Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-24-2011, 01:22 PM   #25771
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Oddometer: 6,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed@Ford View Post
NEVER consider any combinationwith a 12T C/S sprocket....you'll chew up the swing arm & leave you stranded
I have a 12T cs and my swingarm guard is still brand new looking. I think the eating guard has more to do with chain maintainance and tension than anything else.
Just my two cents.
Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
DougZ73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 01:35 PM   #25772
what broke now
Petroleum Brother

Oddometer: 1,294
." I think the eating guard has more to do with chain maintainance and tension than anything else."

And payload... If you watch your sag settings it helps with slider wear. Frequent inspection will also help keep you out of trouble on this.
what broke now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 01:37 PM   #25773
scottmac
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,548
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktm950se View Post
Wow, good to know, though I'd likely ship this with my bike if I decided to carry a spare.

And yes, my plan is to run the 606 tires.

In the end, what I believe I'm looking for is the greatest degree between ratios by changing only the CS sprocket, and keeping the same chain length and rear sprocket size, AND within the limits of drivability/power of the bike.

What, then would you suggest for sprocket sizes?

I've tried to use Gearing Commander, and maybe I haven't spent enough time with it, but as I don't know the limits of the bike's chain adjustment (for links), nor its real-world ability to pull tall gearing, I'm hoping the inmate collective can show me the path to WRR gearing enlightenment.

ktm950se
I'd say a 48T rear would be a good choice if you don't want to compromise your high speed
riding too much. Carry a 12T counter sprocket to swap for the longer, muddier, nastier offroad
sections.

I watched that vid of the Russian Offroad ride from this year and one thing that stood out in
my mind as a WRR owner was the amount of and deepness of the water crossings. With
all that water I'd want to go through my wiring with a fine tooth comb to make sure everything
is sealed up tightly before a ride like that.

Good luck!
scottmac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 02:49 PM   #25774
ktm950se
Banned

Oddometer: 1,385
Greetings,
So, a 12 and 14 tooth CS sprocket with a 48 tooth rear will fit using the same chain, correct?
Also, can the CS sprockets be swapped without having to break the chain?
I only ask because on some bikes the only way to get the CS off is to break the chain and take it off first...

ktm950se
ktm950se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 03:06 PM   #25775
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Oddometer: 6,838
Not sure about the chain length...but the CS sprocket can be changed w/ out breaking chain.

DougZ73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 04:21 PM   #25776
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,974
By now there should be enough concern raised about the 12T sprocket eating swingarms that someone travelling in very remote areas should avoid it.

If I were going to Russia, and if I wanted to swap the front sprocket to gear down the bike, I would +3 the rear and +1 the front (new chain req'd, but so what?) for the road section, then swap the front back to stock for the heavy off-road sections.
Old 11-24-2011, 07:01 PM   #25777
Saltydog86
village idiot

Oddometer: 1,027
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_l View Post
By now there should be enough concern raised about the 12T sprocket eating swingarms that someone travelling in very remote areas should avoid it.

If I were going to Russia, and if I wanted to swap the front sprocket to gear down the bike, I would +3 the rear and +1 the front (new chain req'd, but so what?) for the road section, then swap the front back to stock for the heavy off-road sections.
A 14/48 is the best all around ration without having to worry about swing arm issues. Will need a 114 link chain for this.
05 Yamaha XT225
03 Honda Goldwing GL1800
Saltydog86 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 07:14 PM   #25778
bhd1223
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltydog86 View Post
A 14/48 is the best all around ration without having to worry about swing arm issues. Will need a 114 link chain for this.
I don't know. BigDog seemed really happy with his 14/50.
Keeping the Vulcan for now. The ladies seem to love it.
bhd1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 07:39 PM   #25779
Attico
Wrong way 'round

Oddometer: 1,832
On a 606 or regular size rear tire?

I went to 13/48 and it really revs at 65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltydog86 View Post
Old 11-24-2011, 08:02 PM   #25780
Saltydog86
village idiot

Oddometer: 1,027
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhd1223 View Post
I don't know. BigDog seemed really happy with his 14/50.
Depends on how/where your riding. I like a 14/48 on a long ride where I can't swap during the trip. 14/43 for commuting, and a 14/52 for mountain riding at high altitude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attico View Post
On a 606 or regular size rear tire?

I went to 13/48 and it really revs at 65
Not sure about a 606, but on a kenda track master . I will NEVER run smaller than a 14 on the front. Asking for problems with a 12 or 13. Those swing arm sliders are expensive at $48.
05 Yamaha XT225
03 Honda Goldwing GL1800
Saltydog86 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 09:45 PM   #25781
duanew1
In my Pajama pants

Oddometer: 753
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougZ73 View Post
Not sure about the chain length...but the CS sprocket can be changed w/ out breaking chain.

I recently had to change my counter sprocket seal and I could not get the counter sprocket off without removing the rear axle and sliding the wheel forward. I have 13/47 with a 110 chain.
2008 SYM HD200
duanew1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 09:47 PM   #25782
The Breeze
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 204
ktm950se,

Here's my $0.02 for what its worth.

