Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-2012, 08:34 AM   #28786
Sewerat
Cert. bike whore

Oddometer: 1,263
So how did the head work feel on the first ride? Noticeable.
Old 05-27-2012, 10:13 AM   #28787
Hashtronaut
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Question About Yamaha wr250r

Hi, I have a question about the yamaha wr250r. I wasn't sure where to ask, but it seems as tho the members of this forum have plenty of knowledge and provide useful feedback so I came here. Also not sure if this is the right section of the forum, but since the header mentioned duel sport I figured I'm close. Anyway, my question is this:

Is there any real advantage of buying a newer model? I'm saving up some cash and was planning on getting a 2010 model, but now that I look more I see that 2008 and 2009 models are noticeably cheaper. Are there any reasons other than the obvious (newer, less mileage) that makes the 2010+ models better? Or should I save myself some money and grab one that's a little older but still in good condition?

Thanks for all help,
Hashtronaut
Hashtronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 10:36 AM   #28788
BuilderBob
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sewerat View Post
So how did the head work feel on the first ride? Noticeable.
I didn't push it because I had dressed the cylinder before reassembly, and even though it's the same cylinder and piston/rings, there is a minor amount of break-in, I'm guessing. Seems to have more spunk.

Biggest difference is that I have virtually lost all off-idle hesitation, which makes me believe that I had the valve timing off on the first rebuild. It's running very nicely.

I need some more time with it and the PC5/Autotune combo to dial it in. I might spring for a dyno run to really get it spot on.
Old 05-27-2012, 11:28 AM   #28789
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,842
Start here:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=329337
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 01:12 PM   #28790
HardWorkingDog
Harvey Mushman

Oddometer: 1,701
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hashtronaut View Post
Hi, I have a question about the yamaha wr250r...Is there any real advantage of buying a newer model?
No significant differences in all model years. There were some faulty fuel pumps in some of the 2008's; if I bought an '08 I'd just replace the fuel pump as a matter of course so I wouldn't have to worry 'bout it. Other than that, they're all the same.

Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post

Really? No need to go Jo Momma here. You've never been a newb at something, and just wanted to ask a beginner's question?

Next Trip: Divide & Conquer...

"it's a dog's life.............and I love it"
HardWorkingDog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 01:41 PM   #28791
HiluxCrux
Under western skies.

Oddometer: 125
Thanks for the feedback on this. This is the route I'm thinking of taking as I'll almost always want the extra gas along. When camping from the bike I'll just throw my tail bag right on top. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramz View Post
I mounted a RotoPax that sits on the rear fender and tail end of the seat.

I installed mounting bolts that bolt to the subframe under the rear fender, but the fender also serves to support:
http://rickramsey.net/WR250Rmods.htm#roto

Compressing the foam keeps the jug fairly stable.

This mount was the minimum that I could come up with. I spent quite a bit of time trying different combinations of mounting pieces and the top locking piece.

I cut one of the black mounting pieces in half so I could have a smooth surface when all pieces are removed.
Old 05-27-2012, 03:47 PM   #28792
cug
--

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardWorkingDog View Post
Really? No need to go Jo Momma here. You've never been a newb at something, and just wanted to ask a beginner's question?
Maybe you need to adjust your sensors again but there was nothing offensive, nothing bad, nothing harsh about it. Maybe a bit short, but he did ask WHERE to ask the question. That's why I pointed out this thread where all the information is - not easily accessible but likely available. You have a problem with that?
Old 05-27-2012, 03:48 PM   #28793
theMISSIONARY
hunting and riding!!

Oddometer: 2,128
Quote:
Hi, I have a question about the yamaha wr250r. I wasn't sure where to ask, but it seems as tho the members of this forum have plenty of knowledge and provide useful feedback so I came here. Also not sure if this is the right section of the forum, but since the header mentioned duel sport I figured I'm close. Anyway, my question is this:

Is there any real advantage of buying a newer model? I'm saving up some cash and was planning on getting a 2010 model, but now that I look more I see that 2008 and 2009 models are noticeably cheaper. Are there any reasons other than the obvious (newer, less mileage) that makes the 2010+ models better? Or should I save myself some money and grab one that's a little older but still in good condition?

Thanks for all help,
Hashtronaut

Fuel pump on the early 08's i have a late 08 and i haven't had a problem in 20200km's

there is also the WRr forum

http://wr250rforum.forumotion.com/

i am going to get a rack for the rear so i can mount the "roll" on the back i little farther back and i have an IMS 18L tank on order(2 month wait :( )

WR250r of Awesomeness.......now with extra added Awesomeness!

theMISSIONARY screwed with this post 05-27-2012 at 03:55 PM
theMISSIONARY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 04:43 PM   #28794
HardWorkingDog
Harvey Mushman

Quote:
..but he did ask WHERE to ask the question...
Did the post get moved from another thread? If so, that'd help to make your reply seem reasonable.

Quote:
That's why I pointed out this thread where all the information is - not easily accessible but likely available. You have a problem with that?
Well, pointing the OP to the first post of this, thread with over 1900 pages, after the OP had obviously already found this thread in the first place didn't seem all that useful. Am I missing something here?

If this was the result of a mod's move from somewhere else it makes a lot more sense.

Old 05-27-2012, 08:28 PM   #28795
The Breeze
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 204
Quote:

Thanks for all help,
Hashtronaut
No reason to wait/look for a 2010 or newer. There have been a few "minor" changes throughout the model years......the only real issue has been the fuel pump in some 2008 models. If you search throughout this thread, you can locate the build months that are in question regarding the bad fuel pumps. However, if you see a smokin deal, on a well cared for 2008, jump on it. Worse case, you can buy a new fuel pump for around $240......minimal effort to install. I bought a used 2009 (October 2008 build date) last summer, and used the fuel pump issue as a negotiating point to drive down the price.....10k miles later and the original pump is working just fine. Will probably install a new pump prior to a long off-road trip this summer (just to be on the safe side).

The bike is great out of the box......you won't be disappointed.
The Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 08:33 PM   #28796
rydnseek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,888
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Fisherman View Post
Got wheels and tires?

Took them to a shop to swap them because I am short on time and wanted to take it easy on my healing arm... they closed early for the holiday weekend so I just wound up taking them for a ride....
That is too cool of a rig.. a trailer to haul stuff around! I've strapped a big box on the back, but nothing like this.. Bravo!!
rydnseek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 08:55 PM   #28797
cug
--

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardWorkingDog View Post
Did the post get moved from another thread? If so, that'd help to make your reply seem reasonable.
It was a new thread in Beasts.
Old 05-27-2012, 09:01 PM   #28798
Mr. Fisherman
PROUD 2B Riff Raff!

Oddometer: 10,651
Quote:
Originally Posted by rydnseek View Post
That is too cool of a rig.. a trailer to haul stuff around! I've strapped a big box on the back, but nothing like this.. Bravo!!
I am having STUPID fun with this thing... as you can see.

In just a few weeks I will be dragging it all around the PNWet, setting up base camps and exploring... I am pretty excited

Some of the mods are not complete yet. You were inspiration for one... Stay tuned...

By the way, the manufacture of the trailer is an inmate here...

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=742318

Mr. Fisherman screwed with this post 05-27-2012 at 09:10 PM
Mr. Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 11:20 PM   #28799
HardWorkingDog
Harvey Mushman

Quote:
It was a new thread in Beasts.

That 'splains a lot...I owe you a

Old 05-28-2012, 07:34 AM   #28800
thumpididump
MacGyver

Oddometer: 2,530
Had a spectacular crash yesterday. Wasn't familiar with the trail and thought I was heading over a small jump --- turned out to be a big drop off. It took about 30 seconds to get that first breath of air after having the wind knocked from my lungs. No broken bones, but plenty of internal bruising. Pain is quite intense, and I expect it will last a few days.

The part where I sample the soil is just after the 1-minute mark:

thumpididump is offline   Reply With Quote