Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2008, 02:50 PM   #241
Sock Monkey OP
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 1,728
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket
+100 on the Blue Ribbon Coalition.

I'm a member of both the AMA and BRC also. I think it's the only way we stand a chance of fighting what's going on not just here in CA, but all over the country.

-NoVector
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 09:27 AM   #242
DougRoost
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 395
Thank you!

Wow, excellent thread, saw it building for awhile now but just read it all the way through. Thanks especially to NV for that nice comparo of this to his previous bikes, especially since I had been contemplating a KTM 520 E/XC as a d/s bike and have a buddy with an F650gs.

I have to say that I have been lusting after a TE-610 but thinking more realistically due to budget about a used KTM 520, DR650 (despite its weight and poor suspension) or KTM LC4 (again, despite its weight as well as being more maintenance and cost). I now have to say that this bike may be for me since it seems to have much of the Husky goodness in a more manageable and mainstream package.

Not to reopen the top speed thing again, since it's clear there is no reason to with the WRR, but one worry I had was riding this in Big Bend. In West Texas the speed limit is 80mph and you ride that to connect ranch roads, but I see there are no worries with this bike. In fact, I'd probably drop a tooth on the c/s sprocket to tighten up the gearing and make 6th more usable.

Thanks again for all the reports and pictures!
Austin MotoSports Association www.amsaclub.org
DougRoost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 02:04 PM   #243
Sock Monkey OP
Corporate slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougRoost
Wow, excellent thread, saw it building for awhile now but just read it all the way through. Thanks especially to NV for that nice comparo of this to his previous bikes, especially since I had been contemplating a KTM 520 E/XC as a d/s bike and have a buddy with an F650gs.
No problem. One reason I started this thread was to give folks a different perspective. Most of the time, folks go bigger bigger bigger on each new bike purchase (like I did, starting at 50cc on up through 650cc), but I didn't see many threads on folks going from bigger bikes back down to a smaller one (and actually getting rid of the bigger bikes!). It was also a bit of a "voyage of discovery" for me to see if the smaller bike was really going to do it for me. I'm a torque junkie (just look at my "Gone" bikes, plus the big GS), so my biggest worry was if I could live with less than a 450+ and all that low-end grunt. Now I know....the answer is "yes". The WRR has decent low end for a plugged up 250cc 4-stroke, in spite of what some folks are reporting on other threads/boards. If they want "no low end", they should try riding/racing a 125cc 2-stroke from oh, 15+ years ago, like I did. Those damn things wouldn't even make forward progress on a level surface unless you were at 8 grand! Besides, if I want a bit more low end from this bike, there are plenty of mods I can make to get it (gearing, pipe, airbox, FI remap, blah blah blah). For now, it's working just fine, and I paid wayyyyy less than I would have for a Husky TE250, which was my 2nd choice.

Quote:
I have to say that I have been lusting after a TE-610 but thinking more realistically due to budget about a used KTM 520, DR650 (despite its weight and poor suspension) or KTM LC4 (again, despite its weight as well as being more maintenance and cost). I now have to say that this bike may be for me since it seems to have much of the Husky goodness in a more manageable and mainstream package.
I think it really depends on what you want to do with the bike. For me, this bike will be 90/10 (dirt/street). I'm done with the insane hill climbing I used to do on my 520 (which is why I wanted/needed the torque-monster) and I really just wanted something that I could trail ride with and not worry about a bunch of maintenance. My KTM was (and still is) a great bike, but 2 filter and 2 screens to mess with on oil changes, frequent valve checks/adjusts, and having to loctite everything in sight because of the vibes was just wearing on me. But I'll say this: if you've never ridden/owned a big "ready to race" thumper like a KTM or Husky before, you owe it to yourself to try it. Just be careful...all that power is addicting!

Quote:
Not to reopen the top speed thing again, since it's clear there is no reason to with the WRR, but one worry I had was riding this in Big Bend. In West Texas the speed limit is 80mph and you ride that to connect ranch roads, but I see there are no worries with this bike. In fact, I'd probably drop a tooth on the c/s sprocket to tighten up the gearing and make 6th more usable.
Most folks are reporting mid-90's indicated on the speedo, which translates to somewhere in the 80s in reality. If you drop the CS by 1 tooth, I think you might be pushing it to hit a real-life 80mph. Plus, 80mph on a bike this small for any distance would just be scary. One good gust of cross-wind at that speed and you'd be doing a motorcycling version of Mary Poppins (with uglier results).

