Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-2012, 09:34 AM   #31531
DougZ73
Lacks Freetime

Oddometer: 6,647
Automotive Machine & Supply Tail rack, and Wolfman racks....and Dirtbagz..since I already had them. Best set up for me.

(BTW...all of a sudden pics from PB are coming up larger than they used to..annoys me. If anyone knows how to remedy tat, feel free to share.)

With bags:
DougZ73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:48 AM   #31532
pantera1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfy50 View Post
TNX WW Ronin,

That is what I needed to find out before doing another this farkle don't fit with that farkle mistake; (Lot of experience with that problem on my KTM 990) Does anyone sell a large area flatplate rack for the rear that just uses the 4 top threaded bolts like the pro moto racks? I'm trying to get a wider mounting surface than the smaller triangle shape racks to support a medium size ortlieb bag and camping gear. Yes you can use the small triangle racks, but I'd like to try for a little more support and attachment points.
http://www.immixracing.com/cargo-rac...argo-rack.html

I was looking for something other than a triangle rack also...and bought the Immix Racing one. It uses 2 of the 4 bolt holes in the middle of the fender. The other forward attachment point uses the fender bolts under the seat. Love this rack.
1991 Yamaha TW200
2008 WR250R
pantera1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:47 AM   #31533
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 9,946
I am using a Happy Trails plate over a Wolfman system. The plate is a big old thing but it supports medium Wolfman duffel. It's probably too big also, but at least is rolls down small enough and can hold more than I carry:

Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 12:21 PM   #31534
TwilightZone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,637
My setup... 3.1 IMS tank, Wolfman racks,1 gal Rotopax, Wolfman bags. The tent and Kermit chair end up on top.
The bags hold sleeping bag, exped air matress, cooking stuff... etc. Wear a small backpack too, used to hold
put on/take off riding gear. Wolfman tail bag, Tusk fender bag and a small Wolfman tank bag typically stay
on the bike for everyday use.

Old 11-16-2012, 12:24 PM   #31535
DougZ73
Lacks Freetime

RE: White side panels??

How do some of you guys keep your white side panels so white/clean??

I know the Mr Clean magic eraser trick, and use it every time I was the bike. BUT, no matter whether I sit and ride, or stand and ride( most of time), my side panels always get hella dirty.
Old 11-16-2012, 12:51 PM   #31536
mpatch
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 770
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougZ73 View Post

I know the Mr Clean magic eraser trick, and use it every time I was the bike. BUT, no matter whether I sit and ride, or stand and ride( most of time), my side panels always get hella dirty.
I use brake cleaner it gets most of the grime off.
mpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 12:52 PM   #31537
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 9,946
Quote:

Mine haven't been real white for awhile. They get chaffed from the grit and ride gear. But I use 409 on them after every dirt ride so it looks pretty good in a picture

Not as bad as yours, though. You probably have a lot more seat time than me. I keep mine in AZ and only visit it for a month or six weeks every year. It's all desert fire roads, though, so mine will probably look like yours this spring.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 01:18 PM   #31538
Rapid Dog
bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer: 8,942
...a n old skool secret for keeping yer plastic clean...gas-o-line...

Rapid Dog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 03:40 PM   #31539
gmtech
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
just got off the phone with justgastanks they say they are SURE that the tanks and hardwear kits are coming in next monday or tuesday and they should ship then
i think what was really goin down is that they just wanted to wait for there next batch of tanks to come in to get the hardwear i dont think they wanted to have a extra order sent over
so i guess well see

i thought about ims too but i am stuck on safari tanks!!!
dammit i want it!
gmtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 03:44 PM   #31540
DougZ73
Lacks Freetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpatch View Post
I use brake cleaner it gets most of the grime off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post
Mine haven't been real white for awhile. They get chaffed from the grit and ride gear. But I use 409 on them after every dirt ride so it looks pretty good in a picture

Not as bad as yours, though. You probably have a lot more seat time than me. I keep mine in AZ and only visit it for a month or six weeks every year. It's all desert fire roads, though, so mine will probably look like yours this spring.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid Dog View Post
...a n old skool secret for keeping yer plastic clean...gas-o-line...

Thanks for the replies guys. As you can see in my highly photo-whored ( ) picture of my bike when just cleaned, using the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser, I get them pretty clean.

The hard part I find is keeping them clean..especially for pictures on the trail. I could literally wash the bike, take it for a ride, and 1/2 into ride, they'd be dirty again. And it does not seem to matter if I wear over or under style riding pants, or which pants I wear.

Old 11-16-2012, 04:28 PM   #31541
DougZ73
Lacks Freetime

While I am on a posting frenzy, I have some thoughts on carrying extra fuel. I have been seeing a lot of people posting about buying these bigger after market tanks, and consequently having plenty of issues with them.

It makes me wonder how much fuel capacity is typically being gained?? And is it worth all the head aches of changing tanks, swapping the fuel pumps( and potentially breaking that angle thing), and the wing/vacuum pump issues?

