Quote:
Originally Posted by herods_flu View Post
Don't be jealous.
hahaha
Old 11-09-2011, 07:47 PM   #25547
skierd
Wannabe Far-Rider

Oddometer: 2,873
*nerd alert* Is it just me, or does the Freeride E kinda sound like the dementors from Harry Potter?

Cool bikes, I'll keep my gasoline for now but very very cool bikes.
skierd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 08:07 PM   #25548
jeickerman
Full of it.

Oddometer: 150
eBikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by skierd View Post
*nerd alert* Is it just me, or does the Freeride E kinda sound like the dementors from Harry Potter?

Cool bikes, I'll keep my gasoline for now but very very cool bikes.
They sound like slot cars. No thank you. KTM 990s sound wonderful, however.

John
jeickerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 09:03 PM   #25549
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,842
Tires

Tire mounting question again: Tonight I tried for the first time and got the front D606 on. What a f****** nightmare ... The tire irons I have are too short and I really wrestled the thing on. Nearly broke my fingers getting the valve stem through the rim hole.

Now, is the D606 bead supposed to "pop" on the rim when I put air in? I couldn't get it to pop with my (large) manual pump.

For now I only know this: I will bring rear rim and tire to the shop and have them mount the thing. I'm done trying this without proper tools. Spooning the front on was bad enough, I won't even try the rear with the tools I have.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 09:35 PM   #25550
skierd
Wannabe Far-Rider

Oddometer: 2,873
Pissed

Did you make sure to have the bead of the tire in the dish of the rim? I've done all but one change with 8" irons, you really don't need all that much leverage, if the opposite part of the bead is down in the dish it should mostly slide on easy peazy . The valve stem you just get used to doing I guess. If anything the rear tire is easier imo...

My dirt tires sometimes popped and sometimes didn't but still snuck onto the bead seat just fine using a mountain bike pump.
skierd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 09:43 PM   #25551
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by skierd View Post
Did you make sure to have the bead of the tire in the dish of the rim?
Couldn't really get it there with no leverage as I had no real handle on the thing. Easy peazy is definitely not the word I would use. I was sweating like crazy when I had that thing on. Bad technique, I know.

Nevertheless, I'll go to the shop on the weekend and have them mount the rear and check the front. I'm not in the mood of trying the rear. There are so many other things I need to install to get ready for my trip that I don't want to waste another two hours to wrestle the rear on.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 09:50 PM   #25552
Dahveed
Sumo Biker!

Oddometer: 5,547
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
Tire mounting question again: Tonight I tried for the first time and got the front D606 on. What a f****** nightmare ... The tire irons I have are too short and I really wrestled the thing on. Nearly broke my fingers getting the valve stem through the rim hole.

Now, is the D606 bead supposed to "pop" on the rim when I put air in? I couldn't get it to pop with my (large) manual pump.

For now I only know this: I will bring rear rim and tire to the shop and have them mount the thing. I'm done trying this without proper tools. Spooning the front on was bad enough, I won't even try the rear with the tools I have.
Practice makes perfect. My first tire change was also much tougher than I expected. But the experience paid off the day I had 3 flats on the same tire.
This doodad makes it easier to get the valve stem in the hole.

I use a small compressor at home. You might have to over inflate the tires to get the bead to set right.

Make sure the tire is pushed into the depression on the center of the rim. Did you use tire lube (aka soapy water)?

You tube has many videos of guys changing dirt bike tires. The dunlop videos seem to be the best. Its about 4 minutes to get the old tire off and 4 minutes to get the new tire on.
'13 R1200GS
'08 WR250R
Dahveed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 09:55 PM   #25553
duanew1
In my Pajama pants

Oddometer: 746
Quote:
Originally Posted by sTE610vE View Post
When dismounting tires, rear tires especially, lever both beads out over the outside of the rim, so the rim is completely inside the tire. Then twist the wheel out of the tire. It's much easier that trying to pry the tire off of one side of the wheel. Reverse the process to mount the tire.
Yes this works great to get the tire off but think that there is a better way to put on the first bead. I saw this in a video once and it works great. If the rim is elevated, put a little lube on the bead and hook one side in the well of the rim. Next alternate left and right pushing down and the tire usually slides on no irons required.
2008 SYM HD200
duanew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 09:56 PM   #25554
Dahveed
Sumo Biker!

Oddometer: 5,547
Quote:
Couldn't really get it there with no leverage as I had no real handle on the thing. Easy peazy is definitely not the word I would use. I was sweating like crazy when I had that thing on. Bad technique, I know.

Nevertheless, I'll go to the shop on the weekend and have them mount the rear and check the front. I'm not in the mood of trying the rear. There are so many other things I need to install to get ready for my trip that I don't want to waste another two hours to wrestle the rear on.
Here are the videos I mentioned before. This guy changes a lot of tires, so he makes it look easy. But it still should be doable in an hour a wheel. Oh, and don't wear a white shirt. The wheels he's working on are very clean. Yours aren't.

'13 R1200GS
'08 WR250R
Dahveed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 04:48 AM   #25555
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 10,080
Spooning Tires by Hand

Neduro's Tire Changing Class:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...+tire+changing

After years of poor success spooning tires, I read this thread back when I first bought my 950 in 2005. Then I went out and practiced pulling tubes in the comfort of my barn until I got it right. The reason I went to all this work is because I was going to run a 5000 mile event that would require me to change tires by hand. The change took place in a gravel parking lot in the Yukon. After I changed mine, I was invited to change a couple others!

Dang, I felt like a rock star

If you take your time, use a little soap (WD40 works), and are careful to use all the well, there should be no struggling. If you are using a lot of force, you're not doing it right. I use 8 inch spoons from Motion Pro. I have a 13 inch spoon as well, but I don't need it.

I generally need about 50 lbs of air pressure to pop the rear bead, which is a big tire. The front doesn't take much, though. A squirt of WD40 is handy. I'm sure this thread is full of contributors that spoon tires routinely.

I apologize if this is a 205
Pantah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 04:50 AM   #25556
sTE610vE
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,923
Quote:
Originally Posted by duanew1 View Post
Yes this works great to get the tire off but think that there is a better way to put on the first bead. I saw this in a video once and it works great. If the rim is elevated, put a little lube on the bead and hook one side in the well of the rim. Next alternate left and right pushing down and the tire usually slides on no irons required.
Yes it does vary with the tire putting it back on. On tires that aren't super stiff I put the on from the same side like you describe most of the time you're correct.

And like I said before a 5 gallon bucket with the wheel sitting on the open end makes it so much easier.
Cagiva Gran Canyon
sTE610vE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 05:48 AM   #25557
MoBill
Smiles when says dat

Oddometer: 13,398
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post
That's one that's worth quoting again and again...got me going, that's sure.
MoBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 06:02 AM   #25558
herods_flu
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 296
To get the bead to seat I ended up spraying soapy water all the way around both sides and just kept putting air in it until it looked right. I couldn't get it without the soapy water allowing the bead to slide up. I also found the rear quite a bit harder than the front.
herods_flu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 06:49 AM   #25559
RichardU
Let's Ride

Oddometer: 891
Quote:
Nearly broke my fingers getting the valve stem through the rim hole.
I always put the tube into the tire first. And when I install the tire, the valve stem goes in first. Easy. I've changed 40-50 tires that way and haven't pinched a tube yet.
RichardU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 06:59 AM   #25560
GSBS
FunHog

Oddometer: 3,886
Valve Stem Snake...

...Link here.

Will pay for itself in band-aids for knuckles after a couple of rigid sidewall knobbies:

GSBS is offline   Reply With Quote