Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-11-2011, 08:54 PM   #25576
ArmyJoe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,161
I ran out of gas today while on the highway. Luckily, the bike is light and I was one mile from a gas station. I got 27 miles from the time the low fuel light came on. Is that about normal for speeds in the 70-80 MPH range with stock equipment?

My latest adventures detailed at ArmyJoe's Perpetual Picture Thread:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=888783
ArmyJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 09:31 PM   #25577
TwilightZone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,903
>"MT43 Update..."

What's the seat on your bike ??? Looks pretty comfortable.
TwilightZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 10:01 PM   #25578
skierd
Wannabe Far-Rider

Oddometer: 2,900
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyJoe View Post
I ran out of gas today while on the highway. Luckily, the bike is light and I was one mile from a gas station. I got 27 miles from the time the low fuel light came on. Is that about normal for speeds in the 70-80 MPH range with stock equipment?
In my experience yes.
skierd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 11:48 PM   #25579
GSBS
FunHog

Oddometer: 3,901
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwilightZone View Post
>"MT43 Update..."

What's the seat on your bike ??? Looks pretty comfortable.
Rick Mayer seat
GSBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 06:17 AM   #25580
Cromoth
Inspection due 5_31

Oddometer: 570
tire iron FMF Q4 protector

I use a Flatlands kit (tail rack, radiator guard, skid plate). 30L dry bag fits nicely w/ratchet straps.
The 15" tire iron thread is here or search The Garage for "tap a bolt"
http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...highlight=bolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSU View Post
hey guys what tail rack should I get thats light and functional to strap on a duffle bag and what do you guys use to protect your aftermarket exhaust from damage ...
Cromoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 10:37 AM   #25581
jjustj
cum petris et choris

Oddometer: 5,468
MT evaluation..

thanks for pics. I use one on my 450 exc, why am i on here.. i have yammie lust in my heart for the 250.... perhaps some day.
My experience with the MT is also very favorable as i am not a ROOSTafarian. Thanks for all the valuable info... This is a great thread!

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=348508
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=489958 Sunday worship, a strap-on, and Does this water taste funny?
jjustj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 09:45 PM   #25582
ironbrewer
Hopefully Riding

Oddometer: 4,010
J you need to buy a WR. You can try mine anytime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjustj View Post
thanks for pics. I use one on my 450 exc, why am i on here.. i have yammie lust in my heart for the 250.... perhaps some day.
My experience with the MT is also very favorable as i am not a ROOSTafarian. Thanks for all the valuable info... This is a great thread!

Pat Paulsen
ironbrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 12:30 PM   #25583
keith_mahoney42
ubernoob

Oddometer: 49
I've got about 3800 miles on my WR and it just started making a loud squealing noise which appears to be coming from the lower cases. After reading reports of crank bearings going out, this is not making me happy. Unfortunately I am not under warranty any longer due to a deployment 6 months after purchasing this bike.
keith_mahoney42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 12:46 PM   #25584
Kjharn
Hrmph?

Oddometer: 1,140
Quote:
Originally Posted by keith_mahoney42 View Post
I've got about 3800 miles on my WR and it just started making a loud squealing noise which appears to be coming from the lower cases. After reading reports of crank bearings going out, this is not making me happy. Unfortunately I am not under warranty any longer due to a deployment 6 months after purchasing this bike.

It's the rubber on the rear sprocket. Lube the fuck out of it, cover it in mud, or change the sprocket.
Old 11-13-2011, 02:40 PM   #25585
keith_mahoney42
ubernoob

Oddometer: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjharn View Post
It's the rubber on the rear sprocket. Lube the fuck out of it, cover it in mud, or change the sprocket.
No it's definitely coming from the lower case with just the bike running and not moving or adding any throttle.
keith_mahoney42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 06:33 PM   #25586
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,845
Tire Mounting

Okay I give up. It feels like I'm trying to get a 17" tire on an 18" wheel. I don't have the slightest chance.

1) I got the tire to room temperature (and some sun)
2) I got it lubed properly
3) I had a hard time getting the tube in (heavy duty tube)
4) Spooning, I had no chance getting the last quarter of the tire over

Yes, I did push it down on the other side. Yes, it was still lubed. I really don't know whether I'm doing something wrong - but I guess I do. The tire irons are damn short, but still, I should be able to get this thing on. Not a chance. Not even close. Once I'm closing in on the last 10 inches all I'm able to do is lifting the tire, I can't pull the iron over.

I'm getting it to the shop in the next days and I'll not attempt this shit again. It was a workout, but if I want a workout I can go to the gym.
cug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 06:37 PM   #25587
Dahveed
Sumo Biker!

Oddometer: 5,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
Okay I give up. It feels like I'm trying to get a 17" tire on an 18" wheel. I don't have the slightest chance.

Yes, I did push it down on the other side. Yes, it was still lubed. I really don't know whether I'm doing something wrong - but I guess I do. The tire irons are damn short, but still, I should be able to get this thing on. Not a chance. Not even close. Once I'm closing in on the last 10 inches all I'm able to do is lifting the tire, I can't pull the iron over.

I'm getting it to the shop in the next days and I'll not attempt this shit again. It was a workout, but if I want a workout I can go to the gym.
What tire are you installing? Often the tubeless type tires are harder to get on. I remember the first time I changed tires on my KLR. I had help and still the tire we were installing had a very stiff sidewall.
'13 R1200GS
'08 WR250R
Dahveed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 06:41 PM   #25588
sTE610vE
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,961
Quote:

Did you have the valve stem out. no air in the tube?
Cagiva Gran Canyon
sTE610vE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 06:45 PM   #25589
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,845
I was going with the video mentioned above, some air in the tube, but not much. It was softer that the shown in the video.
cug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 06:51 PM   #25590
JamesG
Rabid Poster

Oddometer: 10,946
Quote:

You either need longer spoons for more leverage or you do need to go to the gym.

Of course there is a limit to how much you can/should force a tire before you start gouging or bending the rim, esp. on spoked rims. I find having three spoons helpful. One to pin the starting place and to keep the section still outside of the lip from sliding around while I work the rest of the bead into the wheel. Having extras are also handy when cursing and throwing them around the shop.

Not only do you need to push down on the opposite side of the tire to get enough slack to work with, you also need it to curl under, esp. on tubed rims.
JamesG is offline   Reply With Quote