Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-2012, 12:12 AM   #30916
xy500
Loser

Oddometer: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llamaha View Post
I took my WR250R to Broome once and it was terrible in the sand, it took so much physical strength to get it to do anything and I'd be worn out in 20-30 minutes of it and I'm at the gym 4-5 nights a week. This was its real downfall imo, thankfully there's no sand where I live now, for here it's the best bike ever imo!
Sounds like you need to do more cardio and less weights then.
Sand is where it's at.
Old 10-07-2012, 01:23 AM   #30917
GSF1200S
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 976
Well, if any of you are looking to sell a WR250R and are somewhat near Pensacola, PM me

I think I purchased the wrong bike when I got my DR
GSF1200S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 05:22 AM   #30918
fred flintstone
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by byron555 View Post
My wr suffered the same way as this one.... PO, good intentions, and stupid as the day is long, really F*cked up the suspension settings height adjustments and compression/dampening settings. My dad bought it first, and I helped with the adjusting of the fork and shock ride height while on a trip in the U.P. Results where overwhelmingly positive, twitchiness was gone, handling was night and day. We got the compression/dampening better too, but not great.

Fast forward 1.5 years later, my dad sold it to me as is and cheap ($2200). I figured the back shock was blown by the way it rode, searched the internet for a good baseline start for settings and dialed them in on the whole bike. Problem solved, that was this March and I have since put on 6000 miles this season. I did add some farkles from my old bike, wider bars etc

Power wise, coming from an xt225 it should have been night and day. Did you get it into the higher rpms? If you drive it like a crf230L (similar to an xt225) and keep the RPMs low to mid it will feel like a dog
My PO did similar with the suspension, which was quickly fixed, but also messed with the CO setting. Now THAT I did not know about for quite a while and just rode the bike figuring all small singles ran that bad. Then on this thread I read about setting the CO and found he had reset it on 6! Bogged low, bogged high and had never run properly while I owned it. It is now at 0 and runs a lot better.
fred flintstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 05:29 AM   #30919
GSBS
FunHog

Oddometer: 3,900
FYI - WR-R stuff for sale...

I just posted a few odds and ends take-off WR-R parts (stock saddle, stock silencer, stock tank, T63 rear) that are cluttering up my garage on the flea market here.
GSBS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 07:22 AM   #30920
Pantah
Patriot Nation?

Oddometer: 10,102
Quote:
Originally Posted by doxbike View Post
I found a local 2010 WR250R with just over 350 miles on it with an asking price of $3600. Thought it sounded good and with all the great reviews on here and elsewhere, I went to look at it and was disappointed as could be. My XT225 (that I shouldn't have sold) handled so much better and easier that I couldn't believe it. Handle bars seem very narrow and bike feels very short in the wheelbase).Very twitchy and wouldn't hold a line worth a damn in the corners (pavement). Owner is clueless, thought he raised it by putting 18" tires on it (front was 21"), didn't look at the back. He has made no mods except dull black decals over the blue and white graphics. He said it was really fast and had had it to 115 mph?? Seemed really doggy to me. What am I missing here?
I bought mine last year with 1200 miles on it. Your bike has been sitting a long time as mine was. It took a couple weeks of riding it for things to loosen up. The clutch was grabby for example and the motor was more like a scooter. I was VERY unhappy at first.

The more I rode it the better it got, though. I put the stock sprockets back on it and that made it better in the city. It took about 2 months to get used to the power delivery, though. I was over reving it and not using the torque that it has. It actually has nice shift points that make the bike feel snappy.

I have about 9k miles on it now and am very happy. After an oil and filter the tranny/clutch got much sweeter. I've come to like the motor character, and it's plenty fast. My top speed is about 90mph at sea level but I cruise in the mid 60's on the highway. When I hit the throttle stop on a grade, I just downshift and the bike speeds right up to my cruise speed and I can back off the stop. If it does it in 5th, I drop to 4th and repeat. She'll pull 65 easy in 4th.

My suspension was very stiff at first, but broke in nicely after doing the CDR last year. You are right that the bike is short. Maybe 2 inches shorter than say a KTM. But it works well and is the smoothest single I've ever ridden.

The biggest improvement for me was when I mounted T63 tires.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 08:23 AM   #30921
byron555
Lame Duck Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,122
I see a theme here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred flintstone View Post
My PO did similar with the suspension, which was quickly fixed, but also messed with the CO setting. Now THAT I did not know about for quite a while and just rode the bike figuring all small singles ran that bad. Then on this thread I read about setting the CO and found he had reset it on 6! Bogged low, bogged high and had never run properly while I owned it. It is now at 0 and runs a lot better.

To get a good price on a used WRr find a PO that completely screwed up the settings on the bike

No wonder Honda's new CRF is devoid of all this... they expect a large portion of sales going to this crowd. I would be willing to bet that a good portion of people that sold WRr's barely used expected them to be more idiot proof more entry level Honda'ish... Not that the WRr is a KTM, but it is more like a KTM than the other Japanese Dual Sports.

I'm sure these same owners could completely screw up a KTM suspension too
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=997633
byron555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 08:33 AM   #30922
coresports
coresports

Oddometer: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by doxbike View Post
I found a local 2010 WR250R with just over 350 miles on it with an asking price of $3600. Thought it sounded good and with all the great reviews on here and elsewhere, I went to look at it and was disappointed as could be. My XT225 (that I shouldn't have sold) handled so much better and easier that I couldn't believe it. Handle bars seem very narrow and bike feels very short in the wheelbase).Very twitchy and wouldn't hold a line worth a damn in the corners (pavement). Owner is clueless, thought he raised it by putting 18" tires on it (front was 21"), didn't look at the back. He has made no mods except dull black decals over the blue and white graphics. He said it was really fast and had had it to 115 mph?? Seemed really doggy to me. What am I missing here?
i went from an xt225 to a brand new 08 wrr and i thought (at first) it was a dog and regretted making the switch... your bike is not even broken-in yet, mine was REALLY tight (motor-wise) until i hit 1,000 miles or so then it really got loose and rev'd like i thought it should. i would grab a manual off the 'net if you don't have one already, set ALL of your suspension settings back to stock if they are not (just to get a baseline for you). after that, ride it like you stole it, ie: rev the crap out of it! you may just need some more seat time after that just to get used to it, these are 2 totally different bikes with different motors & suspensions, frame, ect. if the PO mucked with other stuff too, ie: lowered the rear suspension w/out lowering the front, ect. you may still need to tweak it but you will be happy in the end, hang in there! these bikes track like they are on rails (for a DS) super stable. i can't imagine how far behind anyone on an xt225 would be vs this bike on the street and in the trails and woops (nice suspension upgrade from an xt).
coresports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 08:57 AM   #30923
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Oddometer: 6,827
Its also a matter of knowing how to ride the bike you own. I came to the WRR from a DRZ 400. The DRZ has/had so much more lower end power, it was a big adjustment. Once you get used to where the "powerband" of the bike is, and learn to ride in it, the WRR is fine. Typically, "thumpers" make their power down lo, so again, it takes getting used to revving the thing(WRR) a lot.

I used to ride a GSXR 600 on the track, as my track bike, and ride an SV1000 on the street. Both bikes have about 110 HP's, but one is an RPM bike and the other is a torque bike, and you ride them totally differently.
DougZ73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 08:59 AM   #30924
fred flintstone
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by byron555 View Post
To get a good price on a used WRr find a PO that completely screwed up the settings on the bike

No wonder Honda's new CRF is devoid of all this... they expect a large portion of sales going to this crowd. I would be willing to bet that a good portion of people that sold WRr's barely used expected them to be more idiot proof more entry level Honda'ish... Not that the WRr is a KTM, but it is more like a KTM than the other Japanese Dual Sports.

