Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-14-2012, 10:29 AM   #30601
NoobIAm
Far, far from the Garden.

Oddometer: 2,554
I love the design of this bike, but when my eye hits the headlight, I stumble. It looks like it came off of a lawn tractor. Vertically stacked twin projectors would be a far better look.
NoobIAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 04:15 PM   #30602
Joe Watson
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,030
I will be updating my build log soon to show how it was all done etc, but it is a KTM640 adventure fairing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by japako View Post
I read your build report and you have done some nice things.
On this page I noticed you have different wind screen on.
Would you tell me what screen you started with and any other info that might help. I really like that.

hahahahha yeah, each to their own I guess. I love the look of the 640 Adventure so I was happy to use its fairing on the bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoobIAm View Post
I love the design of this bike, but when my eye hits the headlight, I stumble. It looks like it came off of a lawn tractor. Vertically stacked twin projectors would be a far better look.

Very nice mods list you have there. I would love to see your nomad tank all fitted up. Are you plumbing it in or just going to syphon over to the main tank? I love the weight saving items (Stand and battery), I may have to look into these ones with the weight I have been ADDING to mine lately! Have you raced or done rallys before?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sequent View Post
I've been following your build - I'd love to have a steering head mounted fairing etc, but this was kind of a last-minute decision to race, so I've gone with the Rally Management Services mount that comes off the bars, plus a F2R roadbook and Touratech IMO mounted to a piece of alloy plate, suitably bent - the same set-up I used on my XR400 in the 2010 Safari. Have a back-up Trailtech Vector mounted to the bars too, plus an integrated F2R remote roadbook and IMO control mounted on the bars. Running the Scotts steering damper sub-mount kit as well.

The other mods are: FMF header, exhaust and programmer, Shorai lithium battery (saves 1.5kg!), RAD hubs on Excel rims with heavy duty spokes (running mousse tubes), Safari tank (with a Nomad 4 litre rear tank for longer stages), B&B bashplate and guards, Chaingang rear sprocket (for a WR250F, fitted using countersunk sprocket bolts), Sandman case saver and countershaft cover, Lightspeed front disc guard, fitted an alloy WR250F sidestand to replace the very heavy steel sidestand that comes standard (almost bolts on, need the long WR250F spring and need to Dremel off the stand stop from the WR250F stand), Seat Concepts low seat, Renthal oversize bars, ASV clutch lever (I have a set of Zeta levers but will keep them for spares), a Screens For Bikes high-impact screen and ProFast headlight lens protector, a set of BarkBuster Storm handguards and finally a set of MK3 Pivot Pegs.

I'm looking to carry on racing the WRR in next years rally season (Condo, Yilgarn and Safari) plus the 24-hour reliability trial in SA as well. See you at Condo..!
Joe Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 05:07 PM   #30603
sequent
South Australia's own....

Oddometer: 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Watson View Post
Very nice mods list you have there. I would love to see your nomad tank all fitted up. Are you plumbing it in or just going to syphon over to the main tank? I love the weight saving items (Stand and battery), I may have to look into these ones with the weight I have been ADDING to mine lately! Have you raced or done rallys before?
The Nomad tank actually sits quite nicely between the rear of the seat and the rear indicators, but I'm not plumbing it in because that seems just a bit too complicated. I'm not actually sure I'll need the rear tank, the longest stage is 260km at race pace, so the Safari tank might make the distance, but it could be cutting it fine.

I've raced a few rounds of the SA Reliability Trial series, and I finished the 2010 Safari on my XR400, but vowed never to have to kick start a bike when I was shattered on Day 5 ever again! I'm far from a great rider, and basically just ride the Safari like a fast trail ride aiming for a finish. From that point of view, it makes sense to choose a reliable bike over a true enduro mount, hence the XR400 and now the 250R. The Safari is such an awesome, well organized event, it'd be nice to see more people enter it....
Old 09-14-2012, 06:07 PM   #30604
Gfacter
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
This spot is just a few minutes from my house and just off the back entrance to my neighborhood. I just love riding up the hills,

It's been while since I rode anything like this other than some pedal mountain biking a few years back. The tracks are a little overgrown and hard to see. I had a little blind faith the first loop up the hill.

I wish I had a little more grunt so I could loft the front wheel, I can see some power mods in my future.

Gfacter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 08:19 PM   #30605
tmotten
Lefthand ride Dutchy

Oddometer: 2,456
Quote:
Originally Posted by sequent View Post
The Nomad tank actually sits quite nicely between the rear of the seat and the rear indicators, but I'm not plumbing it in because that seems just a bit too complicated. I'm not actually sure I'll need the rear tank, the longest stage is 260km at race pace, so the Safari tank might make the distance, but it could be cutting it fine.

