Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-08-2011, 06:12 PM   #25951
joenuclear
Planning.....

Oddometer: 6,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahveed View Post
Well played! Italian, Spanish, or California olives?
The best oil is used within 6 months of it's pressing. Timing is everything! 1st use oil from the Northern Hemisphere followed by oil from the Southern Hemisphere when the 1st gets near the end of it's 6 month life span.

[ many Chefs subscribe to this tactic too!]
Old 12-08-2011, 07:37 PM   #25952
Sproat Sport
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Dirt Bike Magazine's Assessment of the WR

December 2011 Issue...they call it their "2012 Buyer's Guide"

p. 78 (Dual-Sport Bikes section)

"A couple of years ago, Yamaha tried to make a big splash with the aluminum-frame, fuel-injected 250. It overshot the market with too much complexity and a high expense"

They don't explicitly say it's the WRR, but it seems implied....unless I'm mistaken. If they are in fact talking about the WR, seems like a load of crap to me. Too much complexity? Really. And it's funny that they would state that the XT 250 "makes up for it". Maybe they did this write-up thinking the WRR was being canned and wanted to look cool by spitting on its grave or something. Friggin' nerds.
Sproat Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 07:39 PM   #25953
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,739
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sproat Sport View Post

"A couple of years ago, Yamaha tried to make a big splash with the aluminum-frame, fuel-injected 250. It overshot the market with too much complexity and a high expense"

They don't explicitly say it's the WRR, but it seems implied....unless I'm mistaken. If they are in fact talking about the WR, seems like a load of crap to me. Too much complexity? Really. And it's funny that they would state that the XT 250 "makes up for it". Maybe they did this write-up thinking the WRR was being canned and wanted to look cool by spitting on its grave or something. Friggin' nerds.

Read that & was very puzzled? Overshot the market? Over 1700 pages here! Too much complexity? No choke, no petcock, valve adjustment over 20,000. High expense? Lower initial price than anything comparable. Show me another 2008 bike that still brings almost 2 thirds of its initial price on resale. The XT makes up for it? Come on Man!!

AZ TOM screwed with this post 12-09-2011 at 11:58 AM
AZ TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 07:43 PM   #25954
BMW-K
F800GS FTW!

Oddometer: 1,274
Quote:

26,000 ADV posts later...Yeah, "they" MUST be right.

IBA # 20880. STFU and Ride.
BMW-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 07:44 PM   #25955
HighFive
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,710
Quote:
Originally Posted by simmons1 View Post
How about traction on blacktop? A couple people down here that ride their GS's like sport bikes have wrecked and blamed the hardness of K60's as the cause Thanks!
Hhhhhmmmm......fair question, but let me think a moment on my comment regarding that passing scene.

Quote:
Originally Posted by what broke now View Post
"ride their GS's like sport bikes"

I wouldn't run DS tires on my Ducati and expect to get on very well, what are they thinking? There are so many factors that contribute to crashes! I would think it makes more sense to blame the rider.

We live in the age of the I-phone, but there is no app for knee dragging on a GS with DS tires!

Yup, what he said....but "squared"!

WBN....you should put that I-phone App quote in your Signature Line. Its one of the best I've ever read.

I've not had any noticeable problems that have demanded my attention, or even prodded it yet....on blacktop or concrete in dry or wet conditions, while loaded or unloaded. BUT, I've also not tried to drag my knee thru the twisties yet. I have run some good twisties which also had some loose gravel in some corners, but not had a problem. This is NOT implying its the greatest tire I've ever run. Just saying I'm pleasantly surprised by its good performance so far. I've not run it thru any deep sticky or slick mud yet. Only some light mud and deep water holes thru wet rocks.....no problems for me. Maybe its The Rider (LOL).

I did pass thru the Tail of the Dragon last August on my F800 with TKCs mounted. So, I've had some sport-bike kind of experience with it (at least mentally). The TKCs felt rock solid tacky. And yes, if I were running it on my K60, I'd air down a bit....into the mid 20's probably....for more flex and grip. However, I've never in my wildest idea thought about "pushing" the K60 on my F800 to the limits. I would reserve that action for a more street oriented tire...a Dragon Rain would be my choice.

