Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-22-2008, 03:10 PM   #271
Jaynen
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 618
Still trying to get my wife to let me buy the WRR. Have a Drz 250 now but in cali theres no way to get a plate even if I wanted to go through that. Light commuting and then dualsport/desert riding is in my future, so there are some rocky singletracks but also a lot of soft/sandy whooped out areas at least up at Hungry Valley in Gorman. Because of this I was thinking of swapping for the MT21 Pirellis as I have actually heard multiple people say they ride decent on the road even when wet, vs the unanimous vote for a dunlop 606 rear but the front can be a bit sketchy (all the stuff I have read over on thumpertalk)
Jaynen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 03:34 PM   #272
Sock Monkey OP
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 1,918
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gargoyle
Yup, this is what I have on mine .... Front: 90/90-21 ... Rear: 120/90-18.

Looks good! I particularly like the appropriate application of dirt.

I see you have the FMF Q4. Did you also do the airbox mod? Did you remap the ECU/FI, or is it managing the fuel/air OK without a remap? I see from the service manual that there is both an air temp and air pressure sensor on the intake, so I'm curious to know if the ECU is smart enough to be able to use this info to adjust the timing/FI for header/pipe/airbox mods in the absence of a true "closed loop" system with an O2 sensor in the head pipe (which of course the WRR doesn't have).

-NoVector
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 03:53 PM   #273
Jaynen
Studly Adventurer

They must have something tricky going on since I believe Yamaha said it would work with an exhaust that removed the exup thing fine right.
Old 06-22-2008, 05:38 PM   #274
Gargoyle
Trail Jester

Oddometer: 1,155
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVector
I see you have the FMF Q4. Did you also do the airbox mod?
No, right now I don't think I will do the airbox flapper mod.

I also see people starting to play with Power Commander on their WR250R/X.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=659247

For me, I am not ready to do that level of mod and risk reliability just yet.
Berkshire Trail Riders on Facebook or follow me on Twitter
Gargoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 06:19 PM   #275
mlebout
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Thanks to all for the advice.

Gargoyle, did you have any trouble installing the Zeta impact handguards? BTW, I like the tires.

I changed my oil for the first time today (60 miles on bike). I did the manuals recommended break in, for the most part. Also, did do some heavy powering in 2nd and 3rd. The oil did not look as bad as NoVector's but was pretty sluggy just the same (in took 1.4 liters). Will continue break in with Motoman's system. I used his methods on my 800EFI Polaris and it runs great. I also added a K&N filter to it and noticed a differnce in performance. Anyone know if K&N makes an airfilter/box for the WR250R?

Thanks again for all the help.
mlebout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 06:30 PM   #276
Gargoyle
Trail Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlebout
Gargoyle, did you have any trouble installing the Zeta impact handguards? BTW, I like the tires.
I didn't have any problems installing them. There are only 2 wires on the Zeta XC's, so you loose the WR's stock "running lights" up front. Other than that, just bolt them on and connect the 2 wires. The blue wire is the steady, the green/brown wire is the flasher. I think they look great. I haven't crashed hard or hit a tree hard with them yet, so I don't know how durable they are

Old 06-22-2008, 10:22 PM   #277
Sock Monkey OP
Corporate slave

Quote:
No, right now I don't think I will do the airbox flapper mod.

I also see people starting to play with Power Commander on their WR250R/X.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=659247

For me, I am not ready to do that level of mod and risk reliability just yet.
Do you notice any performance improvement with the Q4? If so, where does it help? I ask because I'm hearing really good things about the combo of the FMF Power Bomb header with any of their mufflers and opening up the air box. I would guess that combo would move a lot more air through the system, and if it can be believed, is good for as much as a 6HP gain at the rear wheel (26 -> 32 ).

-NoVector
Old 06-23-2008, 03:56 AM   #278
Gargoyle
Trail Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVector
Do you notice any performance improvement with the Q4? If so, where does it help? I ask because I'm hearing really good things about the combo of the FMF Power Bomb header with any of their mufflers and opening up the air box. I would guess that combo would move a lot more air through the system, and if it can be believed, is good for as much as a 6HP gain at the rear wheel (26 -> 32 ).