I've raced a few rounds of the SA Reliability Trial series, and I finished the 2010 Safari on my XR400, but vowed never to have to kick start a bike when I was shattered on Day 5 ever again! I'm far from a great rider, and basically just ride the Safari like a fast trail ride aiming for a finish. From that point of view, it makes sense to choose a reliable bike over a true enduro mount, hence the XR400 and now the 250R. The Safari is such an awesome, well organized event, it'd be nice to see more people enter it....
That bike looks awesome. Have you got a picture of that nomad tank mounted? How come you chose that plus the safari tank over getting the ims one which is about the same size combined? I prefer the look of the safari tank. But really need those extra three litres from the ims.

How do you find the screen? Does it affect the wind on the helmet visor much?
tmotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 10:45 PM   #30606
sequent
South Australia's own....

Oddometer: 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmotten View Post
That bike looks awesome. Have you got a picture of that nomad tank mounted? How come you chose that plus the safari tank over getting the ims one which is about the same size combined? I prefer the look of the safari tank. But really need those extra three litres from the ims.

How do you find the screen? Does it affect the wind on the helmet visor much?
The screen is okay, but I never had too many complaints with the stock shroud. It's more for protection of the instruments than anything. I'll take a photo of the Nomad tomorrow for you. I went that route because everything I've read suggests the Safari tank should make 270 to 320 km, and the longest rally stage is 260 km, with most between 150 and 200 km (I've only brought the nomad as a contingency because i'm not exactly sure how far the Safari tank will get me at race pace). Anyway, so it seemed silly to lug the (significantly bulkier) IMS tank around when I didn't need that capacity most of the time. Also, I'd read a few things about the IMS tank taking knocks and afterwards leaking from the bungs, and I'd rather not worry about a mechanical failure. That failure thing might be Internet gossip, but I didn't need to risk it.
Old 09-15-2012, 05:53 PM   #30607
tmotten
Lefthand ride Dutchy

Oddometer: 2,456
Cool, cheers mate. Yeah, I'm a bit alarmed about the reported ims issues as well.
tmotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 07:15 PM   #30608
scoprire
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickInVA View Post
Where are you storing your documents (insurance & registration card) on your bike? I didn't see a good spot for them.

If you've taken the flapper off of the air box, the bolt for the air pump makes a good mounting point for a storage tube.

Something like this

http://www.lowes.com/pd_48633-12704-...amp&facetInfo=

+ something like this

http://safetycentral.com/olalmatbox.html

roll up the docs and they fit inside

If you've replaced your seat bolts w/ something that doesn't need tools like this, it makes it quick to get to them if you need them.

No one can see you posing in a blizzard.

scoprire screwed with this post 09-15-2012 at 07:24 PM
scoprire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 08:07 PM   #30609
bhd1223
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoprire View Post
If you've replaced your seat bolts w/ something that doesn't need tools like this, it makes it quick to get to them if you need them.

I'm guessing these are threaded. Is that true? Sadly I don't think there is a way to make it a quick disconnect but not needing tools would still be nice. Did you just buy pins and use a tap+die set to thread them?
Keeping the Vulcan for now. The ladies seem to love it.
bhd1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 08:29 PM   #30610
scoprire
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 176
Quote:
Did you just buy pins and use a tap+die set to thread them?
They are lynch pins that I cut to length and then ran thru a die. I'd love to have a real quick disconnect, but I haven't figured how to do it yet.

No one can see you posing in a blizzard.
scoprire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 06:11 AM   #30611
simmons1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,408
Quote:
They are lynch pins that I cut to length and then ran thru a die. I'd love to have a real quick disconnect, but I haven't figured how to do it yet.
Quickest disconnect would be don't use any bolts at all, and put small bungy cord over the rear of the seat to hold it on.
Old 09-16-2012, 06:26 AM   #30612
dirthauler
rolling rototiller

Oddometer: 1,719
Quote:
Originally Posted by simmons1 View Post
Quickest disconnect would be don't use any bolts at all, and put small bungy cord over the rear of the seat to hold it on.
how about cut threads on pins, thread into seat with that super strong green john deere thread lock and then drill a cross hole into the end of the pin? then a loop over locking pin into the cross hole? I will make a set soon and post pics and a how to if someone doesn't run with this idea first

happy that there is now a maine small bikes thread
dirthauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 06:43 AM   #30613
pfy50
Professional nOOb

Oddometer: 477
Quote:
Try Dzus fasteners http://www.bonaero.com/QuickFasteners.htm#DZUS
pfy50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 07:01 AM   #30614
simmons1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirthauler View Post
how about cut threads on pins, thread into seat with that super strong green john deere thread lock and then drill a cross hole into the end of the pin? then a loop over locking pin into the cross hole? I will make a set soon and post pics and a how to if someone doesn't run with this idea first
That is a lot of work compared to a bungy.
Old 09-16-2012, 07:15 AM   #30615
ADVCoop
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 771
Quote:
Originally Posted by simmons1 View Post
That is a lot of work compared to a bungy.
Yeah but not nearly as ugly haha.