Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-13-2012, 02:58 PM   #29611
Just Bob
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 254
I tried a few tanks of regular gas after hearing that, because of its naturally higher 130 octane rating, premium in Australia has more ethanol to raise the octane. Don't know about here in the US. I usually run premium just to avoid possible knock damage from our bike's higher 12 1/5 compression ratio.
Old 07-13-2012, 03:32 PM   #29612
Mr. Fisherman
oneandahalfassed

Oddometer: 10,357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_PDX View Post
Bummer Mr. Fisherman.

Did some searching for you and could find anything definitive. I'd have your spare Fed-X'd then deal with it when you are back home. Some useful links for on the road though:

Japan Recall (Translated): http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ja&tl=en&u=http://www.yamaha-motor.co.jp/recall/mc/campaign/2009-05/fuel-pump/index.html

Thumper Talk:
1-800-962-7926 per a poster on TT. http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/sho...803090&page=11

When you call, remind Yamaha the pump is covered under the Emissions Warranty, regardless of age or mileage.

Take the time to read back thru this thread and the TT thread, take notes so you'll have the facts at hand. Write down the name and number of whoever you talk to. Please let us know how it goes. Good luck!

Other (Oct 2011):
Yamaha just replaced mine under warranty last week. I printed off the Japanese recall linked earlier in this thread, took it in and politely talked to the service manager at my local dealer. He took my info, name, address, VIN, and mileage, and said he would contact Yamaha and get back to me. I kind of half way expected not to hear back but recieved a phone call in about an hour, he said that Yamaha was going to cover it and he would order the pump and let me know when it came in. They called about a week later, I dropped the bike off on my way to work and picked it up on the way home.

I'm not the original owner, bike was not originally purchased at the dealership I took it to for service work, bike only has 2400 miles on it, I have never been into the service dept of the dealership but am on a first name basis with the parts dept from various other purchases over the years. Don't know if any of those things mattered or not as far as special policy coverage on my bike, but Yamaha took care of me and I'm happy.

Hopefully somebody else can step up with some more recent information so you can continue your tour.

Thanks for the help and Skeird for the PM.

I have it sorted and a replacement is on the way.
Mr. Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 04:37 PM   #29613
scoprire
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 173
I realize that this really isn't the right place to post this, but I figured I've gotten so much info from this thread.... yeah, the one that convinced me to get my WR...... that I'd give you all 1st chance at this before it hits the classifieds.

I have access to a few toys, so I get playing around w/ ideas even if I don't really need the end result. So...... These keychains are all leather engraved and cut on a laser engraver. #1 -3 have a titanium tube where the ring goes thru to make it last longer. #1 is the natural finish, #2 has been dyed, #3-4 are factory dyed. #1 is Yamaha logo on both sides. #2 is world map on one, Yamaha on the other. #3-4 are the same except for the tube reinforcing the ring; they are the world map w/ an ADV.

Anyone wants one, send me $5 for shipping and I'll send it to you USPS priority mail. Just send me PM w/ which one you want, and I'll send you paypal info. If someone actually likes them and they are all taken, I'll take the pic down, so if the pic is displayed, at least one is still available. Lets play nice and stick to one per person.

My way of giving back to the thread.

Looks like #1 and #2 are spoken for.

No one can see you posing in a blizzard.

scoprire screwed with this post 07-13-2012 at 07:34 PM
scoprire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 07:05 PM   #29614
Rapid Dog
bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer: 8,880
unique and cool, I'll take 1 and 2...
'81 R100RS Rattlecandy Red
'06 950 ADV Orangeboom
91 R100GSPD Derelict

Rapid Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 07:15 PM   #29615
skierd
Wannabe Far-Rider

Oddometer: 2,775
Of course you do... PM sent regardless.
skierd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 07:26 PM   #29616
Rapid Dog
bikes, booze, broads...

...hey...I'm gifting...or is it re-gifting...
'06 950 ADV Orangeboom
91 R100GSPD Derelict

Old 07-14-2012, 05:37 AM   #29617
ADVCoop
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 762
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoprire View Post
I Lets play nice and stick to one per person.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid Dog View Post
unique and cool, I'll take 1 and 2...
You're breaking the rules
Old 07-14-2012, 05:44 AM   #29618
scoprire
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
You're breaking the rules
Yeah I know. He said he was going to give one to a friend,and I was feeling generous.

Old 07-14-2012, 06:54 AM   #29619
Rapid Dog
bikes, booze, broads...

...sorry, didn't realize scopy only had one of each. But thanks anyhow.
mikeysduck will be happy with one.
'06 950 ADV Orangeboom
91 R100GSPD Derelict

Old 07-14-2012, 12:34 PM   #29620
scoprire
Gnarly Adventurer

OK, so maybe I should explain a little. I'm working a little side job that has a laser engraver. I can't ever seem to just test material and settings by making a square. So.... I get ideas for something and if it comes out right, at least I can use the end result.

So the keychains were the result of some testing w/ materials and settings on the engraver. When I posted this, the 4 were all I had; I should have made that more clear. But...... I had to do some real work on the engraver today, so while I was there I cut another of the #2 style. I've already PMd Skierd in case he still wants it.

I have no intention of trying to make any $$ selling these things. This was just that I had a couple that came out decent, I wasn't going to use them and thought someone else might like them. I'm not about to get into a pissing match w/ anyone because I'm selling stuff w/ their logo.

So far, all I've used has been scrap leather from the local Tandy, so it's been cheap. The rest of the stuff (ie rings, dye, glue) were leftovers from other projects. If I had to start buying all the bits it would end up costing more than most people would want to spend on a keychain. The $5 I asked for these was just to cover the USPS shipping cost

With all that said...... I can really make these things any time I want. The designs were something that I thought might look good. Anyone has an idea for one, let me know. All I have to do is make up a drawing and get some material. That also means that they can be personalized.

If someone wants something specific, PM me and we can discuss it. But I really have no plans to make this an ongoing thing.

Now if you want to see some cool ideas.... do a search for LED edge lighting. Or here is one I did. The original pic was taken by my mother when she lived in OH. It's engraved into 3/8 acrylic and lit w/ 3 LEDS. Seeing as the pic was taken in OH, I thought it fitting that the base is made from buckeye. http://phardy.indbelt.com/gallery3/i...p/Projects/owl

Old 07-14-2012, 08:19 PM   #29621
SoilSampleDave
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,328
I just picked up a new-to-me 2008 WR250R with some nice mods already. I really like almost everything about it, but I would definitely like a front brake that is more of a one finger KTM powerful front brake. I thought about trying some better pads before opting for a larger rotor setup. The pads from AP brakes seem to do the job on a DRZ, but their website doesn't show any for the WR-R. Any suggestions?

'13 350EXC-F
SoilSampleDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 08:29 PM   #29622
MoBill
Smiles when says dat

Oddometer: 13,166
I replaced my fronts with a set of KBC Sintered I think they were called...now, I think changing a washer makes the bike feel awesome--but I felt a lot more grab...could just be me--
MoBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 09:06 PM   #29623
Mr. Fisherman
oneandahalfassed

Oddometer: 10,357
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoilSampleDave View Post
I just picked up a new-to-me 2008 WR250R with some nice mods already. I really like almost everything about it, but I would definitely like a front brake that is more of a one finger KTM powerful front brake. I thought about trying some better pads before opting for a larger rotor setup. The pads from AP brakes seem to do the job on a DRZ, but their website doesn't show any for the WR-R. Any suggestions?
Part of why I bought an X
Mr. Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 09:23 AM   #29624
Daamud
AAAAAYYY!

Oddometer: 1,989
Added a some aux. power plugs.

Cheap water restant plug from auto parts store. Bracket made from a chunk of flooring trim. Washers will be replaced with stainless ones of proper size. Wired into my battery tender circuit, that is fused at the battery.

Also added a short chunk of conduit to the silencer. So hopefully my cheap Wally World dry bag don't melt.
Old 07-15-2012, 11:18 AM   #29625
Crawdaddy
Navigate 2 Adventure

Oddometer: 2,161
That's better........

I remapped the FMF Fuel Programmer Friday night and took the WR"290"R for a local ~200 mile spin yesterday.....

I should've checked on the programer settings when I got it back from the shop after installing the Athena kit.....looks lke they fiddled with the settings.......and punted.......they made no sense.......

I set it to the Dobeck/FMF guidelines for 290cc with exhaust and airbox modification:

Green 5, Yellow 4, Red 4, Green/Blue 0.5, Yellow/Blue 3, Red/Blue 4.

It ran much stronger than it did after the first "290" ride two weeks earlier......that said, I'm still concerned that I may be a bit lean on fuel delivery after talking to Dobeck Performance (they make the fuel programmer for FMF).....the older programmers like mine are not set up with the range to handle the 290 kit but the newer models do have the capacity (the settings above are for FMF programmers built after Sept 2010)......so I'm sending my fuel programmer to Montana (Dobeck) when I return from the Flying Monkey Rally in Utah ( http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=766096 ) .......they'll update the firmware which will allow the programmer to squirt a tad more fuel....I had planned on sending it to Montana tomorrow but I don't want to run the risk of not having it returned by Wed......I was was told it'll work fine short term......it's just not "optimum" without the new firmware....

Many thanks to MtnTrals for flagging the issue in a PM and putting me in touch with Dobeck - Thanks again Jim
http://www.WhereAmIRiding.com
Crawdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote