Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-19-2011, 03:48 PM   #26101
GotMojo?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,102
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtrider5001 View Post
sounds like the bike would have a much smoother freeway ride if it had a 7th gear. One thing to add though, on the yamaha website the xt250 is said to reach its max power at around 7500 , where the wrr reaches its max power at 10000. But still it does seem like they could have done a better job with the gear spacing. Its weird cuz some people seem to think this bike is geared rather tall. But from what you say it seems this bike could have benifitted from a taller final gear. I would rather have the bike not be able to go past 80 due to tall final gearing than to have it be able to hit 90-100 (which is what i believe the wrr is capable of) if that makes any sense. I still believe a 250 can cruise on the freeway without sounding like its about to blow, I think it just takes more concentration when building such a transmission, and quarter mile/ times need to be sacrificed, which I wouldnt mind at all. Im still going to test this bike when i get the chance. thanks for the heads up
The WR250X is geared more for higher speed street riding... my X lumbers along nicely at 65 in 6th gear.... I definitely notice a difference when riding my R at the same speeds. Nothing that a gearing change can't fix though.
GotMojo? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 03:50 PM   #26102
bhd1223
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikef5000 View Post
I'm in the exact same position. I bought the bike anyway, hoping for the best on the freeway. I don't like the sound of it, as to me it is screaming like a banshee at 7k rpm. In any case, I was pretty happy with freeway performance until I learned my speedo is 10 mph off at those speeds. Which meant that when I thought I was fairly happily cruising at 70, I was actually down around 60. It's really screaming at an indicated 80, which is closer to a true 70 mph.

After a week with the bike (and several hundred miles), I've decided that while it is capable of an actual 70 mph (probably more), I don't much like the way it sounds/feels, and 60 is about as fast as I want to cruise on it for any duration.

Anyone used to screaming thumpers will probably think I'm crazy, but I'm used to cruising at 3k rpm on my road bikes, so I'm having a hard time grasping the idea that an engine can last any duration at all when you're frequently cruising at 8000 rpm.

And the previous owner of mine added a cheapy tach. It doesn't update frequently enough to be helpful while accelerating, but it is useful to know what rpm I'm cruising at. In 6th gear, it indicates about 6000 rpm and 60mph, 7000 rpm at 70, etc... but remember those speeds are indicated, and VERY far off, (10mph at 70).
I'm geared down a decent amount and sure, highway speeds do seem to have it reving a little. Maybe I'm just used to smaller bikes and sport bikes though. I see nothing ill about it. There are people who surely ride the bike harder than I do who are already over 30k on the thing. Small engines are designed to rev high. It's just how they make power. If you are running it at redline all the time then yes, that might be bad.

Running the WR anywhere below 9k should be safe. What is redline anyways, 11k? 12k? If you are stock geared there is no way you are over reving it at highway speeds in 6th. I actually thought stock gearing was running at way too low of an rpm in 6th at highway speeds with the way this motor delivers power.
Keeping the Vulcan for now. The ladies seem to love it.
bhd1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 03:55 PM   #26103
dirtrider5001
whatever

Oddometer: 50
ok, i have a question..

now that advice does sound a little more reasurring. But i was gonna ask. Is there any differences between the x engine and the r??? Or do they just have a different front or rear sprocket?? whats the difference?? Ive heard they are basicly the same motor. Whats basicly mean. is it the same or not??
dirtrider5001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 03:57 PM   #26104
bhd1223
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 293
Quote:
now that advice does sound a little more reasurring. But i was gonna ask. Is there any differences between the x engine and the r??? Or do they just have a different front or rear sprocket?? whats the difference?? Ive heard they are basicly the same motor. Whats basicly mean. is it the same or not??
Same motor, different sprockets and wheel sizes.
Keeping the Vulcan for now. The ladies seem to love it.
bhd1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 04:12 PM   #26105
Mikef5000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,030
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post
Before you trade your WR, take it on a really long trip....

Whoa whoa whoa! I tried to express my feelings about the thing clearly, but may have failed a bit. I'm not dissapointed AT ALL with the bike, and won't be trading it in anytime soon. I researched the hell out of these things for the month leading up to my purchase, and still feel the wrr is the best compromise for my wants. My problem with taking it on the freeway is (as stated by others) pretty much purely mental; I'm used to torque lumps of motors with 6500 redlines cruising at 3000 rpm. I completely understand that I'm not going to get that with a 250, and I'm not complaining.

