Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-28-2011, 04:57 PM   #25411
Ronin ADV
Gear addict

Oddometer: 594
Quote:
Originally Posted by sturgeon View Post
Asked over on the 'other' forum, without much luck, so I'll try here too.

Anyone here using a Kriega US-5 with the 'tank' adapter as a tank bag? If so, got pics of one mounted on the WR²? I can't visualize how this thing would look/fit on this bike. My gut feeling is that it's too big, but ya never know.
Dont know about as a tank bag (I hate tank bags), but I'm using the Kreiga 5 up on my front plate above the headlight. ( Pics on page 1696, post #25426.) It also bolts down to the front fender well, I just like it better up above the light.

Dan
Red dirt, rocks and sand; Riding the southern UTBDR, WR250R vs EXC 500 - a comparison
Ronin ADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 05:34 PM   #25412
10Cup
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,499
More WRR Problems

Well my trusty WR let me down as mentioned earlier, I had thought the rectifier/regulator was bad but when I go the new part that did not fix it. Here is what I found.

Fried stator, I noticed the voltage dropping some the last few rides so was watching it and went out to ride last weekend and it was not charging,
thus the testing and rectifier/regulator change out. Problem now is the stators are on back order from Yamaha until Nov. 8th!

Fortunately I have a friend (JoeNuclear) that was not riding his WR and so let me barrow his until my parts come in. Thanks a million Joe!

For those inquiring minds, I had 35,000 miles on my WR.
Here is the rest of the business behind the stator and cover.
10Cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 06:02 PM   #25413
sturgeon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 901
Quote:
Originally Posted by WW Ronin View Post
Dont know about as a tank bag (I hate tank bags), but I'm using the Kreiga 5 up on my front plate above the headlight. ( Pics on page 1696, post #25426.) It also bolts down to the front fender well, I just like it better up above the light.

Dan
Thanks, know what you mean. I like a tank bag on my bigger bikes but I'm starting to think it's not such a good idea on this little tank. Might have to rethink the whole thing.

Do you find the US-5 blocks any light from the headlight? Can't tell from the photo. That looks like a decent setup.
sturgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 09:05 PM   #25414
Ronin ADV
Gear addict

Oddometer: 594
Quote:
Originally Posted by sturgeon View Post
Thanks, know what you mean. I like a tank bag on my bigger bikes but I'm starting to think it's not such a good idea on this little tank. Might have to rethink the whole thing.

Do you find the US-5 blocks any light from the headlight? Can't tell from the photo. That looks like a decent setup.
No problems at all. At least not that I notice.
But then again I dont do a lot of night riding. I'm sure I could have mounted it even higher as the weight of the bag will pull it down some if you keep heavy things in it. I keep my tire repair stuff (irons, CO2, patches) and my paperwork in that bag. You can definitely reach it easy from the seat so you could use it for typical tank bag stuff. I originally had it on the fender but it bounces around more in that spot I think.

Dan
Red dirt, rocks and sand; Riding the southern UTBDR, WR250R vs EXC 500 - a comparison
Ronin ADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 02:30 AM   #25415
SR1
I'm a Seoul Man...

Oddometer: 4,274
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Cup View Post
Well my trusty WR let me down as mentioned earlier,

For those inquiring minds, I had 35,000 miles on my WR.

I would not call that a let down. Maybe you are being facetious.
SR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 06:50 AM   #25416
sturgeon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 901
Quote:
No problems at all. At least not that I notice.
But then again I dont do a lot of night riding. I'm sure I could have mounted it even higher as the weight of the bag will pull it down some if you keep heavy things in it. I keep my tire repair stuff (irons, CO2, patches) and my paperwork in that bag. You can definitely reach it easy from the seat so you could use it for typical tank bag stuff. I originally had it on the fender but it bounces around more in that spot I think.

Dan
Thanks! Might have to give it a try.
sturgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 07:17 AM   #25417
joenuclear
Planning.....

Oddometer: 6,047
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR1 View Post
I would not call that a let down. Maybe you are being facetious.
Mike, facetious?

35K on a very well maintained bike and it quits in peak Fall riding season. Yeah, I'd call that a let down.
Old 10-29-2011, 07:41 AM   #25418
rydnseek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,888
Seems like a rash of bike issues.. when it rains, it pours. Sarah's bearing, 10cup's stator.. even my much lower mile bike had a problem.

First, an alum. sprocket i put on less than 2k miles back is already getting pointy & hooked. I had a nice 7075 renthal on my drz & it lasted longer than the front steel one. But all sprockets are not equal, so it's back to a nice inexpensive steel one. My riding style usually gets 10k + miles from chain & sprockets.

Then, the darn tires are getting worn.. after only 10k miles! ..cheap junk. So i replaced them with the exact same tire.. shinko 244's.

