Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-08-2012, 03:34 PM   #30001
tmotten
Lefthand ride Dutchy

Oddometer: 2,456
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVCoop View Post
I bought some Tusk CR High bars (obviously I changed the pad, I didn't like the black tusk one) and cut them down to 29" and had room but any narrower than that and I would have been hurting. I forgot all about folks saying the mini bars give you room on the "flats" for your controls. Pa woods are pretty tight, I had my old KDX's bars cut to 28". I also have Tusk 1" bar risers installed.

Edit: I took this before I put the wire ties back on to clean the wiring back up.

Have you got any detail on how you got that extra slack in the wires from? I've tried to mount a rental rc high bar which has the same height as yours and with rox risers and no go on an of the wires.
tmotten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 03:56 PM   #30002
Joe Watson
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,031
My mate with his WRR did Rox Risers and high bars, he had to get all new cables and extend all his wiring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmotten View Post
Have you got any detail on how you got that extra slack in the wires from? I've tried to mount a rental rc high bar which has the same height as yours and with rox risers and no go on an of the wires.
Joe Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 04:06 PM   #30003
sieg
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,647
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggamster View Post
I am wanting to reduce a little weight on what looks to be a soon to be acquired 2012 WR250R. Rotational weight is the most noticeable correct? Assuming I am correct. If I just switch out the rims and spokes, will it make a weight difference or just durability? I don't think I can afford new hubs.

Ok I've rode and raced forever and know lighter is better. But the little weight (IMHO) saved by spokes and rims, is that really noticeable? I mean I donít think Iím good enough to see a significant difference. Iíve stripped all the usual stuff off my 250R but hey it was a free mod. What I see all the time is guys showing up to trail ride and tell me that my stock 250F just didnít have enough power for them. So they YZ cammed theirs and piped it andÖthrew piles of money at it, but I wait for them in the trails cause they canít keep up, and Iím fatter and older than them. So is the cost worth it? Does it make the ride that much better?
Old 08-08-2012, 04:19 PM   #30004
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,741
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggamster View Post
I am wanting to reduce a little weight on what looks to be a soon to be acquired 2012 WR250R. Rotational weight is the most noticeable correct? Assuming I am correct. If I just switch out the rims and spokes, will it make a weight difference or just durability? I don't think I can afford new hubs.
In one old mans opinion there just bling & not much more Stock wheels are plenty strong.
AZ TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 05:42 PM   #30005
ADVCoop
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 771
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmotten View Post
All stock length cables and wires, I didn't do anything special with the routing. It could be because I have my forks slid in the clamps about 19mm (3/4"), or maybe the ROX risers are taller? I am at about the limit any higher and I would have binding issues.
Old 08-08-2012, 07:03 PM   #30006
Oh2RideMore
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,274
aftermarket headlight opinions

Alright, riding my wr again while I wait on clutch cable for the versys. At night my hid in stock headlight lense is not cutting it any more, as it eroded the silver lining. Looking for opinion on 3 options I am thinking about.
1. Baja designs replacement lense with a new hid kit
2. baja designs or trailtech 8 inch racing hid light
3. baja designs squadron.

I don't care about the legality issue, just want light on the road properly aimed. Cutoff will be good enough. What do you guys think is the best aftermarket option of those, or suggest another option. Love the single round headlight look, but the work involved in the install looks daunting. Squadron would be plug and play for most part, but needs dimmer for true high low operation.
Old 08-09-2012, 03:47 AM   #30007
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,942
I know it is here somewhere, but...

I have searched hard, and not found it. The wiring diagram Google Doc link in the WR250R bike specific index thread is broken.

I want to put a switched 12v accessory outlet up front, for GPS and air compressor. The DR650 had a handy spare lurking behind the front headlight cowl.

I am an electric-idiot, so need clear direction on locating the source (preferably photos). I will fuse and solder and heat-shrink tube the connection, once I figure out where to tap in without causing any harm.

Thank you in advance for a firm shove in the right direction.

Jon
Old 08-09-2012, 07:03 AM   #30008
ADVCoop
Studly Adventurer

I always use a relay and distribution block so I have switched power for whatever I want to add like heated grips, power outlet, etc. But if you don't enjoy wiring you might not like this option. It's easy but looks intimidating the first time.