Per the 7th gear, or taller 6th gear: In theory, that would be perfect, but in reality, we're dealing with a 250cc motor, and it simply isn't going to have the grunt to push a major overdrive gear. If it truly can cruise for tens of thousands of miles at 8k rpm like most 'in the know' state, than there is no need for taller gearing, and they did an excellent job from the factory with the tranny.

It all comes down to what you're accustomed to. If you're coming from a screaming dirtbike, this thing will feel fine cruising on the freeway. If you're coming from a Buell, you're head might explode. Others warned me to take a test ride before committing, as it'd be so drastically different. I opted out because.... well I like change, and new, if others say it's capable, I'll make due. Which I have, and I love the thing!

Also concerning what you're accustomed to... I've heard people complain about the weight of this bike. For me, coming from (fairly lightweight) Buells, this thing feels like a bicycle! It's amazing how well it handles it's weight!

And a final comment about how it handles the freeway.... I'm SHOCKED how stable it is at 70 mph, and vibrations are slim as well.
Mikef5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 04:48 PM   #26106
duanew1
In my Pajama pants

Oddometer: 746
Quote:
sounds like the bike would have a much smoother freeway ride if it had a 7th gear. One thing to add though, on the yamaha website the xt250 is said to reach its max power at around 7500 , where the wrr reaches its max power at 10000. But still it does seem like they could have done a better job with the gear spacing. Its weird cuz some people seem to think this bike is geared rather tall. But from what you say it seems this bike could have benifitted from a taller final gear. I would rather have the bike not be able to go past 80 due to tall final gearing than to have it be able to hit 90-100 (which is what i believe the wrr is capable of) if that makes any sense. I still believe a 250 can cruise on the freeway without sounding like its about to blow, I think it just takes more concentration when building such a transmission, and quarter mile/ times need to be sacrificed(unless they simply just add a 7th gear,. Im still going to test this bike when i get the chance. thanks for the heads up
Here is the deal. This engine does not have loads of low end torque and loves to rev. The way they gear it from the factory it will actually go faster in 5th gear verses 6th. A 7th gear would be even worse. Alot of people gear it down to make 6th be more like 5th to use more of the gear ratios effectively. I run 13/47 gearing which I love because it does great in the woods and will do the highway fine, but it won't do much past 80mph. I believe that I am falling off the torque curve at that speed. Yes it is revving alot on the highway but it is one of the smoothest bikes I have ridden at that speed.
2008 SYM HD200
duanew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 04:53 PM   #26107
Dahveed
Sumo Biker!

Oddometer: 5,546
Quote:
Originally Posted by duanew1 View Post
Here is the deal. This engine does not have loads of low end torque and loves to rev. The way they gear it from the factory it will actually go faster in 5th gear verses 6th. A 7th gear would be even worse. Alot of people gear it down to make 6th be more like 5th to use more of the gear ratios effectively. I run 13/47 gearing which I love because it does great in the woods and will do the highway fine, but it won't do much past 80mph. I believe that I am falling off the torque curve at that speed. Yes it is revving alot on the highway but it is one of the smoothest bikes I have ridden at that speed.
For more low end and mid range power, I've heard big-bore kit increases significantly.
'13 R1200GS
'08 WR250R
Dahveed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 05:03 PM   #26108
Shawnee Bill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,895
I sometimes step off a Goldwing and onto the WRR, huge difference in engines! However keep in mind the reason for a dual sport, I need the ability to run miles down a highway to get to where I want to jump off into the woods, desert, mountains. Goldwing can't do that, the WR can. I traded a Honda CRF250X for the WR, good trade for me because even though the CRF is a better dirt bike it is terrible after a couple of miles on pavement. The WR is a good dirt bike, not a race bike for sure but good. I have ridden some fairly tough single track over 10,000 ft in Colorado, the WR did better than I did.

I've ridden the WR 100 highway miles nonstop at over 60, I use a GPS for speedometer, the farther I ride the more I find my speed creeping up, you quickly get used to the engine revs. Which brings up the WR's biggest short coming, after 100 miles at 65+ it is out of gas.

Interestingly I find myself doing just the opposite on the wing, I start out cruising over 70 and then relaxing my speed drops off.
GL1800
FZ-1 For sale
Shawnee Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 06:09 PM   #26109
TwilightZone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,781
Cross posed from over on WRR... see if anyone else has this.

