Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-19-2012, 09:29 AM   #30166
Old_Crow
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 123
So you just swapped out the horn then? No additional work required to make this mod happen?
Old_Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 10:39 AM   #30167
scottmac
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,548
FYI: you can easily rotate the mount of your horn around so that it sits up out of sight behind
the plastic cover on the left side of your bike.
scottmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 10:49 AM   #30168
BMW-K
F800GS FTW!

Oddometer: 1,288
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey View Post
I have 2 questions if anyone can assist :-

1/ Does anyone know if they still manufacture Sweet Cheeks seat covers? It appears there website no longer operates.
Dunno, but the Walmart ATV Seat Cover gets pretty high marks and at $20 is a darn sight cheaper.

IBA # 20880. STFU and Ride.
BMW-K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 12:18 PM   #30169
Longboardr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by byron555 View Post
I have a FIAMM high tone blaster horn on my bike, 90+ Decibels?? I forgot what it is rated, a lot louder though. nearly twice the diameter and mounted in the stock location.
I run a low tone on my street bike, mucho loud! 130 dB

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o00_s00_i01
Longboardr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 07:01 PM   #30170
Honkey Cat
Tailights Fade!

Oddometer: 1,081
tat

Just shredded black dragon wash in 45 min. Today
Old 08-19-2012, 08:13 PM   #30171
byron555
Lame Duck Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,122
Horn and added wiring

A few post backs I pictured my new horn, and I did not add a relay or any additional wiring and it works. That being said, this winter I will be adding a gps plug and probably try a relay setup for the horn to see if it gets louder still with more available amps from the battery
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=997633
byron555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 10:14 PM   #30172
Mr. Fisherman
PROUD 2B Riff Raff!

Oddometer: 10,657
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honkey Cat View Post
Ran diagnosttic ( thanks fishy ) did have a tps code and side stand code. Went over cinamon pass, California pass beating ceap out of bike no over heat light. Get on highway again ( where light came on and off first time ) cruising for 10 min. Over heat light comes on at about 65, let off gas coast to 50 light goes off, as soon as light goes off I drop the hammer to 70 for 5 min. Light comes back on let off for a min. Light back on, the sec it goes off hammer down to 70 for 6 min until light comes back on. Any thoughts. Of course bike has issues on tba weekend when nothings opened. In miab now.

Did you verify the fan is working?

Did you check to make sure it is spinning freely?

Have you cleaned the air filter lately?

Did you check coolant level (when it is cool.)

Did the intake temp make sense compared to water temp when you did the diagnostics?

When is the last time you changed the coolant and what did you use?
Mr. Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 02:57 AM   #30173
thumpididump
MacGyver

Oddometer: 2,579
Coincidentally, I did Cinnamon Pass, California Pass, Engineers Pass, Mosquito Pass and a few others over a 6-day ride which ended last week. We did a few miles of pavement between some of the trails and I was experiencing the exact same symptoms as you describe. The problem got worse by the 3rd or 4th day. Turned out to be my air filter, even though I began the trip with a clean, fresh oiled filter. Because I started the week with a clean filter, I was really reluctant to believe it. But riding near the back of the pack (6 bikes) my poor little WR inhaled a serious amount of dust, and the filter was totally clogged in just 3 days. Cleaned and re-oiled, symptoms disappeared for day-4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honkey Cat View Post
Ran diagnosttic ( thanks fishy ) did have a tps code and side stand code. Went over cinamon pass, California pass beating ceap out of bike no over heat light. Get on highway again ( where light came on and off first time ) cruising for 10 min. Over heat light comes on at about 65, let off gas coast to 50 light goes off, as soon as light goes off I drop the hammer to 70 for 5 min. Light comes back on let off for a min. Light back on, the sec it goes off hammer down to 70 for 6 min until light comes back on. Any thoughts. Of course bike has issues on tba weekend when nothings opened. In miab now.

Sent from my Galaxy Tab 10.1 with TapaTalk
thumpididump is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 06:03 AM   #30174
Joe Watson
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,030
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougZ73 View Post
Anyone have an issue with these getting some play in them? I have a tad of play I just noticed. I plan to tighten up initially, and then repack with some new grease in near future.
I just had my steering head off. There was pretty minimal grease in there. I had no movement though. I tightened just a tad tighter than factory specs and it is great, no movement at all.
Joe Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 06:25 AM   #30175
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Oddometer: 6,836
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Watson View Post
I just had my steering head off. There was pretty minimal grease in there. I had no movement though. I tightened just a tad tighter than factory specs and it is great, no movement at all.
OK, thanks for the reply Joe. Much appreciated.
DougZ73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 07:37 AM   #30176
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 10,703
Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpididump View Post
Coincidentally, I did Cinnamon Pass, California Pass, Engineers Pass, Mosquito Pass and a few others over a 6-day ride which ended last week. We did a few miles of pavement between some of the trails and I was experiencing the exact same symptoms as you describe. The problem got worse by the 3rd or 4th day. Turned out to be my air filter, even though I began the trip with a clean, fresh oiled filter. Because I started the week with a clean filter, I was really reluctant to believe it. But riding near the back of the pack (6 bikes) my poor little WR inhaled a serious amount of dust, and the filter was totally clogged in just 3 days. Cleaned and re-oiled, symptoms disappeared for day-4.
On multi day rides where you will be getting dusty, and don't really care to clean your air filter every night, Filter Skins are the way to go.

Oil em up in advance and toss them in a ziploc bag. Put one on the air filter before the ride and pull it off after each day and replace it with a new one. Takes however long it takes to open up the airbox - a few minutes, max.

My Smugmug Galleries
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 08:27 AM   #30177
Old_Crow
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 123
Thumb

Great tips regarding horn, filter, and filter skins! You fellas really know how to help a noob out :)
Old_Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 02:03 PM   #30178
thumpididump
MacGyver

Oddometer: 2,579
That's definitely the plan for next time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeefZah View Post
On multi day rides where you will be getting dusty, and don't really care to clean your air filter every night, Filter Skins are the way to go.

Oil em up in advance and toss them in a ziploc bag. Put one on the air filter before the ride and pull it off after each day and replace it with a new one. Takes however long it takes to open up the airbox - a few minutes, max.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
thumpididump is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 05:19 PM   #30179
f1isbest
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagari View Post
I was just curious how the WR250R does on steep mountain grades like I-80 in Salt Lake going up to Park City. If you wanted to get up to some forest service roads at the top of the mountain. Would it lug my 220# rear end up there at 55MPH?

Thanks
For me in Colorado, I use a 12/50 with excellent results. For 8000 ft and up to 13000 ft riding it is perfect for the steeps and especially rocky sections.
Flapper box Modification
Many Add-ons from Dirt Freak DRC hardware.
f1isbest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 06:47 PM   #30180
sieg
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,687
Hey what's Yamaha thinking? While cleaning my wifes XT250 and my WRR I noticed that the XT has rim locks but not the WRR.

Current bikes F800GS-EXCF350-Versys-690R-RZ350
sieg is offline   Reply With Quote