-NoVector
Old 06-19-2008, 02:53 PM   #244
LoriKTM
Wrecking Ball

Oddometer: 1,512
I hate you for posting this thread, NV.

You have me thinking the WR250R would be a good replacement for my KTM 400. I was only a C-level enduro rider in my good days, so I don't think I really need the race-ready KTM. Oooh, and only 1 filter and screen!
The extra weight and tall seat height on the WR has me a bit worried, tho.

I'd still like to see some reports of people taking this bike on some east coast singletrack. That would seal the deal.
LoriKTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 03:01 PM   #245
DougRoost
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVector
But I'll say this: if you've never ridden/owned a big "ready to race" thumper like a KTM or Husky before, you owe it to yourself to try it. Just be careful...all that power is addicting!
Yeah, I'm a bit addicted to torque with my KTM 310 (300 E/XC with Mo Better Everywhere porting by the legendary Eric Gorr). However, I have been seriously thinking about a new 200 XC to replace it and add a d/s bike, since the 2008 KTM chassis and suspension is so good (especially those twin chamber forks), and that 200 just rips (with a 6 speed instead of my 300's 5 speed). It's really a "125 Magnum", just like my 300 is a "250 Magnum."

That means I will have one light, purpose-built offroad bike and want something to complement it for Texas Hill Country exploring. A gently used DR650 is a natural and very affordable choice, and if I don't like it I could lilely sell it for what I paid for it. I just worry that the hardcore dirtbiker in me would never be happy with the suspension, hence the TE-610 lust. And then I found very reasonable prices for used 520 E/XCs, but I've never ridden one on the street, either, so am not sure I'd want to live with it there.
Old 06-19-2008, 03:01 PM   #246
Sock Monkey OP
Corporate slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriKTM
I hate you for posting this thread, NV.

You have me thinking the WR250R would be a good replacement for my KTM 400. I was only a C-level enduro rider in my good days, so I don't think I really need the race-ready KTM. Oooh, and only 1 filter and screen!
The extra weight and tall seat height on the WR has me a bit worried, tho.

I'd still like to see some reports of people taking this bike on some east coast singletrack. That would seal the deal.

How about a report and pics of Kenji Suzuki (Yamaha test rider) racing the WRR in the 2007 ISDE in Chile? Is that serious enough off-road for you? I think there might even have been some single track in that event....

Linky
I know...now you REALLY hate me.....

-NoVector

P.S. There are no screens in the WRR....just one teeny weeny little filter....
Old 06-19-2008, 03:40 PM   #247
LoriKTM
Wrecking Ball

Quote:

How about a report and pics of Kenji Suzuki (Yamaha test rider) racing the WRR in the 2007 ISDE in Chile? Is that serious enough off-road for you? I think there might even have been some single track in that event....

I know...now you REALLY hate me.....

-NoVector
Bastard.

Nope, I wanna see reports of some spodely C-rider taking the WR-R through the Delaware enduro, or the Michaux enduro. None of this pansy ISDE type stuff.

Old 06-19-2008, 03:45 PM   #248
Sock Monkey OP
Corporate slave

Quote:
Yeah, I'm a bit addicted to torque with my KTM 310 (300 E/XC with Mo Better Everywhere porting by the legendary Eric Gorr). However, I have been seriously thinking about a new 200 XC to replace it and add a d/s bike, since the 2008 KTM chassis and suspension is so good (especially those twin chamber forks), and that 200 just rips (with a 6 speed instead of my 300's 5 speed). It's really a "125 Magnum", just like my 300 is a "250 Magnum."

That means I will have one light, purpose-built offroad bike and want something to complement it for Texas Hill Country exploring. A gently used DR650 is a natural and very affordable choice, and if I don't like it I could lilely sell it for what I paid for it. I just worry that the hardcore dirtbiker in me would never be happy with the suspension, hence the TE-610 lust. And then I found very reasonable prices for used 520 E/XCs, but I've never ridden one on the street, either, so am not sure I'd want to live with it there.
Ahhh.....I didn't know you owned and/or were keeping a KTM 2-stroke for your dedicated off-road duty.

Frankly, if I was in your shoes, I'd be on a "lightly used" (if there is such a thing) 06-07 TE 610 in a heart beat based on what you want it for. 80 on the road? Sure, it'll take that all day, and I dare say it'll take that all day better than a 520EXC will (I just know I'm gonna burn for that one....). Plus it'll hammer off-road, within the limits of the suspension (which is why I say get a pre-08, due to the recent "revelation" by '08 buyers that their forks have no comp adjust, even though the bikes were advertised with it....).

Husky lust runs deep....

-NoVector
Old 06-19-2008, 03:51 PM   #249
Sock Monkey OP
Corporate slave

Quote:
Bastard.

Nope, I wanna see reports of some spodely C-rider taking the WR-R through the Delaware enduro, or the Michaux enduro. None of this pansy ISDE type stuff.

I was reading a thread over on TT where a guy ran his WRR in a NJ off-road ride that he said was 75% single track. Let's see if I can imbed the linky to his post and not screw it up....

I'm sorta like a crack dealer huh?

-NoVector
Old 06-19-2008, 04:07 PM   #250
LoriKTM
Wrecking Ball

Quote:

I'm sorta like a crack dealer huh?

-NoVector
Yeah, I know your type. My husband deals in selling people on trials bikes....
Old 06-19-2008, 05:43 PM   #251
Sock Monkey OP
Corporate slave

Quote:
Yeah, I know your type. My husband deals in selling people on trials bikes....

Hah....Well, I'm nothing like your husband. First, I'm not selling anything, just being "helpful". Second, I didn't have the obvious good sense he had and marry someone who likes to ride!

By the way, I hear the WRR is faster than the KTM 400.....

-NoVector
Old 06-19-2008, 05:59 PM   #252
DougRoost
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Frankly, if I was in your shoes, I'd be on a "lightly used" (if there is such a thing) 06-07 TE 610 in a heart beat based on what you want it for. 80 on the road?

Husky lust runs deep....
Yeah, a new-looking '06 with an aftermarket exhaust just sold here...and it was from a friend! I didn't even know he had it, but it was one more toy than he had time for. By the time I saw the post it was sold. That's okay, it was blue and yellow and I prefer the red and white. I'll just keep telling myself that anyway.
Old 06-19-2008, 08:18 PM   #253
LoriKTM
Wrecking Ball

Quote:

By the way, I hear the WRR is faster than the KTM 400.....

-NoVector

No way. Now you're just being mean.
Ok, my 400 probably won't ever see 85mph, even on a downhill with a tailwind.

Maybe I'll just get a TE250 instead.
Old 06-19-2008, 08:38 PM   #254
rhino_343
Southern Explorer

Oddometer: 2,120
Quote:
Yeah, a new-looking '06 with an aftermarket exhaust just sold here...and it was from a friend! I didn't even know he had it, but it was one more toy than he had time for. By the time I saw the post it was sold. That's okay, it was blue and yellow and I prefer the red and white. I'll just keep telling myself that anyway.
I just test rode a WRR to compliment my 07 TE610 Husky, I liked the bike and the ergonomice and steering etc. felt fantastic, but overall it just felt too soft. I rode it back to back with a WR250F and the F was just so fun to ride (on dirt, on road it sucked like crazy and is where the WRR shined) so I ended up buying an 07 WR450F which I think will compliment my 610 very well... the 450 will only see dirt duty with just some transport sections between dirt on the tar.
As far as the TE610 compared to the WRR, very different feeling on the road, obviously the 610 is a powerhouse in comparison, but is also bigger heavier and doesnt turn anywhere near as well. I am off tomorrow for a couple of thousand kilometers of desert riding in the outback on the TE610 and I wouldnt want to try that on the WRR. For a one bike do it all commute and trail bike the WRR would be superb.
Southern Explorers trail and adventure riding group contact me for details
rhino_343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 08:57 PM   #255
Sock Monkey OP
Corporate slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhino_343
I just test rode a WRR to compliment my 07 TE610 Husky, I liked the bike and the ergonomice and steering etc. felt fantastic, but overall it just felt too soft. I rode it back to back with a WR250F and the F was just so fun to ride (on dirt, on road it sucked like crazy and is where the WRR shined) so I ended up buying an 07 WR450F which I think will compliment my 610 very well... the 450 will only see dirt duty with just some transport sections between dirt on the tar.
If I remember right, you lucky buggers can put a license plate on your WRFs. We can't do that here. If we want a plate our choices are the WR R/X or the truly soft XT (at least that's the way it is in California, but many other states are this way as well). The closest we can come to a "race ready" 250 that we can put a plate on is the Husky TE250 since KTM stopped importing their 250 EXC here a few years ago.

-NoVector