Original

>"Theres a positive line in throttle opening where it starts at any given rev or speed. When I can just start to feel them, I can let off a hair and it goes away, give a lil more and it comes back. Hard to describe. The normal vibes coming through are steady and scale with the revs. The bad vibes feel more like when you drag furniture across a floor. "

Response

Very interesting. I'm running into the same thing... when throttle is lightly advanced, the engine runs rough... back the trottle off and the engine smooths out. If you hammer the throttle then the bike really jumps (nice).

I have a fuel programmer, mounted it on the gas tank, and can't seem to eliminate the rough spots. The roughness shows up when the programmer goes 'yellow' (fuel advanced), I've managed to reduce the 'run flat' dropouts by dropping the 'yellow fuel' level, and raising the yellow 'enterance' rpm to the cutoff point, also lowered the red area enterance point down. But it's still not perfect, which is a bit of a nuisance. The bike should pull perfectly smooth.

Note: Have added/remove the usual stage 1 stuff... (airbox, FMF Q4, other stuff removed), but I'm pretty sure the mid-throttle performance was the same when the bike was stock.

Does anyone else have this? Widespread or ???
TwilightZone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 06:25 PM   #26110
dirtrider5001
whatever

smaller, lighter, faster

i just noticed mikef has the wrr, as someone stated the x is geared a bit taller. Yamaha does clearly state the r is for people who spend more time on the dirt. The other thing i noticed about this bike is the immense amount of weight it has. If i had lots and lots of money i would buy one of these bikes. Take the motor out of it and stick it in a yz80 frame/or possibly try and make it fit in a kx60 frame. There goes your weight issues, then i would gear very tall for freeway and i can set it to run probably 3500 rpm on freeway and still be faster than a stock bike. Sure it wont be able to do doubles or triples anymore as easily, but not everyone needs to do that now do we. Now no-one steal my idea... one day ill have the money... or by that time used wrx's will be going for 800 bucks lol
Old 12-19-2011, 06:32 PM   #26111
Dahveed
Sumo Biker!

Oddometer: 5,546
Quote:
The other thing i noticed about this bike is the immense amount of weight it has.
I guess its a matter of perspective. I'm coming from a R 1150GSA. The WRR is about 1/2 the weight of that bike. I'm always amazed at how easy it is to move about the garage compared to the GSA.
'13 R1200GS
'08 WR250R
Dahveed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 06:35 PM   #26112
dirtrider5001
whatever

ur right about that

i know that thing is very light compared to alot of other bikes, my 1300 is a kinda a bear to just move a cuple feet, the one thing thats nice about that is its alot harder to steal!! It would be nice to know how much the frame itself or the just the motor itself weigh on that 250x
Old 12-19-2011, 07:22 PM   #26113
joenuclear
Planning.....

Oddometer: 6,135
Quote:
i know that thing is very light compared to alot of other bikes, my 1300 is a kinda a bear to just move a cuple feet, the one thing thats nice about that is its alot harder to steal!! It would be nice to know how much the frame itself or the just the motor itself weigh on that 250x
Dood! Miss the 70's? You do know that it was Bullshit when they said the drugs and booze only killed the weak brain cells don't ya?
Old 12-19-2011, 07:35 PM   #26114
dirtrider5001
whatever

yea i know

i know, i quite the dope, but ill probably still piss dirty, and with booze u lose so whats the point..
Old 12-19-2011, 07:35 PM   #26115
Mikef5000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,030
Quote:
i just noticed mikef has the wrr, as someone stated the x is geared a bit taller. Yamaha does clearly state the r is for people who spend more time on the dirt. The other thing i noticed about this bike is the immense amount of weight it has. If i had lots and lots of money i would buy one of these bikes. Take the motor out of it and stick it in a yz80 frame/or possibly try and make it fit in a kx60 frame. There goes your weight issues, then i would gear very tall for freeway and i can set it to run probably 3500 rpm on freeway and still be faster than a stock bike. Sure it wont be able to do doubles or triples anymore as easily, but not everyone needs to do that now do we. Now no-one steal my idea... one day ill have the money... or by that time used wrx's will be going for 800 bucks lol
Have you ridden one yet? They do not feel heavy at all! Not sure what you could possibly be used to for this bike to feel like a pig. And the motor would explode from lugging if it ran 3500 rpm on the freeway.
Mikef5000 is offline   Reply With Quote