Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-08-2011, 02:12 PM   #25531
Rapid Dog
bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer: 8,960
Think I may have found an X. I want R wheels. Anyone interested in a straight-across swap, PM me...

Rapid Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 02:36 PM   #25532
thumpididump
MacGyver

Oddometer: 2,357

Quote:
Originally Posted by what broke now View Post
Carry large zipties out in the woods. The larger ones +- 36" work well to tie the knobby thru the spokes. Four of them on a rear wheel usu. works, cut the tails a little long, just enough to rotate freely. That will likely get you back to the truck or home. An emergency kit of ties is about $5.

FY-YFF.com
2014 KTM 690 Enduro R
"You can't put the shit back in the donkey." - Tony Soprano
thumpididump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 03:14 PM   #25533
duanew1
In my Pajama pants

Oddometer: 744
This sucks. I bought my girlfriend a 1992 XT225 and replaced every oil seal that I can get to easily. I even replaced the countershaft seal after it popped out. I think that I finally got it to quit dripping oil. Now I find a drip under my WR250R. Are the drips contagious?

I think that it is the countershaft seal. That is about the only thing that it could be as that is where the oil seems to be coming from. I guess I will have to pull the sprocket and take a better look. Oh yea, my chain is not tight and is on the loose end of the range. The only other person that I could find that has had this problem was Krabill and he said that his was only weeping a little bit.
2008 SYM HD200
duanew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 04:16 PM   #25534
Stormy Weather
skier turned bike nut

Oddometer: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by duanew1 View Post
This sucks. I bought my girlfriend a 1992 XT225 and replaced every oil seal that I can get to easily. I even replaced the countershaft seal after it popped out. I think that I finally got it to quit dripping oil. Now I find a drip under my WR250R. Are the drips contagious?

I think that it is the countershaft seal. That is about the only thing that it could be as that is where the oil seems to be coming from. I guess I will have to pull the sprocket and take a better look. Oh yea, my chain is not tight and is on the loose end of the range. The only other person that I could find that has had this problem was Krabill and he said that his was only weeping a little bit.
Just call it an automatic chain oiler and leave it at that....
Old 11-08-2011, 08:53 PM   #25535
Cycle Sector
Aka Disco

Oddometer: 72
Your bike looks like mine! Here is a pic from last weekend, I also have red hubs but the dirt is kinda covering them :)

Cycle Sector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 07:10 AM   #25536
cozmo2312
Canyon Carver

Oddometer: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by herods_flu View Post
Finally got my dirt wheels mounted up. Only went through through two front tubes getting the tires on the rims
It was a lot harder than the guy in the you tube video made it seem. The handling will definitely take some getting
used to.

1 234 by stedfastbloom, on Flickr

wow this makes me want dirt wheels for my X. looks slick
cozmo2312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 08:11 AM   #25537
coresports
coresports

Oddometer: 228
good point, i think i will toss the spoons in the toolkit rather than leaving them at home next time out. i have trail fixed a few flats in my days, its just been a while! i do try and keep newer tires & tubes mounted up and i don't drop the pressure a lot, probably been a little lucky so far but you got me thinking being better prepared may not be a bad idea! thx

on another note, not much traffic on the way into work today! lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahveed View Post
What do you do if your on the trails and get a flat? I'm not real good at changing tires either, but it gives me some good practice in a handy environment so that when I do get a flat, I can fix it. Of course, I always try to ride with people that are better mechanics than myself.
Attached Images

coresports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 05:11 PM   #25538
herods_flu
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 296
After doing the tires the one time I probably won't anymore. I figured I needed to at least know how to do it in case I ever needed to. The Cycle Gear in my area used to do free mounting if you bought tires from them, I'll have to call them and find out if they still do cuz the X-wheels need tires too and I don't want to mess with the street tires.
herods_flu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 05:34 PM   #25539
sTE610vE
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,861
Here's a couple of thoughts on mounting and fixing tires fwiw.

Using lube to mount the tires make a big difference, I use Ru-glyde rubber lube. You can use soapy water but I prefer true tire mounting lube. I carry it in a small travel style flip top shampoo bottle on the bike for flats on the trail.

When dismounting tires, rear tires especially, lever both beads out over the outside of the rim, so the rim is completely inside the tire. Then twist the wheel out of the tire. It's much easier that trying to pry the tire off of one side of the wheel. Reverse the process to mount the tire.

In your garage use a 5 gallon bucket to set the wheel on to make it easier to work on the tire. You can fill it half full of sand or water or whatever to make it more stable if you need too.
Cagiva Gran Canyon
sTE610vE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 05:42 PM   #25540
Dahveed
Sumo Biker!

Oddometer: 5,445
Quote:
After doing the tires the one time I probably won't anymore. I figured I needed to at least know how to do it in case I ever needed to. The Cycle Gear in my area used to do free mounting if you bought tires from them, I'll have to call them and find out if they still do cuz the X-wheels need tires too and I don't want to mess with the street tires.
I know the feeling, but its nice to be able to change out that tire at home and get back on the road. I know my Cycle gear charges $30 if you bring them a tire and $20 if you buy it from them. They also won't rush it, so if someone calls in sick and/or they're really busy, it could take a day or two before they get around to it. I had them change my GS's tires but I'm currently saving up for a No-Mar or similar to change them myself in the future.
'13 R1200GS
'08 WR250R
Dahveed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 05:51 PM   #25541
simonpig
packin' heat

Oddometer: 946
Dude, your avatar is gayer than a wall of dicks. I hope you're a chick cause I just can't help but put that out there.

Quote:
simonpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 05:55 PM   #25542
joenuclear
Planning.....

Oddometer: 6,049
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonpig View Post
Dude, your avatar is gayer than a wall of dicks. I hope you're a chick cause I just can't help but put that out there.
Old 11-09-2011, 06:21 PM   #25543
Cycle Sector
Aka Disco

Oddometer: 72
Ive got a couple extra brand new black GPR V4 Steering Stabilizers left over from my Group Buy. If anyone is interested they are $389 + $12 shipping.
Cycle Sector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 06:22 PM   #25544
herods_flu
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonpig View Post

Don't be jealous.
herods_flu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 07:29 PM   #25545
OSU
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
Wicked tail rack & exhaust protection and a little extra

hey guys what tail rack should I get thats light and functional to strap on a duffle bag and what do you guys use to protect your aftermarket exhaust from damage I wish they had a plastic kit what wraps around the pipe like a mx bike. Also a little off topic but I cam across this new KTM E bike its interesting to see one in action.