Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-05-2012, 05:34 PM   #29926
MoBill
Smiles when says dat

Oddometer: 13,385
Agreed...I was talking about it today. cause or not--no skidplate, no off highway. You want to be stacking those odds, not playing them IMO.

MoBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 05:41 PM   #29927
alansz400
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 852
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_l View Post
I wouldn't ride off road without a skid plate regardless of the sight-glass issue. But with the sight-glass issue + the brake pedal getting fouled, I think it would be prudent to a install skid plate and a maybe a brake snake too.

Brake pedal was not fouled the disk and pads were cover in oil so the brakes would not work. Doesn't look like the bike in the picture was ever rode off road.
alansz400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 05:50 PM   #29928
easy_dualsport
Easy E

Oddometer: 382
AMPS Rugged Mount Montana - Switched Power

I have a 650T, and researched this myself. I used the Eastern Beaver 3 circuit solution and tapped into the bulb side of the license plate circuit to get the switched power. There are a few posts I made on the WR250 forum as well, search on "AMPS Rugged Mount" or "tapping into switched power". Here is the picture of the circuit, courtesy ADVCoop/Coop here and on the other forum:

Find the yellow connector, verify that when the bike is "ON" position the lamp lights. Disconnect, verify it is not on. You have the right wires, they are under the black tube wire protector. Tap into on the bulb side of the connector on the blue wire.

Love having the 650 on my WR. With the stock tank and limited range, it really opens us the world to you. You know were you are when you need fuel and don't worry so much about getting disoriented.

Good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxygenrace View Post
I just got a new Garmin Montana 650 with the AMPS Rugged Mount/cradle with power. I want to wire the cradle to the bike so it gets power when the bike is running but no power when it is off (i.e. not directly to the battery). Any one done something like this, maybe for heated grips or something. Photos of the wire you spliced into would be great.

Raleigh, NC
ZR-7 2000
WR250R 2010
easy_dualsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 06:29 PM   #29929
Heoz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLghtning View Post
...but the guy has it listed as a 2007 model...WR250F.
I've had two people tell me they had 2007 models. They were on other toys at the time so I never got to look at the bikes. Model year is digit 10 of the VIN #. 7=2007, 8=2008. It's a bit hard to see in the pictures but that bash plate looks like it covers the coolant hose. Custom made bash plate?
Heoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 10:28 PM   #29930
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 10,469
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansz400 View Post
Doesn't look like the bike in the picture was ever rode off road.
Well neither has yours, ya pussy.

My Smugmug Galleries
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 02:33 AM   #29931
xy500
Loser

Oddometer: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_l View Post
Obviously an 07 build, 08 model year.

Wife's car is the same, VIN date 07, title says 08.
No, like i said - papers say model 2007. Built 2007, registered december 2007.
A motorbike cannot be registered without even being in the country...

xy500 screwed with this post 08-06-2012 at 02:39 AM
xy500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 05:02 AM   #29932
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 10,071
That is a WRR, but there is no way the fellow has $9k invested. The bike new was about $5k and other than the tank ($400), the other farkles are not expensive. Something fishy about the seller.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLghtning View Post
So I finally sold my 2009 Husky TE-610 and now shopping for a nice WR250R. Although I'm half considering buying an X model just to get the black frame and then put dirt wheels on it.

So I found one for sale that is pretty nicely setup, but the guy has it listed as a 2007 model and I even wrote him to ask if that was correct and he said it was? I wondered if he was just going by the year on the VIN sticker on the bike as they frequently will say the year earlier than the title since normally a 2008 model was built in 2007. I thought about asking for a copy of the title to verify for sure. I wasn't sure if maybe there was a handful of later 2007 models when this bike first came out?

Its listed under Nashville CL if you want to take a look at the ad and bike. It looks like a WR250R and not the WR250F.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 06:39 AM   #29933
z@ch
Turn it up to eleven

Oddometer: 4,682
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post
That is a WRR, but there is no way the fellow has $9k invested. The bike new was about $5k and other than the tank ($400), the other farkles are not expensive. Something fishy about the seller.
If the guy paid full MSRP+ Tax, he's at ~$6300
Plus hand guards, Corbin seat, Safari tank, OEM tail rack, Saddle bag racks, skid plate, yamalink, and maybe more.

