Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-30-2012, 07:07 AM   #31276
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 10,460
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSF1200S View Post
I am OBSESSED with this bike because it is awesome (unlike you).
What are you, twelve?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSF1200S
Do you mean to tell me some dude who goes and buys a WR250R and doesnt read on it (just rides it) is suddenly more qualified to address issues that he may have no experience with than someone else who has the accrued wisdom of thousands of owners because he takes the time to research the bike?
Well, first, you're presuming I haven't done my research. The fact that I'm on this thread, and contribute to it, should disprove that theory. But be that as it may, yeah; I'm telling you that in the real world, doing is always better than scheming; knowing is always better then believing. I'll take my combined 33,000 + miles of learning two of these bikes, and learning what works and what doesn't work over your 33,000+ Google searches for "schweet WR250R awesomeness".

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSF1200S
You go ahead and keep drinking the K&N koolaid btw. Make sure you list it in your for sale ads so I can be sure to avoid your bike.
Part A, bike not for sale

Part B, I don't sell to utter toolbags, or at the very least I charge a significant d-bag premium

Part C, not drinking any "koolaid"; I could actually care less about the K&N, but it came on the bike when I bought it and I'm too busy enjoying my WR to waste time and money changing it out. I will add that the filter worked just fine on a recent 1150 mile, 4 day off road trip I took to the UP, which is a pretty sandy place - you know, sandy like what's in your vagina.

Last thought, I deal with enough utter morons at work, so my tolerance for ADV idiots is very thin. Ergo, you be now blocked.

Focker... out!

My Smugmug Galleries

MeefZah screwed with this post 10-30-2012 at 08:40 AM
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 08:49 AM   #31277
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Oddometer: 6,810
Scott: Broken 60CSx mount??

DougZ73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:11 AM   #31278
Scott_PDX
Leisure Engineer

Oddometer: 2,702
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougZ73 View Post
Scott: Broken 60CSx mount??
Nah - That's the RAM mount version. Kinda looks broken, but details are just being lost in my shop clutter. The RAM version works great BTW. Easy to switch to different bikes also.

My MotovLog (Youtube Videos): http://www.youtube.com/user/scottb572/videos

Where Am I via SPOT (Code SCT): http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=719703
Scott_PDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 10:09 AM   #31279
StG
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
tail/side rack options

I'm trying to figure out luggage/xtra gas options, and was wondering if any of the rear/side racks out there provide any real 'crash' protection for the bike. I'm a new rider & have already dropped the bike a couple times on the dirt, so I was thinking they may be worth the extra money for that alone - yes, no, depends? How about those rotopax canisters - a bad idea for someone learning to ride or durable enough for alot of drops? TIA!
StG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 10:24 AM   #31280
Pork Butt
Save the USA

Oddometer: 59,259
Power commander V maps

anyone running a Graves full system, AIS removed, and a PC V have a map they wish to share ???

the pickings are slim on the PC site

PB
Old 10-30-2012, 10:29 AM   #31281
Rapid Dog
bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer: 9,012
I have a Powerbomb header and FMF controller if anyone is interested.
One person in line for the FMF...

Rapid Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 12:07 PM   #31282
DaymienRules
Traffic target

Oddometer: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by StG View Post
I'm trying to figure out luggage/xtra gas options, and was wondering if any of the rear/side racks out there provide any real 'crash' protection for the bike. I'm a new rider & have already dropped the bike a couple times on the dirt, so I was thinking they may be worth the extra money for that alone - yes, no, depends? How about those rotopax canisters - a bad idea for someone learning to ride or durable enough for alot of drops? TIA!
Rotopax hanging of the side is plenty durable. I've easily dropped mine 10 times on it. And laid it down on gravel at speed. Light scratching only, no damage. I have zero concerns regarding the durability. If you want luggage, buy the racks. I wouldn't recommend buying racks just for protection, considering the racks all cost more than any part they would realistically protect.
DaymienRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 01:33 PM   #31283
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_PDX View Post
Nah - That's the RAM mount version. Kinda looks broken, but details are just being lost in my shop clutter. The RAM version works great BTW. Easy to switch to different bikes also.
Oh, I see it now. You are correct, it blends into the background. I have the same exact mount. Glad to know it did not break off.
Old 10-30-2012, 02:43 PM   #31284
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 10,460
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougZ73 View Post
Oh, I see it now. You are correct, it blends into the background. I have the same exact mount. Glad to know it did not break off.
Just in case: RAM has spectacular customer service, no questions asked lifetime warranty. In the event that you ever manage to break one, they don't even require you to return the broken component - just email them a photo and an item number, and they will mail you a new part.

My Smugmug Galleries
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 04:49 PM   #31285
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeefZah View Post
Just in case: RAM has spectacular customer service, no questions asked lifetime warranty. In the event that you ever manage to break one, they don't even require you to return the broken component - just email them a photo and an item number, and they will mail you a new part.
Cool, good to know. I wish Garmin had the same service. My 60 Cx has been down for over a year...seems it does not fair well when crashing into a tree on single track. On the good side, the mount never broke.
Old 10-30-2012, 08:15 PM   #31286
Old_Crow
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
Quote:
I'm in the same boat. I went with the tractor tool tube and 30oz msr bottle for extra gas, and a better front tire (pirelli scorpion pro FIM) as crash protection for the bike My luggage solution is improvised as well: a waterproof rafting bag strapped to the back -or- a zip tied moose tail bag & back pack.

