is that it's too big, but ya never know.
Dont know about as a tank bag (I hate tank bags), but I'm using the Kreiga 5 up on my front plate above the headlight. ( Pics on page 1696, post #25426.) It also bolts down to the front fender well, I just like it better up above the light.

Dan
Red dirt, rocks and sand; Riding the southern UTBDR, WR250R vs EXC 500 - a comparison
Ronin ADV is offline   Reply With Quote