Too many other factors at play, to blame a crash like that on the tires....weight & balance, cg, speed, centrifugal force, road conditions, traffic. I just couldn't rate it from my comfy armchair by the fire. If Rev'n Kevin (Schwantz) said it was the tire, I'd bank on it.

HF
Athena Big Bore Project
HighFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 08:48 PM   #25956
Reposado1800
Juicy J fan!

Oddometer: 5,751
Has E10 fuel rusted up you tank? Mine is rusty like a 30 year old bike.
No lie. I need an IMS tank bad. I hope that scale did not trash my new fuel pump. A serious WTF happened in my tank.
Old 12-08-2011, 10:32 PM   #25957
goroka
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayjars View Post
Has E10 fuel rusted up you tank? Mine is rusty like a 30 year old bike.
No lie. I need an IMS tank bad. I hope that scale did not trash my new fuel pump. A serious WTF happened in my tank.
A long time ago when Zimbabwe was still Rhodesia ethanol was introduced into the fuel as a blend - started as about 10% and increased considerably due to sanctions - ethonol was produced locally. I can remember that a lot of the older vehicles had issues at first with dirt in the fule lines. The theory was that the ethanol stired it all up.

Cheers
goroka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 02:45 AM   #25958
OSU
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by goroka View Post
A long time ago when Zimbabwe was still Rhodesia ethanol was introduced into the fuel as a blend - started as about 10% and increased considerably due to sanctions - ethonol was produced locally. I can remember that a lot of the older vehicles had issues at first with dirt in the fule lines. The theory was that the ethanol stired it all up.

Cheers
I know first hand that the ethanol will make the plastic tanks on Ducatis Swell I have gotten a new tank from Ducati because of this for warranty reasons.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=44.571750,-123.274953
Old 12-09-2011, 06:04 AM   #25959
Reposado1800
Juicy J fan!

Oddometer: 5,751
I am going to pull the tank off this weekend. I am more worried about the fuel pump as it is a new updated one.
Pics will follow.
Old 12-09-2011, 06:07 AM   #25960
bracky72
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 947
So my clutch cable snapped and I'm fixing to fit in a new one. The cable is routed pretty tight within the frame. Any suggestions on routing the new cable?

My plan is to cut the end of the old cable that connects to the tranny then tape the new cable to it. I'll then lube it with astoglide or something similar and try to slide it through. Bad idea?
bracky72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 06:22 AM   #25961
BBRadar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by bracky72 View Post
So my clutch cable snapped and I'm fixing to fit in a new one. The cable is routed pretty tight within the frame. Any suggestions on routing the new cable?

My plan is to cut the end of the old cable that connects to the tranny then tape the new cable to it. I'll then lube it with astoglide or something similar and try to slide it through. Bad idea?
I didn't have too much problem removing old and installing a new cable along same route. Remove tank to make it easier.
BBRadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 06:52 AM   #25962
Pantah
Patriot Nation?

Oddometer: 10,102
Quote:

Brilliant!
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 09:40 AM   #25963
Andrew
Optimus Primer

Oddometer: 15,191
Quote:

Astroglide goes on your dick, and in the hole, but not on clutch cables.
Old 12-09-2011, 10:12 AM   #25964
Sock Monkey OP
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 2,027
Quote:

Yet another reason why, after 20+ years, I've finally dropped my subscription to Dirt Bike. In their eyes, if it's not a MX bike or full-on competition enduro, it sucks.

-SM

Sock Monkey screwed with this post 12-09-2011 at 10:18 AM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 01:35 PM   #25965
makad
P/T Shed Dwelling Hermit

Oddometer: 277
WRR Ride Report

Gday WRR's
Here's my WRR RR
Unfortunately not a lot of "bike in action" pics but i hope the story makes up for it.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=747994
Hang loose Groovers!
makad is offline   Reply With Quote