I bet you get pretty close to $9k if you total all that up.

But judging by the background of the photo, the dude is a serial buyer/seller permanent yardsale kinda guy. Some truths are not so truthy with guys like that... Who puts a knobby on a bike that was "never off road"?
z@ch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 07:46 AM   #29934
pfy50
Professional nOOb

Oddometer: 449
Quote:
Originally Posted by oxygenrace View Post
I would like to have it mounted all the time. I plan to mount the rugged powered cradle to a britannia lynx fairing dashboard in the future. This way it would be secure when parked with the torx locking screw. I hadn't thought about losing gps signal when turning the power off, I suppose it could run off battery when the power is cut. So did you wire it right to the battery then? The cradle came with an inline fuse.
Yes, oxygenrace; the problem is if you do not use a physical electrical cut off like a switch the GPS will continue to draw power from your cycle battery to keep the lithium ion smart battery in the Montana charged (assuming it is simliar to my Zumo GPS). Over time when your cycle battery starts to get old and does not hold a charge overnight like it use to the gps can actually draw down your cycle battery(usually not by itself) to a point where it is not dead but will not have the >11.8 volts to get your bike kicked over in the morning(ask me how I know) so the switch will keep the circuit isolated until you want to use it(like when your out for the day). Also things like switches,diodes and relays isolate your GPS circuit from start up surge if you are wired battery direct( so start the bike up then switch on the GPS).
pfy50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 07:48 AM   #29935
Shawnee Bill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,889
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansz400 View Post
Doesn't look like the bike in the picture was ever rode off road.
Zing!

Maybe, maybe not, at any rate a skid plate is very cheap insurance if you even jump a curb. There's just too much high dollar stuff hanging out there that can be busted.

GL1800
FZ-1 For sale
Shawnee Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 09:15 AM   #29936
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 10,071
The bike wasn't $6300 in 2008...It was around $5k I am pretty sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by z@ch View Post
If the guy paid full MSRP+ Tax, he's at ~$6300
Plus hand guards, Corbin seat, Safari tank, OEM tail rack, Saddle bag racks, skid plate, yamalink, and maybe more.

I bet you get pretty close to $9k if you total all that up.

But judging by the background of the photo, the dude is a serial buyer/seller permanent yardsale kinda guy. Some truths are not so truthy with guys like that... Who puts a knobby on a bike that was "never off road"?
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 09:36 AM   #29937
z@ch
Turn it up to eleven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post
The bike wasn't $6300 in 2008...It was around $5k I am pretty sure.
MSRP was $5899, $5999 for the X

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/350/13...---wr250r.aspx
Old 08-06-2012, 09:39 AM   #29938
Heoz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by xy500 View Post
No, like i said - papers say model 2007. Built 2007, registered december 2007.
A motorbike cannot be registered without even being in the country...
A few thoughts: People doing paperwork never make mistakes. I've never seen parts fiche for a 2007 model year WRR/X. Perhaps if I was in Australia..?

My 2009 model was manufactured 8/08. 10th digit of vin is 9 (2009 model). I'm inclined to go with the model year as specified by Yamaha as the 10th digit of the VIN.

Is it just me or does the end of that tailpipe look really odd on the for sale 2007(8)?
Heoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 09:56 AM   #29939
z@ch
Turn it up to eleven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heoz View Post
Is it just me or does the end of that tailpipe look really odd on the for sale 2007(8)?
It's just missing the cap.
Old 08-06-2012, 10:39 AM   #29940
ICERIDER
Adventure Rider

Oddometer: 405
WR250R #2 makes it to the Falklands!

Bought from an inmate in New Mexico and shipped to Chile to watch the Dakar in January.
Unfortunately not allowed to import used bikes to Chile so eventually had to fly it out via Lan.
ICERIDER is offline   Reply With Quote