Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-03-2012, 09:12 AM   #29461
Sewerat
Cert. bike whore

Oddometer: 1,272
Just got back from a weekend of riding in PA. Absolutely loved it awesome roads and scenery. Just before I left took my chain off and cleaned/ oiled and checked it all out finding everything to be fine. Loaded up for travel rode there, lots in the area and then home. Approx 1800kms total for the weekend. Got off the bike last night only to find my chain excessively loose and my chain guard chewed all to hell. Now I have to replace that tonight along with a full service on the bike. Good thing I have a spare.

I'm guessing that with the addition of my extra gear for the weekend it overloaded the chain tension and took out the guard as I have had this guard on for about 15000kms and had very little if any wear up until this weekend.
Old 07-03-2012, 09:36 AM   #29462
pfy50
Professional nOOb

Oddometer: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sewerat View Post
Just got back from a weekend of riding in PA. Absolutely loved it awesome roads and scenery. Just before I left took my chain off and cleaned/ oiled and checked it all out finding everything to be fine. Loaded up for travel rode there, lots in the area and then home. Approx 1800kms total for the weekend. Got off the bike last night only to find my chain excessively loose and my chain guard chewed all to hell. Now I have to replace that tonight along with a full service on the bike. Good thing I have a spare.

I'm guessing that with the addition of my extra gear for the weekend it overloaded the chain tension and took out the guard as I have had this guard on for about 15000kms and had very little if any wear up until this weekend.
Hey Sewerat,

You sound like a good Advertisement for the daily walkaround; just like a pilot before taking his plane up; every morning before a days activities do the kick the tire routine, check the fluids and chain tension before heading out.
Soapbox over
pfy50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 11:14 AM   #29463
gloud
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by gloud View Post
I purchased a 2008 with 2700 miles from a fellow Inmate and since the plastic was scratched and gouged up I went another route- Old school,

Has anyone with the Warp 9's sets from ebay had any issues with the brake pulsing? my front is. going to measure today and see what the deal is.
Just an update on the Brake issue the folks who sold me the wheels on Ebay are sending me a new rotor No muss no fuss. Good customer service. (seller name moto-x-industries) they have been very responsive to emails.
gloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 11:19 AM   #29464
Rapid Dog
bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer: 9,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by gloud View Post
Just an update on the Brake issue the folks who sold me the wheels on Ebay are sending me a new rotor No muss no fuss. Good customer service. (seller name moto-x-industries) they have been very responsive to emails.
That's good to know. I'm pretty sure MotoX Industries is Warp9...

Rapid Dog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 11:29 AM   #29465
Rapid Dog
bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer: 9,080
Question Mt-43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawdaddy View Post
I've been running them front and rear on the WR for quite a while. Smoooooth on the road/hard pack rails. !
So you like these on say, Rowher-type trails, fire roads, and such?
How's the front feel, in a washout scenario?
How is the rear tire height say compared to a full knobbie?

I've been thinking about going back from D606 knobs to something milder like a Mefo or Heidinau.
Kinda torn because I occasionally get into sand situations exploring the Mojav'...

Rapid Dog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 11:34 AM   #29466
Sewerat
Cert. bike whore

Oddometer: 1,272
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfy50 View Post
Hey Sewerat,

You sound like a good Advertisement for the daily walkaround; just like a pilot before taking his plane up; every morning before a days activities do the kick the tire routine, check the fluids and chain tension before heading out.
Soapbox over
Sure but that was in two days it did that. Likely while riding home as it was fine when up there. I ride it enough I can feel when it's different and I felt a weird grind/vibration when I was enroute home.
Old 07-03-2012, 01:43 PM   #29467
bash3r
I ain't no DingWeed

Oddometer: 1,721
Clutch?!

Fellas.. looking for some feedback from the masses on your clutch... I'm over 10k miles and I've noticed recently with mine that when stopped, put it in 1st gear with clutch pulled in I can slightly feel it engage... so I put my bike up on the stand... pulled in the clutch and thrown it in 1st gear.. the wheel starts spinning... not full spin like with clutch is released completely..

I first noticed this when I rolled my WR around the garage, it was in gear so I pulled the clutch in and noticed it was catching more than I remember....

After I ride for a while it seems this symptom lessens but still doesn't seem right. I've played around with clutch adjustments at my lever but doesn't really make anything get better.. what's your guys take on that? Anything I'm missing on adjustment? Oil levels also are good...

