Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2012, 05:11 PM   #30961
EEKAMOUSE
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 294
Hey does anyone have info on a manual cam chain tensioner for the Wrr just wondering?
EEKAMOUSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:38 PM   #30962
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Oddometer: 6,827
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEKAMOUSE View Post
Hey does anyone have info on a manual cam chain tensioner for the Wrr just wondering?
Never heard of any CCT issues with the WRR/X. This motor is very different than typical thumpers, like say the DRZ 400, where most people switch to a MCCT. This motor is really more like 1/4 slice of an inline 4.
DougZ73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:48 PM   #30963
jckid
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 311
Quote:
Originally Posted by what broke now View Post
If you use a battery tender, you can use the same pigtail on the bike to power the vest while riding. Just make up an sae to gerbing [or other] adapter, assuming you know how to solder and use shrink tubing.
I am sure there are kits to get as fancy as you want, also.
I do have a battery tender. I didn't know the pigtail could be used that way. That sounds like a great, simple solution so I can get my vest before it gets really cold. My husband does do soldering. So there's nothing more complicated required? Just solder the part that would go into the pigtail to the appropriate plug for the vest? No relays, fuses, or other stuff required?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_l View Post
Thanks for this. I think I may try the solution above to get my vest asap, but when we have more time, I'm going to check into this setup further. Eventually I"d like to have a power source for my GPS and maybe add heated gloves or grips as well.

WR250X ride report: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=903806
jckid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:49 PM   #30964
what broke now
Petroleum Brother

Oddometer: 1,267
"No relays, fuses, or other stuff required?"

The battery tender brand pigtail includes a fuseholder with a 7 amp fuse in it already. My gerbing jacket is 76 watts,eg, so that 7 amp is perfect for it.
All you need is to make a cable [16 gauge automotive primary wire is fine] with the battery tender style [sae] plug on one end, and your compatible style plug for the vest on the other. Make the cable long enough to suit the vest riding condition. When done riding, remove the vest adaptor cable, and you are back to a tender connection.

Get a thermostat control for the vest so you don't cook yourself.
what broke now is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:52 PM   #30965
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 10,668
Quote:
"No relays, fuses, or other stuff required?"

The battery tender brand pigtail includes a fuseholder with a 7 amp fuse in it already. My gerbing jacket is 76 watts,eg, so that 7 amp is perfect for it.
All you need is to make a cable [16 gauge automotive primary wire is fine] with the battery tender style [sae] plug on one end, and your compatible style plug for the vest on the other. Make the cable long enough to suit the vest riding condition. When done riding, remove the vest adaptor cable, and you are back to a tender connection.

Get a thermostat control for the vest so you don't cook yourself.
Depending on the vest that may not even be needed. An Aerostich vest has the 2 wire SAE / Tender connection, it plugs right in.

My Smugmug Galleries
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:02 PM   #30966
what broke now
Petroleum Brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeefZah View Post
Depending on the vest that may not even be needed. An Aerostich vest has the 2 wire SAE / Tender connection, it plugs right in.

Heck, yeah! As long as the cable is long enough, good to go... just don't forget to unplug before you walk away for coffee!
Old 10-09-2012, 07:05 PM   #30967
OldPete
Be aware

Oddometer: 4,512
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEKAMOUSE View Post

I want an R2 real bad so I'm reading a bunch.

Check the parts changes by year here... http://www.rickramsey.net/WR250Rmods.htm
Looks like twice it was up-graded and the better is for 2012.

Manual adjuster here... http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=782813

Little something here... http://wr250rforum.forumotion.com/t7...hain-tensioner

I will buy used and would consider a manual type at the first sign of chain noise. Just me though. My K75s makes a racket but it will be sold.
OldPete is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:08 PM   #30968
Blaise W
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzbomber View Post
Go for it. I run 13/47 and I've done several 300+ mile road trip days. It's no fun trying to maintain 70+ mph for any length of time but it's fine at 55-60.
After completing the TAT with 13/47 (too high; should have been 13/49) I changed the rear to a 45 and rode 2800 mile home in four days. Averaged 700 mi per day, but one was short due to 114 F heat, and the last was 900 miles. These little bikes will do it! Ran about 65 on the interstate all the way and had no problems. DID Gold x-ring chain, no adjustment the whole trip, and Ironman sprocket. Good combination. Just ran another 2200 mile ride on the 13/47 as it was mostly good gravel and pavement, and still no adjustment needed. Lube every day, whether it's needed or not.

Blaise W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:38 PM   #30969
Pantah
Patriot Nation?

Oddometer: 10,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by jckid View Post
I want to add a power outlet so I can run a heated vest during the winter. Is there a kit available that comes with everything I would need? And is there a write-up anywhere with step by step instructions on how to do the install? I've found lots of info on how people accomplish this, but nothing that has complete instructions on how to do it. My hubby and I have completely wired two bikes with Baja Designs dual-sport kits, and it was easy, but that was because we had step by step instructions. We've also wired accessories on my Jeep, but again, with instructions.
Powerlet offers a cable with a SAE plug at one end and a pigtail on the other end. Plug the SAE into your battery tender cable and jacket liner into the pigtail. $20

Gerbing offers a jacket liner harness for $10. It has the pigtail plug. I bought two and spliced the second one running the pigtail to the bars for my GPS.

Google up their websites.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:41 PM   #30970
LoFlow
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 953
2800 miles in 4 days after doing the TAT...
Old 10-09-2012, 07:41 PM   #30971
EEKAMOUSE
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 294
Thx OldPete appreciate the help!
EEKAMOUSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:36 PM   #30972
PYG RYDR
Adventure-Dual Sport

Oddometer: 376
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaisew View Post
After completing the TAT with 13/47 (too high; should have been 13/49) I changed the rear to a 45 and rode 2800 mile home in four days. Averaged 700 mi per day, but one was short due to 114 F heat, and the last was 900 miles. These little bikes will do it! Ran about 65 on the interstate all the way and had no problems. DID Gold x-ring chain, no adjustment the whole trip, and Ironman sprocket. Good combination. Just ran another 2200 mile ride on the 13/47 as it was mostly good gravel and pavement, and still no adjustment needed. Lube every day, whether it's needed or not.
What tires you run'in?

TIA
There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it.
Only the wisest of humans achieve the second.
Logan Pearsall Smith
PYG RYDR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:55 PM   #30973
Mr. Fisherman
PROUD 2B Riff Raff!

Oddometer: 10,656
Quote:
If you use a battery tender, you can use the same pigtail on the bike to power the vest while riding. Just make up an sae to gerbing [or other] adapter, assuming you know how to solder and use shrink tubing.
I am sure there are kits to get as fancy as you want, also.
STOP!

DO NOT use the pig tail that came with the tender.... it is very likely to have thinner gauge wires which could overheat with the increased heated gear amperage. Use a pig tail that is supplied with the heated gear. I recommend the ones from Warm and Safe.

YMMV, just don't melt your harness... you will regret it.
Mr. Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:04 PM   #30974
Blaise W
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by PYG RYDR View Post
What tires you run'in?

TIA
I changed to Kenda 761's in Oregon after using D606's on the TAT. The Kendas were great on the road, and barely showed any wear after getting home. I have them in the garage and will put them on during periods when not dual sporting. It sure made a difference runing down the superslab; smooth and quiet. And, my last post was incorrect. Last trip was with the 13/45. No need for lower gearing on that one.
Blaise W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:44 PM   #30975
what broke now
Petroleum Brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Fisherman View Post
STOP!

DO NOT use the pig tail that came with the tender.... it is very likely to have thinner gauge wires which could overheat with the increased heated gear amperage. Use a pig tail that is supplied with the heated gear. I recommend the ones from Warm and Safe.

YMMV, just don't melt your harness... you will regret it.
The battery tender pigtail has a 7 amp fuse in it, same rating as the jacket liner.
I've run it hot enough to cook Hebrew Nationals for hours, never a problem.