Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2012, 06:18 PM   #29341
Rider_WV
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,157
Quote:
Originally Posted by what broke now View Post
Are you running rim locks at those pressures?
Yes I run a motion pro lite rim lock and a Bridgestone ultra heavy duty tube. No tire spin, no balance issues and no flats. I like low tire pressures for where I ride.
Rider_WV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 06:21 PM   #29342
KansasBob
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 515
+1 on the Enduro Star Trail Stand!. Steve's business is a cottage business, and everything is completely Made In America!
I have one for both of my Dual Sports.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSBS View Post
I have one of these...http://www.endurostar.com/

It works very well and takes up little space.
KansasBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 06:44 PM   #29343
clapped_r6
The Spoad Warrior

Oddometer: 2,583
Quote:
RaceTech is probably good too, but I haven't dealt with them. I can guarantee you won't be sorry if you use Travis at GoRace.
i know he's good, just looking for any sort of comparison. the local guy (who deals racetech stuff) is very, very good, he did my ktm 200 and it's perfect.

just seeing what's out there!
clapped_r6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 06:45 PM   #29344
yaw
lost

Oddometer: 76
odd 606 wear

I've run 606's for about 14,000 miles. I've had the usual scalloping problems on the front. Usually reverse it eventually. This last front tire wore strangely. It didn't scallop. Instead the middle single knob has about 1/4" left on it. The two knobs between every single knob wore down to nothing. When I roll along under 10mph the bike feels like a pogo stick. I run the front about 18psi on the hwy and 15psi on the dirt. I have balanced the tire. Anyone else had this wear problem? Should I go back to the merchant or is that a lost cause? Thanks.
yaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 06:58 PM   #29345
Sewerat
Cert. bike whore

Oddometer: 1,168
A buddy had one one a KLR do the same thing end of last season.
Old 06-25-2012, 07:21 PM   #29346
thumpididump
MacGyver

Oddometer: 2,344
I had a WR250 rear shock rebuilt by WER Suspension in NJ. They did a terrific job and it ran me $200. Highly recommended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clapped_r6 View Post
i know he's good, just looking for any sort of comparison. the local guy (who deals racetech stuff) is very, very good, he did my ktm 200 and it's perfect.

just seeing what's out there!

FY-YFF.com
2014 KTM 690 Enduro R
"You can't put the shit back in the donkey." - Tony Soprano
thumpididump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 08:05 PM   #29347
oPAULo
jack of all terrain

Oddometer: 3,765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sewerat View Post
A buddy had one one a KLR do the same thing end of last season.
Ha! I was just about to type the same thing.
Manufacturer recommends 25 psi on these bikes for street use. Anything less and you'll get some funny wear.
We run full MX tires and 25 psi on the street makes a world of difference on how they wear. They don't last any longer but wear more evenly. The lugs stay more square.
oPAULo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 02:53 AM   #29348
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 9,946
New Tires Make a Big Difference over OEM

Jon - After about 4k miles on my WRR I mounted a Michelin T63 120/18 on the back and left the OEM front because it seemed to have plenty of knobs. The bike was in Arizona and I was trying to scout a section of the Great Western Trail called Camp Creek Wash. It is 13 miles of natural desert drainage between Carefree and Rio Verde. My goal was to see if it was big bike friendly and record a track log to share.

I tried twice riding the wash from the Bartlett Dam Road, but it was a struggle so I turned around after a couple miles. Then I rode around and attacked it from the other end. No better luck. The sand was deep and bermed up from the quads. The bike just wouldn't steer in it.

I thought about it for a day and mounted up my new T63 in the front and went back to try again. It took me about 30 minutes to go end to end, with no drama at all! What a difference a tire makes!

The next day I had a friend lead me down something called Turkey Creek. Sheesh!!! 9 water crossings and nuthin but rocks. Kicked my ass, but got through.

Not sure how the T63's are in the mud yet. I have another dual sport with new MT21's on it. I can say those things are really good in the mud.

The OEM tires just don't cut it in comparison. Also, the T63's are pretty soft so they are easy to mount by hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_l View Post
I am debating what to replace the OEM Trailwings with (3,500 km). List I am considering so far:

MT-21 F / MT-43 rear
MT-21 F / T-63 rear
MT-21 F / D606 rear

Alternative front for all of the above is the Pirelli Scorpion Pro, looks good and lots of folks like them, but I have never used one, and I have run the MT-21 of a DR650 and liked it.

I run lots of street, but care much more about off-road performance; we have a lot of loose sand on the local trails.

If I can get 5,000 km /3,000 miles I'd be satisfied.

I'm running 12-43 now, plan to go to 13-48 when I can afford to. I like the 12 but it makes me nervous with the chain slider / swingarm wear issue.

