Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-07-2011, 11:37 AM   #25516
onetravdown
I can't ride where?

Oddometer: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by RimBenty View Post
Yeah, this past weekend at the Hammer run we stopped to catch our breath for a while and my son left his key on. The motor would crank over but it was too slow to start it so I pulled my battery and jump started his. If there was a hill or something close by we would have used that but we were on flat sandy ground.
His bikes due for a new battery, for the amount of time we were there it should have been fine.
Hey, there were a couple of hills at The Hammer Run.

But more abundant were the trees. This one finally got me. Anyone have a white fender or headlight?

onetravdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 11:49 AM   #25517
onetravdown
I can't ride where?

It's times like these when I'm thankful to have the Safari tank.

Old 11-07-2011, 02:11 PM   #25518
RimBenty
Bender of Rims

Oddometer: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by trav72 View Post
Hey, there were a couple of hills at The Hammer Run.

But more abundant were the trees. This one finally got me. Anyone have a white fender or headlight?
The trees got both of us too.
On Sunday where they had us going up and down the dirt piles (Way fun!), did you notice the one where to two trees were close together at the bottom and you couldn't see them until you were at the top? My son wheeled off the hill and didn't make it through the trees. He slowed down after that. I did notice bark missing from both of those trees.
RimBenty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 02:31 PM   #25519
Novy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
I tried posting this last night but something must have gone wrong.

If somebody has a faulty fuel pump kicking around, I am in need of of the elbow that comes out the bottom and connects to the fuel line. If you have one, lets swing a deal!

I managed to knock my tank off the bike while adjusting the TPS, and the cheap plastic fitting ended up in 5 pieces. I priced out a fuel pump today, just shy of $500 CDN. Even $215 US hurts when all I need is a tiny piece of plastic. The only good thing in this scenario is I was in the process of getting the bike ready to be parked for the winter, so I'm not missing out on any riding time and have all winter to hopefully find somebody who can help me out.
Novy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 02:58 PM   #25520
onetravdown
I can't ride where?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RimBenty View Post
The trees got both of us too.
On Sunday where they had us going up and down the dirt piles (Way fun!), did you notice the one where to two trees were close together at the bottom and you couldn't see them until you were at the top? My son wheeled off the hill and didn't make it through the trees. He slowed down after that. I did notice bark missing from both of those trees.
I think I know exactly where you are talking about and they almost got me too. But I was able to pinball through them. I also saw lots of trees with bark missing.

I rode the Hammer last year also and it's one if the best rides in the N.E. Hopefully they add another one in the spring.

Edit: Not my video but was it the two trees at 3:36?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=QntXlgFYmPE

onetravdown screwed with this post 11-07-2011 at 03:29 PM
Old 11-07-2011, 03:48 PM   #25521
riverman
Life is great !

Oddometer: 149
Import duties - Where are WR250R's assembled??

I am asking this as it becomes a factor when purchasing a bike from someone in the United States and importing it into Canada. If the bike was manufactured or assembled in the USA there are no import duties when bringing it into Canada. For example, I bought a Goldwing from a guy in Maine several years ago and there were no import duties applied since, at that time the Goldwing was assembled in the southern United States.

If there is an assembly plant in the US can you let me know where it is? Alternatively, for those who have purchased stateside and imported to Canada, did you have to pay duty and if so, what percentage?

'11 WR250R
'13 Tiger 800XC
riverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 03:55 PM   #25522
Stormy Weather
skier turned bike nut

Oddometer: 112
Import to Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverman View Post
I am asking this as it becomes a factor when purchasing a bike from someone in the United States and importing it into Canada. If the bike was manufactured or assembled in the USA there are no import duties when bringing it into Canada. For example, I bought a Goldwing from a guy in Maine several years ago and there were no import duties applied since, at that time the Goldwing was assembled in the southern United States.

If there is an assembly plant in the US can you let me know where it is? Alternatively, for those who have purchased stateside and imported to Canada, did you have to pay duty and if so, what percentage?
Talk to Thumpidump. He just went through this process described here,

Ethan
Old 11-07-2011, 04:21 PM   #25523
riverman
Life is great !

