Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-2011, 10:57 PM   #25711
bash3r
I ain't no DingWeed

Oddometer: 1,708
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
So, after I got every single bit installed that I wanted to have, including a Safari tank, dirt wheels and so on, I wanted to install the Wolfman racks and now I'm done. Finished. Fucked. I stripped the freaking allen bolt that the Yamaha engineers in their endless wisdom use for the passenger footpegs - with lots of thread locker and lots of torque ... oh my, I better be quiet.

Will have to find a shop tomorrow that is better equipment and has more experience than myself to get that thing out. I tried with what I have here, didn't get it moving. Actually I got the whole footpeg hanger moving a bit but the bolt seems to be locked up with the hanger.

Any recommendation what kind of shops are good with that? Thanks!
yea lots of peeps had troubles removing the passenger pegs. the key is to heat it up with a torch.. I had to use my dremel to put a slot knotch in the bolt, heated it up real good then used a big screwdriver and it came right out.. heat is key! Good luck!

ADV Gear | 3 Step Hideaway |Campground POIs
bash3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 10:59 PM   #25712
skierd
Wannabe Far-Rider

Oddometer: 2,890
I ended up dremeling the head off of them on mine the first time, then just heating it up the second time. No need for a shop, just cut the bastard bolt head off...
skierd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 11:13 PM   #25713
mototifosi
what does this one do?

Oddometer: 487
Therapy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottmac View Post
We had an ADV group WRR/X Scotts Dampener buy earlier this year. The install was pretty
straightforward with no grinding necessary or any major problems experienced.

I had the surgery on Friday - full ACL replacement in my left knee. It's pretty painful right now
but I'm able to put weight on it and hobble around. I start in on the physical therapy next week.
I have had both knees scoped to clean shtuff up in there, no fun. High sided my F3 at Laguna some years back and broke 10 bones (4 in the wrist). I high sided the 9 fitty a few years after that and cracked my pelvis among other things. Pain meds are your friend. Just make sure to drink 5 times your normal fluids, lots of ruffage (fruits veggies) or you will know what "child birth" is like...

The therapy is crucial especially getting older. My range of motion is 98% of normal. The secret? Pain meds and a few glasses of "red" then do the range of motion drills... in that order!
When you can't feel the pain, they are easier to do!

I have the "damper" just need to get the sub mount. What % off was the "group buy"?

Good luck Scott. You'll be back in no time...
mototifosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 11:15 PM   #25714
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,842
I guess I would cut the head off if I had the tools. Unfortunately I have nothing here to use for this.

Shop is easier at this stage - and I'm sick of it. I was working on the bike the whole weekend to be able to leave tomorrow and now that. Someone should be able to do it tomorrow and then I'm off ... Will take the time I wasted now and pack the rest of my stuff so that I can leave as soon as everything is on.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 11:30 PM   #25715
cug
--

Ha! I remembered that I had bought one of those mini dremel tools a while ago and that actually had a cutting disk - I cut the head off, removed the peg holder and was then able to grab the damn beast and get it out with a vice-grip.

On to installing the Wolfman racks now. Still - somebody at Yamaha should get shot for this shit!
Old 11-20-2011, 11:57 PM   #25716
skierd
Wannabe Far-Rider

Oddometer: 2,890

Funny too, as I was just about to post "try just grabbing the fugger with a pair of vice grips and twisting... see what happens" but you got it already.

Where ya headed again?
skierd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 01:45 AM   #25717
cug
--

Quote:
Originally Posted by skierd View Post
Funny too, as I was just about to post "try just grabbing the fugger with a pair of vice grips and twisting... see what happens" but you got it already.
Yeah, once I had the head of that bugger off, I could get a good grip. Was always slipping off with the pliers before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skierd View Post
Where ya headed again?
Southern California, California City area.

Btw: does anybody have good routes for going from the Bay Area towards San Louis Obispo or Cali City? Preferably some dirt in the mix? Any hints welcome!
Old 11-21-2011, 07:41 AM   #25718
rydnseek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,888
Quote:
Originally Posted by bash3r View Post
yea lots of peeps had troubles removing the passenger pegs. the key is to heat it up with a torch.. I had to use my dremel to put a slot knotch in the bolt, heated it up real good then used a big screwdriver and it came right out.. heat is key! Good luck!
+3 with the torch. I figured they put on red loctite so they would require heat to loosen. I think that is the case. They came right off after i got the heat on them. I was able to use a wrench to get them off.
rydnseek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 08:22 AM   #25719
onetravdown
I can't ride where?