But the most serious issue was leaking front fork seals. They have been leaking for months, but due to my extremely busy schedule & chronic laziness, i didn't get around to replacing them. They started squeaking in Utah, so i poured in a bit of oil to keep the rest of the forks alive until i could change them. A couple of days ago, my riding buddy Tom wanted me to come over & do a bike workathon. We also added some neoprene socks to the forks. I figured all the dirt, mud, etc might have contributed to the fork seal leak. But with Tom's expertise & my blazing work speed, we got all the work done in a few hours.

A couple of tips for replacing fork seals: These are both from AZTom, a fellow wrr rider from prescott.
1. after removing the clip that holds the seal in place, use the weight & momentum of the forks to knock the old ones out. Just slide the fork in then pull it out quickly until the seal pops out.
2. Tom used a piece of abs plumbing pipe.. 2", sawn in half, about 3" long. This was to set the new seal in place. You have to tap on the plastic pipe until the seal is seated. Of course, you can buy a special tool to do this, but the pipe worked perfectly, & the edge fits the seal & doesn't cut or damage it. Once the seal clears the ring clip slot, it is in place. It won't go further, anyway.

So i got new shoes, new socks, & new teeth for my wrx. After it's grueling utah ride, it needed some tlc. Now i just need to find some time to ride it!
scotty

PS. Please note the attempt at dry humor.. i don't really want to have to put a disclaimer in every post i make.. e.g., i don't really think motorcycle luggage is an absolute, one size fits all discussion.
rydnseek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 07:52 AM   #25419
strongbad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Cup View Post
Well my trusty WR let me down as mentioned earlier, I had thought the rectifier/regulator was bad but when I go the new part that did not fix it. Here is what I found.

Fried stator...

Fortunately I have a friend (JoeNuclear) that was not riding his WR and so let me barrow his until my parts come in. Thanks a million Joe!
Is your electrical system stock? I wouldn't ask to borrow anybody else's stator until I found out what caused the first one to fry. There's a good chance you'll toast your buddy's stator too.

If you're a little ambitious you can rewind the stator with a few dollars of magnet wire. A local shop that rewinds electric motors will have the wire. Number the poles, take pictures as you unwind, count the turns on each pole, and use the pictures and your notes as a guide to re-wind.
strongbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 05:41 PM   #25420
Reposado1800
Juicy J fan!

Oddometer: 5,737
The hot oil attacks the wire insulation. It is just about inevitable.
Old 10-30-2011, 12:51 AM   #25421
Mr. Fisherman
Ray soon to be AWAY!

Oddometer: 10,451
To prepare for said inevitable...

If anyone with a failed Stator would like to sell it to me for the price of a core and shipping I would like to have one re-wired to shelve as a spare. I will make this spare available if needed for the re-wiring cost and shipping if you ship me your old core so I can have it re-built. That way we should be able to to forego the long lead time to get one. Of course if you want to donate your old core all the better as my current financial situation sux.

I know a place locally that can handle the rebuild.
Mr. Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 02:53 AM   #25422
SR1
I'm a Seoul Man...

Oddometer: 4,274
That is a really great thing to do. Thank you.
SR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 05:41 AM   #25423
jimmy2020
limpiador de ventanas

Oddometer: 974
I took off my dirt wheels (18/21)

and put the street wheels (17/17) back on for the winter season.
I forgot how much fun this bike is with the X setup.
I purchased my bike used in June and have put 5k on it.
Bike has performed beyond my expectations....

Next..I'm going to try some knobbies on the X wheels.

"the adrenaline and stress of an adventure are better than a thousand peaceful days"
jimmy2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 07:17 AM   #25424
reddog830
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
rolie bags

Thanks for the reply you just made my decision easier. I will be going with the rolie system. I had another type of saddle bags but got rid of them.

Quote:
The Rolie system works great. I had the E-10 on before that and although they are good, the Rolie bags are better. The construction is like the Expedition bags and they are tough and waterproof. I use a pair of them and a Kreiga 5 bolted to the front plate. This is enough to carry everything I need on day rides. You could easily use Mediums if you wanted more room. I hate tank bags and I like to keep the rear plate free for my Rotopax or other stuff. I don't use my WR for multi-day, large quantity gear hauling, but I think the Rolie system is outstanding for day use.

The small Rolies and the Kriega bag on the front before I made my new rear plate.

Another shot with the Rotopax on.

If you want a photo of something specific, let me know.

Dan
reddog830 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 08:43 AM   #25425
Mr. Fisherman
Ray soon to be AWAY!

Oddometer: 10,451
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR1 View Post
That is a really great thing to do. Thank you.
Don't thank me until I get one and make it available but I pretty much have a reputation for helping when I can. I hope to get one cheap. It could save someones trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy2020 View Post
and put the street wheels (17/17) back on for the winter season.
I forgot how much fun this bike is with the X setup.
I purchased my bike used in June and have put 5k on it.
Bike has performed beyond my expectations....

Next..I'm going to try some knobbies on the X wheels.
Welcome to the club. I just found a decent set of used 244s that I am going to try to deal on. If not, I'll have to bite the $80 bullet and just get a set

I am interested to see how much difference in height there is between the dirt set and the 17s with knoblies.
Mr. Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote