User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2009, 05:35 PM   #2821
Broo C em
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 177
Puke Spwokets etc

My WR's c/s nut (first time when new) would NOT budge with the usual homeshop tricks, so I just rode down to the Yamashop & they only had to give it a nudge with the rattle-gun (air wrench) to free it up for me, no sweat no charge.

Re the front sprocket I also found the stock 13 was quite hard to manouver off the chain & shaft as there is VERY little spare space in the area, but after nudging it out past the end of the shaft it eventually came out by walking the sprocket back along the chain to where it could drop clear. It just took a bit of patience & jiggling. . . . . I must say that after many years & MANY bikes the WR's stock front sprocket has probably been the most difficult to get off, but still not really what I'ld regard as a 'problem'.

FWIW I found that with 12/46 I still had to add a link, whereas I seem to recall some having said they could run 12/46 on the stock chain .. . mebbe different markets get different-lengths in 'stock' chain?

That chain-skipping thing really intrigues me as I've never had it happen to me (except once wayback on a Maico where I had the sprockets worn down to rounded lumps!), but it does seem to happen to some folks with sligtly loose chains . . . it has me beat why it doesnt also happen on other bikes with slack chains, I cant see what/where/why the WR2 is 'unique' enough to be having it happen .. .

Cheers, BrooC DownUnder
Old 02-28-2009, 04:38 PM   #2822
reconsmr
Banned

Oddometer: 1,522
A little advice for WRr owners,,,,RUN, don't walk, to your dealer & get a set of aftermarket sprockets. We are now running a loose 2 1/2 fingers at the rear of the upper chain guide and have near an inch of slack at the tight point of suspension travel. The cheapo stock sprockets were skipping teeth at the "old" Yammy spec which made for a really tight chain with suspension compression. Now we are at the loose end of the old spec and no skipping, as it should be. Pay in engine or wheel bearings if you rather not believe it.

BTW, it was the front CS, as we did that one first, tested and have eliminated the problem. The rear didn't change that but it is GONE too as it is also more than 2mm less deep tooth wise! Friggin TTR lineage!

Now to fab up a steel case saver, unless someone knows of a replacement, WRf maybe?
reconsmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 08:13 PM   #2823
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,609
This thread has lost it's legs since the creation of the WRR Forum 2 weeks ago.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 09:26 PM   #2824
Broo C em
Gnarly Adventurer

WRR Forum . ..

.. . where'zat at then?

bROOc DownUnderer
Old 02-28-2009, 10:56 PM   #2825
MoBill
Smiles when says dat

Oddometer: 13,398
Linky? You mean on Thumpertalk.com?
MoBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 11:45 PM   #2826
xjahx
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
WR250R/X Forum

Mo: Here is a link to the developing forum - http://wr250rforum.forumotion.com/index.htm

It is getting better by the day with many of the experts from this thread contributing there as well. For a new guy like myself, it provides order to this monster.
xjahx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 11:55 PM   #2827
MoBill
Smiles when says dat

Oddometer: 13,398
Thanks x.

Good deal.
MoBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 03:01 AM   #2828
Gargoyle
Trail Jester

Oddometer: 1,165
Quote:
Originally Posted by reconsmr
Now to fab up a steel case saver, unless someone knows of a replacement, WRf maybe?
No, a WR-F case saver definitely will not fit. I tried a Hammerhead WR-F saver and it wasn't even close. :-(
Berkshire Trail Riders on Facebook or follow me on Twitter
Gargoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 10:19 AM   #2829
Broo C em
Gnarly Adventurer

Case saver

. .. . . whats wrong with the stock plastic one? It can be mounted without the cover, it should be good for at least one (rare) chain-failure event, & it would likely be cheap to replace if it ever does get mangled.

Alternatively, I recently hacked one out of 10mm aloominum to fit my Pampera, but not having a pattern had to fiddle around cutting one out of cardboard. For the WR2 the stock plastic one wil be a perfect pattern to work from.
HTH
bROOc
Old 03-01-2009, 11:13 AM   #2830
Reposado1800
Juicy J fan!

Oddometer: 5,740
Mileage???

My last big trip I was getting 50 mpg which was disappointing. I should slow down. I bet it would be closer to 70 mpg.
Old 03-01-2009, 12:05 PM   #2831
reconsmr
Banned

Oddometer: 1,522
[quote=Broo C em]. .. . . whats wrong with the stock plastic one? It can be mounted without the cover, it should be good for at least one (rare) chain-failure event, & it would likely be cheap to replace if it ever does get mangled.

Mine has a half moon worn out if it from the few skips it had. The plastic will not stop anything bad from happening. Too much TTR design lifted in this area. With new sprockets it shouldn't be a skip issue, now it will be a rock/stick/chain failure if anything. The stocker should be easy to duplicate in steel. A bolt on would have been nice and easy.
reconsmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 08:11 PM   #2832
D-Train
Ridin' Dirty

Oddometer: 1,241
Gearing...

I'm back...

Thanks again to everyone who offered advice for my gearing situation. I took the R in to my local shop to see if they could remove the locknut and they had to hit it with an impact wrench to get it off . So it seems as though the dealer I bought it from made damn sure it was not coming off without a fight . Thanks again for all the advice and I am going to try it myself again sometime just to see if I can get that nut to crack!

Dusty
Old 03-02-2009, 08:43 AM   #2833
Chadx
Off the road again..

Oddometer: 2,165
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Train
...I took the R in to my local shop to see if they could remove the locknut and they had to hit it with an impact wrench to get it off. So it seems as though the dealer I bought it from made damn sure it was not coming off without a fight . Thanks again for all the advice and I am going to try it myself again sometime just to see if I can get that nut to crack!
Dusty, Was this the one that the dealer put on for you or the factory sprocket? If it was from the time the dealer put it on, you should ask them if they originally tightened it to the 69 ft lb spec that others posted was the correct torque. If it is torqued to 69 ft lb, it should be pretty easy to remove with a breaker bar. Considering you couldn't, they might have used a rattle gun that didn't have torque settings and they are putting it on way too tight. Might be something to ask them about to ensure they are using a proper torque wrench to do service work.

Chadx screwed with this post 03-02-2009 at 12:03 PM
Chadx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 12:39 PM   #2834
bpg
Off Trail

Oddometer: 563
yeeeeeeeeah baby!!!

Just picked up a leftover '08 from Crossroads Yamaha in Albemarle NC, $4599 w/ 0.2 miles on the clock! Couldn't believe such a great deal was only about 35 miles up the road...

Can't wait to get a skid plate, and swap the handguards off my 1978 Honda XL250 (yeah, you read that right - let's just say I've earned my dues ).

I even passed the first two tests of R ownership - superscripting the "2" in R, and getting all the factory tools to fit back into that little plastic box, LOL!

Looking forward to many adventures in NC and back home in western PA on this little beast - my first new vehicle ever.
'02 Honda CBR1100XX

bpg screwed with this post 11-06-2009 at 03:59 PM
bpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 12:41 PM   #2835
ThumperDRZ
Bouncing off Rocks!

Oddometer: 2,399
Who has owned a DRZ S and then bought one of these.....? Would like to know what the handling difference is. Looks like the wet weight is probably 15 to 20 lbs different but how does that compare on the road and trail.
Hope this isn't 205 but I don't have time to read this whole thread.. ..looks to be great reviews though on this bike. I'd hate to sell my DRZ then end up with a bike that is kind of like my DRZ which is a little portly on the trail.

Thanks for any input.

On Hiatus
ThumperDRZ is offline   Reply With Quote