Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-13-2011, 05:56 PM   #25591
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesG View Post
Not only do you need to push down on the opposite side of the tire to get enough slack to work with, you also need it to curl under, esp. on tubed rims.
The tire was still way to stiff for this. I got it in the dish, but I could do much else. I'm fairly fit, but I had plain no chance at all. I was trying not to scratch the rim too badly so I used plastic rim protectors, but overall - it was just a terrible experience that I won't try again soon. Not with the tools I have. Longer spoons might help, better spoons that won't scratch the rim as much, and also a bead buddy or so might help.

Still - it wasn't just the tools. I don't know what I still did wrong, probably quite something, but again - I'm sick of this and I just pay the 20 bucks and be done with it.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 06:09 PM   #25592
sTE610vE
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,922
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
I was going with the video mentioned above, some air in the tube, but not much. It was softer that the shown in the video.
I know why they want a little air in the tube, to make it harder to pinch when installing, but it is easy to get just a little too much in and it will make the difference whether you can get it on or not.

I agree with airing it up to round the tube out but i always take the valve core completely out when spooning it on. If I had to guess that is your problem.
Cagiva Gran Canyon
sTE610vE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 06:26 PM   #25593
Shawnee Bill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,895
Quote:
Okay I give up. It feels like I'm trying to get a 17" tire on an 18" wheel. I don't have the slightest chance.

1) I got the tire to room temperature (and some sun)
2) I got it lubed properly
3) I had a hard time getting the tube in (heavy duty tube)
4) Spooning, I had no chance getting the last quarter of the tire over

Yes, I did push it down on the other side. Yes, it was still lubed. I really don't know whether I'm doing something wrong - but I guess I do. The tire irons are damn short, but still, I should be able to get this thing on. Not a chance. Not even close. Once I'm closing in on the last 10 inches all I'm able to do is lifting the tire, I can't pull the iron over.

I'm getting it to the shop in the next days and I'll not attempt this shit again. It was a workout, but if I want a workout I can go to the gym.
At this point you need some real in person help from someone with experience. Mounting a tire is not that hard, something just isn't right.
I don't understand having a hard time getting the tube in, they just slip right in, nothing to it. Unless you are meaning getting the valve stem through the hole, that can be a real pain sometimes.

Some tires are tougher than others but still doable.
GL1800
FZ-1 For sale
Shawnee Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 06:42 PM   #25594
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,842
I agree with all of you that this shouldn't be that hard. As said, I don't know what I'm doing wrong and now I plain have no desire anymore of trying again.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 06:53 PM   #25595
Dahveed
Sumo Biker!

Oddometer: 5,547
Quote:
I agree with all of you that this shouldn't be that hard. As said, I don't know what I'm doing wrong and now I plain have no desire anymore of trying again.
I hear you and understand your frustration. Clean up and have a refreshing beverage of your choice. Deal with it tomorrow. BTW, the most common emoticon I use when describing me attempting any mechanical "improvement" is this one
'13 R1200GS
'08 WR250R

Dahveed screwed with this post 11-13-2011 at 08:20 PM
Dahveed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 07:04 PM   #25596
MoBill
Smiles when says dat

Oddometer: 13,398
+1...some knacks take a while to develop.

And as soon as you feel the frustration mount...it's OK to walk away. You'll never be less frustrated if you stick, only more.

For me "everytime is like the first time"...not quite, but infrequency does add to the difficulty.

You're not alone man...I'm a monkey f'n a football sometimes.
MoBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 07:22 PM   #25597
skierd
Wannabe Far-Rider

Oddometer: 2,873
No shame in punting at this point and letting the shop do it... particularly if they'll let you watch them change it.

