Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2012, 05:43 PM   #26641
Daamud
AAAAAYYY!

Oddometer: 2,109
Quote:
Originally Posted by KansasBob View Post

I'm thinking about making some "wing bolts", drilling holes in the wings and using some safety wire between the bolts to keep them from backing out.
Thinking of this too. Maybe cut a washer in half and weld it to the bolts. Metric wing bolts would be tuff to find around here.
Old 01-23-2012, 06:33 PM   #26642
OLEARY
Enlightened Voyager

Oddometer: 2,309
Quote:
Well that answers my question about using blue Loc-tite on the seat bolts................. No Loc-tite.

I'm thinking about making some "wing bolts", drilling holes in the wings and using some safety wire between the bolts to keep them from backing out.
I used Blue Loc-Tite on mine. No problem. That is a good idea on the safety wire. Kind of defeats the purpose of wing nuts tho, easy in-easy out, like on the trail. Tried the wing nut approach and lost them first time out. I guess you have to tighten them tighter than hand tight.
Colorado/Moab 2012
Occasionally the tree of Liberty must be watered with the blood of Patriots and Tyrants.
OLEARY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 07:32 PM   #26643
dadthemechanic
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
AFX DS-39 Recommendation

Just wanted to put a thanks out there and a big thumbs up on the helmet recommendation. The UPS man delivered mine today. A quick trip up and down the freeway immediately followed. The difference is truly astonishing! My Bell Moto 8 is definitely NOT for the freeway. The AFX was much, much quieter (I could actually hear my engine) and the wind effect on the visor was minimal.

Thanks to all who chimed in.

Before you insult a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, when you insult him, you'll be a mile away, and have his shoes.
dadthemechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 08:35 PM   #26644
arkridergc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 295
Street tires on R wheels

Ok so I give up and maybe I was dreaming this but, I could of sworn I saw a picture in this thread of an "R" with some street treads on it similar to the supermoto tires. I've just spent the last 3 hours scrolling thru page after page and I can't find the picture. I'm actually looking for the make of tire but I cannot seem to find the right seach phrase to get there. Anybody else seen this picture and if so could ya' hep a brother out.
Thanks in advance,
Gary
Two Brothers on Two50's ride Colorado
'09 Yamaha WR250r, '08 Harley Davidson Road Glide
arkridergc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 09:36 PM   #26645
OSU
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkridergc View Post
Ok so I give up and maybe I was dreaming this but, I could of sworn I saw a picture in this thread of an "R" with some street treads on it similar to the supermoto tires. I've just spent the last 3 hours scrolling thru page after page and I can't find the picture. I'm actually looking for the make of tire but I cannot seem to find the right seach phrase to get there. Anybody else seen this picture and if so could ya' hep a brother out.
Thanks in advance,
Gary
http://www.pirelli.com/tire/us/en/mo...d#.Tx5DAG_y_w0
these are close to supermoto slicks
Old 01-23-2012, 10:37 PM   #26646
OLEARY
Enlightened Voyager

Oddometer: 2,309
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadthemechanic View Post
Just wanted to put a thanks out there and a big thumbs up on the helmet recommendation. The UPS man delivered mine today. A quick trip up and down the freeway immediately followed. The difference is truly astonishing! My Bell Moto 8 is definitely NOT for the freeway. The AFX was much, much quieter (I could actually hear my engine) and the wind effect on the visor was minimal.

Thanks to all who chimed in.
DITTO! Fed Ex just delivered an AFX-39 to my doorstep as well today. I haven't had a chance to try it out yet but fits great! I think I am going to like it. Thanks for your recommendation from me as well.
Colorado/Moab 2012
Occasionally the tree of Liberty must be watered with the blood of Patriots and Tyrants.
OLEARY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 04:48 AM   #26647
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 10,421
Quote:
Alansz400, on this board, made several sets by welding a wing nut over a metric bolt. I'm using them (he is too) on the seat, and side panels.

My Smugmug Galleries
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 06:38 AM   #26648
Rapid Dog
bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer: 9,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by arkridergc View Post
Ok so I give...
Don't know the pic but I'd suggest the Conti Trail Attack. It's a n 80% street tire that's primo on the street. Used on GS bikes.

Rapid Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 07:25 AM   #26649
Rapid Dog
bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer: 9,000
Question factory defaults

Quote:
Originally Posted by rydnseek View Post
...I've got the fmf controller, & have just used the factory defaults...
Do you or anyone here know what the base settings (factory defaults) are from the factory?

Rapid Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 08:56 AM   #26650
TwilightZone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,692
FMF Defaults.

<"Well I got my new tires on the bike yesterday and drove around for about and hour and had a blast. With the bike set with the settings FMF gave me (3/4/.5/8/4/4.5) I didn't have a problem with stalling at all:) "
Old 01-24-2012, 11:46 AM   #26651
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid Dog View Post
Do you or anyone here know what the base settings (factory defaults) are from the factory?
Wrote these down long ago? 1.5,5,6,2,2,3?
AZ TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 11:50 AM   #26652
RichardU
Let's Ride

Oddometer: 890
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid Dog View Post
This is what I have: Stock FMS Settings are: 3 / 4 / 1 / 8 / 4 / 4.5
RichardU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 02:38 PM   #26653
Mikef5000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,030
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sair Fecht View Post
Thought I'd post up a picture of the Zeta top clamp handguard mounts...
I'd like to revisit this if possible... I HATE my bar clamp mounted hand guards. Every fall just rotates them up 2-4 inches, marring the bars where the clamps are, and tweaking all the hardware. The hardware no longer tightens well because it's been tweaked enough.

I'm ready to buy these top clamp mounts, to eliminate the rotation, but I'm a bit worried that rotating stress is now put onto the top clamps. Anyone reported issues with these after the constant stress for dropping the bike on them?

I could just try to stop dropping my bike, but I don't see that happening anytime soon.
Mikef5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 02:48 PM   #26654
bash3r
I ain't no DingWeed

Oddometer: 1,696
Quote:
Originally Posted by OLEARY View Post
DITTO! Fed Ex just delivered an AFX-39 to my doorstep as well today. I haven't had a chance to try it out yet but fits great! I think I am going to like it. Thanks for your recommendation from me as well.
hows the fitting for that helmet.. I've read they run a bit large.. what's your take OLeary?

I have a Shoei DS Hornet, which I really like, great helmet and got it for $250 from an inmate. But it now needs a new pad set & shield, so I could pick up a new helmet for the price of those replacement parts. My Shoei is probably due for retirement anyways....

ADV Gear | 3 Step Hideaway |Campground POIs
bash3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 02:52 PM   #26655
ironbrewer
Hopefully Riding

Oddometer: 4,008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikef5000 View Post
I'd like to revisit this if possible... I HATE my bar clamp mounted hand guards. Every fall just rotates them up 2-4 inches, marring the bars where the clamps are, and tweaking all the hardware. The hardware no longer tightens well because it's been tweaked enough.

I'm ready to buy these top clamp mounts, to eliminate the rotation, but I'm a bit worried that rotating stress is now put onto the top clamps. Anyone reported issues with these after the constant stress for dropping the bike on them?

I could just try to stop dropping my bike, but I don't see that happening anytime soon.
If I were you I would try out the highway dirt bike bar guards. You can get them with blinkers, and mirrors that actually work, plus they are the strongest most well thought out handguards on the market. Plus the owner and maker of them is an inmate here.

Here is a link.

Pat Paulsen
ironbrewer is offline   Reply With Quote