Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2012, 07:47 AM   #30841
Mikef5000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,030
Quote:
Originally Posted by byron555 View Post
...When I order from Rocky Mtn, I got a Primary Drive 112 link chain and 14/49 sprokets (DON'T FORGET THE TAPERED BOLT KIT, like I did).

Since you were ordering from Rocky Mtn, why didn't you just get the right sprocket to use your factory bolts? Not trying to be a dick, serious question. More sprocket choices or something?
Mikef5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:14 AM   #30842
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,881
Quote:
My stock chain/sprockets did eat my seal guard and swing arm. So When I order from Rocky Mtn, I got a Primary Drive 112 link chain and 14/49 sprokets (DON'T FORGET THE TAPERED BOLT KIT, like I did). I used the stock bolts temporarily for a weekend trip up North with no ill effects, however, they were not very tight when I replaced them 350 miles later.
I've got the stock 13t for single track trips and other low speed stuff, but the 14/49 works great as an all around gearing, and the new chain made for a much quitter ride. (48t rear would work good too)

To reach the shipping minimum, order the motion pro mini fork bleeders? I have those and they are handy.
Thanks for the input Byron. I monitor the situation regularly. I already have the 13/47 paid for so will probably go with it. My reading suggests it isn't sprocket size that causes it, but more likely a work-out, kinked chain. A smaller front sprocket would not cause it, but it could exacerbate the situation.

Funny about the bolts - I asked a Rocky Mtn rep about them and was told I don't need them. That would be really irritating to need and not have. I'm glad you mentioned them.

Is this what you used? http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/...sprocket+bolts

jon_l screwed with this post 10-02-2012 at 09:03 AM
jon_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:38 AM   #30843
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 10,080
I like my stock gearing, but there have been a few times I wish I had lower gearing. My habit is to ride nothing tougher than two track, but they can have washouts and such that make for a lot of clutch slipping. Also, trying to extract the back wheel from a rut can be challenging because of the tall first gear. I generally get off the bike and walk along side her to get her out.

I'll probably leave it stock for now, but I'm due for a new chainset so maybe not. That 14/49 option sounds good. It's a little taller than the 12/43 I had on it for awhile.

I use stock size 120/80/18 Michelin T63 tire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iWander View Post
Brought my WR250r home a week ago and I LOVE IT!. Thanks to everyone here for all the great info! I'm still reading but without this mega thread I don't know if I would have paid any attention to this bike because of its size. Now my Versys just sits in the garage and watches us go play.

So he's my question. I've read a lot about swapping out sprockets to get more power off road. I really like the gearing as-is for commuting, but I'm planning a trip to Colorado next August to ride some trails. If I don't change my gearing do you suppose I'll regret it? I'm 49 years old and I'm more into general trail riding than trying to scale an 89° cliff. I've swapped sprockets on other bikes so the actual task isn't an issue.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:44 AM   #30844
TwilightZone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,779
>"not a sprocket size that causes it, but more likely a work-out, kinked chain. A smaller front sprocket would not cause it, but it could exacerbate the situation."

I ate my chain guard in Baja with a new chain/sprockets and a band new guard on before making the trip. Pretty sure it was from carrying luggage on the bike... and I'm f'n heavy too.

I'm pretty sure an overly loaded bike did it... if you get the swing arm up in it's travel, you've got to watch the chain guard wear carefully. Since Baja, I went to 14x49 sprockets. I now have an extra 5,000 miles on the bike and I don't show any wear on the swingarm portion of the guard yet.

RM offers up to 52 tooth rear sprockets... If you get the WRR sprockets (not the F model), they have 2 hole sets so you can use either the square or countersunk bolts.

>"That 14/49 option sounds good. It's a little taller than the 12/43 I had on it for awhile."

I'd go 50+ on the rear. 14/49 is a little tall geared.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:02 AM   #30845
Krabill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,633
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_l View Post
I just ordered a 47 T Primary Drive steel sprocket (1022350055) from Rocky Mountain ATV (I needed something to make the free shipping minimum), and I have a like-new OEM 13T front sprocket already. Will buy a new chain when funds permit; right now my factory chain looks great (5,500 km).
That's nice that your stock chain still looks great, but you'll find it isn't long enough to use with a 47T sprocket. You'll need a longer chain.
Krabill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:10 AM   #30846
Longboardr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
Quote:
DON'T FORGET THE TAPERED BOLT KIT, like I did
I ordered the kit but it turned out I didn't need them, at the time I bought a 48 and 50 tooth Primary Drive sprocket. I've since bought a 52 tooth Primary Drive sprocket and didn't need the tapered bolts either. The sprockets come with two different sets of holes, one for a tapered bolt and one that fits the bolts that came on your bike from Yamaha.
Longboardr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 10:52 AM   #30847
iWander
Adventure Geek

Oddometer: 58
Thanks for all the responses, I appreciate it! I'll do some experimenting between now and next August....like I really needed another reason to put miles on the new toy...

To answer your question, HardWorkingDog, I actually use 6th gear pretty often. More of an afterthought than out of necessity though because it (marginally) improves my gas mileage. I also ride the super slab at least once a day for 15 minutes, and I feel like I may be stressing out the motor if I don't use 6th gear.

Either way, I'm good with swapping it/them out. Should be interesting.
iWander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:28 AM   #30848
ArmyJoe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,101
If I had a buck for every time I tried to shift to 7th...

My latest adventures detailed at ArmyJoe's Perpetual Picture Thread:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=888783
ArmyJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 04:26 PM   #30849
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krabill View Post
That's nice that your stock chain still looks great, but you'll find it isn't long enough to use with a 47T sprocket. You'll need a longer chain.
Thanks Krabill. I noted that the new sprockets are waiting until the OEM chain is finished, so I can replace all 3 at one time. I have the like-new take-off 13T OEM front from the original owner, and ordered the new 47T rear earlier to put me over the free shipping minimum at Rocky Mtn.

When I order a new chain, I'll get a 110 or 112 (not sure which, so prob the longer one?).

jon_l screwed with this post 10-02-2012 at 04:36 PM
jon_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 04:31 PM   #30850
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longboardr View Post
I ordered the kit but it turned out I didn't need them, at the time I bought a 48 and 50 tooth Primary Drive sprocket. I've since bought a 52 tooth Primary Drive sprocket and didn't need the tapered bolts either. The sprockets come with two different sets of holes, one for a tapered bolt and one that fits the bolts that came on your bike from Yamaha.
Wish there was consensus on this. Another poster just tolod me to be sure to buy the bolts

I asked a Rocky Mountain parts rep about it today, and this was the reply:

Hi Jon,

I have been checking into this and from looking at the OEM Schematics of your bike I can’t tell if the sprocket bolt has a tapered head on it or not. If it does your stock bolts should work just fine. This Primary Drive Sprocket doesn’t have a special taper on it and it looks exactly like the Renthal Taper. If your stock bolts are a flat based it might work as well because on this Primary Drive Sprocket it has what looks like two sets of holes (one for flat based and one for tapered). If you want to check into this and let me know what you find we can get you taken care of.

If you have any questions let me know.
Thanks and have a great day!

Wes

Krabill - I think you were the first WRR guy I noticed using Primary Drive brand; can you shed some light on this question?
Old 10-02-2012, 04:32 PM   #30851
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyJoe View Post
If I had a buck for every time I tried to shift to 7th...
Maybe because I avoid divided / high-speed highways, I rarely use 6th (12/43 gearing). I typically ride 80 kph (50 mph) roads to get to slower roads/gravel/dirt.
Old 10-02-2012, 04:39 PM   #30852
Nice_Rumble
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,234
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_l View Post
when i order a new chain, i'll get a 110 or 112 (not sure which, so prob the longer one?).

https://www.facebook.com/groups/212396922304662/
Nice_Rumble is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 05:10 PM   #30853
jkstehn
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
In answer to primary drive bolt head issue for the rear wheel. I recently put on the 50 tooth primary drive brand and the sprocket came with both tapered and regular holes drilled. I had ordered the tapered bolts so I put them in but could easily have used the original bolts. Both lined up fine. Saved the standard bolts for spares.

I have a 14 in the front, with 50 in back and 112 links and love the change for both off road and every day rideabilty. Easily does 70 mph (GPS) for commuting on the LA freeways. Planning on going to 13-50 and an MT 43 rear for the LA-Barstow-Vegas ride. Should be perfect for 400 miles of desert and mountains.:)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

jkstehn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 05:32 PM   #30854
japako
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 592
X and R rear fender??

Could someone please tell me if the X and R fenders will swap.
I want to order a white fender and need to know if they will before I do.

Thanks for helping..

japako screwed with this post 10-02-2012 at 05:47 PM
japako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:13 PM   #30855
scottmac
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,511
Quote:
Originally Posted by japako View Post
Could someone please tell me if the X and R fenders will swap.
I want to order a white fender and need to know if they will before I do.

Thanks for helping..
Absolutely no difference except for colors.
scottmac is offline   Reply With Quote