Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2012, 12:12 PM   #27361
Crawdaddy
Navigate 2 Adventure

Oddometer: 2,198
Went for a ride near my place in AZ. this past weekend. Ride Report/Photos: http://www.dualsportmoto.com/boards/viewtopic.php?p=3186

http://www.WhereAmIRiding.com
Crawdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 05:21 PM   #27362
Daamud
AAAAAYYY!

Oddometer: 2,109
[QUOTE=wtiger;18155751 i have been checking my chain tension by compressing the rear shock and tying it off with a ratchet strap, and making sure that the chain does not become taught. i don't want a busted chain or worse out in the middle of nowhere.
.[/QUOTE]

^ This.

All the talk of how far and where, this is what needs to be done. More so, disconnect the shock and cycle the suspension, find the point where the chain gets tightest, it may be at 3/4 stroke ....All depends on where the output shaft is compared the swingarm pivot..... Then take note where it's at when back together....Sprocket size would probly change the spec also.

Think I know what I'm doing this weekend.
Old 03-07-2012, 07:25 PM   #27363
scottmac
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,497
Machtig's WRR ate up a couple of swingarm guards in short order on his western TAT ride
last summer. He thought the culprit was a tight link and cured it by replacing his chain if I
remember right.
scottmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 12:17 PM   #27364
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///

Oddometer: 43,459
WR Rider needs help in YUMA, AZ!~

Fellow inmate Dysco is in Yuma; was headed into Baja, and his WR250r just quit. He's with Codys and they got the bike to a Yamaha dealer in Yuma, but the dealer is basically not giving them the time of day; they are in the parking lot trying to trouble shoot, but not having much luck.

Do any locals know of an independent shop/mechanic that could help them out?

His symptoms as I understand it:

Riding down the highway to the border; bike started losing power, and the engine light came on. (I think).

Pulled to the side and let it sit for a few minute. It would then start and run, but not idle. then it wouldn't start at all.

He pulled the airbox cover; there's oil in the airbox. He says he "may" have overfilled it. He wrung out the air filter, but still no go.

I suggested pulling the plug, that it might be fouled; in the parking lot of the shop, he did so, and replaced the plug. He said it runs but won't idle still.

Any ideas? Any locals there?

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 12:24 PM   #27365
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Oddometer: 6,786
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayduke View Post
Fellow inmate Dysco is in Yuma; was headed into Baja, and his WR250r just quit. He's with Codys and they got the bike to a Yamaha dealer in Yuma, but the dealer is basically not giving them the time of day; they are in the parking lot trying to trouble shoot, but not having much luck.

Do any locals know of an independent shop/mechanic that could help them out?

His symptoms as I understand it:

Riding down the highway to the border; bike started losing power, and the engine light came on. (I think).

Pulled to the side and let it sit for a few minute. It would then start and run, but not idle. then it wouldn't start at all.

He pulled the airbox cover; there's oil in the airbox. He says he "may" have overfilled it. He wrung out the air filter, but still no go.

I suggested pulling the plug, that it might be fouled; in the parking lot of the shop, he did so, and replaced the plug. He said it runs but won't idle still.

Any ideas? Any locals there?
Over filled/lubricated air filter will not stop bike..been there, done that.

Is his bike an 08?

Does he hear the fuel pump buzzing when he turns the key on??

Sounds fuel pump related to me.
DougZ73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 12:33 PM   #27366
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///

Oddometer: 43,459
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougZ73 View Post
Over filled/lubricated air filter will not stop bike..been there, done that.

Is his bike an 08?

Does he hear the fuel pump buzzing when he turns the key on??

Sounds fuel pump related to me.
He said he was able to bump start it after changing the plug, but it won't idle. Do you think the fuel pump would present that way?

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 12:49 PM   #27367
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,427
Quote:
He said he was able to bump start it after changing the plug, but it won't idle. Do you think the fuel pump would present that way?
Correct...the first thing is to see if with key on you hear the fuel pump come on for about 1 sec then shut off. The sound is obvious.

BUT....if that Yamaha is like most cars, if the throttle potentiometer goes bad, they won't idle at all, or idle poorly. BUT BUT...I'm guessing the ECU should give you a fault code for a bad throttle pot

Finally, if you look at the '08 serial numbers for USWR250R & X, ALL of them can experience the fuel pump failure!
Ed@Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 01:00 PM   #27368
indypup
╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Oddometer: 3,258
My ride into work this morning.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist hangs his head out the window! Be real, be whole, be innovative.
indypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 01:02 PM   #27369
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Quote:
If the fuel pump can't maintain pressure to the injector, it would present exactly like that.
Old 03-08-2012, 01:04 PM   #27370
Dysco
caddis muncher

Oddometer: 15,848
The fuel pump is charging on startup, but it won't idle at all. My WRr is one of the sketchy numbers from '08. (<2,000)

Sorta bumming a Comfort Inn computer right now...

Anyone had this problem (fuel pump) and heard it charging when turning the ignition on? May order the pump from Ron Ayers or, alternately, take the pickup down to Baja while my buddy rides.
Dysco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 01:05 PM   #27371
Dysco
caddis muncher

Quote:
If the fuel pump can't maintain pressure to the injector, it would present exactly like that.
That's kinda where I arrived. Yammie shop said 1 week on pump.
Old 03-08-2012, 01:06 PM   #27372
Dahveed
Sumo Biker!

Oddometer: 5,502
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysco View Post
The fuel pump is charging on startup, but it won't idle at all. My WRr is one of the sketchy numbers from '08. (<2,000)

Sorta bumming a Comfort Inn computer right now...

Anyone had this problem (fuel pump) and heard it charging when turning the ignition on? May order the pump from Ron Ayers or, alternately, take the pickup down to Baja while my buddy rides.
I have an 08, how can I tell if I have one of the problem fuel pumps or if it had been replaced by the PO?
'13 R1200GS
'08 WR250R
Dahveed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 01:06 PM   #27373
DougZ73
Fading off.........

One other thing...water in gas from a cheapo station presents the same way too.

key diagnosis, as I mentioned, is to listen for the fuel pump whine.

The initial whine we hear is the fuel pump running to build pressure. Once pressure is met, pressure regulator turns pump off. Once it gets below point x, it kicks on again, etc.

The heat issue also comes into play and is also a sign of the fuel pump issue.
Old 03-08-2012, 01:07 PM   #27374
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysco View Post
That's kinda where I arrived. Yammie shop said 1 week on pump.
Did ya get potentially bad gas recently at all, that you know of?? A sketchy station?
Old 03-08-2012, 01:10 PM   #27375
Dysco
caddis muncher

Quote:
Did ya get potentially bad gas recently at all, that you know of?? A sketchy station?
Nope- local gas from Salida- best they make.

Ran like a top last night, actually. Did some freeway and some in town putting- maybe 25 miles and ran dreamy. Got 10 miles today before the drama... 9 miles before the border.