Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2012, 10:16 AM   #26551
bhd1223
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by skierd View Post
X guys with knobs...

Suggestions for a front and rear set that are more aggressive than the Shinko 244's? Hoping to do a few dual sports and maybe some travel this summer again, but really really really enjoy the big brake and fast handling of the 17's so I don't want to convert back to an R setup (and no, getting a $econd $et of wheels is not an option).
No experience with an X and knobs but I think I remember someone saying at one point Pirelli sells some 17's that are more aggressive than the Shinkos.
Keeping the Vulcan for now. The ladies seem to love it.
bhd1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 12:55 PM   #26552
roarin calhoun
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 384
Howdy. I'm new to this thread. I had a BMW GS12.Now have a Yamaha Tenere my wife & I use to patrol back dirt roads in western USA mountains & deserts. Wife had a hip rplacement & can't ride this year. I'm looking at the WR250 for multiday, back country solo rides.I figure I can pick it up a whole lot easier by myself than the Tenere(which is easier to pick up than the GS was). You folks who do multiday backcountry stuff on the 250, it work ok? Carry enough stuff to be comfortable camping? Gas? Big Dog at his Big Dog Adventure site LOVES this 250---pretty high praise.What do you folks think? Thanks tonnes.
roarin calhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 01:04 PM   #26553
bash3r
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,682
Quote:
Originally Posted by roarin calhoun View Post
Howdy. I'm new to this thread. I had a BMW GS12.Now have a Yamaha Tenere my wife & I use to patrol back dirt roads in western USA mountains & deserts. Wife had a hip rplacement & can't ride this year. I'm looking at the WR250 for multiday, back country solo rides.I figure I can pick it up a whole lot easier by myself than the Tenere(which is easier to pick up than the GS was). You folks who do multiday backcountry stuff on the 250, it work ok? Carry enough stuff to be comfortable camping? Gas? Big Dog at his Big Dog Adventure site LOVES this 250---pretty high praise.What do you folks think? Thanks tonnes.
It sounds like the WR250R is the perfect fit for you!! It's a great adventure bike.. as you've seen BigDog/Dingweeds' mega adventure trips.. as well as many others here on the thread..

as for me.. I really dig mine!

My ADV Website
| ADV Legends |Campground POIs
bash3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 01:34 PM   #26554
jefmad
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 627
Quote:
X guys with knobs...

Suggestions for a front and rear set that are more aggressive than the Shinko 244's? Hoping to do a few dual sports and maybe some travel this summer again, but really really really enjoy the big brake and fast handling of the 17's so I don't want to convert back to an R setup (and no, getting a $econd $et of wheels is not an option).
MT-21's are the only tire I am aware of that is more of a full knobby than the Shinko's for 17" wheels. Another option is just a new 21" front wheel from Warp 9 (about $370 shipped) and that opens up a whole lot more options. You can get the warp 9 wheel with the X brake so it is a direct swap.
jefmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 01:40 PM   #26555
Lee Dodge
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 252
Quote:
X guys with knobs...

Pirelli Rallycross MT21. I'm using a 120 on the front and a 130 on the back.

Old 01-16-2012, 01:52 PM   #26556
10Cup
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,499
Bash3r, that is an awesome picture!
10Cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 02:19 PM   #26557
roarin calhoun
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by bash3r View Post
It sounds like the WR250R is the perfect fit for you!! It's a great adventure bike.. as you've seen BigDog/Dingweeds' mega adventure trips.. as well as many others here on the thread..

as for me.. I really dig mine!

hay bashr3r, neat pict. Bike looks great. I have a 11 yr old DR400 I geared way down.It's a bit heavy but works ok on mountain trails(single track) where I live as long as the knobbies are in great shape. I'm thinking the WR250 would be even better on single track ,nasty steeps but wonder about it's stock gearing for nasty trails? Big Dog says it's just GREAT for adenture riding back roads & stuff like that. It do both trails & dual sport well with stock gearing? I'm looking at it for dual sport backcountry touring mostly.Thanks again.
roarin calhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 03:22 PM   #26558
Mikef5000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,030
Quote:
X guys with knobs...

