Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-05-2012, 07:31 AM   #29911
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,821
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLghtning View Post
So I finally sold my 2009 Husky TE-610 and now shopping for a nice WR250R. Although I'm half considering buying an X model just to get the black frame and then put dirt wheels on it.

So I found one for sale that is pretty nicely setup, but the guy has it listed as a 2007 model and I even wrote him to ask if that was correct and he said it was? I wondered if he was just going by the year on the VIN sticker on the bike as they frequently will say the year earlier than the title since normally a 2008 model was built in 2007. I thought about asking for a copy of the title to verify for sure. I wasn't sure if maybe there was a handful of later 2007 models when this bike first came out?

Its listed under Nashville CL if you want to take a look at the ad and bike. It looks like a WR250R and not the WR250F.
No WRR before 2008.

That is a WRR though, so he must have the year wrong.

Seems expensive, though he has some nice accessories on it.
Old 08-05-2012, 07:33 AM   #29912
rickcj7
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 460
looks like some other great deals at the yard sale.
its a wrr, how many miles and what farkles?
no 2007 just 2008 up

WR250R sold
FE450E sold
XT, NX, KLX, KLR, DR all long gone.
rickcj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 07:38 AM   #29913
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,844
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_l View Post
No WRR before 2008.

That is a WRR though, so he must have the year wrong.

Seems expensive, though he has some nice accessories on it.
Yeah, its setup nice, but he does seem high too from what I've seen out there. That is the Safari tank which is a great tank, but I think I still want the IMS 4.7 for that extra gallon.
Smugmug Pics - Save $5 <-- Click Here
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 08:23 AM   #29914
Sproat Sport
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
I had the same thing happen to me on my KLR. A stick punctured the sight glass. As soon as I noticed it I shut the motor off and I huffed/pushed that thing out of the bush (nightmare!)...as I was afraid I'd run out of oil as it was spraying out of that hole at quite a rate. Took it to the shop and had them clean out the shards of glass. Mechanic said it could have been bad news had I run the motor enough to churn those glass pieces through the motor. Might be something for you to consider.
Sproat Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 08:38 AM   #29915
scottmac
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,502
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLghtning View Post
So I finally sold my 2009 Husky TE-610 and now shopping for a nice WR250R. Although I'm half considering buying an X model just to get the black frame and then put dirt wheels on it.

So I found one for sale that is pretty nicely setup, but the guy has it listed as a 2007 model and I even wrote him to ask if that was correct and he said it was? I wondered if he was just going by the year on the VIN sticker on the bike as they frequently will say the year earlier than the title since normally a 2008 model was built in 2007. I thought about asking for a copy of the title to verify for sure. I wasn't sure if maybe there was a handful of later 2007 models when this bike first came out?

Its listed under Nashville CL if you want to take a look at the ad and bike. It looks like a WR250R and not the WR250F.
I think you're right about the 07 VIN but actually sold in 08. The dealer had to order a WRR for me when I put my down
payment on it in March 08. They were just barely out in the showrooms back then.
scottmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 09:27 AM   #29916
Serevince
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Gearing suggestions for putting around? At low speed e.g. Chilling along a unfamiliar trail (or doing the cone weave).

I feel like I'm either searching for the 1.5 gear or really working the clutch. I'm a newb though, just me or anyone else?

Thanks

Vince

What is newer than a newb? Whatever you call it that's me. Never ridden, but my life list was getting too short so here I am looking for advice, and whatever comes my way!
Serevince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 09:39 AM   #29917
xy500
Loser

Oddometer: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickcj7 View Post
no 2007 just 2008 up
Mine is a December 2007 on the papers.
Old 08-05-2012, 09:44 AM   #29918
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Obviously an 07 build, 08 model year.

