ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-28-2012, 07:16 AM   #26701
10Cup
Beastly Adventurer
 
10Cup's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: NW Arkansas
Oddometer: 2,513
Quote:
Originally Posted by rydnseek View Post
azTom on a ride today... pic says it all.

Careful there AZ, as one Senior Citizen to another, live to ride another day! Great picture though. Looks like how I felt and looked trying to get up Tin Cup pass from the North Side......didn't make it.
__________________
10Cup - WR250R - BMW R1200GS
Trails of the West 2011 Moab/Western TAT 2010 Continental Divide Ride 09 Route 66 Ride SPOT Tracker
The cost of living's going up, and the chance of livin's going down.
10Cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 07:19 AM   #26702
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Prescott AZ
Oddometer: 3,520
Quote:
Originally Posted by rydnseek View Post
azTom on a ride today... pic says it all.

Airlift out anyone?? Iv'e had worse days but at the moment none come to mind My caption for this pic. would be I think shuffle board would be soo much easier!!

AZ TOM screwed with this post 01-28-2012 at 12:30 PM
AZ TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 07:34 AM   #26703
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Prescott AZ
Oddometer: 3,520
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Cup View Post
Careful there AZ, as one Senior Citizen to another, live to ride another day! Great picture though. Looks like how I felt and looked trying to get up Tin Cup pass from the North Side......didn't make it.
Not to worry, my crew including 80 year old Taylor on an ATV came to my rescue Got the bike out of it's troubled spot & we comtinued on

AZ TOM screwed with this post 01-28-2012 at 08:06 AM
AZ TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 08:03 AM   #26704
flatboarder
Gnarly Adventurer
 
flatboarder's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Austria/Europe
Oddometer: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ TOM View Post
Not to worry, my crew including 80 year old Taylor on an ATV came to my rescue Got the bike out of it's troubled spot & we comtinues on
Pic of the year. Thanks. Great.
Phil
flatboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 08:56 AM   #26705
Shawnee Bill
Beastly Adventurer
 
Shawnee Bill's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: Oklahoma
Oddometer: 1,878
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ TOM View Post
Not to worry, my crew including 80 year old Taylor on an ATV came to my rescue Got the bike out of it's troubled spot & we comtinued on
Did you crash there or was it just time for a break?

Looks like about how I felt riding some gnarlly single track above Taylor Park last September. Several times.
The little WRR just kept on chugging up and over , never missed a beat, it just had to stop and wait for me every 1/4 mile while I sat on a rock and regrouped.

My crew, one riding buddy several years younger than me, just sat there and looked at me until I could get up again. Of course I think he was glad for the rest stops


.
__________________
1200 GSAW
FE 390
KLR 650 (not new)
GL1800
FZ-1 For sale
Shawnee Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 10:28 AM   #26706
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Prescott AZ
Oddometer: 3,520
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnee Bill View Post
Did you crash there or was it just time for a break?

Looks like about how I felt riding some gnarlly single track above Taylor Park last September. Several times.
The little WRR just kept on chugging up and over , never missed a beat, it just had to stop and wait for me every 1/4 mile while I sat on a rock and regrouped.

My crew, one riding buddy several years younger than me, just sat there and looked at me until I could get up again. Of course I think he was glad for the rest stops


.
The only thing that crashed was my energy level
AZ TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 11:01 AM   #26707
thornstein
Adventurer wannabe
 
thornstein's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Pekin, IL
Oddometer: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnee Bill View Post
Did you crash there or was it just time for a break?

Looks like about how I felt riding some gnarlly single track above Taylor Park last September. Several times.
The little WRR just kept on chugging up and over , never missed a beat, it just had to stop and wait for me every 1/4 mile while I sat on a rock and regrouped.

My crew, one riding buddy several years younger than me, just sat there and looked at me until I could get up again. Of course I think he was glad for the rest stops


.
I must have been on that same track in October. At a couple points I was looking for a place to video a goodbye message to the family in hopes they would find the memory card when they found my body. Luckily there was a way out going forward cause there was no way in hell that I would have made it out by backtracking. It improved my skills but they are still nothing compared to my riding buddies.
thornstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 11:51 AM   #26708
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Prescott AZ
Oddometer: 3,520
Quote:
Originally Posted by thornstein View Post
I must have been on that same track in October. At a couple points I was looking for a place to video a goodbye message to the family in hopes they would find the memory card when they found my body. Luckily there was a way out going forward cause there was no way in hell that I would have made it out by backtracking. It improved my skills but they are still nothing compared to my riding buddies.
For us, at least for me backtracking was not an option
AZ TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 12:00 PM   #26709
Dahveed
Sumo Biker!
 
Dahveed's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: North Texas
Oddometer: 5,506
Quote:
Originally Posted by thornstein View Post
I must have been on that same track in October. At a couple points I was looking for a place to video a goodbye message to the family in hopes they would find the memory card when they found my body.


Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ TOM View Post
For us, at least for me backtracking was not an option
How about helicopter? Probably couldn't land there anyway.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by summerinmaine
When you get too old to serve as a bad example, you can always give bad advice.
'13 R1200GS
'08 WR250R
Dahveed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 02:16 PM   #26710
res0zvle
Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2008
Oddometer: 21
Great idea. Can you attach a spare cig plug to an existing trickle charger or do you have to be concerned about the voltage/amp differences. I have a trickle charger that I plug straight to the batter.



Quote:
Originally Posted by ramz View Post
Very nice electrical setup.

You can, of course, trickle charge through the always-on Cig#1 or Cig#2 with a suitable adapter (trickle charger SAE to Cig) ...
res0zvle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 02:26 PM   #26711
Mikef5000
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Columbus, OH
Oddometer: 2,030
Quote:
Originally Posted by res0zvle View Post
Great idea. Can you attach a spare cig plug to an existing trickle charger or do you have to be concerned about the voltage/amp differences. I have a trickle charger that I plug straight to the batter.
A simple trickle charge won't cause any issues; don't connect a high-powered battery charger to anything but the battery itself though.
__________________
2008 990 Adventure
2008 WR250R
www.Mikef5000.com
Mikef5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 02:31 PM   #26712
res0zvle
Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2008
Oddometer: 21
Great, thanks - now I wont have to take off my seat to charge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikef5000 View Post
A simple trickle charge won't cause any issues; don't connect a high-powered battery charger to anything but the battery itself though.
res0zvle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 02:35 PM   #26713
Mikef5000
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Columbus, OH
Oddometer: 2,030
Anyone have an opinion on aftermarket steel handlebars? Outlaw Racing has some "Ultra High Strength Steel" bars. Think they're truly any stronger than any other steel bars, or just fancy marketing? I'd like to stick with steel so my heated grip cartridges still work, but I don't want them to bend again.
__________________
2008 990 Adventure
2008 WR250R
www.Mikef5000.com
Mikef5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 03:09 PM   #26714
thumpididump
MacGyver
 
thumpididump's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Germany
Oddometer: 2,404
Waiting for winter to end, so I spent a couple of hours cleaning the spokes for my 17" wheels and mounting new OEM brake rotors (the original rotors were transferred to the SM Pro dirt rims). Also swapped out the OEM 42T sprocket for a steel SuperSprox 48T. With so much time to kill, I even went the extra step of getting fancy stainless steel button head Allen bolts and used a small dab of blue Loctite.


Now if spring would just hurry up....






__________________
"You can't put the shit back in the donkey." --Tony Soprano

FY-YFF
2014 KTM 690 Enduro R
thumpididump is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 05:19 PM   #26715
rydnseek
Beastly Adventurer
 
rydnseek's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Oddometer: 5,888
Quote:
Originally Posted by rydnseek View Post
azTom on a ride today... pic says it all.

In all fairness, Tom was/is recovering from a shoulder operation. He had on a cool weather jacket for his ride over from prescott, so he was also overheated. It was after 2pm by now, & well past our lunch time. We were supposed to be on an 'easy' ride with some new friends.. we won't be seeing them again. Even Kim rode his quad.. this trail was pretty tough. The rocks were big & never let up. The hills were steep & kept going.

Fortunately, after this, the trail leveled out & we had only one long, rocky downhill section, with a couple of more water crossings. Then he had another 50 miles or so to get back to prescott.
rydnseek is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 02:32 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014