Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2012, 10:51 AM   #28051
boogn1sh
Motorcycle crash-tester

Oddometer: 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sewerat View Post
This topic has been brought up before. one thing that had been mentioned is that tubes are not dot approved.
Exactly. You think the insurance company will tear your tires apart to inspect them?

I treat my WRR like a street legal dirt bike, which it is. I have the minimum requirements for street use. I have crashed hundreds of times and have never alerted my insurance company, it's a dirt bike for Christ's sake. The only time I would involve the insurance company is if I damaged another vehicle or I was hit by another vehicle. Otherwise, just treat it like a dirt bike.

http://adventuresubaru.com
boogn1sh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 11:01 AM   #28052
Krabill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,542
Now that you've picked up a "real" dirt bike . . . what are your plans for the WRR?
Krabill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 12:38 PM   #28053
boogn1sh
Motorcycle crash-tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krabill View Post
Now that you've picked up a "real" dirt bike . . . what are your plans for the WRR?
I wondered that too Krabill. Now that I have spent some time on the "real" dirt bike, I know I will be keeping the WRR. The only things I'd consider trading the WRR for would be a TE310 or the 350 EXC-F. The Husky is pretty versatile, but it still won't handle hwy use like the WRR can. Haven't read much about the 350 KTM yet, but I would guess it is even less versatile when it comes to hwy use. The WRR is just too perfect for overnight single track camping trips etc. And as your iron butt has proven, the WRR is even capable of crossing several States in a single day. That is pretty freaking amazing!

The KTM200XC I have is an awesome street legal trail bike, but it only serves ONE purpose. It is certainly capable of going much faster in the woods (with less work) than a WRR, but at my age I don't need to be going too fast anyway. It is nice to ride a dedicated dirt bike in the woods, but it is certainly NOT a replacement for the WRR! I'm starting to think nothing is a good replacement for the WRR. Even though it could be considered an under-powered over-weight bike, it is still the most versatile bike I have ever owned. But that's not telling anyone in this thread anything new...

I just love motorcycles and wanted to try something different. This 200 is set-up perfectly for the tight woods riding we do here in AR, but I haven't committed to it long term yet. Obviously I am very committed to the WRR over the long term. In fact, if I ever decide to add another dirt bike to my stable, the KTM will be the first to go.

Old 04-12-2012, 12:50 PM   #28054
boogn1sh
Motorcycle crash-tester

Just sent you a PM Krabill.

Old 04-12-2012, 01:51 PM   #28055
Crawdaddy
Navigate 2 Adventure

Oddometer: 2,206
Quote:
Originally Posted by boogn1sh View Post
.....Now that I have spent some time on the "real" dirt bike, I know I will be keeping the WRR. ...... The WRR is just too perfect for overnight single track camping trips etc..
I feel the same way......the WR is my "ADV" bike.......the KTM 300XCW is my "single track weapon".....if I had to have one bike I'd keep the WR and blow out the KTM....
http://www.WhereAmIRiding.com
Crawdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 02:36 PM   #28056
oPAULo
jack of all terrain

Oddometer: 3,847
Romping a WR250. Way nicer suspension than the DRZ.

oPAULo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 02:38 PM   #28057
oPAULo
jack of all terrain

Oddometer: 3,847
And chasing a WR250. Fun day.
oPAULo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 02:42 PM   #28058
blues bob
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
suspension settings

Thanks everyone, for your comments and advice. Reckon I just got to get out there and do some "clicken". Tomorrow the Rox bar risors go on to match my 6' 3'' bod.
blues bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 03:30 PM   #28059
baiku
Manaical Engineer

Oddometer: 1,281
Quote:
Originally Posted by sensor419 View Post
Pantah and baiku,

Thanks for your responses. I went ahead and bought the bike for $3600. I quoted the NADA and KBB prices to the seller but he was firm on the price due to low mileage, condition and rarity of these dual sports around here (Wisconsin). A dealer not too far away does have two 08 WRRs but is asking a lot more than $3600 for them ($4400 for one with 1600 mi and $4900 for the other with 150 mi). Also the seller was an older guy who bought the bike new and said he just rode it easy on some local trails. So now I need to go through it and change the oil and filter etc. Any tips on checking chain tension? I am not impressed with the owner's manual description of how to measure the proper chain tension. Help would be appreciated.

Thanks
I stumbled on a link to a service bulletin that changed the procedure:
http://rickramsey.net/MTpdf/Technica...8-020short.pdf
Old 04-12-2012, 04:06 PM   #28060
baiku
Manaical Engineer

Front rotor guard

Has anyone bought the Sandman adapter for the Acerbis rotor guard *recently*? The Acerbis mount and the plastic guard seem to be discontinued, based on what I found. There are new replacements on the Acerbis web site (with different part numbers), so I'm reluctant to go ahead until I can get a complete kit of parts.
Old 04-12-2012, 04:45 PM   #28061
Longboardr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by baiku View Post
Has anyone bought the Sandman adapter for the Acerbis rotor guard *recently*? The Acerbis mount and the plastic guard seem to be discontinued, based on what I found. There are new replacements on the Acerbis web site (with different part numbers), so I'm reluctant to go ahead until I can get a complete kit of parts.
I was originally going to go this route but the Zeta brake protection package from soloracer was just too tempting for the price.

http://www.soloracer.com/wr250rbrakegrd.html

Longboardr screwed with this post 04-12-2012 at 04:52 PM Reason: because I always typo
Longboardr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 05:07 PM   #28062
baiku
Manaical Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longboardr View Post
I was originally going to go this route but the Zeta brake protection package from soloracer was just too tempting for the price.

http://www.soloracer.com/wr250rbrakegrd.html
That sounds like a great package. Thanks!
Old 04-12-2012, 07:26 PM   #28063
BadBrian
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Snatchy Throttle

I remember a post on here from a guy who had a snatchy throttle issue. I tried to find the post but there are quite a few posts regarding snatchy throttle fixes including programmers. My bike is totally stock as I think his was. He had an electrical solution to the issue that I would like to research. My snatch is pretty bad (we all know there is bad snatch) it feels like it goes from 5% to 30% in a hairs twist.
Newb rider who appreciates all help...

Thanks,
BB
BadBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 08:10 PM   #28064
BadBrian
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Well I found the thread....just happened to be on another site:
http://wr250rforum.forumotion.com/t5...on-off-at-idle

I'll have to chew on this a bit...
BadBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 08:52 PM   #28065
what broke now
Petroleum Brother

Oddometer: 1,239
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadBrian View Post
I remember a post on here from a guy who had a snatchy throttle issue. I tried to find the post but there are quite a few posts regarding snatchy throttle fixes including programmers. My bike is totally stock as I think his was. He had an electrical solution to the issue that I would like to research. My snatch is pretty bad (we all know there is bad snatch) it feels like it goes from 5% to 30% in a hairs twist.
Newb rider who appreciates all help...

Thanks,
BB
when my wr was new to me, I had some trouble with that as well. I think gearing down changed it some , but just getting used to the throttle [and the clutch, too] is the biggest piece. Some here claim it"breaks in" I don't know, but it is no longer an issue for me. People also try different throttle cams.
what broke now is offline   Reply With Quote