You are correct, in the harness by the headlight there is often an empty connection that is switched. I can't remember if there is one on the WRR, but will look later because now I am curious. I do know under the seat is a yellow plug. It has two wires, this is for the plate light. But it is switched 12V and you can tie into the blue wire. Looks back at post #29986 (about two pages) and easy_dualsport posted a picture of mine pointing this connector out.
Old 08-09-2012, 09:24 AM   #30009
Scott_PDX
Leisure Engineer

Oddometer: 2,956
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_l View Post
I have searched hard, and not found it. The wiring diagram Google Doc link in the WR250R bike specific index thread is broken.

I want to put a switched 12v accessory outlet up front, for GPS and air compressor. The DR650 had a handy spare lurking behind the front headlight cowl.

I am an electric-idiot, so need clear direction on locating the source (preferably photos). I will fuse and solder and heat-shrink tube the connection, once I figure out where to tap in without causing any harm.

Thank you in advance for a firm shove in the right direction.

Jon
You might consider an Eastern Beaver 3 Cirucuit set up. It's nearly plug and play and will give you a couple circuits to play with. Best of all, pretty cheap.

Here's an install I found: http://www.basherdesigns.com/2010/01/29/3cs-part-1/

My MotovLog (Youtube Videos): http://www.youtube.com/user/scottb572/videos

Where Am I via SPOT (Code SCT): http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=719703
Scott_PDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 09:34 AM   #30010
clapped_r6
The Spoad Warrior

Oddometer: 2,672
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_PDX View Post
You might consider an Eastern Beaver 3 Cirucuit set up. It's nearly plug and play and will give you a couple circuits to play with. Best of all, pretty cheap.

+1 on EB stuff. uber quality
clapped_r6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 11:22 AM   #30011
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,942
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_PDX View Post

Thanks Coop and Scott. If necessary, I may go the EB route, but I'd prefer to keep the work limited to headlight area.

Post 29986 looks great. Wish you were my neighbor, I'd offer you a case of beer to help me.

I am hoping for something as simple (and free) as the DR650:

unused connection under headlight cowl
Old 08-09-2012, 11:34 AM   #30012
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 10,659
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVCoop View Post
You are correct, in the harness by the headlight there is often an empty connection that is switched. I can't remember if there is one on the WRR, but will look later because now I am curious.
This connection is generally for the city light wiring, a Euro spec thing which we don't have; or for the marker lights in the front signals which the DR, KLR, KLX, etc., do not have.

The WR does not have the empty connection.

My Smugmug Galleries
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 12:13 PM   #30013
ADVCoop
Studly Adventurer

Bummer. I didn't get a chance to look so thanks for clarifying. My wife's DR200 has an empty connection and a few other bikes I've owned. Like I said I use a relay and distribution block wired in so I have a switched power circuit for adding accessories so I never looked for an empty connection on the WRR.

jon if I was close I would have gladly helped you.
Old 08-09-2012, 01:57 PM   #30014
ggamster
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ TOM View Post
In one old mans opinion there just bling & not much more Stock wheels are plenty strong.
Thanks guys...Answered that.
ggamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 02:08 PM   #30015
Mikef5000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,030
I would use a relay, but a distribution block shouldn't be necessary in a simple install.

85 to a switched positive, like a marker light wire, tail light, or license plate light.
86 to a ground
30 to the battery positive, with a fuse near the battery
87a to your accessories
87 is empty

A standard relay can easily handle 30 amps, so while a distribution block is handy you could run one relay to power all kinds of (switched) electronics:
Overpowered Headlight (or 55 watt HID): 5 amp
Heated Grips: 2.5 amp
Acc. plug (gps): 1 amp
Heated Jacket: 6 amp
LED Fog Lights: 5 amps

All that stuff at the same time is less than 20 amps.

Then you could go all out and revisit that 87 terminal that we didn't use on the relay, and connect it to a blinking alarm LED:

Then whenever your bike is off, the (fake)alarm LED is blinking fooling some would-be thiefs!. It'd be a parasitic draw, so if you leave it parked for extended periods it may kill the battery, but I would think that could take weeks.
Mikef5000 is offline   Reply With Quote