User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2012, 03:53 PM   #30796
dhally
Hammerhead

Oddometer: 1,993
Stiff front brake lever

My new/used WRR has a very stiff front brake lever. When I got the bike it had apparently been sunk in a mud hole. I replaced the light switch, took apart the throttle assembly and cleaned/lubed it. I took out the brake pads and cleaned/sanded them since the fork seals had been leaking. I also replaced the brake fluid and bled. The old fluid appeared to be clean but it was a little off-color.

Right after I bled the brakes it seemed to have better feel for a very short time, now it's back to stiff. I can skid the front tire on dirt with moderate to strong pressure, but I'm thinking a pavement panic stop will be quite long.

Any ideas? Or are they all like this?
dhally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 05:06 PM   #30797
riverman
Life is great !

Oddometer: 147
OldPete,

Add me to the list of those who are totally satisfied with stock engine. I have done the other mods mentionned - seat concepts foam, 14/50 gearing, cycra handguards, 3.1 gal gas tank - and that is probably all I will do excepting the foot pegs which I will replace with a wider pair. It is sort of like canoeing in that a person must figure out the type of riding they want to do and then buy a machine that suits. For me this bike suits fine for the type of riding I do with the dualsport, poking around, exploring, camping. Take a peek at bigdogadventures trips and comments on the WR as well as Highfive's, Crooked Creek. Great info there.

Good luck and enjoy!

'11 WR250R
'13 Tiger 800XC
riverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 06:40 AM   #30798
pfy50
Professional nOOb

Oddometer: 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhally View Post
My new/used WRR has a very stiff front brake lever. When I got the bike it had apparently been sunk in a mud hole. I replaced the light switch, took apart the throttle assembly and cleaned/lubed it. I took out the brake pads and cleaned/sanded them since the fork seals had been leaking. I also replaced the brake fluid and bled. The old fluid appeared to be clean but it was a little off-color.

Right after I bled the brakes it seemed to have better feel for a very short time, now it's back to stiff. I can skid the front tire on dirt with moderate to strong pressure, but I'm thinking a pavement panic stop will be quite long.

Hi dhally

Did you check the caliper pistons and seals for debris or damage; seals and dust cover should probably be replaced? If they are in spec.(pistons) check for a small kink or damage to the brake line and re-bleed line, that off color fluid may have been water in line. If not check for a loose union bolt then only thing left is replace master cylinder kit; but thats the last resort thing to do.
pfy50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 07:11 AM   #30799
coresports
coresports

Oddometer: 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhally View Post

the brakes on these bikes are not that way at all, very smooth, progressive and powerful. i suspect the brake line also as one of pfy50's ideas suggest or the brake pads are bad from the leaking fork fluid but those would be just be guesses on my part. good luck and please let us know when you get this resolved and congrats on the new/used purchase!
coresports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 07:27 AM   #30800
duanew1
In my Pajama pants

Oddometer: 745
Quote:
Originally Posted by coresports View Post
i suspect the brake line also as one of pfy50's ideas suggest or the brake pads are bad from the leaking fork fluid but those would be just be guesses on my part.
I agree. I have heard that the brake pads tend to absorb the fork oil and is really hard to get rid of all of it. They probably need to be replaced and the rotor cleaned again.

My XT225 when I got it had been leaking fork oil onto the front rotor and it was like it had no front brakes. I cleaned it up with new pads and now it works great.
2008 SYM HD200
duanew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 09:24 AM   #30801
jckid
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 301
Mods finally started...

Well I've had my WR/X for a couple of months now and finally started on mods to get it ready for traveling. This bike replaced my Husky SM610...I had this crazy idea to downsize ...We'll see how it goes!

At this point I'm not planning on doing any power upgrades, so my farkles are mainly geared toward traveling, and some are just bling. I'm a girl, so I think a little bling is ok.

Here's the bike as it sits after the first round of mods:

So far I've added:

- Renthal CR Hi 7/8" bars
- Zeta bend handguards w/XC shields
- Zeta 3-finger flex levers (work well with my really small hands)
- Pro Grip 791 triple density grips
- Zeta stabilizer top clamp
- Zeta steering plug
- RAM mount for GPS
- Laminar Lip (mini windshield) - BMW Fundero version (previously used on my Husky)
- Fastway footpegs with F5 cleats
- Driven folding aluminum shifter
- Z-Carbon rear caliper guards
- Zeta heel guard
- Zeta drive cover
- Billet rear rack - large version (from eBay, but made by a member on here)

Additionally I plan to add the following in the near future:
- Renazco Racing seat
- Avon Distanzia tires

I plan to keep the big taillight and blinkers, even though I prefer the Edge setup, because I think these are more visible on the road.

And my travel bags will be the ones I used on my Husky & KLX:
- Wolfman tank bag
- Wolfman enduro saddlebags
- Motofizz small camping bag (as tailbag)
- Ortlieb small duffle

Here are a few detail pics:

When I was choosing upgrade items, I had a hard time finding pictures of everything, so I'm hoping these pics might help someone else out.

WR250X ride report: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=903806
jckid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 09:40 AM   #30802
dhally
Hammerhead

Oddometer: 1,993
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfy50 View Post
Hi dhally

Did you check the caliper pistons and seals for debris or damage; seals and dust cover should probably be replaced? If they are in spec.(pistons) check for a small kink or damage to the brake line and re-bleed line, that off color fluid may have been water in line. If not check for a loose union bolt then only thing left is replace master cylinder kit; but thats the last resort thing to do.
No I didn't disassemble the calipers - since the brakes aren't leaking. Probably need to order up some new parts and take it apart this winter...
dhally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 09:56 AM   #30803
ArmyJoe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,060
Quote:
Originally Posted by jckid View Post
Well I've had my WR/X for a couple of months now and finally started on mods to get it ready for traveling. Here are a few detail pics:

When I was choosing upgrade items, I had a hard time finding pictures of everything, so I'm hoping these pics might help someone else out.
Who makes this rack? Are those holes for Rotopax and Givi mounts?

My latest adventures detailed at ArmyJoe's Perpetual Picture Thread:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=888783
ArmyJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 11:16 AM   #30804
jckid
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyJoe View Post
Who makes this rack? Are those holes for Rotopax and Givi mounts?
I can't remember the guys username, but he's on here. You can search for the rack on ebay under WR250R billet rear rack. Yes, the holes are for Rotopax and Givi mounts. He shows pics in his ad of those items attached. My rack is the larger size. It was kind of pricy, but I think it's a great looking rack and it works with my tailbag. I had a BBQ style rack on my Husky and wanted something better looking this time around.

WR250X ride report: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=903806
jckid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 11:25 AM   #30805
ArmyJoe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,060
Quote:
I can't remember the guys username, but he's on here. You can search for the rack on ebay under WR250R billet rear rack. Yes, the holes are for Rotopax and Givi mounts. He shows pics in his ad of those items attached. My rack is the larger size. It was kind of pricy, but I think it's a great looking rack and it works with my tailbag. I had a BBQ style rack on my Husky and wanted something better looking this time around.
Thanks for the info. I can't get to eBay easily because of web filters, but I'll check it out when I can.

My latest adventures detailed at ArmyJoe's Perpetual Picture Thread:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=888783
ArmyJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 11:34 AM   #30806
Nice_Rumble
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,199
Quote:
$135.00

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-Wr250...sories&vxp=mtr

https://www.facebook.com/groups/212396922304662/
Nice_Rumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 12:55 PM   #30807
Sewcrates
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Just got one of the billet racks. It is freakin' awesome! I was shopping around for a long time before I stumbled into this one. It is exactly what I was looking for: small, relatively cheap, high-quality, non-BBQ style, rotopax compatible, wolfman E-10 compatible. I got the smaller of the two for price and function.
This one fit the bill. Check out the link for the guy that makes them:
http://wr250rforum.forumotion.com/t6...=homemade+rack
Sewcrates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 01:03 PM   #30808
Gany
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 300
Check out the racks development in Jared's thread here: http://wr250rforum.forumotion.com/t6...rack-available
Gany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 01:47 PM   #30809
indypup
╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Oddometer: 3,238
Nut Cracker 200 Dual Sport Ride Part 1

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist hangs his head out the window! Be real, be whole, be innovative.
indypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 03:29 PM   #30810
godwinmt
They call me Crash

Oddometer: 533
Hey Gang -

I got t-boned heading to lunch at work about a month ago on my DR650...after insurance totalled it, I decided that something a little lighter would be nice since I'm riding more and more offroad, and my leg will be a bit iffy by the time they let me ride again. So, after chatting with Bigdog, I started looking for WR's. I picked up galland1's WRX a week ago, and have been super impressed by it. With my broken leg , I won't be able to ride for quite a while, but it's nice to have it here pestering me...

Anyhoo, I got in some USCG reflective tape today to make my helmet a bit more visible, and thought I'd add some to the bike as well. Turned out nicely!

godwinmt is offline   Reply With Quote