User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-19-2012, 01:10 PM   #29206
NED RECK
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Retire the klr?

HEY GUYS, SO I ONLY HAVE ROOM FOR 2 BIKES. THE 12GS STAYS. THE KLR'S BEEN REALLY GOOD TO ME BUT I'M GETTIN A LITTLE BORED WITH IT. I CAN TAKE THE GS ANYWHERE (ALMOST) THE KLR WILL GO.
BEEN READING THE HELL OUT OF THIS POST AND NOW SERIOUSLY LOOKING AT ONE OF THESE WR/R/X'S FOR GETTING A LITTLE DEEPER INTO THE OUTBACK.
WILL THE STOCK SUSPENSION CARRY ME (205 LBS) AND THE NORMAL GEAR LOAD-OUT W/O MODIFICATION? SUSTAINED 70-75 MPH SLAB SECTIONS? HATE TO OFF THIS LOYAL GIRL BUT,,,,,,,,,LOOKIN AT SOME NEW STRANGE.
• We are all users. Most everyone seeks to intentionally affect consciousness in one way or another, from caffeine and alcohol to practices such as yoga or running. We support the use of pharmaceuticals to manage moods.
So we should rethink “use,” especially the urge to get high, as a human appetite and broaden our understanding of that desire.
NED RECK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 01:19 PM   #29207
Wingnut037
Two Sheds

Oddometer: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert OK View Post
Hey Folks,

Just bought a 2012 two days ago. I've put about 150 miles on it, probably 1/3 on dirt roads. This is the most fun bike I've ever owned. I'm totally stoked.

The problem is that my wife and I usually ride together. She has a Bonneville and is not too happy on dirt. She's 5'3" with longish legs for her height. Am I likely able to lower a WR for her height (I'm guessing around 4 to 5 inches) or should I start looking at another model or brand? All things being equal, I'd prefer two WRs.
My wife rides a WRX with trimmed foam, lowering link, and adjusted to the lower stock settings. Front fork is about 1" out of the tree to balance things out. She is 5'4" and can nearly flatfoot it with her weight on the seat. I would guess her bike is an easy 3+ inches lower than my stock seat/max high WRX.

Having two WRs on a recent 2200 mile trip made a big difference. Only needed one set of tools, and spare parts were reduced since they fit either bike.
Wingnut037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 01:26 PM   #29208
Rapid Dog
bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer: 9,063
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by ned reck View Post
..hey guys, will the stock suspension carry me (205 lbs) and the normal gear load-out w/o modification? Sustained 70-75 mph slab sections? ...
hey redneck! Shore nuff will. My podna is easiliy 215 and rides his bone stocker everwhere i go! And wee's hauls ass!

full on caps lock!!!

Rapid Dog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 02:52 PM   #29209
Attico
Wrong way 'round

Oddometer: 1,821
Headlight broken

Hi all,

I broke my light and i want to replace it with a stock replacement style light.

Has anyone fitted the baja designs 60-0002 here? Do you need to use the side mounts? It is much cheaper than the yamaha lens...
Old 06-19-2012, 04:44 PM   #29210
Sewerat
Cert. bike whore

Oddometer: 1,253
Go to your local ktm dealer get a light from a 2004 exc. exact fit except they use the little bulb for a running light that Yamaha doesn't. I just filled the home with silicone. Then after you replace it. Go to your local home depot or lowes and get some thin Lexan and some Velcro and make a head light protector.
Old 06-19-2012, 05:05 PM   #29211
pfy50
Professional nOOb

Oddometer: 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by NED RECK View Post
WILL THE STOCK SUSPENSION CARRY ME (205 LBS) AND THE NORMAL GEAR LOAD-OUT W/O MODIFICATION? SUSTAINED 70-75 MPH SLAB SECTIONS? HATE TO OFF THIS LOYAL GIRL BUT,,,,,,,,,LOOKIN AT SOME NEW STRANGE.
Carry Yes; perform optimally no. need to up the fork and shock a little. Check out Cogent Dynamics or Go-Race suspension sites to get a better handle on your needs. I'm 230lb plus gear. I think the WRR was sprung optimally for up to 175-180lb max. rider in stock form.
pfy50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 05:08 PM   #29212
thumpididump
MacGyver

Oddometer: 2,460
Order up one of these, and be sure to get a pair of the model 60 LED lamps (3600 lumens each). I'll ride behind you.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=766161

http://www.shop.globetrottin.com/pro...&categoryId=21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attico View Post
Hi all,

I broke my light and i want to replace it with a stock replacement style light.

Has anyone fitted the baja designs 60-0002 here? Do you need to use the side mounts? It is much cheaper than the yamaha lens...

Keyboard Diarrhea
2014 KTM 690 Enduro R
thumpididump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 05:58 PM   #29213
Robert OK
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingnut037 View Post
My wife rides a WRX with trimmed foam, lowering link, and adjusted to the lower stock settings. Front fork is about 1" out of the tree to balance things out. She is 5'4" and can nearly flatfoot it with her weight on the seat. I would guess her bike is an easy 3+ inches lower than my stock seat/max high WRX.

Having two WRs on a recent 2200 mile trip made a big difference. Only needed one set of tools, and spare parts were reduced since they fit either bike.
That's good news Wingnut. I'm going to note the specs you listed and see if I can work something out. Thanks.
Robert OK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 06:02 PM   #29214
Robert OK
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid Dog View Post
I think your wife would be pleased with the X, but even that is fairly on the tall side. I doubt it's close to a Bonneville.
A Yamalink would and raising the forks in the clamps would probably do her right depending on her size.
Some dualsport tires would be the key if you occasionally go exploring.

Note:
2010 Triumph Bonneville Seat Height 29.1in
2010 WR250X Seat Height 35.2in
She should be able to do it, per Wingnut's post. The Bonneville is so much heavier, going to a lighter bike should be easy to balance, even if she's on the balls of her feet.
Robert OK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 06:13 PM   #29215
oPAULo
jack of all terrain

Oddometer: 3,879
Check this!! WR250R gets the wholeshot at our local MAXC race. Vet B class. Basically stock other than a pipe and programmer. That's me on the DRZ bringing up 2nd place. Sure we got smoked later but we left the gate on fire and finished just fine.

oPAULo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 06:20 PM   #29216
Attico
Wrong way 'round

Oddometer: 1,821
Did the ktm light come with little side tabs to screw into the shell or anything? It looks like i would need just the glass.

I'm leaning to the baja designs because of the cost. the ktm is about twice as much and i'm a nice ride away from the us border so i can send it to the ups store...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sewerat View Post
Go to your local ktm dealer get a light from a 2004 exc. exact fit except they use the little bulb for a running light that Yamaha doesn't. I just filled the home with silicone. Then after you replace it. Go to your local home depot or lowes and get some thin Lexan and some Velcro and make a head light protector.

Attico screwed with this post 06-19-2012 at 06:38 PM
Attico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 06:21 PM   #29217
Gitana
A work in progress

Oddometer: 6,950
Go, Paul, go!

As a follow-up to my question regarding my fuel pump, it did indeed turn out to be the fuel pump, and it was the second one that failed on my 2008 WR250R. I don't know if the first replacement was another one of the problem fuel pumps. But it seems strange to have two fuel pumps fail in a four year old bike. I'm wondering if there are any alternative fuel pumps to the Yamaha OEM? The last thing I need is for this to fail next time we're in the middle of nowhere in Moab.
2008 WR250R | 2008 DL650
Gitana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 06:26 PM   #29218
oPAULo
jack of all terrain

Oddometer: 3,879
I replaced Amy's too. Yamaha and the local dealer were giving me the runaround so I just ordered one and put it in. Hope it lasts!
The guy in the pics had his fuel pump sart acting up over the weekend too....
It was hot out. It would die every now and then and the pump sounded funny but it always fired up.
oPAULo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 06:52 PM   #29219
Sewerat
Cert. bike whore

Oddometer: 1,253
Quote:
Originally Posted by Attico View Post
Did the ktm light come with little side tabs to screw into the shell or anything? It looks like i would need just the glass.

I'm leaning to the baja designs because of the cost. the ktm is about twice as much and i'm a nice ride away from the us border so i can send it to the ups store...
The Yamaha one in close to $350 and the ktm one cost me about $130. That was at the dealer in Waterloo. You cannot get just the glass it comes with a new bulb and the rubber boot.
Old 06-19-2012, 06:54 PM   #29220
Roostboy101
Narry Uvencherer

Oddometer: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by NED RECK View Post
HEY GUYS, SO I ONLY HAVE ROOM FOR 2 BIKES. THE 12GS STAYS. THE KLR'S BEEN REALLY GOOD TO ME BUT I'M GETTIN A LITTLE BORED WITH IT. I CAN TAKE THE GS ANYWHERE (ALMOST) THE KLR WILL GO.
BEEN READING THE HELL OUT OF THIS POST AND NOW SERIOUSLY LOOKING AT ONE OF THESE WR/R/X'S FOR GETTING A LITTLE DEEPER INTO THE OUTBACK.
Are you planning on being competitive in A or B class enduros or harescrambles? Do you enjoy spending money? Don't waste your money. These guys act like Yamaha builds a bike that sucks unless you go spend hundreds on suspension. I don't know how people rode the bikes 20 years ago! If you want to be competitive chances are you wouldnt have bought a wrr. Just ride it how it is and enjoy!

I weigh 250 geared up and I do know what a harescramble and enduro scene looks like. It's funny seeing brand new KTM 350s with every farkle and new gear n whatnot that can't ride. Ride your bike! If you reach it's limits then change something (like I said unless you enjoy wasting money...)

Now I'll get to hear from all of the dirt road n cornfield riders about how wrong I am...
Roostboy101 is offline   Reply With Quote