Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-2012, 06:02 AM   #30556
thumpididump
MacGyver

Oddometer: 2,426
I think it looks awesome, regardless any effects on wind drag, top speed, fuel consumption, whether positive or negative.

Curious to know more about it. Is it KTM OEM or aftermarket? Much fab work to make it fit? Spendy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Watson View Post
Well the stickering is pretty well done. I will have to get it out, wash it and get some real photos of it. But that is for another day.

FY-YFF
2014 KTM 690 Enduro R
thumpididump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 08:30 AM   #30557
Dallara
Creaks When Walks...

Oddometer: 1,751
Depends on where you were...

Quote:
Originally Posted by montesa_vr View Post

PFY50 is right. In 1970 Joel Robert won the 250cc world motocross championship on a yellow Suzuki, and Roger DeCoster took the 500 title in 1971. DeCoster went on to win five world championships, forever linking that color with Suzuki off road bikes. Kawasaki quickly adopted their unique shade of green, and Honda settled on red. It was probably Yamaha's marketing department that dictated the change to blue, in spite of the very successful early YZ motocross bikes' signature yellow and black paint scheme.

The photo is DeCoster's 73 race bike. http://www.mxworksbike.com/RN73.htm

It's perhaps important to note that the Yamaha yellow-and-black "Bumblebee" colors, complete with black strobe stripes, were a distinctly American-market only phenomenon. Oddly enough a guy who went by the working name "Molly" came up with both that Yamaha distinct USA race scheme and Kawasaki's lime-green motif. He was a rather famous California custom painter and designer at the time.

In Europe and other parts of the world, including Canada, Yamaha raced with white bikes with red trim...

And Suzuki's first works MX bikes actually had silver tanks with blue frames, just like their early works road racers in '60's. The yellow didn't come on the scene until the Robert/De Coster RN/RH bikes like the one shown above.

Just FYI...

Dallara

~

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrist's office

~
Dallara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 09:49 AM   #30558
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

Oddometer: 1,877
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallara View Post
It's perhaps important to note that the Yamaha yellow-and-black "Bumblebee" colors, complete with black strobe stripes, were a distinctly American-market only phenomenon. Oddly enough a guy who went by the working name "Molly" came up with both that Yamaha distinct USA race scheme and Kawasaki's lime-green motif. He was a rather famous California custom painter and designer at the time.

In Europe and other parts of the world, including Canada, Yamaha raced with white bikes with red trim...

And Suzuki's first works MX bikes actually had silver tanks with blue frames, just like their early works road racers in '60's. The yellow didn't come on the scene until the Robert/De Coster RN/RH bikes like the one shown above.

Just FYI...

Dallara

~

Thanks for the history.

So, seems Molly didn't care much for Kawasaki. I always wondered why they chose such a questionable shade of green. Did he have anything to do with KTM's choice of orange??

Have you ever been to the Barber Museum in Birmingham? I visited for the first time this past spring. It's a wonderland for people like us. "Wow" every direction you look. Seems like they have every bike you can imagine.
GlennR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 10:04 AM   #30559
Just Bob
Been There Done That

Oddometer: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_l View Post
From the Seat Concepts FAQ:

Q: What is the difference in cover materials?

A: Gripper: Great for aggressive riding or being held in place. If you like to slide around do not order this cover. Carbon: A black vinyl that has a carbon fiber pattern made into the surface for a good look. There is a texture that acts like a very light gripper. Embossed: A smooth black vinyl with square dimples embossed into the material but not all the way through keeping it water resistant. This cover will scuff if dragging sharp edged items across surface. Plain: A nice leather grain vinyl similar to some stock seats. ALL covers are marine grade vinyls and water resistant.

I don't want Gripper, as I like to move around.

Carbon sounds good.

Don't like that Embossed scuffs easily.

Plain sounds.....OK

Based on this FAQ, I would order carbon top, plain sides. For those of you who have a Seat Concepts already, what cover material(s) do you have, and why would you buy (or not) it again?
I went carbon sides and gripper top. At first I didn't like the gripper. Too grippy compared to an older SDG seat I had on another bike. I found that cleaning the seat with Armor All took enough of the grippiness out without getting too slick. If I had it to do again I would go all carbon. If I get one for my 950SM I'm going to go custom with suede.
Old 09-11-2012, 10:14 AM   #30560
Dallara
Creaks When Walks...

Oddometer: 1,751
Thumb Barber...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
Thanks for the history.

So, seems Molly didn't care much for Kawasaki. I always wondered why they chose such a questionable shade of green. Did he have anything to do with KTM's choice of orange??

Have you ever been to the Barber Museum in Birmingham? I visited for the first time this past spring. It's a wonderland for people like us. "Wow" every direction you look. Seems like they have every bike you can imagine.

Oh, yeah, I've been to Barber...

Went last year during the vintage festival where we were racing two of our vintage CZ motocrossers. One of the most incredible places I've ever been. Spent way too much time there instead of doing others things I should have been doing!

To get an idea how much time that was, I took over 2,200 pictures!

You can see 'em here: http://timetunnel.smugmug.com/Rides/...2054&k=fBJJ3fc

Went to a great dinner there, and got to meet Paul Smart, Cook Neilsen, Phil Schilling, and Jason DiSalvo, too, not to mention George Barber. Wonderful folks, but I have to say the real stars of the weekend were all the gorgeous motorcycles (and Lotus cars) they had there.

For you folks that have never been there it is most definitely worth a *Must Do* pilgrimage to the Barber Museum.

Dallara

~

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrist's office

~
Dallara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 10:32 AM   #30561
Longboardr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by rensho View Post
Buy a set of airbags for the rear springs/shocks. $75 and will level the ride right out when you have a load on it. Super easy to install too.
I added air shocks to the Jeep for carrying a bike. A year later I added an air shock controller kit to the system, wish I had installed it the same time as the shocks. Man it's nice to just push a button to inflate or deflate the shocks from the drivers seat!

Longboardr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 11:00 AM   #30562
PatrickInVA
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 162
NOOB question

Where are you storing your documents (insurance & registration card) on your bike? I didn't see a good spot for them.
PatrickInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 11:05 AM   #30563
Scott_PDX
Leisure Engineer

Oddometer: 2,729
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_l View Post
From the Seat Concepts FAQ:

Q: What is the difference in cover materials?

A: Gripper: Great for aggressive riding or being held in place. If you like to slide around do not order this cover. Carbon: A black vinyl that has a carbon fiber pattern made into the surface for a good look. There is a texture that acts like a very light gripper. Embossed: A smooth black vinyl with square dimples embossed into the material but not all the way through keeping it water resistant. This cover will scuff if dragging sharp edged items across surface. Plain: A nice leather grain vinyl similar to some stock seats. ALL covers are marine grade vinyls and water resistant.

I don't want Gripper, as I like to move around.

Carbon sounds good.

Don't like that Embossed scuffs easily.

Plain sounds.....OK

Based on this FAQ, I would order carbon top, plain sides. For those of you who have a Seat Concepts already, what cover material(s) do you have, and why would you buy (or not) it again?
I got the Seat Concepts with the Gripper Top also, if I had to do it again I'd get the Carbon. I also got the blue sides, and they don't quite match the Yamaha Blue, all black would have been better...and cheaper.

The gripper tends to hold my pants in place which means I slide around which causes some chaffing . Not a BIG deal. I have the carbon cover on my KLR and it works much better for me.

That being said, the comfort factor is way higher with either seat over stock. I now have Seat Concepts on three different bikes, and sold on their "foam".

Good luck.

My MotovLog (Youtube Videos): http://www.youtube.com/user/scottb572/videos

Where Am I via SPOT (Code SCT): http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=719703
Scott_PDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 11:06 AM   #30564
Scott_PDX
Leisure Engineer

Oddometer: 2,729
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickInVA View Post
Where are you storing your documents (insurance & registration card) on your bike? I didn't see a good spot for them.
In my wallet.

My MotovLog (Youtube Videos): http://www.youtube.com/user/scottb572/videos

Where Am I via SPOT (Code SCT): http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=719703
Scott_PDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 11:09 AM   #30565
Gryphon12
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,258
Anyone try a Carbon top and Gripper sides with a Seat Concepts seat? Seems logical to want grip when standing, but maybe I'm over thinking it.

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world;
indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Gryphon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 11:41 AM   #30566
thumpididump
MacGyver

Oddometer: 2,426
I was also skeptical of the gripper top, but it's awesome.

I had a chance to test it out on someone else's DR650 before buying one for myself. I'll never go back to the slippery seat.

The carbon sides aren't grippy, but they do look nice.

FY-YFF
2014 KTM 690 Enduro R
thumpididump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 01:20 PM   #30567
scottmac
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,501
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_PDX View Post
In my wallet.
Same

Registration and proof of insurance in my wallet and my wallet goes everywhere I go.
scottmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 01:26 PM   #30568
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

Oddometer: 1,877
Here's the Seat Concepts on my 450, stock colors gripper top & sides. One caution about the gripper material is that it gets stained by dirt, or at least it's not easy to get clean like new. It's great offroad, but might be too grippy if you mainly ride street. You sorta need to raise your butt to reposition.
GlennR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 02:58 PM   #30569
tridor
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
seat concept

I have the all carbon seat concept and it works for me. Just enough grip but can slide if desired, no regrets.
tridor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 03:06 PM   #30570
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,816
So most seem to prefer the Carbon, some like Gripper (I don't want Gripper). Has anybody used the "Plain: A nice leather grain vinyl similar to some stock seats"?

I thought the plain would look good in contrast with the Carbon top.

Glenn - that blue looks very close to your plastics, but someone else noted it isn't. a match In your photo, is that a WRR, or WRF?