The last bit of sliding the tire on is by far the hardest. You really usually have to stand on the tire on the opposite end to make sure it stays down in the dish of the rim and doesn't slip its way back up on the rim lip. This is also where you're most likely to bite the tube ruining all the work you've just done. I've had a soft warmed up tire give me fits, I've had stiff as a board tires slide ride on (the BT090's I mounted last on my X for example when on like butta). There's been many a time changing tires when I had to walk away, grab a beer and watch some tv or the internets to calm down and get away from it. Then there's the time when I get both front and rear swapped in 45min total, including putting the bike in the air and taking each wheel off.
skierd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 08:40 PM   #25598
GSBS
FunHog

Oddometer: 3,886
Thing is...

Quote:
...If you ride enough, a day WILL come when you have to fix a tire on the side of a road or in the woods. Much easier if you've already mastered the technique.

Just sayin'...
GSBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 09:02 PM   #25599
duanew1
In my Pajama pants

Oddometer: 746
My knees usually hurt after changing the tires. That is because I use them to squeeze the tire into the center of the rim. I used knee pads last time and it helped alot.
2008 SYM HD200
duanew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 09:05 PM   #25600
Shawnee Bill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSBS View Post
...If you ride enough, a day WILL come when you have to fix a tire on the side of a road or in the woods. Much easier if you've already mastered the technique.

Just sayin'...
The thing to do is always ride with someone you know can fix a flat on the trail, those kind of guys are always willing to help.

GL1800
FZ-1 For sale
Shawnee Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 09:09 PM   #25601
Dahveed
Sumo Biker!

Oddometer: 5,547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnee Bill View Post
The thing to do is always ride with someone you know can fix a flat on the trail, those kind of guys are always willing to help.

Yup!

Actually, its good to have another rider show you how to change those tires. Cug's in California, so you know there are many riders out there who could help him.
'13 R1200GS
'08 WR250R
Dahveed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 09:18 PM   #25602
bearcat1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 224
+1 to all the above advice. Leverage is your friend, get a cheap pry bar set from Harbor Freight and grind the ends smooth like a spoon. Use three tire irons and cheat! There are some folks that can do it with a couple of short tire irons, they got it down with practice. Take a break and come back to it with some leverage and get your confidence back! You can do this and you'll feel better when it's done. When the bead gets tough take it an inch at a time, don't go big. Don't give up.
bearcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 06:20 AM   #25603
bash3r
I ain't no DingWeed

Oddometer: 1,695
Changing Tires

Putting new shoes on the bike can be fun... ok, its my least favorite thing to do! So to added a bit of fun to it last tire change, I decided to use this opportunity to work on my 3 camera workflow for a project I'm working on.. I did this video back in June but thought I'd throw it up anyways.. its not a how to.. but it sure was fun! not!

I also try to only use the tools I'll have if I'm out on a trail somewhere and need to fix a flat. that way I know what I've got actually works..

ADV Gear | 3 Step Hideaway |Campground POIs
bash3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 07:16 AM   #25604
Krabill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,637
Quote:
Originally Posted by keith_mahoney42 View Post
No it's definitely coming from the lower case with just the bike running and not moving or adding any throttle.
The other possibility would be a small rock lodged in your skidplate. I've got rocks stuck in mine and it sounded like the motor was going to come apart. Removed the skidplate and cleaned out the debris and all was right with the world.
Krabill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 09:46 AM   #25605
Sock Monkey OP
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 1,993
Quote:
Spooning on a tire is like wrestling an alligator: It takes some strength, some attitude, has the potential to get bloody, and it has to start (and end) with beer.

The two things you have to get right are 1) you MUST get the opposing side of the tire/bead into the center of the rim (as far in there as you can....otherwise, you will never get that last 1/4 on), and 2) you MUST lube the shit out of the bead or you will likely tear it (AMHIK ). There is a 2.5 thing also, but it's only a huge help vs. a MUST, and that's to have decent tire irons. I've always used the 15" curved ones and they make the job soooooo much easier.

I change my own street bike (tubeless) tires also, which are arguably much harder, and have little problem using those irons (3 of them). Highly recommended.

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote