Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-10-2012, 04:48 PM   #30046
ADVCoop
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 770
I almost bought an ED04 and then I found some T63's from an inmate here. The ED04 looks decent.

I love the MT43's but they are too tall for my tastes on the road. Once I get some 17" SM wheels for the street I will go back to them for off-road.
Old 08-10-2012, 06:47 PM   #30047
Joe Watson
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,028
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_l View Post
I'd love to see the inside.
Yeah, just finishing up the latches, then I am going to remount it and take photos and fill it with tools etc to see how much I can actually fit in there. I will take a bunch of photos and add them.
Joe Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 07:03 PM   #30048
freetors
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subaru297 View Post
I have a very similar problem on my KTM 530. On my bike I think it only happens when I am lugging the bike. It seems to smooth out when I downshift or increase rpm's. I really only notice it shifting into 6th and not going fast enough.
I have a new chain and sprockets to go on as well. I hope that cures it, but based on your experience maybe not. Sprockets are aligned with the motion pro alignment tool.

Hopefully someone else knows the solution.

Cheers
Hmm. I wonder if there are any little burrs on the sprocket teeth that the chain gets caught on? I wonder if there is possibly a vibration elsewhere on the bike that is causing the chain to resonate side to side like that?

On my little ride today I watched the chain whenever I could. At 25 mph the drive side of the chain oscillates about .5-1 cycles per second. Both the top and bottom of the chain are oscillating. As far as I can tell, my problem is irrespective to load/rpm. Mine is all speed based.

I think I'm going to throw this up in the Garage to see if anybody else has ideas.
freetors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 11:02 PM   #30049
avgas
amateur

Oddometer: 81
e-12?

Anyone have Wolfman E-12 saddle bags on their wr? I'm wondering if they fit well and if you can mount them far enough back that they won't prevent you from shifting your weight all the way back.
avgas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 03:31 AM   #30050
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,816
Quote:
Originally Posted by avgas View Post
Anyone have Wolfman E-12 saddle bags on their wr? I'm wondering if they fit well and if you can mount them far enough back that they won't prevent you from shifting your weight all the way back.
I have a set of E-12s on order, should have arrived yesterday, but they didn't. I'll post pics as soon as I get them.
Old 08-11-2012, 04:32 AM   #30051
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by avgas View Post
Older version (E-10), from a few pages back:

more pics here: http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....ostcount=22865

jon_l screwed with this post 08-11-2012 at 04:46 AM
jon_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 04:34 AM   #30052
1Down-5Up
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
I thought I might mention a few set-up items on my R2. I purchased the factory rear rack and replaced the metal deck with a 3/4 plywood piece. It's great because its easy to make it oversize to suit your needs, like a long tail to support a sleeping bag /tent etc.

I put a crossbar with footpegs attached to the skid plate mount holes. I saw this on a KLR and just had to have it. Nice when you hit the Hwy to head home.

I have a Madstad windshield on mine which I could not live without especially with an arthritic neck. It helps in the rain as well. For bush riding I flip it upside down and visibility is good. Before installing the windshield in needed to use my helmet visor but now I never use it. If I do go for an all off-road ride I do take it off. Sorry I can't post pics yet not sure how many posts I need for that.

Did a fantastic ride yesterday 460 km didn't get rain till the homestretch.

JB
1Down-5Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 06:24 AM   #30053
jwdub
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 529
RE: Chain flailing from side to side. The first thing I'd check is wheel alignment -- make sure by measuring from the center of the axle to the center of the swing arm pivot on both sides -- don't rely on adjuster markings.
jwdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 06:48 AM   #30054
byron555
Lame Duck Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,109
chain side to side

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwdub View Post
RE: Chain flailing from side to side. The first thing I'd check is wheel alignment -- make sure by measuring from the center of the axle to the center of the swing arm pivot on both sides -- don't rely on adjuster markings.

Could the rear sprocket be warped/bent?
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=997633
byron555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 07:04 AM   #30055
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Down-5Up View Post
I thought I might mention a few set-up items on my R2. I purchased the factory rear rack and replaced the metal deck with a 3/4 plywood piece. It's great because its easy to make it oversize to suit your needs, like a long tail to support a sleeping bag /tent etc.

I put a crossbar with footpegs attached to the skid plate mount holes. I saw this on a KLR and just had to have it. Nice when you hit the Hwy to head home.

I have a Madstad windshield on mine which I could not live without especially with an arthritic neck. It helps in the rain as well. For bush riding I flip it upside down and visibility is good. Before installing the windshield in needed to use my helmet visor but now I never use it. If I do go for an all off-road ride I do take it off. Sorry I can't post pics yet not sure how many posts I need for that.

JB
Photos are good!
Old 08-11-2012, 08:45 AM   #30056
coresports
coresports

Oddometer: 246
Quote:

JB
you should be able to post pics, you just need to:

create an account with username & password on a site like photobucket
upload your photo there
click on the direct link to copy the html code from your photobucket album
create/reply to a message on here
paste your html link in your message

the pic should appear. we used to be able to just upload direct from your pc to this site but i think storage was becoming an issue, not too hard once you get the account set up tho.
coresports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 09:24 AM   #30057
1Down-5Up
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
OK lets try this http://s1163.photobucket.com/albums/...t=9db9822f.jpg Well there's the link anyways, it still says I cannot post attachments so maybe there is a post minimum. I looked everywhere on the site but didn'y find anything.

1Down-5Up screwed with this post 08-11-2012 at 09:39 AM
1Down-5Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 09:43 AM   #30058
Strog
Geek on two wheels

Oddometer: 390
Quote:
OK lets try this http://s1163.photobucket.com/albums/...t=9db9822f.jpg Well there's the link anyways, it still says I cannot post attachments so maybe there is a post minimum. I looked everywhere on the site but didn'y find anything.
Old 08-11-2012, 10:03 AM   #30059
bhd1223
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 293
Quote:

Try using the "[IMG]" "link" "[/IMG]" way. No attachment necessary. I've never had a problem with "[IMG]" tags. Just remember to remove the quotes.
Keeping the Vulcan for now. The ladies seem to love it.
bhd1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 06:07 AM   #30060
coresports
coresports

Oddometer: 246
sweet!!! i really wanted to see the bashguard/highway footpeg setup, very nice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strog View Post
coresports is offline   Reply With Quote