Wife's car is the same, VIN date 07, title says 08.
Old 08-05-2012, 09:50 AM   #29919
pfy50
Professional nOOb

Oddometer: 449
Quote:
Originally Posted by oxygenrace View Post
I just got a new Garmin Montana 650 with the AMPS Rugged Mount/cradle with power. I want to wire the cradle to the bike so it gets power when the bike is running but no power when it is off (i.e. not directly to the battery). Any one done something like this, maybe for heated grips or something. Photos of the wire you spliced into would be great.
oxygenrace,

Are you intending to leave the Montana mounted all the time? If yes and you are not going to get a security lock you can wire it to the 3rd line from the left in the fuse box, it is a backup fuse(#59 on diagram in tech man.); red with green mark wire. Or a straight to the battery with a fused power lead and a SPST switch on the ground lead. I have a Tourtech lockable mount so it can stay in during the day; then removed at night for extra security; power stays on so I don't have to wait for satellite re-acquirement every gas or food stop.
pfy50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 01:19 PM   #29920
alansz400
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 854
Look what I found.

There is nothing holding the window in. It has rubber on the outside kinda like a oil seal has but was real easy to push in. I pushed it out and put some silicon gasket maker on it to help hold it in.

New oil, oil filter, antifreeze and rear brake pads and good to go.

alansz400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 01:28 PM   #29921
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansz400 View Post

New oil, oil filter, antifreeze and rear brake pads and good to go.
Good to go as soon as you add this:

Old 08-05-2012, 02:45 PM   #29922
tmotten
Lefthand ride Dutchy

Oddometer: 2,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serevince View Post
Gearing suggestions for putting around? At low speed e.g. Chilling along a unfamiliar trail (or doing the cone weave).

I feel like I'm either searching for the 1.5 gear or really working the clutch. I'm a newb though, just me or anyone else?

Thanks

Vince
I've noticed the same thing. I've only just got it so am still working the thing out, but the second gear is way to high from the first. So it's either rev it's guts out going slowly up a hill or labour the thing up in second till the speed comes in at the middle rev range.

If you go higher in the front sprocket you wear the chain guide I think. Not sure what I'll do yet. Has anyone found a suitable compromise? I'm not worried about top end speed. It hits 100kph in fifth and the speed limit here is 110kph, so no worries there.
tmotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 02:50 PM   #29923
oxygenrace
Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 64
Wiring a Garmin Montana to a WR250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfy50 View Post
oxygenrace,

Are you intending to leave the Montana mounted all the time? If yes and you are not going to get a security lock you can wire it to the 3rd line from the left in the fuse box, it is a backup fuse(#59 on diagram in tech man.); red with green mark wire. Or a straight to the battery with a fused power lead and a SPST switch on the ground lead. I have a Tourtech lockable mount so it can stay in during the day; then removed at night for extra security; power stays on so I don't have to wait for satellite re-acquirement every gas or food stop.
I would like to have it mounted all the time. I plan to mount the rugged powered cradle to a britannia lynx fairing dashboard in the future. This way it would be secure when parked with the torx locking screw. I hadn't thought about losing gps signal when turning the power off, I suppose it could run off battery when the power is cut. So did you wire it right to the battery then? The cradle came with an inline fuse.
oxygenrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 04:06 PM   #29924
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 10,492
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_l View Post
Good to go as soon as you add this:

It sure doesn't look like anything broke the glass in, seems like it just slipped down. Not sure how the ears on a skidplate would prevent that?

My Smugmug Galleries
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 04:50 PM   #29925
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeefZah View Post
It sure doesn't look like anything broke the glass in, seems like it just slipped down. Not sure how the ears on a skidplate would prevent that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansz400 View Post
I dont think I hit anything but I guess I could have. My rear brake was not working like it should and when I got off the bike to clean the grass off the brake pedal I saw the window was misssing.
I wouldn't ride off road without a skid plate regardless of the sight-glass issue. But with the sight-glass issue + the brake pedal getting fouled, I think it would be prudent to a install skid plate and a maybe a brake snake too.