Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-2012, 03:37 AM   #30931
flatboarder
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by fred flintstone View Post
I had thought modern fuel injection was idiot-proof but I guess I was wrong.
Nothing on this planet is idiot proof. It just takes a better idiot in case.
As soon as one starts to fiddle with the stock controller or an aftermarket controller or whatever without using professional equipment to fine tune settings for *every* riding condition, this is a dangerous and error prone procedure. Just throwing in some mods "everyone does" and connecting some controller with some friends map will certainly not work out of the box, might destroy the engine (which actually is pretty undestructible) and cannot be blamed on "modern fuel injection".

Professionals take lots of money to adjust a fuel controller for a specific bike. At least over here this is a real expensive task.

BTW my WR250R has been working flawlessly for 31.000km now. Not one single issue, no matter where or at what conditions I rode. Engine, injection, fuel pump, fuel consumption, everything is just fine like on the first day. And this is the reason why I will not spend one single thought on changing this, poking into the diag mode, deactivating any peripheral controls or whatever. What for?
Regards, Phil
flatboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 04:07 AM   #30932
fred flintstone
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 514
Quote:
Originally Posted by sturgeon View Post
Or, more likely, not suited to you and your riding conditions. Just as your settings wouldn't likely suit me any better than the factory settings did.
I am not sure how maxing out rebound compression and preload plus setting CO to 6 would be proper for anyone's conditions, but I see your point. A 1150 GSA I bought from a guy barely over 5 ft tall who never took it off road had done the same thing to the suspension, and then got a lowered seat for it because it was "too tall". Etc. etc. If there is a knob people tend to want to turn it, often to 11 it seems.
fred flintstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 04:19 AM   #30933
TBird1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatboarder View Post
Not one single issue, no matter where or at what conditions I rode. Engine, injection, fuel pump, fuel consumption, everything is just fine like on the first day. And this is the reason why I will not spend one single thought on changing this, poking into the diag mode, deactivating any peripheral controls or whatever. What for?
Regards, Phil
AMEN, brother! I love the 70 MPG. Why screw with that? I also like the fact that the exhaust doesn't choke me like that from my older street-only bike. Clean emissions DO count for something. I only wish they provided the O2 sensor for "closed-loop" operation like the non-USA models.
TBird1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 06:39 AM   #30934
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Oddometer: 6,688
Quote:
Originally Posted by fred flintstone View Post
I am not sure how maxing out rebound compression and preload plus setting CO to 6 would be proper for anyone's conditions, but I see your point. A 1150 GSA I bought from a guy barely over 5 ft tall who never took it off road had done the same thing to the suspension, and then got a lowered seat for it because it was "too tall". Etc. etc. If there is a knob people tend to want to turn it, often to 11 it seems.
Just so its clear, there is rebound damping, and compression damping, and they are two different things.
DougZ73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 06:44 AM   #30935
fred flintstone
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougZ73 View Post
Just so its clear, there is rebound damping, and compression damping, and they are two different things.
Thanks, yes I am aware of that. Suspension tuning is a black art.

edit: The other thing the PO had done that I did not like so much but came to like later was he put on over-sized Maxxis Desert IT tires (140's in back and very tall). So maybe he was tweaking damping to try to match those tires, which only seem to work well at relatively low pressures, so that the tall/soft sidewall do most of the work. Still not sure what the CO set at 6 was for.

Anyway SOP for me now is, on a used bike when something is adjustable, set it back to factory spec where possible and then go from there. With the CO it was not immediately apparent it had been messed with, nor did I know that was possible until I read about it here.

fred flintstone screwed with this post 10-08-2012 at 07:01 AM
Old 10-08-2012, 06:55 AM   #30936
flatboarder
Gnarly Adventurer

The key to successfully using stock suspension in my case was to understand that adjusting of rebound and compression damping are not at all independent from each other. For me it was required to find my optimum settings by adjusting both of them and analysing the result.
However, I have a simple use case: better on road with supermoto wheels and lowered/shortened stock rear shock vs. better at offroad with enduro wheels and long rear shock.
I was not at all lucky just changing rebound settings for instance.
I had to combine rebound and compression settings until I had found a way it would fit for myself. And that worked out. No racetrack settings, for sure, but perfectly ok for road usage in my case.
Regards, Phil
Old 10-08-2012, 07:23 AM   #30937
EEKAMOUSE
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 245
Has anyone installed a manual cam chain tensioner on this bile yet and if so where can I find the info on this. Thx for the help in advance!
EEKAMOUSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 07:28 AM   #30938
fred flintstone
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatboarder View Post
The key to successfully using stock suspension in my case was to understand that adjusting of rebound and compression damping are not at all independent from each other. For me it was required to find my optimum settings by adjusting both of them and analysing the result.
However, I have a simple use case: better on road with supermoto wheels and lowered/shortened stock rear shock vs. better at offroad with enduro wheels and long rear shock.
I was not at all lucky just changing rebound settings for instance.
I had to combine rebound and compression settings until I had found a way it would fit for myself. And that worked out. No racetrack settings, for sure, but perfectly ok for road usage in my case.
Regards, Phil
FWIW on this bike with the big tires it seems the following in order of influence on handling feel (subjective of course, plus I am not very aggressive off road)

1. Tire pressures
2. Ride height & F/R balance (rear tire is relatively very tall). Bike sat ass-up nose-down with the big rear, more level it is much better for my needs
3. Sag
4. Damping (R & C)

I think I have 1-3 set somewhere near OK, now working on 4. On vs off road mainly tire pressure is what I'm messing with at this point.