I like most of what I've read about the MT-43. I know Skierd had less than stellar results with them, Crawdaddy seems to like them. I want to try one on the rear, but I do care about getting decent amount of road mileage since the WRR is so OK there, and since it take some time to get past the city around here.

Gearing is currently -1 on the front, but I plan to go back to the 13T (swingarm / chain-slider paranoia), and up to 47 or 48 on the rear (as much as the stock chain will allow).

Feedback welcome, as always here.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 02:58 AM   #29349
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 9,946
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaw View Post
I've run 606's for about 14,000 miles. I've had the usual scalloping problems on the front. Usually reverse it eventually. This last front tire wore strangely. It didn't scallop. Instead the middle single knob has about 1/4" left on it. The two knobs between every single knob wore down to nothing. When I roll along under 10mph the bike feels like a pogo stick. I run the front about 18psi on the hwy and 15psi on the dirt. I have balanced the tire. Anyone else had this wear problem? Should I go back to the merchant or is that a lost cause? Thanks.

All my DOT knob front tires have worn like you describe. I usually run high pressures on the highway. 35lbs or more depending on how for to the next tire change.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 03:16 AM   #29350
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post
Jon - After about 4k miles on my WRR I mounted a Michelin T63 120/18 on the back and left the OEM front because it seemed to have plenty of knobs. The bike was in Arizona and I was trying to scout a section of the Great Western Trail called Camp Creek Wash. It is 13 miles of natural desert drainage between Carefree and Rio Verde. My goal was to see if it was big bike friendly and record a track log to share.

I tried twice riding the wash from the Bartlett Dam Road, but it was a struggle so I turned around after a couple miles. Then I rode around and attacked it from the other end. No better luck. The sand was deep and bermed up from the quads. The bike just wouldn't steer in it.

I thought about it for a day and mounted up my new T63 in the front and went back to try again. It took me about 30 minutes to go end to end, with no drama at all! What a difference a tire makes!

The next day I had a friend lead me down something called Turkey Creek. Sheesh!!! 9 water crossings and nuthin but rocks. Kicked my ass, but got through.

Not sure how the T63's are in the mud yet. I have another dual sport with new MT21's on it. I can say those things are really good in the mud.

The OEM tires just don't cut it in comparison. Also, the T63's are pretty soft so they are easy to mount by hand.
Thank you Pantah. My wife has T63s front and rear. I haven't tried them yet. The rear looks good, but the knobs on the T63 front seem awfully wide and not at all tall. I prefer a more aggressive front than rear, hence the thinking to use MT21 or Scorpion Pro front. We have lots of sand here, in which I am still not comfortable.
Old 06-26-2012, 03:31 AM   #29351
Sewerat
Cert. bike whore

Jon the wr does well in the sand. Just go faster and weight the back tire. You riding in the Ganny? If so my choice for tires would be the scorpion pro for front and trackmaster for the rear. The trackmaster is like a paddle tire in the sand and really gets you moving.
Old 06-26-2012, 06:12 AM   #29352
Shawnee Bill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,837
Quote:
I haven't dealt with RaceTech, but can tell you that Travis at GoRace has done many, many WR250Rs and is a great guy to deal with. The work he did on my bike was, BY FAR, the best money I've spent on the bike! The day I was there in 2010 he was unpacking WR-R forks and shocks from somewhere in the Far East (Singapore, Indonesia, or somewhere like that), to revalve and tune. He's done a lot of 'em.

RaceTech is probably good too, but I haven't dealt with them. I can guarantee you won't be sorry if you use Travis at GoRace.
I googled Go-race and google gives me this message page:
http://www.google.com/safebrowsing/d...id%3D162&hl=en

That's a malware warning with the last date tested of 2012-6-15. But since I'm on a iMac I tried to continue to the page but it appears to be down. Anyone have any other way of contacting Go-Race?

GL1800
FZ-1 For sale
Shawnee Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 06:41 AM   #29353
GSBS
FunHog

Oddometer: 3,827
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnee bill View Post
anyone have any other way of contacting go-race?

540-392-0696
GSBS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 06:44 AM   #29354
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sewerat View Post
Jon the wr does well in the sand. Just go faster and weight the back tire. You riding in the Ganny? If so my choice for tires would be the scorpion pro for front and trackmaster for the rear. The trackmaster is like a paddle tire in the sand and really gets you moving.
Have been to Ganny. Also Haliburton, and Simcoe County. All seem to have sandy areas. Trackmaster rear looks good too, but reading suggests short life on the pavement.
Old 06-26-2012, 08:06 AM   #29355
Sewerat
Cert. bike whore

I got 6-7000 kms from a $60 tire. I can get 8-9 k from a $110 tire. Price/km the kenda won in my books. My Mitas rear that I expect to get 10-15 kms from cost me $150. Again the math doesn't add up to not run the trackmasters