Oddometer: 149
Yeah thanks. I just PM'd him. He pointed me to his blog but it does not mention duties so I assume there are none. Just sent him a follow-up question on that to confirm. My KLR has just been sold so I am quite keen to acquire the WR.

'11 WR250R
'13 Tiger 800XC
riverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 05:05 PM   #25524
thumpididump
MacGyver

Oddometer: 2,428
Indeed... I forgot to mention the topic of duty because there was none. I didn't expect any, and therefore it never ocurred to mention it. Duty is applied to many things for us Canucks, but it seems that used vehicles are exempt --- I assume it's thanks to a past Prime Minister who was otherwise quite unpopular some 20 years ago.

FY-YFF
2014 KTM 690 Enduro R
thumpididump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 07:16 PM   #25525
RimBenty
Bender of Rims

Oddometer: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by trav72 View Post
Edit: Not my video but was it the two trees at 3:36?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=QntXlgFYmPE
Yeah, that was it. Not exactly the place to try and ride a wheele through.
RimBenty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 06:25 AM   #25526
coresports
coresports

Oddometer: 248
sweet!! these bikes looks so much better with black rims, IMHO. i got my set from wheeling and i am very happy with them but i must say, your hubs add a nice touch of color (mine are stock yamaha). as for mounting the tires, i am to the point where i just pay the local shop $20 per wheel but free mounting if you buy your tires there, not lazy i am just not that good at spooning on the new rubber!

Quote:
Originally Posted by herods_flu View Post
Finally got my dirt wheels mounted up. Only went through through two front tubes getting the tires on the rims
It was a lot harder than the guy in the you tube video made it seem. The handling will definitely take some getting
used to.

1 234 by stedfastbloom, on Flickr

1 236 by stedfastbloom, on Flickr
coresports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 06:43 AM   #25527
coresports
coresports

Oddometer: 248
i figure you have already mounted your tires but i just wanted to mention that i used locks on both sets of my tires/rims: off-road non-DOT full knob setup and my street legal DOT setup but thats more for looks, just don't like that hole there with nothing in it. i am an old dirt bike rider, we always had rim locks, they are cheap, there for a reason and i would rather have them and not need them vs needing them and not having them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
Hi!

Please bear with me, this is my first time installing tires.

So, for my WR250X I got a set of 21"/18" dirt wheels. I want to mount the tires today and now I realize that the rims have two holes, I assume one for the valve stem and one for a rim lock.

Question: do I have to install a rim lock? If not, what should I do with the hole?

Many thanks!
coresports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 06:59 AM   #25528
Dahveed
Sumo Biker!

Oddometer: 5,518
Quote:
Originally Posted by coresports View Post
i am to the point where i just pay the local shop $20 per wheel but free mounting if you buy your tires there, not lazy i am just not that good at spooning on the new rubber!
What do you do if your on the trails and get a flat? I'm not real good at changing tires either, but it gives me some good practice in a handy environment so that when I do get a flat, I can fix it. Of course, I always try to ride with people that are better mechanics than myself.
'13 R1200GS
'08 WR250R
Dahveed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 08:59 AM   #25529
what broke now
Petroleum Brother

Oddometer: 1,223
Flats in the woods

Carry large zipties out in the woods. The larger ones +- 36" work well to tie the knobby thru the spokes. Four of them on a rear wheel usu. works, cut the tails a little long, just enough to rotate freely. That will likely get you back to the truck or home. An emergency kit of ties is about $5.
what broke now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 01:39 PM   #25530
MiamiMotorcyclist
used to be -MiamiUly

Oddometer: 1,862
Quote:
Originally Posted by what broke now View Post
Carry large zipties out in the woods. The larger ones +- 36" work well to tie the knobby thru the spokes. Four of them on a rear wheel usu. works, cut the tails a little long, just enough to rotate freely. That will likely get you back to the truck or home. An emergency kit of ties is about $5.
That is a pretty cool tip and I really like your screen name.