I know the safari tanks are expensive but they can stand up to all sorts of abuse. It safe to assume the rotopax fuel tanks are made of the same type of plastic. For a recent off road ride I used a double layer of gorilla tape on my frame to protect it from scrapes and it did a great job, and much cheaper than the carbon fiber frame guards! Forget about protecting the plastics it's not gonna happen. A radiator guard, skid plate, and hand guards are all the protection you really need.
Old_Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 08:29 PM   #31287
Longboardr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
Quote:
The Wolfman racks that came on my bike have had plenty of hits and taken them in stride. I'd love to loose the weight since I almost never run the bags but I like the protection for the exhaust the racks give so they've stayed on the bike.
Longboardr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 10:52 PM   #31288
StG
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaymienRules View Post
Rotopax hanging of the side is plenty durable. I've easily dropped mine 10 times on it. And laid it down on gravel at speed. Light scratching only, no damage. I have zero concerns regarding the durability. If you want luggage, buy the racks. I wouldn't recommend buying racks just for protection, considering the racks all cost more than any part they would realistically protect.
Good to hear about those rotopax. Ya know, I didn't even think about what parts a rack would actually protect - I just assumed everything that breaks would be pricey to replace.

Old Crow - I already have a skid plate & handguards. Do most of you put on radiator guards - I'm not sure if I read some people having heating issues? Living in the SW desert, the roads/trails can get a bit rocky, but also pretty darn hot.

longboardr - If ya ever decide to lose the extra weight, let me know. Those wolfman racks look nice & probably would be the way I'd go if I get racks.
StG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 11:07 PM   #31289
DefyInertia
Saratogian

Oddometer: 153
Dang that is more than I was Hoping the fuel pumps would be. Thanks for the info.

I have an 08 with original fuel pump but just bought the iMS 4.7 so I was thinking about getting a spare pump....reconsidering now.
Old 10-31-2012, 03:33 AM   #31290
GSF1200S
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 975
Quote:
What are you, twelve?

Well, first, you're presuming I haven't done my research. The fact that I'm on this thread, and contribute to it, should disprove that theory. But be that as it may, yeah; I'm telling you that in the real world, doing is always better than scheming; knowing is always better then believing. I'll take my combined 33,000 + miles of learning two of these bikes, and learning what works and what doesn't work over your 33,000+ Google searches for "schweet WR250R awesomeness".
No, I did not assume that. Considering your experience with the bike, you no doubt know more than I do. I had more knowledge of the bike than the person asking about its reliability, so while clearly stating that I did not own it, I gave him the results of my research. Thank you for insulting me because I have a strong desire to own a WR250R that you are fortunate enough to have; I like many others here, live to escape the boring confines of societal expectation and the WR is my idea of how I would like to escape. I may be "12" for strongly desiring a motorcycle, but I am not "12" for name-calling and insulting others. Even your manner of using "schweet" screams of elitist dismissal as me being some kind of idiot- I have much to learn, WR's to buy, and I am by no means a genius, but calling me an idiot is ridiculous especially when you dont know a damn thing about me.

Quote:
Part A, bike not for sale

Part B, I don't sell to utter toolbags, or at the very least I charge a significant d-bag premium

Part C, not drinking any "koolaid"; I could actually care less about the K&N, but it came on the bike when I bought it and I'm too busy enjoying my WR to waste time and money changing it out. I will add that the filter worked just fine on a recent 1150 mile, 4 day off road trip I took to the UP, which is a pretty sandy place - you know, sandy like what's in your vagina.

Last thought, I deal with enough utter morons at work, so my tolerance for ADV idiots is very thin. Ergo, you be now blocked.

Focker... out!
Utter toolbags? D-bag premium? Why, because I dont own a WR250R? Because I offered information on a motorcycle Ive read quite a bit about while also qualifying the fact that I didnt own it but am instead in the process of looking at one? The guy wanted to know how reliable it was, and incidentally I gave him the same answer as all your experience gave- the bike is a brick and runs forever. How many engines have you rebuilt? How many times have you rebuilt a classic car from scratch, or delved into an aircraft's electrical system? Does this knowledge that I have worked hard to gain mean anything compared to your 33000 miles of saddle time? Im no WR expert, but I know a good design when I see one.

Sand in my vagina? K&N filters do not have the filtration characteristics of OEM filters or TwinAir filters, and this has been discussed in many forums. I was admittedly upset with your elitism and complete willingness to cast me off as some moron because I didnt have magical saddle time, but I certainly did not call you a bunch of names like "utter moron", "utter toolbag", and "d-bag". What, are you 12?

Ill bow out here guys. I guess my problem is that I cannot stand people who treat others like trash for no reason. Then, I go on some moral crusade trying to defend myself and others which then becomes a pissing match for the guy who likes to insult. Sorry to pollute your thread and enjoy your bikes

One of these days when I can find one in stock or for-sale used, ill be back..
GSF1200S is offline   Reply With Quote