Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2012, 01:35 PM   #30646
theMISSIONARY
hunting and riding!!

Oddometer: 2,089
Quote:
Originally Posted by byron555 View Post
How great these things are! I put them on yesterday, wire through a relay to the ignition switch and battery. I also added (finally) a GPS plug. Hands stayed toasty on the interstate at 70mph. Tusk brand, and only cost $20

Next mods i am doing + the IMS

WR250r of Awesomeness.......now with extra added Awesomeness!
theMISSIONARY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 01:59 PM   #30647
Crawdaddy
Navigate 2 Adventure

Oddometer: 2,205
Red Light District.....and I ain't talking Hookers.....

Blew out my fan a while back.....needless to say, shortly thereafter the bike's overtemp light would come on occasionally if not moving at a good clip.........Switched over to my 300 while I waited for a new fan to arrive........replaced the fan (and verified working condition) but the light is now coming on/staying on even when traveling at a good clip with the fan on?

Oil is fresh, oil/air filters are clean

FMF fuel programer is set up to adjust for 290 Athena kit (no over temp issues in first ~500 miles with new top end when original fan was still working fine)

Coolant level fine/No boil over

Havevn't run with cap off yet to see if water is circulating......could be bad water pump?

Haven't checked the plug yet to see if it's running hot/lean?

Spent thermostat?
http://www.WhereAmIRiding.com
Crawdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 02:40 PM   #30648
Rapid Dog
bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer: 9,035
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatboarder View Post
Well, mine was tailormade. That could be done for your caliper easily. However, what is your location?
I want to go the other way. My X is now an R with Warp big wheels.
But I'd like to swap the Warp rotor with the better floating OEM X rotor.
Enough peeps had that interest I may be swayed into doing the CAD and I do have a machinist...

Rapid Dog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 03:04 PM   #30649
coresports
coresports

Oddometer: 247

bad temp sensor? just a thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawdaddy View Post
Blew out my fan a while back.....needless to say, shortly thereafter the bike's overtemp light would come on occasionally if not moving at a good clip.........Switched over to my 300 while I waited for a new fan to arrive........replaced the fan (and verified working condition) but the light is now coming on/staying on even when traveling at a good clip with the fan on?

FMF fuel programer is set up to adjust for 290 Athena kit (no over temp issues in first ~500 miles with new top end when original fan was still working fine)

Havevn't run with cap off yet to see if water is circulating......could be bad water pump?

Spent thermostat?
coresports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 03:18 PM   #30650
Crawdaddy
Navigate 2 Adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by coresports View Post

bad temp sensor? just a thought.
I'll be relieved "if" it's something simple...

Is there a way to test that or just drop a few $$ and put in a new one? P/N & Location?
Old 09-18-2012, 06:50 PM   #30651
scottmac
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,501
THERMOSENSOR ASSY
5PS-85790-00-00
1$39.98$27.39

http://www.servicehondapsn.com/fiche...008&fveh=18085
scottmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 08:19 PM   #30652
Mr. Fisherman
Ray soon to be AWAY!

Oddometer: 10,532
Quote:

Spent thermostat?
Quote:
I'll be relieved "if" it's something simple...

Is there a way to test that or just drop a few $$ and put in a new one? P/N & Location?
Woa there Nelley....

It is easy to check... a while back in this thread I posted the proceedure... when I get back to my computer I will re-post it. Just put it in diagnostic mode and compare the air temp to the engine temp. You can also test the relay for the fan.

Have you checked the coolant level?

Try the simple things... no need to start throwing money at it. if one of the temp sensors was bad it should have thrown a code... if one is ailing or fouled the diagnostic mode should help find it.

Also, clean your air filter... again...
Mr. Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 07:44 AM   #30653
ArmyJoe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,095
Backstory: I bought a WRR (my first two-wheeler) late last year, rode it a few times, and then deployed. The only mods I made are a lowering link and a Powerlet outlet on the handlebars for my GPS. I have a Fly Trekker helmet, but no other moto/DS clothes. I have Harbor Freight stand, but no other motorcycle-specific tools.

Question: Christmas is coming soon. I'm not sure what our budget will be, but I want to make it easy on the wife. Can you guys recommend stuff under $100 that would be appropriate for a noob?

My latest adventures detailed at ArmyJoe's Perpetual Picture Thread:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=888783

ArmyJoe screwed with this post 09-19-2012 at 08:15 AM
ArmyJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 07:48 AM   #30654
byron555
Lame Duck Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,110
Off Road much?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyJoe View Post
Backstory: *I bought a WRR (my first two-wheeler)*late last year, rode it a few times, and then deployed. The only mods I made are a lowering link and a Powerlet outlet on the handlebars for my GPS. *I have a Fly Trekker helmet, but no other moto/DS clothes. I have Harbor Freight stand, but no other motorcycle-specific tools.*

Question: Christmas is coming soon. I'm not sure what our budget will be, but I want to make it easy on the wife. Can you guys recommend stuff under $100 that would be appropriate for a noob?

Either the radiator guard or skid plate... Not sure which is more necessary, I have both.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=997633
byron555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 08:12 AM   #30655
DaymienRules
Traffic target

Oddometer: 197
Quote:
Backstory: *I bought a WRR (my first two-wheeler)*late last year, rode it a few times, and then deployed. The only mods I made are a lowering link and a Powerlet outlet on the handlebars for my GPS. *I have a Fly Trekker helmet, but no other moto/DS clothes. I have Harbor Freight stand, but no other motorcycle-specific tools.*

If you're a new rider, chances are you will fall/drop the bike a lot. So off the top of my head...

handguards would prob be first, a broken lever can ruin your day pretty quick
some sort of body armor (ds jacket or pressure suit)
cheap MX boots and shin guards if you want to play in the dirt
skidplate

a 2nd air filter,(i'm way more likely to change a filter out if there is a clean one on the shelf waiting)
msr chain breaker ( you WILL need one at some point with the WRR. HF also sells one, but its one of those tools I'd rather not skimp on)
Pick set, snap ring pliers, bearing grease

$100 worth of signed permission slips
DaymienRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 08:20 AM   #30656
ArmyJoe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,095
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaymienRules View Post
$100 worth of signed permission slips
LOL, got that covered. I'll be off for two months when I get back, so I'll have plenty of time to ride.

Thanks for the suggestions so far and sorry for the asterisks in the original post. That's some weird side effect of typing my post in iPhone's Notes app and pasting it into the Safari browser.

My latest adventures detailed at ArmyJoe's Perpetual Picture Thread:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=888783
ArmyJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 08:21 AM   #30657
bigdon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,451
Quote:
Backstory: I bought a WRR (my first two-wheeler) late last year, rode it a few times, and then deployed. The only mods I made are a lowering link and a Powerlet outlet on the handlebars for my GPS. I have a Fly Trekker helmet, but no other moto/DS clothes. I have Harbor Freight stand, but no other motorcycle-specific tools.

PM me your address and I will send you a skid plate!
It's dirty but the price is right!

Don't stop riding until you get to the crash , you might save it!
bigdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 10:06 AM   #30658
Crawdaddy
Navigate 2 Adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Fisherman View Post
Woa there Nelley....

It is easy to check... a while back in this thread I posted the proceedure... when I get back to my computer I will re-post it. Just put it in diagnostic mode and compare the air temp to the engine temp. You can also test the relay for the fan.

Have you checked the coolant level?

Try the simple things... no need to start throwing money at it. if one of the temp sensors was bad it should have thrown a code... if one is ailing or fouled the diagnostic mode should help find it.

Also, clean your air filter... again...
Thanks guys.....
Old 09-19-2012, 01:22 PM   #30659
freetors
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 803
Welp I will be working on some modifications to my Safari tank in the next couple weeks. I went to start up my bike after getting off work and it cranked and cranked just fine but wouldn't fire. I knew I was getting low on gas but I should have had ~35 miles left, I was actually planning on going to the gas station right after work. I looked in the tank and saw gas, but also saw that tubes that suck the gas out of the wings were roughly horizontal instead of verticalish like they should be. The well around the electric pump was basically dry. put a bit of gas in and it fired right up.

I'm planning on attaching either some weights to the tubes to hold them down in the bottom or finding some way to attach the tubes to the side of the tank. I'm also going to make an aluminum cylinder to make the well deeper around the electric pump like another member did with a 2 liter pop bottle.
freetors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 02:22 PM   #30660
10Cup
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by freetors View Post
Welp I will be working on some modifications to my Safari tank in the next couple weeks. I went to start up my bike after getting off work and it cranked and cranked just fine but wouldn't fire. I knew I was getting low on gas but I should have had ~35 miles left, I was actually planning on going to the gas station right after work. I looked in the tank and saw gas, but also saw that tubes that suck the gas out of the wings were roughly horizontal instead of verticalish like they should be. The well around the electric pump was basically dry. put a bit of gas in and it fired right up.

I'm planning on attaching either some weights to the tubes to hold them down in the bottom or finding some way to attach the tubes to the side of the tank. I'm also going to make an aluminum cylinder to make the well deeper around the electric pump like another member did with a 2 liter pop bottle.
You may find this helpful
10Cup Mod
10Cup is offline   Reply With Quote