I come from a car road racing background, and worked in the suspension field for a long time. New to bike suspension though. Whole different world esp dirt/off road stuff.
Old 10-08-2012, 08:29 AM   #30939
sodapop
Caffeinated

Oddometer: 58
Question New "whirring" sound

Hi,

After reading a lot of this thread, I bought a 2008 WR250R with about 6600 miles on it and no engine mods. Happy to join you all. I put on a new front D606F tire and went on my first dual sport ride yesterday. Like a dumbass, I made a sharp turn in the parking lot before the ride and lost the front end. I forgot about the mold release compound on the tire. It was a slow speed lowside and scratched up the hand guard, the rear rack, and the Flatland skid plate. Anyway, a few miles down the road we stopped to regroup and I noticed a new whirring sound when I lightly blipped the throttle in neutral. It isn't really loud, but it's there, and you hear it mostly when the RPMs decrease. It's a "whir" and not a grinding sound. As best I can tell it's coming from near the clutch or the transmission.

The bike ran OK, but we did a trail section and coming down a hill with the clutch in, the engine just died. I was able to restart it with the starter before climbing back up the other side and it seemed to run fine the rest of the ride. I put about 200 miles on the bike yesterday including some long WOT highway sections with no other issues.

The other thing I screwed up, and I'll mention it just in case it might be related, is the chain. The bike has a 14/48 sprocket set on it. I took off the Sandman case saver and counter shaft cover before the ride to clean out some gunk and to move the shifter up a notch. When I put it back on, I neglected to wedge the case saver far enough toward the cases and it was apparently rubbing the chain. At the end of the ride I noticed the outside edge of the chain was newly polished. The front sprocket has a funky polish on the outside edge of every other tooth. I took the Sandman stuff off last night and there is a gouge worn in the case saver and a deep gouge in the lower cylindrical support. The chain is a Primary Drive with about 6K on it.

I know it's not a lot to go on, but has anyone experienced a weird "whirring" sound and have an idea of the cause?

Thanks.

2007 VFR800A

sodapop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 09:29 AM   #30940
what broke now
Petroleum Brother

Oddometer: 1,066
I would check the skidplate first. Is it properly fastened, etc? Maybe remove it and see if the noise goes away. Plates can both reflect noise upward, and can also harmonically create their own tones. If it bent at all, it might change the general sound of the bike some.
what broke now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:40 AM   #30941
coresports
coresports

Oddometer: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by what broke now View Post
I would check the skidplate first. Is it properly fastened, etc? Maybe remove it and see if the noise goes away. Plates can both reflect noise upward, and can also harmonically create their own tones. If it bent at all, it might change the general sound of the bike some.
+1

congrats on the purchase and welcome!
coresports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:50 AM   #30942
jckid
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 301
I just moved from a Husky SM610 to a WR250X, and I wanted to take the WR on an overnighter to get the feel of how it's going to be to travel on it. Most of our trips are in the spring and summer, so with winter fast approaching I was anxious to squeeze in a quick trial run. I haven't done my seat yet (Renazco appt. set for January), so to save myself a little misery, this ride was only about 110 miles each day. On our normal travels, we ride up to 300 miles a day.

Here's a couple pics from the trip:

It ended up being a great trial run. All of my luggage transferred nicely from the Husky to the WR. The ride included mostly twisty mountain roads, about 10 miles of four-lane freeway, and about 50 miles on a straight, fast, busy two-lane highway. We also encountered winds up to 30mph. The bike handled it all with ease, although in the wind it was affected slightly more than my heavier Husky, but not as bad as my KLX with knobbies. I found the bike perfectly comfortable cruising at a GPS verified 65. We usually only cruise around 60, so it will be more than adequate for me. In 32 degree weather I discovered that the bike is just a bit cold blooded. I took off with three other riders watching me in a lurchy, jerky sort of way, as a result of it not being warmed up. I will let it warm up for a minute next time in cold weather. And the distance worked out well, given the stock seat. 100 miles/day is about my limit. I can't wait to get the seat done! Anyway, I think it's a great bike, and it's going to work out just fine for traveling for me. I can't wait to head out on a longer trip come springtime.

WR250X ride report: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=903806
jckid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:57 AM   #30943
scottmac
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,489
Did you head up into the Sierras on your trip?

We're doing a trip up to the Markleeville area at the end of next week and are
planning on it being cold at nights, low 30's - upper 20's.
scottmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 01:01 PM   #30944
flatboarder
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jckid View Post
100 miles/day is about my limit. I can't wait to get the seat done! Anyway, I think it's a great bike, and it's going to work out just fine for traveling for me. I can't wait to head out on a longer trip come springtime.
I did 500km a day several times with the stock seat without problems. A matter of using appropriate textile wear for me. One of our trips was through parts of northern Italy.
Regards, Phil
Old 10-08-2012, 01:49 PM   #30945
jckid
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottmac View Post
Did you head up into the Sierras on your trip?

We're doing a trip up to the Markleeville area at the end of next week and are
planning on it being cold at nights, low 30's - upper 20's.
Yes, although we were farther south than Markleeville. I think your nighttime temp prediction is spot on. Have a great trip. We rode Sonora Pass two years ago and Ebbetts pass three months ago...beautiful area.

WR250X ride report: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=903806
jckid is offline   Reply With Quote