Unfortunately, I do not have any long trips in my near future, where I would require going a long distance and needing extra fuel. BUT, if I were gonna do a larger fuel consumption setup, it would probably be the stock tank, and two one gallon RotoPax, bolted to the tail rack. That would be 4 gallons of fuel capacity. if I needed more than that, I would potentially also get one of those flexible fuel bladders, for an addition gallon( total 5 gallons)

Thoughts?
Old 11-16-2012, 04:30 PM   #31542
pfy50
Professional nOOb

Oddometer: 421
Quote:
Originally Posted by pantera1 View Post
http://www.immixracing.com/cargo-rac...argo-rack.html

I was looking for something other than a triangle rack also...and bought the Immix Racing one. It uses 2 of the 4 bolt holes in the middle of the fender. The other forward attachment point uses the fender bolts under the seat. Love this rack.
TNX pantera 1;

I looked at it. It looks like the Immix rack may have the same problem as the TCI 'Borrega' rack mentioned above where it mounts to the subframe side would interfere with the Wolfman rack mounts I have. There might be a way around the wolfman racks using spacers or washers, but that would mean buying the Immix rack and taking a chance that it will work. That is why I will probably go with some type of mounted top plate like the Happy trails or Automotive machine shop rack(so far).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post
I am using a Happy Trails plate over a Wolfman system. The plate is a big old thing but it supports medium Wolfman duffel. It's probably too big also, but at least is rolls down small enough and can hold more than I carry:
Yes Pantah;
That is also what I'm interested in only I was hoping they would have more attachment points across the front and rear(never to few points)
pfy50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 05:15 PM   #31543
Just Bob
Been There Done That

Oddometer: 257
I get by fine with the stock tank, but am considering the 3 gal model just to switch from steel to plastic to save weight.

Quote:
While I am on a posting frenzy, I have some thoughts on carrying extra fuel. I have been seeing a lot of people posting about buying these bigger after market tanks, and consequently having plenty of issues with them.

It makes me wonder how much fuel capacity is typically being gained?? And is it worth all the head aches of changing tanks, swapping the fuel pumps( and potentially breaking that angle thing), and the wing/vacuum pump issues?

Unfortunately, I do not have any long trips in my near future, where I would require going a long distance and needing extra fuel. BUT, if I were gonna do a larger fuel consumption setup, it would probably be the stock tank, and two one gallon RotoPax, bolted to the tail rack. That would be 4 gallons of fuel capacity. if I needed more than that, I would potentially also get one of those flexible fuel bladders, for an addition gallon( total 5 gallons)

Thoughts?
Old 11-16-2012, 06:11 PM   #31544
TwilightZone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,637
>"While I am on a posting frenzy, I have some thoughts on carrying extra fuel. I have been seeing a lot of people posting about buying these bigger after market tanks, and consequently having plenty of issues with them."

3.1 Gallon IMS tank doesn't have any fuel problems, replaces the stock tank. The low fuel light comes on with .5 to .6 gallons left in the tank, in mild dual-sport, that's about 160 miles to low fuel, and probably 190 or so to tank-out. I carry a 1 gallon rotopax tank on mine too. I could probably get by with .5 gallons in small bottles, the gallon of extra fuel was useful though for other bikes!

The 4,5 gallon IMS tank needs a vacuum pump to draw fuel from the lowest reaches of the tank and spray it up on the fuel pump.
I have heard a variety of problems with them, i.e. not pulling fuel from the bottom of the tank. But I dunno, there are lots of people running them... hopefully a couple of them will post up here.
Old 11-16-2012, 06:27 PM   #31545
ADVNCW
Banned

Oddometer: 341
Question 3.1 or 4.7 gal tank?

Timely. I was going to start a thread, but the discussion is right here right now!

I just pulled the trigger and cut the deal for an immaculate '09 WR250R with 1900 miles...commuting to work miles!

Bought it for the CDR next August and other trips.

What do you say, 3.1 gal tank or 4.7 gal tank?

I have been thinking I need 220 miles+ range for one part of the CDR. I could do that easily with the 3.1 gal plus my Kolpin 1.5 gal extra. And that way, I could leave the Kolpin off for trail riding, or when I do not need the long range. Last year I rode the WABDR and the distance between gas was < 90 miles.

Obviously, the 4.7 has the RANGE for big trips. But as alluded to I was wondering about possible problems not to mention the physical size affecting trail riding...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwilightZone View Post
>"While I am on a posting frenzy, I have some thoughts on carrying extra fuel. I have been seeing a lot of people posting about buying these bigger after market tanks, and consequently having plenty of issues with them."

3.1 Gallon IMS tank doesn't have any fuel problems, replaces the stock tank. The low fuel light comes on with .5 to .6 gallons left in the tank, in mild dual-sport, that's about 160 miles to low fuel, and probably 190 or so to tank-out. I carry a 1 gallon rotopax tank on mine too. I could probably get by with .5 gallons in small bottles, the gallon of extra fuel was useful though for other bikes!

The 4,5 gallon IMS tank needs a vacuum pump to draw fuel from the lowest reaches of the tank and spray it up on the fuel pump.
I have heard a variety of problems with them, i.e. not pulling fuel from the bottom of the tank. But I dunno, there are lots of people running them... hopefully a couple of them will post up here.
ADVNCW is offline   Reply With Quote