-NoVector
Well, I haven't dyno'ed it stock vs pipe/airbox ... hope someone on TT does that real soon. But, the "seat of the pants" tell me with the EXUP removed and adding Q4/power bomb combo ... there is more real power throughout the entire power band. Where I notice it most is on the trails climbing hills in first or second gear.

I just put on a K&N air filter and added 3 teeth to the rear sprocket. So I am hoping that will give me even a little more grunt in the tight stuff as well.

Next thing I am thinking about is a "Speedohealer" to get the odometer trued up so I am not guessing about roll chart mileage. If anyone is doing the Thrill & Chill NETRA Turkey Run in July or the AMA National D/S in Hancock NY in August please let me know.
Old 06-23-2008, 04:27 AM   #279
mlebout
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Quote:
I didn't have any problems installing them. There are only 2 wires on the Zeta XC's, so you loose the WR's stock "running lights" up front. Other than that, just bolt them on and connect the 2 wires. The blue wire is the steady, the green/brown wire is the flasher. I think they look great. I haven't crashed hard or hit a tree hard with them yet, so I don't know how durable they are
Thanks, I guess the install will be real easy for me. Will get the guards without the lights, as I need running lights. There are a lot of elderly people still driving around here that even pull out in front of other cars occasionally.
mlebout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 07:54 AM   #280
Jaynen
Studly Adventurer

I know this keeps getting asked I'm guessing its in the TT thread about which part number the K&N filter is. How much does it run?

No way to wire the Zetas and have both the flashers and the running lights? I'm sure the stock setup uses 3 wires but probably only the one bulb still so what if you hooked "both" wires to the one on the zeta? I really like the clean look of them so if that was possible that would be awesome.
Old 06-23-2008, 09:58 AM   #281
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,403
Quote:
If anyone is doing the Thrill & Chill NETRA Turkey Run in July or the AMA National D/S in Hancock NY in August please let me know.
Thrill & Chill yes

Hancock hopefully.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 10:09 AM   #282
Gargoyle
Trail Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket
Thrill & Chill yes

Hancock hopefully.
Great ... you can take a ride on my WR on Saturday in RI if you are still itching to try one.
Old 06-23-2008, 10:36 AM   #283
Sock Monkey OP
Corporate slave

Quote:
Well, I haven't dyno'ed it stock vs pipe/airbox ... hope someone on TT does that real soon. But, the "seat of the pants" tell me with the EXUP removed and adding Q4/power bomb combo ... there is more real power throughout the entire power band. Where I notice it most is on the trails climbing hills in first or second gear.
Thanks. That's what I was hoping, since the Power Bomb is supposed to "lengthen" the header (without actually adding any length), which is a way to add more low-end.

I see you posted on the TT dyno video thread. They're using a FMF slip-on with a custom header that looks exactly like the FMF Power Bomb, along with what I assume is a custom FI map ("MPFueler"), and getting 32HP/20ftlb at the rear wheel. The vid said they also removed the airbox cover. Pretty impressive. I wonder how much more they could get out of it if they changed the ignition timing as well? 32HP at the rear wheel is getting close to the numbers I've seen for the KTM 250XCF-W (37HP at the crank, which is what, 34-35HP at the rear wheel?). Not bad for a dual-sport bike!

-NoVector
Old 06-23-2008, 03:04 PM   #284
Jaynen
Studly Adventurer

Keep in mind that I believe an XR400 dynos around 30hp at the wheel and is a very popular bike to dual sport still
Old 06-23-2008, 03:30 PM   #285
Sock Monkey OP
Corporate slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaynen
Keep in mind that I believe an XR400 dynos around 30hp at the wheel and is a very popular bike to dual sport still
Unfortunately, unless you live in a state that allows conversions, you can't get a plate for it (I live in CA, where you can't convert these bikes any more ).

-NoVector