Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2011, 12:51 PM   #25891
makad
P/T Shed Dwelling Hermit

Oddometer: 267
Enough of the contamination.....

This IS the WRR thread
Heres some pics of mine. I'll do a RR when my buddy with the rest of the trip pics turns up to work.

1763 flawless clicks. An awesome little bike. Cant wait for the next trip
....but really, I do like the Husa's and KT's

Cheers Y'all!
makad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 01:19 PM   #25892
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 10,080
New Tires?

I have stock tires. They are ready to change. I rode them mostly dirt the last 2200 miles. Why would I not order the same?

I'm not a high performance rider anymore, and the stock tires seemed totally competent on both the tar and the gravel/dirt. I never got them in serious mud...

I'd like to try those 606 Dunlops or maybe the DOT trials tires, but seems like I have to change chains as well because those tires are so big in outside diameter. I'd need a longer chain to move the axle back far enough. ..A bit of negative returns.

Thanks
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 01:33 PM   #25893
Lee Dodge
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by makad View Post
This IS the WRR thread
Heres some pics of mine. I'll do a RR when my buddy with the rest of the trip pics turns up to work.

1763 flawless clicks. An awesome little bike. Cant wait for the next trip
....but really, I do like the Husa's and KT's

Cheers Y'all!
What kind of bag is that on the tail of your bike?
Old 12-03-2011, 02:33 PM   #25894
duanew1
In my Pajama pants

Oddometer: 746
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post
I have stock tires. They are ready to change. I rode them mostly dirt the last 2200 miles. Why would I not order the same?
The stock tires don't really have alot going for them. They may be ok for less aggressive riders though. I suggest you look at the Michelin T63. You can good mileage from them and they should do better than the stock tires off road.
2008 SYM HD200
duanew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 02:57 PM   #25895
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Oddometer: 6,818
Daamud, Ed and Simmons: Thanks for the further replies. For now, I have my third set of Pirelli XCMH's on, and they are working well for the offroad riding I do. They should last till I actually need new tires in the spring.

Today, was a short ride day, where I went through everything my tires will be exposed to..some pavement, stream crossing, slick mud, soft sand, some sugar sand, and some dirt road. And that was all with in 20 miles. The Pirelli's perform well in all of them...but being a 90/10 tire, will get eaten up pretty well on any length of pavement riding.
DougZ73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 05:30 PM   #25896
bash3r
I ain't no DingWeed

Oddometer: 1,695
Black Friday Adventure

Thought I'd share a little a day trip I did last Friday.. it was a great ride filled with all the goodness of Missouri riding...

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=746473

ADV Gear | 3 Step Hideaway |Campground POIs
bash3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 05:35 PM   #25897
Dahveed
Sumo Biker!

Oddometer: 5,536
Hey, what's in that really big duffel on the back of the bike?

Quote:
Never mind, I think I figured it out.

Quote:
'13 R1200GS
'08 WR250R
Dahveed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 03:49 AM   #25898
makad
P/T Shed Dwelling Hermit

Oddometer: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Dodge View Post
What kind of bag is that on the tail of your bike?
Tatonka - a freebee. Filled with camping gear & clothes. But with room for a few Gnomes for next time
& theres a PICO Chair underneath it too. Highly rated.
Cheers
makad
makad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 05:25 AM   #25899
GSBS
FunHog

Oddometer: 3,887
Tires...

Quote:

I'm not a high performance rider anymore, and the stock tires seemed totally competent on both the tar and the gravel/dirt. I never got them in serious mud...

I'd like to try those 606 Dunlops or maybe the DOT trials tires, but seems like I have to change chains as well because those tires are so big in outside diameter. I'd need a longer chain to move the axle back far enough. ..A bit of negative returns.

Thanks
FWIW, my WR-R is almost two years old with 17K miles and since the stock tires I've run and kept mileage records on several tires, including the T63 (1 front and 2 rears), MT21 (1 front), D606 (2 fronts and 4 rears) and MT43 (1 rear - on my second one now).

For my riding (80% street and gravel/20% off-road) my favorite combination is the MT43 rear and D606 front. Until someone makes a better combo I'll be using these for the foreseeable future.

MT43 rear...

My previous mainstay rear tire was the D606, and the four I ran on the WR-R averaged getting about 2,500 miles each before I changed them. However, after 1,200-1,500 miles the D606s' dirt and mud handling fell off sharply. I'm now on my second MT43 rear. The first one went just under 2,900 miles and still felt as good on street, gravel or trails the last day it was on the bike as it did when it was new.

The tire's profile/outside diameter is significantly larger than the other tires listed above and will actually raise the bike about a 1/2 inch and as mentioned above requires that the rear axle be adjusted past the halfway point of the axle adjustment slots in the swing arm to clear the mudflap and front of the swing arm. Also, because of this larger outside diameter the tire has the practical effect of having slightly taller gearing, to me it seems between stock and dropping one tooth on the CS sprocket. It was noticeable for me, however.

With the MT43 you'll also need to run a rim lock because you run no more than 12-14 psi and can go well below 10 if needed. I've been running 12 psi all the time and that pressure works well for me in most situations. I could see airing down if caught in some snot-slick mud, but other than that 12 psi seems good.

The other tires above all had one issue or another for me. The T63s were very reasonably priced and handled most conditions okay, but nothing really well. The rear lasted about the same as the D606s and the front about twice that long.

The MT21 front was great when new, but cupped really badly after around 1,500 miles for me. The D606 front will also cup, but I've found that running no more than 17 psi delays it so I can get around 3K from a D606 front. These are good on the street wet or dry and bite well for a DOT knobby in loose off-road conditions.

My 2.
GSBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 05:33 AM   #25900
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,451
Quote:

Thanks
My riding buddy has a WR250R. I ride an XR400R with D606's. On pavement and easy roads the stock WR tires = or better than 606. He recently went to Shinkos as I have them on my KLR650...again for easy riding and easy dirt and gravel...VERY nice tire for WR and KLR where there is no sand or mud....which is what the XR will run into occasionally. Shinko and 606 seem to wear better than the stock trail wings....ans Shinko are very reasonably priced.
Ed@Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 06:15 AM   #25901
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 10,080
Thanks Duane, GSBS and Fred.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 08:20 AM   #25902
Sproat Sport
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Anyone got a stock exhaust heat shield sitting around gathering dust? pm me if yes. Thanks.
Sproat Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 11:43 AM   #25903
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Oddometer: 6,818
Found out today the little 250 can roll at 70 mph with two grown men on it, no problem. He broke his left wrist and could not ride his bike out of the woods. Me and another buddy had to relay his bike out of woods to pavement. Then, the buddy with broken wrist,got to ride bitch on the back of the WRR. We went back, got his truck, and then went back to pick up his bike. It was great riding until then.
DougZ73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 12:20 PM   #25904
skierd
Wannabe Far-Rider

Oddometer: 2,871
For me, the best replacement rear tire in terms of performance and longevity were the D606, followed by the Shinko 244, followed by the stock trailwings.

I found that the D606's work down to the nubs, at least where I ride, and even after badly cupping and vibrating the hell out of your hands going down the highway the front tire still works ok off road. I usually pushed 5000-6000 miles out of a rear, 3500-4000 from the front.

The Shinko's were great on hardpack and pavement and even cold wintry weather, but beyond horrid in sand or mud (not surprisingly). Also dirt cheap. Also long lasting, I got about 8000 from the front and 4500 from the rear.

The stock tires really aren't all that bad if you just hit forest roads and two track. I got about 4000 from the rear and 10,000 from the front. Jager uses them exclusively. I loved mine on dry gravely forest roads once I got the pressures right. Best part is you can usually get them for free or nearly free.

I didn't like the MT43 as much. At 8-10psi they're definitely velcro off road. But at 12psi they weren't as nice on road as the knobs. At 15psi they were stable but wore the center tread too quickly for my tastes. First one lasted me 3000 miles and had 1/16"-1/8" of tread left. Second one started chunking at the center knob at <500 miles. YMMV of course.
skierd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 12:35 PM   #25905
Dahveed
Sumo Biker!

Oddometer: 5,536
Quote:
Originally Posted by skierd View Post
For me, the best replacement rear tire in terms of performance and longevity were the D606, followed by the Shinko 244, followed by the stock trailwings.

I found that the D606's work down to the nubs, at least where I ride, and even after badly cupping and vibrating the hell out of your hands going down the highway the front tire still works ok off road. I usually pushed 5000-6000 miles out of a rear, 3500-4000 from the front.

The Shinko's were great on hardpack and pavement and even cold wintry weather, but beyond horrid in sand or mud (not surprisingly). Also dirt cheap. Also long lasting, I got about 8000 from the front and 4500 from the rear.

The stock tires really aren't all that bad if you just hit forest roads and two track. I got about 4000 from the rear and 10,000 from the front. Jager uses them exclusively. I loved mine on dry gravely forest roads once I got the pressures right. Best part is you can usually get them for free or nearly free.

I didn't like the MT43 as much. At 8-10psi they're definitely velcro off road. But at 12psi they weren't as nice on road as the knobs. At 15psi they were stable but wore the center tread too quickly for my tastes. First one lasted me 3000 miles and had 1/16"-1/8" of tread left. Second one started chunking at the center knob at <500 miles. YMMV of course.
I had that happen (chunking center knobs) on my KLR with the second Shinko 244. Might not be an issue on the WR since its so much lighter.
'13 R1200GS
'08 WR250R
Dahveed is offline   Reply With Quote