User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-14-2011, 10:17 AM   #25606
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Oddometer: 6,810
seat mounts

I seemed to have snapped off, while removing, one of the two bolts that hold the seat on from underneath. Not sure how or why it happened, but it did. Of course, it snapped off flush with the captive nut...so I can not even try to use a pair of plyers to twist it out. I am gonna try to drill and retap.

Worse case, I can yank that one(captive nut) out of there and replace with a modified T slot nut from McMaster.

I looked on the fiche, and it does not seem that the nut by itself is available from Yamaha.

Anyone ever have any issues with these??

For right now, the seat is fine being held on with just one.
DougZ73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 10:24 AM   #25607
sturgeon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 915
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougZ73 View Post
I seemed to have snapped off, while removing, one of the two bolts that hold the seat on from underneath. Not sure how or why it happened, but it did. Of course, it snapped off flush with the captive nut...so I can not even try to use a pair of plyers to twist it out. I am gonna try to drill and retap.

Worse case, I can yank that one(captive nut) out of there and replace with a modified T slot nut from McMaster.

I looked on the fiche, and it does not seem that the nut by itself is available from Yamaha.

Anyone ever have any issues with these??

For right now, the seat is fine being held on with just one.
EZ Outs.
sturgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 10:26 AM   #25608
Eurastus
Hej på dej!!

Oddometer: 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by sturgeon View Post
EZ Outs.
+1

These work. I have used them many times to recover from ham-fisted so-called mechanics.
Old 11-14-2011, 11:19 AM   #25609
bigdon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,451
A small left hand drill bit will probably catch it and screw it out!

Don't stop riding until you get to the crash , you might save it!
bigdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 12:17 PM   #25610
duanew1
In my Pajama pants

Oddometer: 746
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
. I've always used the 15" curved ones and they make the job soooooo much easier.

I love this tire iron. It is much easier to reach around the tire bead and grab the rim with these irons. I have some of the 8" straight ones and the 15" makes it so much easier. I can usually do it with only two irons; a long one and a short on to hold where I first started the bead.
2008 SYM HD200
duanew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 02:24 PM   #25611
treybrad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by keith_mahoney42 View Post
I've got about 3800 miles on my WR and it just started making a loud squealing noise which appears to be coming from the lower cases. After reading reports of crank bearings going out, this is not making me happy. Unfortunately I am not under warranty any longer due to a deployment 6 months after purchasing this bike.
Keep us posted on what you find out -- my '08 is making a similar noise. I can't quite pinpoint it, but it's a high pitched squeal coming from somewhere in the lower end. If I give it a touch of throttle to increase the idle, it quiets down. Does yours do that? Been doing it for the last 500mi or so, I have right around 2,800mi on it, doesn't seem to get any worse, oil change didn't have any impact.

trey
Old 11-14-2011, 04:30 PM   #25612
Dahveed
Sumo Biker!

Oddometer: 5,518
Quote:
Originally Posted by duanew1 View Post
I love this tire iron. It is much easier to reach around the tire bead and grab the rim with these irons. I have some of the 8" straight ones and the 15" makes it so much easier. I can usually do it with only two irons; a long one and a short on to hold where I first started the bead.
In the shop (cluttered garage) I use some fancy tire spoons and a monster bar I got from Harbor Freight.

I also use the HF bead breaker

On my KLR, I just carried the fancy spoons and used the kick stand to break the bead.

Yes, its excellent advice to use the stuff on your bike to change the tires, and I did that the first time. However, its much easier (less frustrating) to change your tires using shop equipment.

In fact, I'm thinking of get the little No Mar changer just to save myself the time when I change out my GS's tires. Currently I take them to Cycle Gear and pay $30 per wheel for mount and balance. It would be quicker for me to do it in my garage than mess with Cycle Gear.
'13 R1200GS
'08 WR250R
Dahveed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 05:19 PM   #25613
keith_mahoney42
ubernoob

Oddometer: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by treybrad View Post
Keep us posted on what you find out -- my '08 is making a similar noise. I can't quite pinpoint it, but it's a high pitched squeal coming from somewhere in the lower end. If I give it a touch of throttle to increase the idle, it quiets down. Does yours do that? Been doing it for the last 500mi or so, I have right around 2,800mi on it, doesn't seem to get any worse, oil change didn't have any impact.

trey
I think mine does quiet down when I engage the clutch and pull away from a light but it's hard to tell. I always wear earplugs and the WR is such a loud bike even bone stock. Not just exhaust but lots of mechanical noise as well.
The squealing is so loud it gets on my nerves sometimes at lights and I have earplugs in.
I am just going to ride it another 2k miles and until the next oil change and then send in the oil to get analyzed at a lab to tell me if a bearing is going. Let me know it anything happens to yours in the meantime.
keith_mahoney42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 06:23 PM   #25614
onetravdown
I can't ride where?

Oddometer: 883
Quote:
I think mine does quiet down when I engage the clutch and pull away from a light but it's hard to tell. I always wear earplugs and the WR is such a loud bike even bone stock. Not just exhaust but lots of mechanical noise as well.
The squealing is so loud it gets on my nerves sometimes at lights and I have earplugs in.
I am just going to ride it another 2k miles and until the next oil change and then send in the oil to get analyzed at a lab to tell me if a bearing is going. Let me know it anything happens to yours in the meantime.
I'm not sure if it's the same issue, but contact little squirt on the wr250rforum because he had some sort of squealing noise that sounds very similar to yours. I think he initially thought it was a crank bearing but it turned out to be something else. But I think it's worth a shot to ask him.
onetravdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 07:18 PM   #25615
Saltydog86
village idiot

Oddometer: 980
Quote:
Originally Posted by spntshell View Post
A friend of mine has this for sale, his contact info is below:
2008 bought in 2010 approx 10hrs on bike asking $3500
Wade Mcdade wdmcdade@gmail.com ph 601-616-6180

Just FYI thats a WR250F not an R....to bad it was not closer to me, would be a nice enduro riding bike.
05 Yamaha XT225
03 Honda Goldwing GL1800
Saltydog86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 07:52 PM   #25616
Reposado1800
Juicy J fan!

Oddometer: 5,741
Quote:
Originally Posted by trav72 View Post
I'm not sure if it's the same issue, but contact little squirt on the wr250rforum because he had some sort of squealing noise that sounds very similar to yours. I think he initially thought it was a crank bearing but it turned out to be something else. But I think it's worth a shot to ask him.
I went through that post and listened to the noise. My NX250 used to make that noise. I think it is gear noise. Not really a problem just a feature.
All bikes make some strange noises.
Old 11-14-2011, 08:41 PM   #25617
keith_mahoney42
ubernoob

Oddometer: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by trav72 View Post
Thanks for the heads up. I'm on the same island as him so I'll see if he can check it out.

EDIT: looks like he never found out what the noise was from. He ended up selling his bike.

keith_mahoney42 screwed with this post 11-14-2011 at 09:06 PM
keith_mahoney42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 08:44 PM   #25618
RichardU
Let's Ride

Oddometer: 890
Quote:
Originally Posted by sTE610vE View Post
I agree with airing it up to round the tube out but i always take the valve core completely out when spooning it on.
Absolutely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skierd View Post
You really usually have to stand on the tire on the opposite end to make sure it stays down in the dish of the rim and doesn't slip its way back up on the rim lip.
Quote:
Originally Posted by duanew1 View Post
My knees usually hurt after changing the tires. That is because I use them to squeeze the tire into the center of the rim.
You guys are making this sound scary. I've changed dozens of tires without ever resorting to knees or feet.

For street tires, if anyone is thinking about the Nomar tire changer, you might also want to consider Cycle Hill. It's also made by Nomar but is less expensive and works well.
RichardU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 09:09 PM   #25619
onetravdown
I can't ride where?

Oddometer: 883
Quote:
Thanks for the heads up. I'm on the same island as him so I'll see if he can check it out.

EDIT: looks like he never found out what the noise was from. He ended up selling his bike.
Sorry. I thought he figured it out.
onetravdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 05:55 AM   #25620
SkidMarx
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,675
Quote:
Originally Posted by treybrad View Post

trey
On the '08s the squeal is most likely coming from the stupid rubber damper they put on the sprockets. Mine started to make noise so I cut the rubber off(took some time). No more squeal. New sprockets would work too. but I'm cheap and the originals were still good.
SkidMarx is offline   Reply With Quote