Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-22-2012, 10:56 PM   #30226
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 10,295
Quote:
Originally Posted by byron555 View Post
Well... it does make contact with the front wheel.... enough so that it got ripped of the nicely welded mounts. No tools were harmed though! Only because they were not in there... Oh well, there goes $0.63 in investment!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeefZah View Post
I personally dislike the variety of home made tool tubes attached to the skid plate. I'm more of a "minimum is maximum" kind of guy. But it's your rig, so carry on.

I will tell you that if the tire is hitting it you are creating a hazardous situation; at some point the tire is going to cause it to break off, or debris will impact it and break it off or open.

I have the same ASC tube on my Strom, under the luggage rack, and it has served me well there. However, I installed one on the subframe near where the OEM toolbox used to be and it lasted about a month due to the harder use the WR gets. In a more vulnerable position like where yours is, I wouldn't see it lasting even that long.

I never get tired of hearing that I'm right.

My Smugmug Galleries
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 09:26 AM   #30227
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,747
headlight cowl storage

I had a Tusk fender bag on the DR650 for tire irons, tube, and tire change kit. I don't want a front fender bag on the WRR because it looks like it will interfere with the headlight.

I picked up a Wolfman Enduro Toolbag last weekend, thinking it might work on the headlight cowl. It is a quality bag, lots of room, and empty, the size looks about right. It is 4" deep though, so I am concerned that once filled with gear, it will tend to sag and block the headlight. Granted the straps will cinch it down, which should reduce sag.

Has anyone mounted one of these on the front headlight cowl of a WRR?

Also, has anyone who mounted a fender bag on the front found that it doesn't block the lower part of the headlight?
Old 08-23-2012, 09:40 AM   #30228
ADVCoop
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 765
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_l View Post
I had a Tusk fender bag on the DR650 for tire irons, tube, and tire change kit. I don't want a front fender bag on the WRR because it looks like it will interfere with the headlight.
You are correct. It blocks a good portion of the headlight. All I have in it is a front tube, a patch kit, a small bicycle pump, tire gauge, and the two irons that mount in the top of the bag. I find the WRR headlight pretty useless and I don't ride at night so for me it's not an issue. If I add some LED driving lights and feel safe riding it at night I will have to re-think the Tusk fender bag.

Old 08-23-2012, 09:51 AM   #30229
Crawdaddy
Navigate 2 Adventure

Oddometer: 2,188
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVCoop View Post
I find the WRR headlight pretty useless
Really? Man, I think it shines pretty bright for a stock light...

You've obviously never owned a KTM.......my 400/520/620 stock headlights were equivalent to a match on low beam and a lighter on high beam.....truly useless
http://www.WhereAmIRiding.com
Crawdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 10:09 AM   #30230
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 9,957
I bought one of those things too. It was a dumb purchase. There is no place to mount it unless I fab up something. I just throw my tools in it and throw the bag inside my rear duffel for travelling. At least it keeps my tools on one place, but I could have found something a lot cheaper.

Quote:

I picked up a Wolfman Enduro Toolbag last weekend, thinking it might work on the headlight cowl. It is a quality bag, lots of room, and empty, the size looks about right. It is 4" deep though, so I am concerned that once filled with gear, it will tend to sag and block the headlight. Granted the straps will cinch it down, which should reduce sag.

Also, has anyone who mounted a fender bag on the front found that it doesn't block the lower part of the headlight?
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 01:26 PM   #30231
Sewerat
Cert. bike whore

Oddometer: 1,177
I have the wolf man fender bag mounted up front and don't find it in the way of the light at all? I only have one tube and a pair of gloves in it but I also ride in the dark everyday either to work or from it. I can see the excess straps waving in the wind making shadows and I can also see the wolfman badge light up bright but doesn't effect my vision at night???
Old 08-23-2012, 02:03 PM   #30232
scottmac
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,488
I've been using one of the wolfman enduro carry all bags for years now on the WRR and it works great for
my tools and small compressor.

http://www.wolfmanluggage.com/Enduro..._carryall.html
scottmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 02:42 PM   #30233
jckid
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 299
Power up, smog, etc.

First off, I'm new to WR's, so I have a few questions. My previous fuel-injected experience is on my Husky SM610. On it, I removed the smog equipment (charcoal can & hoses) with no change in performance (stock setup). Later I did the power up kit and Leo Vince exhaust, which made it run better than stock. Can I remove all the smog stuff on my stock WRX without any issue as well? And is there no power up kit available for the WR? I'm a bit confused, because I keep reading about power/fuel programmers used in conjunction with various exhausts. A programmer was not required on my Husky in order to change the exhaust. Just a couple of very simple, inexpensive parts known as the power up kit that puts the computer in "race map". So can someone explain to me if the WR is different, and how so?

WR250X ride report: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=903806
jckid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 03:40 PM   #30234
Motokirby
Anti log hopper

Oddometer: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by jckid View Post
First off, I'm new to WR's, so I have a few questions. My previous fuel-injected experience is on my Husky SM610. On it, I removed the smog equipment (charcoal can & hoses) with no change in performance (stock setup). Later I did the power up kit and Leo Vince exhaust, which made it run better than stock. Can I remove all the smog stuff on my stock WRX without any issue as well? And is there no power up kit available for the WR? I'm a bit confused, because I keep reading about power/fuel programmers used in conjunction with various exhausts. A programmer was not required on my Husky in order to change the exhaust. Just a couple of very simple, inexpensive parts known as the power up kit that puts the computer in "race map". So can someone explain to me if the WR is different, and how so?
There is no factory "race" kit. You can remove all emissions related equipment with no problems. You can add an aftermarket exhaust, header, cut the airbox, and add a fuel controller like PCV, FMF, or any of the others to add fuel to the mixture so it will make a little more power.

Gearing the bike also makes a nice change.
Motokirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 03:44 PM   #30235
indypup
╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Oddometer: 3,060
Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpididump View Post
Coincidentally, I did Cinnamon Pass, California Pass, Engineers Pass, Mosquito Pass and a few others over a 6-day ride which ended last week. We did a few miles of pavement between some of the trails and I was experiencing the exact same symptoms as you describe. The problem got worse by the 3rd or 4th day. Turned out to be my air filter, even though I began the trip with a clean, fresh oiled filter. Because I started the week with a clean filter, I was really reluctant to believe it. But riding near the back of the pack (6 bikes) my poor little WR inhaled a serious amount of dust, and the filter was totally clogged in just 3 days. Cleaned and re-oiled, symptoms disappeared for day-4.
I have a K&N and it was dirty as hell after my week in Colorado too mainly because I took the airbox door off...

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist hangs his head out the window! Be real, be whole, be innovative.
indypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 03:47 PM   #30236
GSBS
FunHog

Oddometer: 3,837
Quote:
Originally Posted by jckid View Post
I opened up the air box, installed a K&N filter, added an FMF silencer and removed the EXIF servo and AIS stuff at around 8k miles. A buddy showed me how to use the bike's computer to richen up the mixture so I never bothered with adding a Power Commander or similar aftermarket programer. The bike runs great and rips and today it has nearly 20k miles on it, so I think any issues relating to this would've shown up by now. I've never felt any desire to plunk down $250 for a programer since I'm happy with the bike as it is.

Somewhere in this thread around February 2011 is the how-to description of setting the computer, but at the moment I can't find it. Maybe someone smarter than me thought to bookmark it. But basically you're holding down one button until the display flashes with the key on, then another, etc., etc. until you reach the mode to change the settings. It goes from minus 30 to plus 30, so you have a total of 61 possibilities. To set it you just enter the correct mode and ride the bike, adjust, ride more, adjust, until you like it. Then it saves the setting when the bike is switched off. Mine stock was like minus 3 or 4 and I got the best performance and plus 3 or 4 I think. It's been a year-and-a-half so I don't remember exactly. Oh yeah, and while you're in the setting mode the speedo becomes a tachometer and the odometer isn't adding miles.

If I can find the access procedure I'll post it up later if you're interested.
GSBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 03:48 PM   #30237
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,747
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottmac View Post
I've been using one of the wolfman enduro carry all bags for years now on the WRR and it works great for
my tools and small compressor.

http://www.wolfmanluggage.com/Enduro..._carryall.html
Thanks Scott.

That is exactly what I want to do with the bag. The one in the photo you linked is the The Enduro Carry-All:
Dimensions:
Width: 10 inches
Height: 5 1/4 inches
Depth: 3 1/2 inches
Capacity: 2.75 liters

I bought The Enduro Tool Bag, because it was cheaper, I don't need a number holder, and I didn't like the straps down, and back to the bars. The Enduro Tool bag has 4 counter-sunk bolts (though the photo below from the W-man site doesn't show countersunk) that go through the plastic cowl (or fender) to attach a full-coverage Velcro backer-plate, with 2 straps that wrap the bag. The back of the bag is the opposite Velcro, with straps as insurance and (hopefully) to reduce sag. Dimensions:
Length: 8"
Width: 5-1/2"
Height: 4"
Capacity: 3.5 Liters

Wolfman enduro tool bag mounting

Seems like if the Enduro Carry All bag will work there, the Enduro Tool Bag will too. I'll post photos once mounted.

jon_l screwed with this post 08-23-2012 at 04:44 PM
jon_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 04:30 PM   #30238
ADVCoop
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawdaddy View Post
Really? Man, I think it shines pretty bright for a stock light...

You've obviously never owned a KTM.......my 400/520/620 stock headlights were equivalent to a match on low beam and a lighter on high beam.....truly useless
I have had a KTM, and I agree LOL. I guess my last bike spoiled me; BMW F650GS with nice PIAA driving lights. That bike put out almost as good of light at night as my car haha.
Old 08-23-2012, 04:55 PM   #30239
HardWorkingDog
Harvey Mushman

Oddometer: 1,640
Quote:

That's why I use this "number plate bag" from dirt-bike-gear.com

It rides above the headlight, holds my spare tube, tire changing tools and a clif bar for lunch Very well made, it is solidly mounted and doesn't budge at all. You can just see it in the right edge of the photo...

(Don't see the point of Wolfman's map flap...not gonna see the map unless I'm in attack position, and then I'm not looking down, I'm lookin' about 50 feet ahead and the 6 straps of the dbg's version is way more stable.)

Next Trip: Divide & Conquer...

"it's a dog's life.............and I love it"
HardWorkingDog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 05:51 PM   #30240
Cowgirl
Cougar on the prowl

Oddometer: 3,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSBS View Post
I opened up the air box, installed a K&N filter, added an FMF silencer and removed the EXIF servo and AIS stuff at around 8k miles. A buddy showed me how to use the bike's computer to richen up the mixture so I never bothered with adding a Power Commander or similar aftermarket programer. The bike runs great and rips and today it has nearly 20k miles on it, so I think any issues relating to this would've shown up by now. I've never felt any desire to plunk down $250 for a programer since I'm happy with the bike as it is.

Somewhere in this thread around February 2011 is the how-to description of setting the computer, but at the moment I can't find it. Maybe someone smarter than me thought to bookmark it. But basically you're holding down one button until the display flashes with the key on, then another, etc., etc. until you reach the mode to change the settings. It goes from minus 30 to plus 30, so you have a total of 61 possibilities. To set it you just enter the correct mode and ride the bike, adjust, ride more, adjust, until you like it. Then it saves the setting when the bike is switched off. Mine stock was like minus 3 or 4 and I got the best performance and plus 3 or 4 I think. It's been a year-and-a-half so I don't remember exactly. Oh yeah, and while you're in the setting mode the speedo becomes a tachometer and the odometer isn't adding miles.

If I can find the access procedure I'll post it up later if you're interested.
I'd be interested. I'm using my X for supermoto and I'd like to do all of these mods to try and pick up a little power. What a totally fun supermoto bike!
A Cougar goes racing
Lead me not into temptation ............ just follow me, I know a short-cut.
Cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote