Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-17-2012, 03:40 AM   #30631
flatboarder
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey View Post
So my experience with the 14t sprocket is all positive, allbeit, highway use, which is 90% of my thing. More than anything she seems to rev a fair bit lower. I love this little girl even more now. Regards John.
With my WR250R converted to Supermoto I have been using 14/42 (stock WRX: 13/42) for more than 10.000kms.
For commuting this is perfect. Lower engine revs, lower fuel consumption (3,5l/100km with my 130km/day backroad slope) and always relaxed riding at >100km/h.

However, when doing small winding roads in the mountains at 1500m of altitude up to 2500m (for the tour linked) it will not work out.
I regret not having used the stock 13 teeth sprocket. At greater altitude the WR becomes really weak at low rev. When going uphill as fast as possible through extremely tight bends and slow bigbikes, everytime you change gears you will get stuck at low rev . That is some kind of nasty for this sort of riding. Maybe not "unrideable" but rather near to it. Next time for these rides I will gear down to stock.
Greets, Phil
flatboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 06:32 AM   #30632
bighairless
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
Thank you WRR riders for this thread. I read a good deal of it before deciding to buy one earlier this summer. There is lots of good info here.

4,500 miles so far this year on the WR and loving it, what a great bike.

Thanks again!
Old 09-17-2012, 10:34 AM   #30633
japako
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 592
Pictures of front wires and holders

I had to put a new main switch(ignition) on my bike and like a dummy, I did not take pics.

I was wondering if someone has some pics or would take some with the headlight and shroud removed.

I also seem to have lost, or can't remember what the right side wire guide looks like or what it connects to.

Thanks for any help.
japako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 10:55 AM   #30634
jckid
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 312
WR250x & KLX351 Comparison

Well I finally had the chance to ride my '11 WR250x and my '09 KLX351 back to back yesterday. Here is my take:

The fit and finish on the WR seems superior to the KLX and it looks more modern. The KLX felt like a moped when it was new and was still a 250. The WR feels less moped-like in stock form. I noticed right away that if you shift down and rev up the WR, it actually pulls pretty good at higher RPM's. But my KLX (now with 351) pulls harder and has better throttle response than the WR. It has more torque, and you can tell. But once up to highway speeds the WR rides better. This may be partly due to the smooth tires vs. knobbies, but I think there's a difference in gearing. 6th gear on the WR feel almost like overdrive, where the KLX makes me wish for another gear. Both of my bikes are running stock gearing right now. I'm guessing top speed will be higher on the WR. Neither bike has much vibration in the bars, but the KLX has more vibration felt through the tank, seat, and footpegs...not terrible, but much more than the WR. For off-road riding, the KLX better suits my riding style. It has better low end grunt and is more luggable than the WR. The power delivery at slow speeds is also better. I think the off-idle slow speed fuel injection stumble on the WR might be a challenge for me off-road...I'm a slow rider though. A throttle tamer might help.

My original plan was to try to get down to one "do it all" bike...the WR. I was going to get a set of R wheels/tires and have the best of both worlds. But the more I thought about it, the less convinced I was. I'm short (5' 4") and to run R wheels I would need to lower the bike and cut the seat to get one foot down. But then I wouldn't really want it lower when running in X mode. And the kickstand would probably be too long in X mode if the bike were lowered. So to be totally happy when converting from X to R, I would have to swap wheels, install or remove lowering link, adjust fork height, change from low seat to tall seat, maybe change out the chain depending on sprocket selection, and possibly swap kickstands. This just seems like too much trouble, so I've decided that I will keep the KLX and use it as my 90% dirt/10% street bike and use the WR for adventure travel and 90% street/10% dirt.

Here are pics of both bikes for comparison:

WR250X ride report: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=903806

jckid screwed with this post 09-17-2012 at 11:04 AM
jckid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 12:28 PM   #30635
Nice_Rumble
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by japako View Post
I had to put a new main switch(ignition) on my bike and like a dummy, I did not take pics.

I was wondering if someone has some pics or would take some with the headlight and shroud removed.

I also seem to have lost, or can't remember what the right side wire guide looks like or what it connects to.

Thanks for any help.

Nice_Rumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 04:21 PM   #30636
Gfacter
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
I see the bike above has the front dropped a bit, did you lower the rear also?
Gfacter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 06:12 PM   #30637
japako
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 592
Nice Rumble,, thanks for the great pics. That really will help me put it back together. I owe ya one..
japako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 08:06 AM   #30638
byron555
Lame Duck Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,122
Heated Grips.... why didn't some one tell me...

How great these things are! I put them on yesterday, wire through a relay to the ignition switch and battery. I also added (finally) a GPS plug. Hands stayed toasty on the interstate at 70mph. Tusk brand, and only cost $20

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=997633
byron555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 08:25 AM   #30639
Nice_Rumble
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gfacter View Post
I see the bike above has the front dropped a bit, did you lower the rear also?
Correct.
Nice_Rumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 11:44 AM   #30640
Drax
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Big brake kit for WRR

I bought 17 inch rims for my WRR from Warp 9. They came with a stock brake rotor on the front. I want to put a bigger brake on the front but warp 9 is telling me no one makes a relocator bracket for the caliper. Does anyone know where I can get one?
Drax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 01:34 PM   #30641
Sewerat
Cert. bike whore

Oddometer: 1,271
Any good local machinist?
Old 09-18-2012, 01:44 PM   #30642
Mike_drz
Banned

Oddometer: 402
the chinese also pretty good as uk

______
look clean, play dirty is the key
Mike_drz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 01:45 PM   #30643
flatboarder
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drax View Post
I bought 17 inch rims for my WRR from Warp 9. They came with a stock brake rotor on the front. I want to put a bigger brake on the front but warp 9 is telling me no one makes a relocator bracket for the caliper. Does anyone know where I can get one?
Well, mine was tailormade. That could be done for your caliper easily. However, what is your location?
Old 09-18-2012, 01:55 PM   #30644
Drax
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatboarder View Post
Well, mine was tailormade. That could be done for your caliper easily. However, what is your location?
I'm in Alberta Canada
Drax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 01:57 PM   #30645
flatboarder
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drax View Post
I'm in Alberta Canada
Ok, in this case I have no idea what company could do this job for you, but at least over here it is not very expensive and no problem at all.