Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-30-2012, 09:19 PM   #27811
Gundy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 816
Quote:
Originally Posted by skierd View Post
If you use your wrr primarily as a trail bike, stick with the 21/18 combo. If you primarily use it as a street bike a back roads attack machine, go with the x wheel setup. I've put a total of about 55,000 miles on these bikes, 40k with dirt wheels and 15k with the x wheels and the x setup is far superior for most paved and easy dirt situations imo.
I have a fraction of the mileage on either set, but have also been very impressed with the X wheels on gravel/dirt roads. Feels very planted. I have to say however that if I had to choose one set, I would stick with the R wheels since they are far more versatile. I like the idea of the 19" front, but probably not worth the money if you already have both sets. If you only had X wheels, I would say go for it since you would only need to buy one wheel.

Gundy screwed with this post 03-31-2012 at 05:06 AM
Gundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 01:24 AM   #27812
TierHawg
Herder of the J-Cats

Oddometer: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longboardr View Post
I tried to buy a Safari last week from justgastanks and got this response

We are currently finding some issues with how the fuel pump fits into these tanks. It could be anywhere from a few days to a couple months until we have this sorted out.

I told them to email me when the tank becomes available again, haven't heard from them yet.
Yep, I tried to order a Safari several weeks ago too. I got a phone call the next day stating the same issues with the tanks. Was told it could be months before the "newest" tanks were shipped. It sounds like the batch in stock now was made with a change to the placement of the vacuum manifold. The manifold is blocking area where the fuel pump needs to be, which is not a good thing. Guess it'll be another riding season of carrying 1 liter fuel bottles for me.
TierHawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 08:08 AM   #27813
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,497
Quote:
Originally Posted by TierHawg View Post
Yep, I tried to order a Safari several weeks ago too. I got a phone call the next day stating the same issues with the tanks. Was told it could be months before the "newest" tanks were shipped. It sounds like the batch in stock now was made with a change to the placement of the vacuum manifold. The manifold is blocking area where the fuel pump needs to be, which is not a good thing. Guess it'll be another riding season of carrying 1 liter fuel bottles for me.
After reading this I am feeling lucky after having a Safari tank mounted on mine almost from the time I got the bike, over two years. Knock on wood, never a problem
AZ TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 09:34 AM   #27814
scottmac
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,495
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ TOM View Post
After reading this I am feeling lucky after having a Safari tank mounted on mine almost from the time I got the bike, over two years. Knock on wood, never a problem
Why did Safari change something that wasn't broken in the first place?

I've got one of the first Safari tanks that hit the US on my 2008 and it's been trouble free
since I installed it.
scottmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 04:00 PM   #27815
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Oddometer: 6,775
Sticking throttle follow up: So, we had some shitty weather today here in NJ, so I was not able to dig into as much as I wanted. As suggested, I checked that the screws on throttle housing were not too tight, cables were not bound and no dirt or anything stuck between bar and tube. Hand guards also not touching anything.

I did learn that the adjuster up by grip, is only for slack on throttle pull cable and does not affect snap back at all.

Looks like I am gonna have to take off tank and adjust at the TB. Not something I was gonna mess with today.

Thanks for all the input guys.
DougZ73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 08:36 PM   #27816
Honkey Cat
Tailights Fade!

Oddometer: 1,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid Dog View Post
Can anyone confirm if a Powerbomb header will mate up to a stock muffler?
confirmed and on my bike
08 WR250R, First day at its new home
Honkey Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 10:33 PM   #27817
Longboardr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by TierHawg View Post
I couldn't take the little 2 gallon tank anymore so I bought the 3 gallon IMS from Rocky Mtn Atv. Between the initial 10% off and the 10% I'll end up getting back in rewards the tank was pretty reasonable. I figured I can sell it later for not much of a loss if I need more capacity or better radiator protection (which is why I tried to get the Safari)

I took a different approach with the install than what I read anywhere. I had less than half a gallon in the tank so I didn't bother draining it. I intended to pull the fuel line but when I got the tank on it's side I realized I could just pull all the screws and leave the pump hooked up to the bike.

I also installed a Flatland radiator guard while the bike was torn down. After looking at how the mount tabs from the radiator stick out of the guard I'm thinking about bending them in flush with guard and zip tying the shroud to the guard. Decided to think about it a little more before bending anything...

It went well and I was surprised how well the tank fit the bike. After reading peoples thoughts about how there were large gaps around the tank I've happily realized I'm not the most anal retentive owner in the bunch

Longboardr screwed with this post 04-01-2012 at 12:00 AM
Longboardr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 12:49 AM   #27818
Mr. Fisherman
Ray soon to be AWAY!

Oddometer: 10,475
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottmac View Post
Why did Safari change something that wasn't broken in the first place?

I've got one of the first Safari tanks that hit the US on my 2008 and it's been trouble free
since I installed it.
+1

I was also one of the first, maybe the first natural tank in the US. It has held up VERY well...
Mr. Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 05:36 AM   #27819
ADVCoop
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longboardr View Post
After reading peoples thoughts about how there were large gaps around the tank I've happily realized I'm not the most anal retentive owner in the bunch

I got mine from RMATV also. I originally wanted natural but the price was too good so I went with black since that is what they sell. I also expected the gaps to be worse by the way people complained in posts I read. I guess stuff like that must bother me less than others .
Old 04-01-2012, 07:21 AM   #27820
baiku
Maniacal Engineer

Oddometer: 1,264
Hi All,

Just picked up a 'new' 2009 WRR with 400 miles. Looks like its still on the showroom floor.

With nearly 28000 posts, I don't have time to read the whole thread, so I hope there is an index or review of accessories. I'm thinking of a Flatland skid plate and a Bulletproof radiator guard, but open to suggestions.

Thanks!
Old 04-01-2012, 07:46 AM   #27821
Longboardr
Gnarly Adventurer

These links were pretty helpful

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=538181

http://rickramsey.net/WR250Rmods.htm#exup
Old 04-01-2012, 09:24 AM   #27822
sensor419
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Price for WRR

Baiku,

Would you mind sharing what your 09 WR with 400 mi cost you.

All,

I am looking at a 08 that was purchased as a leftover in 09 and currently has 547 mi. Very good condition except has some scratches on plastic and graphics rubbed on front side panels from strapping it to a hitch carrier. Seller is asking $3600. Wondering if that is a good price.

Thanks
sensor419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 09:52 AM   #27823
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 10,015
Quote:
Originally Posted by sensor419 View Post
Baiku,

All,

I am looking at a 08 that was purchased as a leftover in 09 and currently has 547 mi. Very good condition except has some scratches on plastic and graphics rubbed on front side panels from strapping it to a hitch carrier. Seller is asking $3600. Wondering if that is a good price.

Thanks
I paid $3800 for one with 1200 miles and an extended warranty one year ago. It had a Yamalink, Force skid plate and radiator guard and a Spiral step seat plus the stock stuff. I put another $1500 worth of farkles into it for range and comfort. Its the best $5300 I've ever spent for a motorcycle.

I'd say that is a very good price and I wouldn't wait around either.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 10:16 AM   #27824
Longboardr
Gnarly Adventurer

I'm going to be going down to the Hatfield and McCoy Buffalo Mountain Trial Area in a couple of weeks. I've never ridden down there before. I want to throw a new set of tires on for the weekend. So far I've only got experience with the 606's that came on the bike.

I expect to do very little road riding so I'm interested in tires that are more dirt/rock oriented than dual purpose. They don't have to be DOT, the 606's will be going back on after the weekend. What would you throw on if you were doing the same ride?

Longboardr screwed with this post 04-01-2012 at 10:24 AM
Old 04-01-2012, 11:45 AM   #27825
baiku
Maniacal Engineer

Oddometer: 1,264
Quote:
Originally Posted by sensor419 View Post
Baiku,

All,

Thanks
I overpaid, no question about it. $4500. NADA was around $4150. But the bike is literally like new. It was also a leftover '09 sold in May 2010. It had been ridden not long ago, but the battery was dead and wouldn't take a charge, so I got a brand new Yuasa included in the deal.

NADA average retail price for an '08 is $3395.