Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-04-2012, 04:17 PM   #29506
Pantah
Patriot Nation?

Oddometer: 10,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by philp38 View Post
Just wondering..I have a 40 mile ride to work (30 of it highway). Will the WR250R go 70 or is it pretty much topped out with the stock gearing? Thanks
Top speed for me is low 90's on my GPS. It seems happy to run GPS 70, but I generally am cruising 62-67. If I hit a grade dragging me to 60, I downshift and bring her back up. If happens again in 5th gear, I go to 4th and bring her back up. No problem. The bike revs well. You can run it wide open a lot, which we do when we are climbing grades or facing headwinds on the plains. Basically I try and run her 70mph indicated on the highway at all times. That will be an actual low 60's.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 04:56 PM   #29507
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Oddometer: 2,093
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Bob View Post
I just went out and looked up my WR's skirt. No idea what the two empty bolt holes on the tab are for. Maybe they designed a pipe hanger there and changed their minds. The right corner looking from the back on mine is silver heat tape shielding. Otherwise, its the same as both pics - except clean.
Took mine to the car wash earlier. Looks the same. I don't think you are missing anything.
jgiacobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 04:58 PM   #29508
jkstehn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
Quote:
Just wondering..I have a 40 mile ride to work (30 of it highway). Will the WR250R go 70 or is it pretty much topped out with the stock gearing? Thanks
I ride the LA freeways at 65 to 75 for about an hour each way to and from the mountain trail riding areas with no problems. Caught a slight downhill and tailwind in blazing fast traffic a few days ago and had the throttle on the stop for about 10 minutes trying to hang with traffic until I could get over to the "slow" lane. 86.9 mph is my new GPS top speed. Stock 13-43 gearing, probably 250lbs rider and tools, tubes, water with Safari tank (more drag?). 67 to 70 is comfortable.

I think that if the gears were 13-45 or 47, then the engine RPM could go higher in 6th before you ran out of steam and possibly obtain a slightly higher top speed.

Jon

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

jkstehn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 08:37 PM   #29509
Cowgirl
Cougar on the prowl

Oddometer: 3,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfy50 View Post
I assume you don't have the original key code chit that came with the key set so your dealer should be able use your full VIN# and make a key if he has equipment or get one sent from Yamaha. It will be cheaper than getting a new ignition, gas cap and helmet lock replaced!!
Thanks for the reply! I had the most fortuitous thing happen. I emailed the guy I bought the bike from and he had the extra key! He came across it some time in the last couple of months and had put it aside for me. I met up with him today, picked up the key and had 2 copies made Back in business!
A Cougar goes racing
Lead me not into temptation ............ just follow me, I know a short-cut.
Cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 09:03 PM   #29510
HighFive
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,711
Quote:
Originally Posted by bash3r View Post
Thx a ton HF for sharing your wisdom here! Let me tell you, you just caused me to remember that before my ride down to Mississippi (and how come you weren't there??), I CHANGED my oil in both ways.. fresh oil and different brand. I went from the blue bottle at Walmart to Castrol GTX. Running the blue I never noticed this issue and I also noticed during my last ride neutral gave me fits here and there. Not too alarming but enough that I noticed.

Now, would you suggest I switch back or change the oil and put another dose of Castrol in?

My bike definitely still reacts/feels fine when I'm riding, no issues at all,

Basher
Myself....I wouldn't worry about it and bother dumping out good oil. The GTX doesn't (shouldn't) have any additives that will swell your fiber plates. So, its probably not the oil. But, I think I would change back to what you used previously at your next planned oil change....just to see if it makes a noticeable difference in the issue.

Another option to consider: lay the bike over on its side with the clutch cover facing upward. Remove the cover and inspect the plates. You can take them out fairly easily....6 bolts if I remember correctly. Be sure to keep track of the order of things and reinstall exactly the same. Remove the plates and inspect each one....clean them with a rag (no solvent). Look to see if any of the fiber is becoming disbonded from the plates. That could cause some grabbing in the clutch action. You'll have to look very carefully, as this would be very small amount. If it were a large amount, the whole fiber would rip off the plate and wad up inside your clutch and run thru your gear box.....it'd get chewed up and spit out, most likely.

I doubt you'll see any problems, but who knows. Its a possibility to consider if you notice your engagement situation getting worse. Laying the bike on its side, let's you do this inspection without losing your oil. But, its always a good idea to have a spare clutch cover gasket on hand, before attempting....in case you tear the original during removal. They are often stuck to the cover or case somewhere.

I read BigDog's RR on your trip at his website. Looks like you had a grand time of it. Me....I'm not retired yet. Probably never will be.

HF
Athena Big Bore Project
HighFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 09:32 PM   #29511
pfy50
Professional nOOb

Oddometer: 466
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowgirl View Post
Thanks for the reply! I had the most fortuitous thing happen. I emailed the guy I bought the bike from and he had the extra key! He came across it some time in the last couple of months and had put it aside for me. I met up with him today, picked up the key and had 2 copies made Back in business!
Hey Cowgirl,
Glad it worked out. Within a week of getting my new bike in April I had lost my set on one key ring; luckly I had put the spare key on a separate key ring as backup. So I got 2 more blanks and made more copies and placed them in strategic locations just in case.
pfy50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 10:04 PM   #29512
bash3r
I ain't no DingWeed

Oddometer: 1,709
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFive View Post
Myself....I wouldn't worry about it and bother dumping out good oil. The GTX doesn't (shouldn't) have any additives that will swell your fiber plates. So, its probably not the oil. But, I think I would change back to what you used previously at your next planned oil change....just to see if it makes a noticeable difference in the issue.

I read BigDog's RR on your trip at his website. Looks like you had a grand time of it. Me....I'm not retired yet. Probably never will be.

HF
Thanks HF, I have a ride coming up in 9 days so I'm going to keep an eye on it, I'll probably switch oil back and just see.. just for the heck of it, kinda curious how it reacts.

I'll keep you posted .... for sure!

Yea we had a great ride, BigDog's a class act...a good friend indeed! getting to know Sam was awesome too, and to hear how he's been re-routing sections of the TAT. He's retired and very passionate about re-routing a few different sections of the TAT, both east & west. Anyone who's gonna ride it, make sure you look for the new routes, I know TN and MS are done, I rode some of both of them while down there.. we are going to get another ride in after it cools down!!

ADV Gear | 3 Step Hideaway |Campground POIs
bash3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 04:24 AM   #29513
ADVCoop
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 771
Quote:
I commute everyday on my WRR. It does 70-75 easily with my 215#'s on it. I generally ride in the 60's though because that grants me better mpg and I am chea...errr...frugal and like to get the best mpg I can while commuting .
Old 07-05-2012, 06:34 AM   #29514
jglow
Two wheeled traveler

Oddometer: 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by bash3r View Post
Jordan, when we getting a ride in.. maybe this fall?! a Arkansas trip or something

Sounds like a plan . Maybe I'll get in on some of the new Eastern TAT sections with you in the fall ?

Jordan
jglow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 06:59 AM   #29515
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Oddometer: 6,827
I am potentially having some chain slider issues, and currently have a 12T front sprocket. I of course have always been on the side that its a chain maintainance issue/ slack issue, when the slider gets worn. I keep my chains very clean, and always have plenty of slack.

Now that I have the 300 EXC for a dedicated woods bike, I have started doing longer dual sport type rides. After last one, about 90 miles, I noticed what I thought was drops of chain lube. BUT, they also looked very much like little specs of worn plastic. I inspected the slider and saw it was a little more worn that usual. I am gonna pull off and get a better look.

13/43(stock) = 3.31
12/45 = 3.75 (now)
13/45 = 3.46

I had gone to a 12T in front for more grunt, and then as I started getting faster, I wanted 2nd gear to have more grunt and more " loft the front wheel" ability, so I went to the 45 rear. This was important, since I did not wanna buy a new chain as well.

Now, I am thinking about going back to a 13T front, but keep the 45T rear.
Question: Will it fit with stock length chain( probably slightly worn)???
DougZ73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 09:06 AM   #29516
Sewerat
Cert. bike whore

Oddometer: 1,264
I'm running a 13/47 with a 110 chain. It's adjusted about 3 hash marks into the marks so close to the frame. I'd think you should be fine with 13/45. I can fit 12,13,14 all on no problem.
Old 07-05-2012, 11:11 AM   #29517
Rider_WV
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,222
13/43 is stock so 13/45 on a stock length chain, especially a used one, shouldnt be an issue at all.
Rider_WV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 11:38 AM   #29518
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Oddometer: 6,827
OK, thanks guys. Looks like the stock 13 might be going back on.
DougZ73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 01:28 PM   #29519
bash3r
I ain't no DingWeed

Oddometer: 1,709
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougZ73 View Post
OK, thanks guys. Looks like the stock 13 might be going back on.
I"m 10K+ miles and still on first chain slider... I run 13/47 + 110 chain and thus far haven't wore through or come close yet... I know some are on their 3rd and 4th!

ADV Gear | 3 Step Hideaway |Campground POIs
bash3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 01:30 PM   #29520
MoBill
Smiles when says dat

Oddometer: 13,457
Agree on 13/47, not that you need it but I run 112 links...still on the first slider, a few grooves on it, but nothing serious.

I do the HF method (thank you) for adjusting.

Good to remind once in a while--I forget the gearing, and have to look.
MoBill is offline   Reply With Quote