I'm sure these same owners could completely screw up a KTM suspension too
Almost every used bike I have ever bought that had something adjustable, it has been adjusted wrong or poorly. Worst seems to be always suspension, if it has a knob to turn PO invariably turns it as stiff as it can go. No doubt to reflect his extreme requirements or whatever, I don't know. I had thought modern fuel injection was idiot-proof but I guess I was wrong.
fred flintstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 11:25 AM   #30925
sturgeon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 919
Quote:
Almost every used bike I have ever bought that had something adjustable, it has been adjusted wrong or poorly.
Or, more likely, not suited to you and your riding conditions. Just as your settings wouldn't likely suit me any better than the factory settings did.
Old 10-07-2012, 01:38 PM   #30926
pfy50
Professional nOOb

Oddometer: 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Fisherman View Post
Check your air filter...
Hey Fisherman,

This what I wrote over on the WRR/X forum:

Just got back from running 2 test runs on the WRR. First test was I upped the 5th place digit from 4 to 6 as you suggested(motokid: ID). No difference what so ever from my limited 15 mile loop which included curves, hills and straights. Only when I got going down a long steep hill could I even briefly see 84mph and 10,000rpm. On the flats I had trouble maintaining 69-71mph @ around 78-8100rpm. I even looked at the filter as suggested over on the ADVrider forum; (it was fairly clean) so I removed it for 2nd run, and was able to get it to rev a little freer, but not much more W.O.T. response. Tomorrow I will have to remove the programmer and try another run to see what effect it has. Do you have any other suggestions to try, I don't want to have the bike down for any length of time as this is a primo time of the year for me for riding.
pfy50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 02:25 PM   #30927
byron555
Lame Duck Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,122
Not all PO's

Quote:
Almost every used bike I have ever bought that had something adjustable, it has been adjusted wrong or poorly. Worst seems to be always suspension, if it has a knob to turn PO invariably turns it as stiff as it can go. No doubt to reflect his extreme requirements or whatever, I don't know. I had thought modern fuel injection was idiot-proof but I guess I was wrong.
My old xr650L was a flood salvage, only required a carb cleaning, battery and engine flush to get running. Anyway, the suspension was pretty good when I got it, I never adjusted the dampening at all, only the preload. Best $525 I ever spent.

The WR had forks set different from each other (near max rebound), and the shock was set at near full compression and no rebound when my dad bought it and the PO lost the manual to dial in the stock settings. The rear was lowered and so was the front end, but the front was lowered too much. On trails the rear end was all over the place.... PO: "I tuned the suspension for better handling" .... That is what my dad told me.

Not trying to bash on Honda dual sports, my dad has a crf230L as well, and the suspension works well from factory for a wide variety of riders under 190 lbs and not too aggressive. I am too heavy for it combined with slightly too aggressive, but it handled washboards etc better than the WR when we first bought the WR.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=997633
byron555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 03:23 PM   #30928
NL-Patrick
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Next to safaritanks and IMS are there anymore that produce extra large fuel tanks?

Gr Patrick
NL-Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 03:46 PM   #30929
jefmad
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 634
Quote:
Originally Posted by NL-Patrick View Post
Next to safaritanks and IMS are there anymore that produce extra large fuel tanks?

Gr Patrick
Those are the only two for the WR250R/X.
jefmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 05:01 PM   #30930
Ronin ADV
Gear addict

Oddometer: 594
Quote:
Originally Posted by NL-Patrick View Post

Gr Patrick

Dont forget Rotopax.
Joking aside I put the 3.7 Safari on a little while back and I love that tank. Great range, protects the radiator, and I can look down at it and instantly know how much fuel I have left (I got the translucent one). I have not noted any significant change in handling of the bike with the bigger tank either.
Red dirt, rocks and sand; Riding the southern UTBDR, WR250R vs EXC 500 - a comparison
Ronin ADV is offline   Reply With Quote