Continental is just now introducing the TKC-80's in the 120/17 front size. It should be available within the next month I believe. The 130/17 rear is a standard and readily available.
Mikef5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 03:51 PM   #26559
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,216
Quote:
X guys with knobs...

120-70-17" tck-80s will be avail real soon.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 04:58 PM   #26560
scottmac
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,488
Quote:
Originally Posted by greer View Post
My husband and I and a couple of buddies are planning to ride to Alaska this summer, all four of us on DR650's. So, I'm selling the WR and setting up an '08 DR. If you all know of anybody interested in a clean bike with a recent rebuild and 18 month warranty, please send them my way. I'll get an ad together and post back with a link. Thanks!

Sarah

Edit: link to Fleamarket:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=756786
Seems to me you already have the perfect bike for the trip. Maybe they should sell their DR650's and
get WR's????
scottmac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 05:40 PM   #26561
Reposado1800
Juicy J fan!

Oddometer: 5,737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikef5000 View Post
Continental is just now introducing the TKC-80's in the 120/17 front size. It should be available within the next month I believe. The 130/17 rear is a standard and readily available.
It is about time. The market has been calling for it for 4 years now. Maybe they thought the sport bike squids would go offroad on their gsxr600's with a knobbie available.
Old 01-16-2012, 05:53 PM   #26562
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayjars View Post
It is about time. The market has been calling for it for 4 years now. Maybe they thought the sport bike squids would go offroad on their gsxr600's with a knobbie available.
there is a growing list of adv style bikes w/ 17" front wheel plus all the motard bikes. they all us 120-70-17"
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 06:38 PM   #26563
Gundy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 779
Can't remember where I read this, but I do recall that people have not been as happy with TKCs on lighter bikes for off-road use. A heavier bike pushes the tread pattern into the ground a little better or something of that nature. The MT-21s have a great reputation for off-road, not sure what their longevity is like. I know KLR riders haven't been too pleased with the longevity, but that may not be an issue on the lighter 250.

Also, according to the cheesy video on Shinko's website, the Shinko 700 is more aggressive than the 244, and comes in sizes that work for the X

Gundy screwed with this post 01-16-2012 at 06:49 PM
Gundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 07:44 PM   #26564
Llamaha
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 684
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gundy View Post
Can't remember where I read this, but I do recall that people have not been as happy with TKCs on lighter bikes for off-road use. A heavier bike pushes the tread pattern into the ground a little better or something of that nature. The MT-21s have a great reputation for off-road, not sure what their longevity is like. I know KLR riders haven't been too pleased with the longevity, but that may not be an issue on the lighter 250.

Also, according to the cheesy video on Shinko's website, the Shinko 700 is more aggressive than the 244, and comes in sizes that work for the X
I'm on my 5th pair of MT21's, they last like 5000km though I've seen a guy do 10,000, it blew out on him a couple of hours from the town where he was going to replace them hehe
Llamaha is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 09:20 PM   #26565
dadthemechanic
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
How to deal with highway speed wind and noise

Hi all, I took mine out on the freeway for the first time and was pretty surprised by the wind on my head and torso. How do y'all deal with that? I was wearing a Bell Moto 8 helmet with goggles. Is this something that you just get used to over time or do you kind of tuck in? I was thinking that if I sit way back on the seat maybe the little wind screen over the headlight might be more effective. Also, does a good DS helmet help substantially? Or would I be throwing away money when I already have an excellent helmet in the Bell Moto 8? I've seen that some people have added a short windshield to the top of the headlight and I'm sure that would help some, but it does not appear to be a very common mod. It seems that most run without an added windshield.

So what are y'all doing?

Before you insult a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, when you insult him, you'll be a mile away, and have his shoes.
dadthemechanic is offline   Reply With Quote