Adventure Tshirts | 3 Step Hideaway |Campground POIs
bash3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 02:36 PM   #29468
gloud
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 158
When was your last Oil change? Mine was notchy until I did an oil change. much better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bash3r View Post
Fellas.. looking for some feedback from the masses on your clutch... I'm over 10k miles and I've noticed recently with mine that when stopped, put it in 1st gear with clutch pulled in I can slightly feel it engage... so I put my bike up on the stand... pulled in the clutch and thrown it in 1st gear.. the wheel starts spinning... not full spin like with clutch is released completely..

I first noticed this when I rolled my WR around the garage, it was in gear so I pulled the clutch in and noticed it was catching more than I remember....

After I ride for a while it seems this symptom lessens but still doesn't seem right. I've played around with clutch adjustments at my lever but doesn't really make anything get better.. what's your guys take on that? Anything I'm missing on adjustment? Oil levels also are good...
gloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 03:53 PM   #29469
Jungle Man
frenzied adventurer

Oddometer: 406
The clutch baskets can get worn and begin to groove where the plates mate; when these groves get deep enough, some of the friction plates may not want to move from side to side. If your looking at it, it's easy to tell. I used google images to get an idea of how worn out people's clutch baskets got when my old 2 stroke did something similar. I just image searched "worn clutch basket"
"If you're too busy to hunt and fish, you're too busy"
Jase-Duck Dynasty
Jungle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 04:03 PM   #29470
Jungle Man
frenzied adventurer

I just got an ims 4.7 gallon tank from a fellow inmate. I bought $3.80 worth of adhesive vinyl sheets and made some decals for it. I think it improves it greatly even with just my simple graphics. We'll see how well it holds up to abuse, and I botched a sticker so it is more like $6 worth of vinyl. It was on sale.

Jase-Duck Dynasty
Old 07-03-2012, 04:09 PM   #29471
johnnyadventurepants
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungle Man View Post
I just got an ims 4.7 gallon tank from a fellow inmate. I bought $3.80 worth of adhesive vinyl sheets and made some decals for it. I think it improves it greatly even with just my simple graphics. We'll see how well it holds up to abuse, and I botched a sticker so it is more like $6 worth of vinyl. It was on sale.

The escaping fumes from the tank will bubble up the decals.

Signed, Another Washington guy with a WR250X/R with a 4.7 white tank who put decals on it.
Old 07-03-2012, 04:33 PM   #29472
sieg
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,693
Quote:

Bash3r, Google "79 cent clutch fix" I've done this to all my WR's, 5 of them so far. I'm getting a new WRR next week and guessing I will need to do it to that one too.

Current bikes F800GS-EXCF350-Versys-690R-RZ350
sieg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 04:54 PM   #29473
jglow
Two wheeled traveler

Oddometer: 390
Quote:

Bill,

I noticed the exact same thing with my bike. I used to be able to push it around in gear with the clutch pulled in, but now there is resistance when in gear with the clutch pulled in. I've never noticed a change in where the clutch would engage/disengage during use though . Not that it helps you, but maybe there is a little peace of mind from knowing there are others with the same symptoms.

jordan
jglow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 05:39 PM   #29474
Jungle Man
frenzied adventurer

johneyadventurepants, post a pic if you can, it's always fun to see similar setups. It's amazing how different even the same bike can be setup.
Jase-Duck Dynasty
Old 07-03-2012, 05:55 PM   #29475
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,977
Update: found some hardware, got the rack painted and mounted, looks great. Thanks to Gord (the seller), and to Doug (the manual) and everyone for help on this forum:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_l View Post
I bought a used rack with hardware missing / modified / not sure (specifically the 2 long bolts toward the rear). The bolts I have are way too short, and came with a locknut, which I don't think I should need, as the rack looks like it mounts to 2 welded nuts on the frame under the fender (sure hope so, since I drill 2 holes in my fender there).

It would be easier if I know what I need before I start looking for parts. Looks like I need two 6mm x 65 or 70 mm button socket cap screws, with maybe a spacer between the fender and sub frame?

Thank you.

This is the rear-most bolt assy. I have:

jon_l screwed with this post 07-03-2012 at 06:08 PM
jon_l is offline   Reply With Quote