I was about to respond to your other thread, where you were down selecting which bike to take, but then I saw your post here....so appears that you picked the WR By the way I have a DR650 and a WR250. If you were going around the world, I'd advise you to take the DR (or your KTM for that matter)....but for this trip, I'd take the WR......hands down.

From the prior posts, I don't want you to get too concerned about the chain/swing arm and gearing issues. You could take a stock WR (sprockets/chain), put on some D606's on it, and you'll be fine....the bike will do it! I know this, because I just rode mine 6k miles from Texas North up the CDR to Canada, South through Idaho, East on the TAT through Utah and Colorado, then South on the CDR to Mexico. I then slabbed it from New Mexico back to S. Texas.....two 500 mile days, back-to-back...cruising 70mph the whole way....no problem.

Having said this, what I found was the following (I weigh 200lbs and had 60lbs of gear):

1) When going up Hurricane pass (from Silverton, CO), I had to clutch it more than I would have liked....but it made it.
2) When riding through Southern Utah, there was several miles of deep sand.....had to keep the throttle pinned....it started to bog a little.....had to clutch it a little.....but it did it.
3) Couple of sections of the CDR were on the slab up in the mountains....had to drop down to 5th...one time to 4th (headwind/steep grade), but could maintain 50mph worse case.....

Note: the MPH were based on my GPS, not the speedo....the speedo is way off...especially with D606 tires.

My point is....you don't have to do anything regarding gearing and you'll be fine. However, based on the above, I'm going to 14/50 gearing. From all the posts I've read....most people go with 13/47.....but, I'm going 14/50 for three reasons:

1) It's not quite as low of gearing 13/47....but lower than stock..... AND if I want it even lower....I can easily swap to a stock 13 CS (easy to carry on the road).
2) The 14 tooth CS should help/prevent the swing arm/chain issue.
3) BigDog runs 14/50......and he knows more than a little about a little Seriously, check out www.bigdogadventures.com This is why I bought/rode a WR on my solo trip described above. He just rode his to Alaska and back and I think he has close to 30k miles on his!

Lastly, don't sweat the chain/swing arm issue too much. There are various opinions, but I tend to agree with the those that think it's a chain wear/adjustment issue. Near the end of my trip, my bike had close to 10k miles on it and the chain had kinks in it (never lubed it once). I was keeping a close eye on it, because I knew of the issue. Sure enough, on the last f'ing day, my chain really stretched. That, coupled with the kinks, ate through my chain slider and nicked my swing arm. Lucking, I made it home before it did any real damage. Bottom line, put new sprockets/chain on your bike before you leave...keep an eye on the adjustment, and you'll be fine.

For everything you ever wanted to know about sprockets/chains on a WR....see the link below!

http://wr250rforum.forumotion.com/t5...-and-sprockets

Hope this helps.

By the way, I'm totally jealous regarding your trip.....it's going to be great!! Looking forward to your RR
The Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 10:07 PM   #25783
ktm950se
Banned

Oddometer: 1,385
Thanks to everyone who has responded to my questions, and in particular, The Breeze, for taking the time to write such a thorough and well-reasoned post.

ktm950se
ktm950se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 07:52 AM   #25784
ArmyJoe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,152
I'm a recent graduate of the Wiley E. Coyote School of Metalworking. Two weeks ago, I dropped my bike and had an opportunity to test my skills straightening my clutch lever.

Here's the before (compared to a new OEM lever):

Here's the after:

I heated the lever on an electric stove burner, then slowly pounded it out with a large ball peen hammer, using a 4x4 as an anvil.

I'm keeping the original as a spare, so I installed the new one. Without thinking, I also took out all the slack in the cable using the tension screw. When I went to pull into traffic outside my subdivision, I let out the clutch to where I'm accustomed to (aka, muscle memory), gave it some gas, and nothing happened. For second I thought I was in neutral. I quickly figured out I had to let the clutch go all the way out. On the flip side, I found upshifting was a breeze and barely any clutch movement was needed.

I'm new to this bike, but I'm guessing that the amount of free play in the clutch lever is personal preference and I was wondering if there's a "by the book" amount of slop I should have.

Thanks,
Joe

My latest adventures detailed at ArmyJoe's Perpetual Picture Thread:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=888783
ArmyJoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 07:55 AM   #25785
ramz
Professional Trail Rider

Oddometer: 1,979
Quote:
Near the end of my trip, my bike had close to 10k miles on it and the chain had kinks in it (never lubed it once). I was keeping a close eye on it, because I knew of the issue. Sure enough, on the last f'ing day, my chain really stretched. That, coupled with the kinks, ate through my chain slider and nicked my swing arm. Lucking, I made it home before it did any real damage. Bottom line, put new sprockets/chain on your bike before you leave...keep an eye on the adjustment, and you'll be fine.
I'd do a bit more than "keep an eye on the adjustment"; I'd lube that chain every day and perhaps avoid the suspense of waiting for the chain to stretch, last day or not.
ramz is offline   Reply With Quote