Old 09-30-2012, 07:43 PM   #30826
RichardU
Let's Ride

Oddometer: 890
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid Dog View Post
Sooo....any gurus out there?

I'm scratchin' my head here.
Not a guru, but I have installed a big bore. Have you checked the connection to the throttle body?
RichardU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 03:47 AM   #30827
calfinm
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Just decided to read this thread from begining...about a quarter in..what a monster.. Learnt alot though, great so many people willing to share..Least I can offer is a couple of pics from last little bit of scratching up the coast.

cruddy phone pics but this bike is a winner (yup we know this), I love it does everything from annoying the road bikes on the windys to bashing up the beach.

calfinm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 07:40 AM   #30828
DaymienRules
Traffic target

Oddometer: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_l View Post
Home-made Plexiglass headlight guard. Doesn't seem to affect headlight pattern (I very rarely ride at night anyway, so it's just for conspicuity), and so far heat hasn't affected the Velcro.
Posted mine in another thread. It was all of 10 bucks and about 40 minutes work. I wanted it spaced out a bit so I could easily clean behind it. No broken light thus far.

DaymienRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 03:02 PM   #30829
jckid
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryphon12 View Post
JCKID - did you power-coat your rack? I don't see a black option on the website.

Also, the number of edge slots and edge holes / pattern are different between your rack and the silver one in the photos above. Anyone know why? I'd like to order the right rack the first time.
Looks like you got your answer, but just to confirm...mine is the larger size rack and it came annodized black. On ebay it sort of looks gray in the pics, but it is black. If you plan to carry a tailbag, I would recommend the larger size. It is kind of expensive, but it looks like a work of art!

WR250X ride report: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=903806
jckid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 03:10 PM   #30830
Gryphon12
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,259
JC - thanks. I sort of got my answer. Neither website says anything about size, and your rack has a different pattern of slots (more) and holes (fewer) than those shown on the website.

To be honest, it doesn't matter yet, as I haven't pulled the trigger on a WRX. I'm hoping that changes soon, however. And I like to plan ahead so that the mods don't take forever!

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world;
indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Gryphon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:17 PM   #30831
iWander
Adventure Geek

Oddometer: 58
Brought my WR250r home a week ago and I LOVE IT!. Thanks to everyone here for all the great info! I'm still reading but without this mega thread I don't know if I would have paid any attention to this bike because of its size. Now my Versys just sits in the garage and watches us go play.

So he's my question. I've read a lot about swapping out sprockets to get more power off road. I really like the gearing as-is for commuting, but I'm planning a trip to Colorado next August to ride some trails. If I don't change my gearing do you suppose I'll regret it? I'm 49 years old and I'm more into general trail riding than trying to scale an 89 cliff. I've swapped sprockets on other bikes so the actual task isn't an issue.
iWander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:25 PM   #30832
iWander
Adventure Geek

Oddometer: 58
...and the obligatory pic.

iWander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:25 PM   #30833
Buzzbomber
Not Dr. Who...

Oddometer: 1,231
Go for it. I run 13/47 and I've done several 300+ mile road trip days. It's no fun trying to maintain 70+ mph for any length of time but it's fine at 55-60. Besides, running high speed for that long, I've been able to SEE the tire wear at the end of the day(I usually run T-63s) . The advantage to the shorter gearing for my use isn't really so much the better torque as the ability to go slower without worrying about the clutch in dicey terrain.
Buzzbomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:31 PM   #30834
Spank
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryphon12 View Post
JC - thanks. I sort of got my answer. Neither website says anything about size, and your rack has a different pattern of slots (more) and holes (fewer) than those shown on the website.

To be honest, it doesn't matter yet, as I haven't pulled the trigger on a WRX. I'm hoping that changes soon, however. And I like to plan ahead so that the mods don't take forever!
There's 2 sizes of racks. JC's is the bigger version. The silver one pictured in the previous page by nice_rumble (page 2055) is the smaller version.

The bigger one is rotopax and GIVI Monokey compatible. The smaller one rotopax compatible.

Just mounted up my small rack and that thing is rock solid and really nice craftsmanship.
Spank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:11 PM   #30835
HardWorkingDog
Harvey Mushman

Oddometer: 1,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by iWander View Post
...So here's my question. I've read a lot about swapping out sprockets to get more power off road. I really like the gearing as-is for commuting, but I'm planning a trip to Colorado next August to ride some trails. If I don't change my gearing do you suppose I'll regret it?...
How often do you run in 6th gear? I realized even at freeway speeds I was running 5th most often...6th was just wasted for me with stock gearing. Lowering the gearing allowed me better low speed control, and now I use 6th routinely for high speed stuff. Just right for me, you'll have to see for yourself after riding a bit more.

Next Trip: Divide & Conquer...

"it's a dog's life.............and I love it"
HardWorkingDog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:35 PM   #30836
skierd
Wannabe Far-Rider

Oddometer: 2,861
With R wheels and stock sized tires (120/80-18) - stock gearing is ok for most street and docile dirt road/two track use, but really could use a change on tight trails unless you love slipping the clutch. If its mostly street work with the odd trail day, get a 12T to swap on for play and run stock gearing most of the time. Or, go up from the stock 43 rear to a 45 or 46 for a lot more low speed grunt and controllability without sacrificing too much highway speed.

With R wheels and plus sized tires (like the 120/90-18 D606 thats so popular), go with a 13/46 or /47 minimum. You'll need the extra gear to turn the taller tire, both because the taller size changing the effective gearing and because of its extra weight. If you want extra oomph on trails, some people like a 48 or even a 50 rear sprocket but its going to drop the comfortable cruising speed a bunch.

With X wheels, I love the stock 13/42 gearing for all around street riding. Similar recommendations for gearing changes with regards to tire size changes, depending on the amount of trail/track riding you're doing. Right now I'm running a 150/70-17 (too big imo) with 13/45 gearing (perfect with the big tire).
skierd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:39 PM   #30837
HardWorkingDog
Harvey Mushman

Oddometer: 1,673

Hiya, Dave

Next Trip: Divide & Conquer...

"it's a dog's life.............and I love it"
HardWorkingDog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 02:53 AM   #30838
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,821
Quote:
So he's my question. I've read a lot about swapping out sprockets to get more power off road. I really like the gearing as-is for commuting, but I'm planning a trip to Colorado next August to ride some trails. If I don't change my gearing do you suppose I'll regret it? I'm 49 years old and I'm more into general trail riding than trying to scale an 89 cliff. I've swapped sprockets on other bikes so the actual task isn't an issue.
I currently have 12/43 on (from original owner), and like it a lot. Due to the concern about the chain eating thru the seal guard and damaging the swing-arm, I plan to swap to 13/47 when my chain shows signs of wearing out. I also have a new seal guard on-hand, and the situation check regularly, no issues yet.

I just ordered a 47 T Primary Drive steel sprocket (1022350055) from Rocky Mountain ATV (I needed something to make the free shipping minimum), and I have a like-new OEM 13T front sprocket already. Will buy a new chain when funds permit; right now my factory chain looks great (5,500 km).

jon_l screwed with this post 10-02-2012 at 03:00 AM
jon_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:23 AM   #30839
byron555
Lame Duck Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,115
Drive train

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_l View Post
I currently have 12/43 on (from original owner), and like it a lot. Due to the concern about the chain eating thru the seal guard and damaging the swing-arm, I plan to swap to 13/47 when my chain shows signs of wearing out. I also have a new seal guard on-hand, and the situation check regularly, no issues yet.

I just ordered a 47 T Primary Drive steel sprocket (1022350055) from Rocky Mountain ATV (I needed something to make the free shipping minimum), and I have a like-new OEM 13T front sprocket already. Will buy a new chain when funds permit; right now my factory chain looks great (5,500 km).
My stock chain/sprockets did eat my seal guard and swing arm. So When I order from Rocky Mtn, I got a Primary Drive 112 link chain and 14/49 sprokets (DON'T FORGET THE TAPERED BOLT KIT, like I did). I used the stock bolts temporarily for a weekend trip up North with no ill effects, however, they were not very tight when I replaced them 350 miles later.
I've got the stock 13t for single track trips and other low speed stuff, but the 14/49 works great as an all around gearing, and the new chain made for a much quitter ride. (48t rear would work good too)

To reach the shipping minimum, order the motion pro mini fork bleeders? I have those and they are handy.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=997633
byron555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:41 AM   #30840
bash3r
I ain't no DingWeed

Oddometer: 1,697
Quote:
...and the obligatory pic.

YES!!!!

ADV Gear | 3 Step Hideaway |Campground POIs
bash3r is offline   Reply With Quote