Oddometer: 895
Spare plastics?

Anyone have any unbroken blue radiator shrouds that they want to get rid of? If so, let me know.
onetravdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 08:42 AM   #25720
SkidMarx
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,834
Quote:
Yeah, once I had the head of that bugger off, I could get a good grip. Was always slipping off with the pliers before.

Southern California, California City area.

Btw: does anybody have good routes for going from the Bay Area towards San Louis Obispo or Cali City? Preferably some dirt in the mix? Any hints welcome!
Funny part is that the heat from cutting off the head likely helped release the locktite.

A heat gun works fine too.
SkidMarx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 10:38 AM   #25721
bash3r
I ain't no DingWeed

Oddometer: 1,708
Quote:
Originally Posted by trav72 View Post
Anyone have any unbroken blue radiator shrouds that they want to get rid of? If so, let me know.
I got both mine still...

ADV Gear | 3 Step Hideaway |Campground POIs
bash3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 10:55 AM   #25722
cug
--

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkidMarx View Post
Funny part is that the heat from cutting off the head likely helped release the locktite.

A heat gun works fine too.
Probably true. But the thing was already moving when I rocked the peg. It was interlocked with the peg holder I guess.

I need a heat gun. The hair dryer was probably not enough The other three came loose easily though.
Old 11-21-2011, 11:56 AM   #25723
SkidMarx
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,834
Quote:
I need a heat gun.
I like them so much I have 2
Almost as handy as Duct tape and WD40.
In fact it works well with both.
If you used duct tape to fix something that needed to be stuck but wasn't and now you need to unstick it, a little heat helps get the old stuff off. If something is stuck and WD isn't cutting it, a lot of heat will
1. expand the metal.
2. help the WD work it's way into the stuck part.
3. Melt the locktite that is actually holding it together.

Also good for...
heat shrink
removing graphics
remolding plastic
getting the white' bent plastic' line out of bent plastic.
Removing paint.
Drying paint.
warming up whatever you want to paint when it's cold out.

Not good for drying your hair(ouch). Hair dryer has it beat on that one.
SkidMarx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 12:19 PM   #25724
cug
--

Yeah - I had a heat gun back in Germany, but I'm still nowhere near the tool sophistication I had for 240V after our move to North America and going back to stone age 115V ...

So, after all my questions, here's the result.

I went from this:

to this:

What I've done:
  • OEM links instead of lowered
  • 21"/18" wheels with Dunlop D606
  • Got a Safari Fuel Tank
  • Alu Skidplate
  • Zeta Handguards
  • Wolfman racks
  • ProMoto Billet rear rack
  • R side stand
  • GPS holder (RAM)
  • OEM Spark Arrester (to be legal on fire roads etc)

So far I like it. The bike feels like an oil tanker now though with the huge wheels. I'm definitely not getting rid of my X wheels. They'll be back on soon for backroad fun here in the area. Will get some additional brake disks and a sprocket and switch back and forth - it's easy enough.
Old 11-21-2011, 02:02 PM   #25725
Pantah
Patriot Nation?

Oddometer: 10,103
Quote:
Yeah - I had a heat gun back in Germany, but I'm still nowhere near the tool sophistication I had for 240V after our move to North America and going back to stone age 115V ...

So, after all my questions, here's the result.

I went from this:

to this:

What I've done:
  • OEM links instead of lowered
  • 21"/18" wheels with Dunlop D606
  • Got a Safari Fuel Tank
  • Alu Skidplate
  • Zeta Handguards
  • Wolfman racks
  • ProMoto Billet rear rack
  • R side stand
  • GPS holder (RAM)
  • OEM Spark Arrester (to be legal on fire roads etc)
So far I like it. The bike feels like an oil tanker now though with the huge wheels. I'm definitely not getting rid of my X wheels. They'll be back on soon for backroad fun here in the area. Will get some additional brake disks and a sprocket and switch back and forth - it's easy enough.

Schweeeeet!!!

I noticed you are used to much bigger bikes with lots of torque. Me too. It took me quite awhile to get used to the power delivery of mine. I was totally unimpressed for the first couple months. After my big trip through the Rockies I had that thing figured out and really love it. Such a friendly little thing!
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote